PDA

View Full Version : Cloning my iMac to my PowerBook

Love
May 24, 2008, 10:31 PM
I want to have some of my data that I have on my iMac on my PowerBook. It has Leopard and is slightly slow. The iMac has Tiger, so can I clone it using CCC or SuperDuper!? thanks for your answer. :)

Brend
May 25, 2008, 06:04 AM
If your powerbook is not a workhorse at the moment why not format the HD and do a clean install of Tiger and then at the last stage, when it offers to import user settings and data, connect the imac as a Firewire disk and let it "clone" your user account?

chas0001
May 25, 2008, 06:10 AM
Do a fresh install tiger on the Powerbook, update it to the latest version and then use migration assistant to copy over the apps, settings and user account(s).

Love
May 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well, I've ruled out doing a fresh tiger install. The only disks I have are the ones from my Intel iMac.

The problem with the fresh install is that I have an 80 GB HDD in the PowerBook with about 53 GB left, while my iTunes folder alone is 58 GB. I suppose I'll just use FW Disk mode to transfer my stuff.

CWallace
May 25, 2008, 12:08 PM
The problem with the fresh install is that I have an 80 GB HDD in the PowerBook with about 53 GB left, while my iTunes folder alone is 58 GB. I suppose I'll just use FW Disk mode to transfer my stuff.

You can save some space with the Leopard install by un-selecting some features like printers and languages. And you can trim even more by using Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/) to get rid of the PowerPC support code and such.

Love
May 25, 2008, 04:23 PM
But it's a PowerPC mac. Why would I want to delete the code for PPC?

philgilder
May 25, 2008, 05:34 PM
But it's a PowerPC mac. Why would I want to delete the code for PPC?
there are more than one type of powerpc
http://www.grabup.com/uploads/c53325e7f492637ddc8ffc1a53e2182c.png
removing all but the one for your powerbook will save space

chas0001
May 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
Well, I've ruled out doing a fresh tiger install. The only disks I have are the ones from my Intel iMac.

Ok then install Leopard on the PowerBook and use the Migration assistant. Obviously you will have to deselect itunes. Its just maths!