PDA

View Full Version : ibook G4 16bit video card upgrade?

TheSeaduckG4
May 28, 2008, 07:09 PM
If anyone out there has ever seen "Tailspin" you know what i am talking about when i call my ibook, The Seaduck. it is already as souped up as I can afford to with 1.2gb of ram.

in my system requirements I see it says

Displays:Color LCD:Depth: 32-bit Color

Is this the same thing as a video card?

I am trying to run CS3, and some things are extreemely jumpy. i am wondering if this is because of resolution or if I need a video card(CS3 requires a 16 bit video card), or maybe hard drive? (i have 30gb-9gb free).

i know the Seaduck can take a bigger hard drive, but i am not sure about video card.

Also, i have the 12" model ibook, and htis makes me feel like I am trying to write my nome on a grain of rice when I work in flash so i am wondering if I can hook my computer up to a better monitor, if you have any recomendations, and what the implications of that would be.

Thanks

Tallest Skil
May 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
It's a chip on the logic board; you can't upgrade.

Sun Baked
May 28, 2008, 07:16 PM
Yep, isn't like the old Performas with the VRAM slot.

All one board you cannot upgrade these days.

TheSeaduckG4
May 29, 2008, 01:09 AM
well, ok. it only jumps when I use the most complicated of graphics, like a vectorized bitmap for a cursor, so I am guess I'll just work around it until I can aford a better machine...

but what about connecting a monitor to my laptop to get a bigger workspace? is there any that will connect through the firewire or usb port or something? preferably one that I can use on another computer when I upgrade so i don't have to purchase twice?

jnc
May 29, 2008, 04:57 AM
As far as I know, external displays will only mirror on iBooks? You won't be able to get a better resolution than the iBook's screen.

Accylad
May 29, 2008, 05:09 AM
No way just mirror! Use screen spanning doctor, to get all the functionality of a Powerbook. I have it with mine and its great! I put an 80gb fast Hd in + a nice dvd writer. My ibook also has Front Row. Apple do like you to pay for the extras but there are always workarounds!:D