PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event Discounts - 10% iPods, iMac Discounts


MacRumors
Nov 28, 2003, 11:20 AM
As previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031120221109.shtml), Apple is offering 10% off Music-Related Products (including iPods) at their local Apple Stores today. According to one user report, Apple is also offering $200 and $100 off the 20" and 17" iMacs respectively.

In a unique move, Apple is also offering 10% iPods and Accessories at the Online Apple Store (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=9eASk0x48lo&subid=1&offerid=13301.1&type=10&tmpid=80&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Feducation%2Fk12%2Filifeandkeynote%2F&u1=macrumors) today.

Doctor Q
Nov 28, 2003, 11:24 AM
The online version:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/promo_ipod_discount112803.html

Look on the main Apple Store page for "Save 10% on iPod & iPod Accessories" under the heading "Apple Promotions".

1. This electronic discount entitles you to 10% off the purchase of iPods and iPod accessories available on the Apple Store as identified below.

2. This offer is valid on November 28, 2003.

3. Except as otherwise provided below, electronic discounts can be redeemed online at the U.S. Apple Store or over the phone at 1-800-MY-APPLE.

4. Electronic discounts are valid at the Apple Store for Consumers, Apple Store for Business, and Apple Store for Canadian Consumers.

5. Electronic discounts are NOT valid at the Apple Store for Education Individuals, Apple Store for Education Institutions, Apple Store for Resellers, Apple Store for Canada Resellers, Apple Government Stores, Apple Store for international locations (other than specifically indicated), any online custom store sponsored by Apple, or Apple Store retail locations.

6. Electronic discounts cannot be used by resellers.

7. This offer is not valid for used, refurbished, or demonstration products.

Doctor Q
Nov 28, 2003, 11:30 AM
Here is a more readable version of the list of products eligible for the 10% discount at the online store:

iPod - 10GB
iPod - 20GB
iPod - 40GB
iPod Customized 10GB
iPod Customized 20GB
iPod Customized 40GB
Altec Lansing inMotion Portable iPod Speakers
Belkin Auto Charger w/Audio for iPod
Belkin Battery Pack for iPod
Belkin Digital FM Transmitter
Belkin FireWire CardBus Adapter for Windows
Belkin FireWire PCI Card (Windows only)
Belkin iPod Media Reader
Belkin iPod Voice Recorder
Belkin Leather10/15/20 GB iPod Case
Belkin TuneCast FM Transmitter for iPod
Belkin TuneDok Car Holder for iPod
Creative TravelSound Portable Speakers
Extra Apple iPod Power Adapter
Griffin iTrip - FM Transmitter for iPod
Griffin iTrip for new iPod
iCable for iPod Stereo 7ft.
Incase Belt for iPod
Incase Folio for New iPod
Incase Sleeve for iPod
Incase Sleeve for iPod
iPod Carrying Case with Belt Clip
iPod Dock
iPod Dock Connector to FireWire and USB 2.0 Cable (Windows PC only)
iPod Dock Connector to FireWire Cable
iPod Remote & Earphones
iPod Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cable
iSee iPod Case for 5, 10 and 20GB iPod
Jam Jacket 10/15/20GB Clear
Jam Jacket 30/40GB Clear
JBL Creature 2.1 Speakers - White
Marware iPod Sportsuit Basic - Black
Marware Sportsuit Convertible - Black
Marware Sportsuit Convertible - Graphite
Marware Sportsuit Convertible - Red
Marware SportSuit Convertible iPod Sleeve - Black
Monster iCharger for iPod
Monster iSplitter for iPod
NaviPod IR Remote for New iPod
NaviPod IR Remote for Original iPod
SendStation PocketDock
Showcase for new iPods
Sony CPA-9C Car Cassette Adapter
Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia Headphones
Sony SRS-T77 Folding Travel Speakers
World Travel Adapter Kit
XtremeMac - Car Charger for New iPods
XtremeMac - Get Connected Kit for new iPod
XtremeMac Firewire Car Charger for iPod
XtremeMac Get Connected Kit
XtremeMac Hip Tunes iPod Case Bundle
XtremeMac iPod Case Black
XtremeMac iPod Case Brown

RalphNumbers
Nov 28, 2003, 11:37 AM
Too bad they don't have these discounts at the Education Store. I might have convinced myself to get a 10GB iPod if it were 10% off education prices, but it's just 10% off normal prices (which is 10cents more than what education prices allways are for that iPod anyway).

