Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I tried using handbrake (on Mac) to .mp4 (normal) and only Apple TV is able to play it. My PS3 says it's not a valid file.

Is there a software or function (on Handbrake) where I can do just one DVD ripping process so that single .mp4 file can play on both the PS3 and Apple TV.

I tried creating a file on my WD Passport portable hard drive called "VIDEO" and putting the .mp4 ripped video and it's still no able to play it.

When I rip using Handbrake into the PS3 preset mode, my PS3 plays it find but my ATV doesn't recognize it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I hope you realized that the Handbrake presets might not be compatible between platforms. You're going to need some magic numbers to create a file of the best quality while maintaining compatibility between the two devices.

So you're going to be using Handbrake, again.

I hope you're not looking for iPod/Phone compatibility in addition. In my opinion you should just encode the DVD video for each device.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
I've got a ps3 and I find it so temperamental with playing mp4s. I've been converting a load of files and dvds to mp4 to stream to my ps3 and it's so unreliable - some files it plays fine, but others struggle. I'm going to get a atv to stream to as it will be so much easier - and a lot better UI!

I've also found that a load of mp4's that used to play on the ps3, now don't since tagging them with metax - don't know if this is just a coincidence that they stopped working after tagging or if the ps3 just can't handle the files.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I've got a ps3 and I find it so temperamental with playing mp4s. I've been converting a load of files and dvds to mp4 to stream to my ps3 and it's so unreliable - some files it plays fine, but others struggle. I'm going to get a atv to stream to as it will be so much easier - and a lot better UI!

I've also found that a load of mp4's that used to play on the ps3, now don't since tagging them with metax - don't know if this is just a coincidence that they stopped working after tagging or if the ps3 just can't handle the files.

I forgot this was Sony I was dealing with. Sony always wants their own formats (remember that stupid Atrac music file they were pushing). I guess Apple won that battle with their AAC/mp3 compatability.

I'll just stick with the Apple Handbrake video m4v format. I know it always works on both my PC/MAC and Apple TV.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

if you have an Apple tv then why would you want to watch the same movies on PS3? R they not in the same room or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.