PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone 'Built' there own iPod?

iCantwait
May 25, 2008, 07:05 AM
i have been looking for spare iPod parts on ebay and have been surprised to see how many OEM iPod parts avaliable.
I have seen:
Backplate
Faceplate (all gens)
click wheel
Logic-board
Battery
LCD screen
Headphone/holdswitch
HDD (yet i would put in a 16gb CF card in if backplate says 20gb or under)

i have seen everything but that little white rectangle on the dock connector.

I want to have a go at it, anyone else tried? successful?

oranges
May 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'm guessing it'll cost you more than getting an already-built iPod. It's like a car: buying the whole car costs less than buying the parts individually.

Dino451
May 25, 2008, 11:40 AM
buy a working one from ebay and replace whats needed, but still may be pricey overall.

fabian9
May 25, 2008, 12:14 PM
I have fixed a broken ipod mini about a year ago... by the time I was done with it it was pretty much like buying parts to build my own one.

I had to replace the hard drive, the small connectors, the click wheel, the logic board and the battery. so after i was done the only parts left from my originial ipod were the display and the case. Why go through all this trouble? I really liked the ipod mini and i didn't want to replace it. but then the classic came out and i fell in love... lol.

when you buy ipod parts on ebay you have to be very careful. i had a couple of parts which were supposed to be working but they weren't.

in conclusion: I'd buy a new one rather than try to fix an old one or try to build one from ebay parts. :)

AidanFrench1
May 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
I know this doesn't answer your question but if you did manage to build the ipod would you be able to get the software to run it? I dare say apple don't have downloadable ipod OS on their website :confused:

Dustman
May 25, 2008, 07:43 PM
I know this doesn't answer your question but if you did manage to build the ipod would you be able to get the software to run it? I dare say apple don't have downloadable ipod OS on their website :confused:

If it's all Apple parts, then in theory it should be recognized as an iPod by iTunes, which would let you "restore" the firmware.

alphaod
May 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
Part of buying an iPod is the whole experience that goes along with it, as well as the warranty. If your DIY iPod dies, it will costly to repair it.