Nutzoids
Nov 28, 2003, 11:43 AM
:( I was hoping for a cheep Christmas iPod. I have a 15 for me but I need to buy one for someone eles...Ohh well Mybe next year.

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 11:54 AM
I met 5 folks going to buy iPods today because of the 10% off sale today.

$269.10 isn't too bad of discount.

Most folks are going to the stores to get freebies as well.

rdowns
Nov 28, 2003, 12:09 PM
I stopped in the Roosevelt Field, NY store earlier today and was there for about 45 minutes. Picked up a few new accessories. Saw about a dozen iPods and 3 20" iMacs sold while I was there. Was very tempted to buy the 20" iMac but I'm holding out for a G5 (maybe at MWSF) or a price drop in January.

Freg3000
Nov 28, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
I stopped in the Roosevelt Field, NY store earlier today and was there for about 45 minutes. Picked up a few new accessories. Saw about a dozen iPods and 3 20" iMacs sold while I was there. Was very tempted to buy the 20" iMac but I'm holding out for a G5 (maybe at MWSF) or a price drop in January.

That's good to hear. I might have to stop by the Roosevelt Field store, as I live pretty close to it.

beelzeben
Nov 28, 2003, 12:16 PM
Ok, this is ridiculous.

I realise today is the day after thanksgiving and the traditional start of christmas shopping for the USA and all, but come on Apple, give the rest of the world a freakin' break!

The 10gb ipod is currently 250 (presently ~$420, yes, over 400 ...) yet no sign of any promotion anywhere this side of the pond.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Enjoy it while you can you guys :(

seanatki
Nov 28, 2003, 12:21 PM
Just stopped at the Apple Store in Germantown, TN to pick up an iTrip. Works great, but no freebies though...very disappointed. :(

Steamboatwillie
Nov 28, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by seanatki
Just stopped at the Apple Store in Germantown, TN to pick up an iTrip. Works great, but no freebies though...very disappointed. :(

Glad you mentioned it, I was going to stop buy this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up at the Germantown store.

MattG
Nov 28, 2003, 12:37 PM
Hmmm. I wonder why they elected to give 10% off of the JBL speakers and not on the Klipsch speakers I just ordered.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 28, 2003, 12:44 PM
I wish I knew wether or not I was getting an iPod for Christmas! Then I would take charge of some of these accessori deals. Does the iTrip work well?

yoman
Nov 28, 2003, 12:45 PM
Its sad that the 10% is only today and not for the rest of the Christmas season.

Oh well

TylerL
Nov 28, 2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by beelzeben
The 10gb ipod is currently 250 (presently ~$420, yes, over 400 ...)
Welcome to the wonderful US world of Tax Not Included.
UK Store: Prices are inclusive of 17.5% VAT
The approximate price before VAT would be about 210, or ~$356.74.

You're better off buying a 20GB iPod, which is only about $25 more than the US price given current exchange rates.

beelzeben
Nov 28, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by TylerL
Welcome to the wonderful US world of Tax Not Included.
UK Store: Prices are inclusive of 17.5% VAT
The approximate price before VAT would be about 210, or ~$356.74.

You're better off buying a 20GB iPod, which is only about $25 more than the US price given current exchange rates.

Very true :)

But my beef wasn't with the 20gb, it was more the fact this promotion is a US only one. Sucks to be among the other 95% population of the world.

Winston Smith
Nov 28, 2003, 01:06 PM
How tragic I wasn't born in America.

This means Apple will take my money and give me tasters of what I could get (Sherlock, (iPhoto), iTunes music store) had I been born stateside.

But the big iPod and extras orders I'd like to make will wait longer and could well never happen after receiving another international finger.

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 01:07 PM
The Canadian Apple Store website also is doing the 10% off of all iPod goods. So this apparently a North American promo not just a US promo.

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 01:11 PM
When Apple opens more retail stores overseas next yr I can bet you, you guys will get more promo's and probably some promo's for your country only.

paulhorne
Nov 28, 2003, 01:20 PM
I think this event is pretty LAME. OK so there's no $99 ipod, that rumor wasn't really believable. But given it's the first day of the xmas shopping season, and how Apple is trying to position itself with regard to Music, and the potential BILLION DOLLAR McDonalds deal and ONE HUNDRED MILLION Pepsi deal about to launch in January...

