PDA

View Full Version : What connector to use to utilize iPod as a storage drive?

Castel
Jun 2, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hello all,

I have an 80 GB iPod Classic which has been enabled as a hard drive. I want to take it on a trip to use as a storage drive by connecting a MicroMate USB 2.0 reader (I am getting a 4GB SanDisk SDHC card & a Panasonic TZ5 camera). I want to be able to download photos and movies from the camera to the iPod and then erase the card when needed. I contacted the Apple Store and Apple Care people and they were absolutely no help. They said no one had ever asked about using the iPod as a storage device and had no idea how to do it. I spoke to 5 different people and finally one supervisor said that Apple does not support the use of the iPod as a storage device. This despite the fact they advertise that as a use of the iPod. Can I use an Apple iPod Camera Connector or do I need something different? According to Apple's web site the Connector is compatible with 5G and Photo iPods. It has a dock connector and a USB.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTcwNDE&fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/extras&nplm=M9861G/C

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks...

robbieduncan
Jun 2, 2008, 02:40 PM
You cannot connect a card reader. When Apple say that it can be used as storage they mean as a USB hard drive: you need a computer between them as both the card reader and the iPod as slave devices: you need a master.

The camera connector is reported as not working with an iPod Classic.

Castel
Jun 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info...

tdhurst
Jun 7, 2008, 08:54 PM
The camera connector doesn't work with the classic? LAME! I love using it with my 5g iPod. Very handy.

Castel
Jun 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
Exactly! I use it all the time on trips. It allows me to leave my laptop at home. I was hoping to upgrade my iPod but now I think I will stick with the 5G...

wetnap
Jun 8, 2008, 06:56 PM
device to device without a pc controller only works with firewire.
usb is dumb as a brick.