Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

111744-griffin_400.jpg

MacNN republishes photos from iDealsChina which claim to be case moldings from Griffin Technology for the upcoming 3G-capable iPhone. Alongside the case images is a rendering of the 3G iPhone shape.

The moldings reveal the same tapered shape that has been circulating in rumors and photos over the past few weeks. Another case manufacturer had previously posted photos of the 3G iPhone case with a very similar design - with a curved back and a larger opening for the earpiece. The larger opening is presumably there to allow for the additional sensor that has been rumored.

Article Link

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Yeah, this tells us nothing... i am much more interested in what's INSIDE the phone than what it looks like. But since it says "Griffin" it has to be somewhat reputable. Plus, this one doesnt suffer from blurrycam syndrome.

paulobrad

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Anyone feel we've seen so many similar reports on this that there must be some truth to it? Still not sure about the shiney plastic.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Here we go again, just for originality and for something else to say I'm going to call this fake.

The new iPhone has a slide out keyboard, 1 inch screen, full numeric buttons, is 1 inch thick and doesnt have 3G.

Going by that I would say these are fake.

brian4610

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
could anyone tell if the front of the 'mold' had a hole for a possible camera (i.e. ichat)?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Man, If I was a homicide detective I would post my cases online with MR. You guys are good at this. There was anther thread on this that seems to point to this new version possibly only being 1mm thicker then current gen. This was posted with some assumptions by the OP, but seems to fit.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
And why is this front page status???!!!>!>?!
I can't speak for the site admin, but maybe this deserves front page status because it's the latest confirmation of one of the most anticipated devices of the past several years that is just a couple of weeks away from being launched world-wide in one of the biggest product launches of all time? Maybe? :)

Seriously, other than two really badly made blurry fake snaps, every single rumour, leak, spy-shot, description etc. has pointed to the same device now for quite a while.

This is what rumour mongering is all about, trying to figure out which is true and which is not. These mold pictures are pretty much a solid confirmation of a new iphone, what shape it is, when it's coming out and even some of the internal details. If this doesn't make the front page, what should?

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
"MacNN republishes photos from iDealsChina..."

And MacRumors re-republishes them. Exciting stuff.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Each picture I see shows a wider area on the long sides of the screen.
Notably viewed here https://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/19/3g-iphone-case-revealed/

I hate wide bezels around screens and this new iPhone looks to be wider. But I can deal with that. If it had to be beefier, I'd rather it be wider/thin vs. narrow & thick. Still... the side edges seem bigger and since I'm greedy, my mind sees that as dead real estate that could be populated by the screen.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I have seen two versions of the new 3G iPhone. It looks like it will be available in white and black, but I am pretty sure they are just nice covers. We'll see...

Scottcop

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
No offence guys, but this whole 3g iphone is getting to be a bit obsessive, and in truth a bit boring.

edwdcook

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007
UK
They should make a new series called CSI:Apple where Mac geeks forensically go through evidence to solve mysteries

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I think, if you are an Apple fan, this is the fun time, because we just don't know what is coming around the corner, and it is very close.

For you readers that think this is too much, why are you reading this thread, go read another thread then...:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.