And the best they can do for holiday sales is offer a 10% discount on ONE DAY? How many people will even know about this event? And it's not being advertised on Apple.com? Add in my 8% sales tax and I'm netting a whopping 2% -- talk about slashing prices!

This is the most un-maclike promotion I've ever seen. I can only guess that this means they're just trying to unload some more ipods over the holidays before announcing the next gen units at Macworld SF.

Doctor Q
Nov 28, 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
Does the iTrip work well?The iTrip we've got works just fine. That's not a statistically significant sample size, of course. But count that as one YES vote.

Did anybody get freebies at an Apple Store? If so, what were they?

MisterG5
Nov 28, 2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by paulhorne
I think this is totally LAME -- after building up this event for so long... OK so there's no $99 ipod version, that rumor wasn't really believable. But given it's the first day of the xmas shopping season, and how Apple is trying to position itself with regard to Music, and the potential BILLION DOLLAR McDonalds deal and ONE HUNDRED MILLION Pepsi deal about to launch in January...

And the best they can do for holiday sales is offer a 10% discount on ONE DAY? How many people will even know about this event? Add in my 8% sales tax and I'm netting a whopping 2% -- talk about slashing prices!

This is the most un-maclike promotion I've ever seen. I can only guess that this means they're just trying to unload some more ipods over the holidays before announcing the next gen units at Macworld SF. Since you don't figure in the 8% sales tax on the item without the 10% off you must live in a state where they only charge sales tax on sale items, can you tell me where to buy a house?

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 01:24 PM
They were suppose to have t-shirts and cds but they probably ran out early if they even had them.

rdowns
Nov 28, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
The iTrip we've got works just fine. That's not a statistically significant sample size, of course. But count that as one YES vote.

Did anybody get freebies at an Apple Store? If so, what were they?

Nothing being given away, at least in the Long Island store.

(edit) They did have iTunes Windows CDs there and also in CompUSA.

paulhorne
Nov 28, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MisterG5
Since you don't figure in the 8% sales tax on the item without the 10% off you must live in a state where they only charge sales tax on sale items, can you tell me where to buy a house?

Actually I usually buy online from out-of-state retailers so I don't pay sales tax. There would have to be a significant benefit to purchasing something directly from an Apple store, and this certainly isn't it. Plus when you buy a computer from Macwarehouse or the other online retailers, they usually throw in RAM, a printer, etc. AND with no sales tax, it's always a much better deal than the Apple store (even with today's $100 off deal). I'm not bashing Apple or the store, because I know the stores have been vital for marketing and education. But the big music event was, I think, a missed opportunity and a lot of hype.

Stella
Nov 28, 2003, 01:44 PM
Another example of Apples - US only attitude.

Well, when Apple's only customers are US based, then they have only themselves to blame.

Even if Apple did have more stores outside the US, they wouldn't have special discounts for a country's particular holiday.

Guarenteed.

Think Secret had an article a while back that suggested Apple dislike Marketing inititives from Apple subsidary companies.

Speaks for itself.

Wakey wakey Apple. You are an international company, so start acting like one.

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 01:47 PM
Canada Store also gets the 10% discount.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore

Stella
Nov 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
How about European Stores? Fat chance.

If Apple can extend the offer to Canada, why not all other countries?

iPhoto US only service
iPod Battery replacement offer - US only
.Mac offers that are US only (ie, firewire drive offer)

...and the list continues to grow.

I didn't see other countries getting discounts for their special holidays.



Originally posted by ITR 81
Canada Store also gets the 10% discount.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 02:10 PM
They will probably get promo's we won't in the near future. Japan will have their second store by next yr. and it's already been rumored they will get a promo only offered in Japan.

Silencio
Nov 28, 2003, 02:18 PM
I ordered a 10GB iPod for my girlfriend for Xmas today in order to take advantage of the 10% discount. Lo and behold, orders placed for iPods today at the Apple Store also get free engraving. Nice little extra bonus, though I had to come up with something cute off-the-cuff.

