Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSeaduckG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
If anyone out there has ever seen "Tailspin" you know what i am talking about when i call my ibook, The Seaduck. it is already as souped up as I can afford to with 1.2gb of ram.

in my system requirements I see it says

Displays:Color LCD:Depth: 32-bit Color

Is this the same thing as a video card?

I am trying to run CS3, and some things are extreemely jumpy. i am wondering if this is because of resolution or if I need a video card(CS3 requires a 16 bit video card), or maybe hard drive? (i have 30gb-9gb free).

i know the Seaduck can take a bigger hard drive, but i am not sure about video card.

Also, i have the 12" model ibook, and htis makes me feel like I am trying to write my nome on a grain of rice when I work in flash so i am wondering if I can hook my computer up to a better monitor, if you have any recomendations, and what the implications of that would be.

Thanks

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yep, isn't like the old Performas with the VRAM slot.

All one board you cannot upgrade these days.

TheSeaduckG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
well, ok. it only jumps when I use the most complicated of graphics, like a vectorized bitmap for a cursor, so I am guess I'll just work around it until I can aford a better machine...

but what about connecting a monitor to my laptop to get a bigger workspace? is there any that will connect through the firewire or usb port or something? preferably one that I can use on another computer when I upgrade so i don't have to purchase twice?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
As far as I know, external displays will only mirror on iBooks? You won't be able to get a better resolution than the iBook's screen.

Accylad

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
Accrington
No way just mirror! Use screen spanning doctor, to get all the functionality of a Powerbook. I have it with mine and its great! I put an 80gb fast Hd in + a nice dvd writer. My ibook also has Front Row. Apple do like you to pay for the extras but there are always workarounds!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.