Don't know if the offer applies to in-store purchases (do they even do laser engraving in Apple Stores?).

weave
Nov 28, 2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by beelzeben

The 10gb ipod is currently 250 (presently ~$420, yes, over 400 ...) yet no sign of any promotion anywhere this side of the pond.


To be fair, prices in UK are usually described inclusive of the 17.5% VAT while prices in US are descrbed exclusive of the local sales tax, which can be almost 10% depending on locale (or 0% for people in Delaware, New Hampshire, and Oregon and maybe one or two other states)

yoman
Nov 28, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Silencio
I ordered a 10GB iPod for my girlfriend for Xmas today in order to take advantage of the 10% discount. Lo and behold, orders placed for iPods today at the Apple Store also get free engraving. Nice little extra bonus, though I had to come up with something cute off-the-cuff.


The free laser engraving has been around for awhile and I believe its free until Dec 27 i think.

weave
Nov 28, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MisterG5
Since you don't figure in the 8% sales tax on the item without the 10% off you must live in a state where they only charge sales tax on sale items, can you tell me where to buy a house?

Move to Delaware. No sales tax on anything here! :D

synergy
Nov 28, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by paulhorne
Actually I usually buy online from out-of-state retailers so I don't pay sales tax. There would have to be a significant benefit to purchasing something directly from an Apple store, and this certainly isn't it. Plus when you buy a computer from Macwarehouse or the other online retailers, they usually throw in RAM, a printer, etc. AND with no sales tax, it's always a much better deal than the Apple store (even with today's $100 off deal). I'm not bashing Apple or the store, because I know the stores have been vital for marketing and education. But the big music event was, I think, a missed opportunity and a lot of hype.

Unless you live in a state that does not charge sales tax, you generally do have to pay sales tax on items purchased through mail order and online. In Michigan where I used to live they called it a use tax.

Freg3000
Nov 28, 2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by synergy
Unless you live in a state that does not charge sales tax, you generally do have to pay sales tax on items purchased through mail order and online. In Michigan where I used to live they called it a use tax.

My understanding is that online purchases are exempt from any sales tax, unless the company you buy from conducts has a physical business presence within the state. Most online stores have no sales less the one or two states they ship from.

Docrjm
Nov 28, 2003, 03:33 PM
Chill people. A discount is a discount!

synergy
Nov 28, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
My understanding is that online purchases are exempt from any sales tax, unless the company you buy from conducts has a physical business presence within the state. Most online stores have no sales less the one or two states they ship from.

The buyer is not exempt in most states that charge sales tax.
Online stores are exempt from collecting sales tax in states they do not maintain a physical store presence.
That does not mean you don't have to pay the sales tax, you still owe it in most cases.

Do a google search on "use tax" and you will see what I mean.

Mosco
Nov 28, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
My understanding is that online purchases are exempt from any sales tax, unless the company you buy from conducts has a physical business presence within the state. Most online stores have no sales less the one or two states they ship from.

I am pretty sure synergy is correct. You are supposed to declare your purchases. I am not sure if that depends on which state you live in though.

Anyhow, drove up to NH and bought 3 20 gig ipods at 359.10 each with no tax. Cheeper than the educational discount i would have used and didn't have to pay tax. Educational would have been about 389 per ipod after tax.

ddbean
Nov 28, 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by doc_mac
Chill people. A discount is a discount!

True, but a discount DOESN'T make it a "BIG MUSIC EVENT" either. This is pretty lame if this whole event was just 10% off retail on ipods etc, and new physical itunes gift certificates. Not worth a 50 mile drive to nearest apple store on the busiest shopping day of the year, that's for sure.

DangerDiabolik
Nov 28, 2003, 05:21 PM
yeah 10% on ONE DAY ! is no reason to get excited.

10& through DEC 24th is a plan.

ONE DAY ! LMFAO..Its not worth my grief to go to the nearest mall with an apple store. for 10 %

If it had been a price drop of substance, then its a different story.

machan
Nov 28, 2003, 05:43 PM
wtf is up with all the discount haters?

the apple stores are open til 10pm tonight, and i doubt the crowds are going to be all that big after even 7pm. i'm going out to pick up a 40 gig model with $50 off the price (which is $10 less than the edu discount). haters can stay home with nothing.

the_mole1314
Nov 28, 2003, 06:12 PM
I'm very suprised that a 5 gig iPod didn't come out, I'm going to have a talk with someone....

Sabenth
Nov 28, 2003, 06:43 PM
Like so many before me ...



discounts great

can we please now get discounts on the rest of the world please theres a huge market here and well would like to buy an iPod for my New Mac when i get one

TimDaddy
Nov 28, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by paulhorne


And the best they can do for holiday sales is offer a 10% discount on ONE DAY? How many people will even know about this event? And it's not being advertised on Apple.com? Add in my 8% sales tax and I'm netting a whopping 2% -- talk about slashing prices!


So, when there is not a sale you don't have to pay sales tax? That's a great deal for the rest of the year, then.

edit: Ok, Tim, read entire thread before replying. My bad, dude.

Freg3000
Nov 28, 2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by synergy
The buyer is not exempt in most states that charge sales tax.
Online stores are exempt from collecting sales tax in states they do not maintain a physical store presence.
That does not mean you don't have to pay the sales tax, you still owe it in most cases.

Do a google search on "use tax" and you will see what I mean.

Originally posted by Mosco
I am pretty sure synergy is correct. You are supposed to declare your purchases. I am not sure if that depends on which state you live in though.

Anyhow, drove up to NH and bought 3 20 gig ipods at 359.10 each with no tax. Cheeper than the educational discount i would have used and didn't have to pay tax. Educational would have been about 389 per ipod after tax.

That is quite interesting. I never knew that. So it is not that we are not being charged sales tax, it is just that the stores are not requited to collect it, meaning that people have to honestly report their purchases....which I am guessing doesn't happen to often.

Cool stuff. Thanks guys.

QuiteSure
Nov 28, 2003, 07:31 PM
... "plain vanilla" consumers who don't buy online and are looking for an iPod. For this very large group, who bought their last computer at CompUsa or Best Buy, the 10% off 1 day event is a good deal.

machan
Nov 28, 2003, 07:59 PM
i custom built my powerbook throught apple's online store, maxed it out as best i could. did the same thing with my first mac, a G3 tower. i use at least 2 other G4 macs and manage 10 other various imacs and emacs, plus a few windoze servers at work, everyday. i think the 10% off for 1 day is good. guess that's why i like vanilla ice cream the best, huh?

Alex Wrege
Nov 28, 2003, 08:23 PM
Well, I just came back from the Apple Store in Novi, Michigan . . . and: 'just' 10% off but unfortunately no freebies. I was sort-of hoping for a nice T-Shirt. Well, they just had some iTunes CDs there.
All right, that's it.


http://www.alexwrege.com

jhershauer
Nov 28, 2003, 08:27 PM
Even if they have a 5GB iPod ready to release, I'm not suprised they didn't announce it today. An under $200 iPod would fly off the shelves without a 10% promo discount, so why introduce it today?

I'd look for a regular Tuesday release, although I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Originally posted by the_mole1314
I'm very suprised that a 5 gig iPod didn't come out, I'm going to have a talk with someone....

Stella
Nov 28, 2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by machan
wtf is up with all the discount haters?



HELLLO, AMERICAN


Apple ignores its NON USA markets. It rarely recongises its Candian market.

These discounts are not available outside north america.

It stinks.

Alex Wrege
Nov 28, 2003, 09:21 PM
Apple ignores its NON USA markets. It rarely recongises its Candian market.
[/B]

Stella,
I totally agree with you. I am originally from Germany and I think Apple still has a lot of catching up to do in their non-US markets.
However, dealers have greater liberties there and might be able to help out a little.
Wishlist for regionalization:
iTunes Europe (and just for you: Canada)
Apple Stores in Europe
special events.

Photorun
Nov 28, 2003, 09:51 PM
Though I'm sometimes sympathetic to the international audience, stop your whining already and get over it. If you want a USA discount, move to the USA. Yes it'd be nice if Apple could, but they're not, if you don't like it, go look for a Dell discount that the extend from the US to the worldwide audience, or Dodge, or Maytag, or another US company. Oh, that's right, those companies don't either. Right. BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO! I'm sure there's discounts in other countries that don't extend to the US. It's the breaks, so stop complaining about it and deal.

ksz
Nov 29, 2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Mosco
Anyhow, drove up to NH and bought 3 20 gig ipods at 359.10 each with no tax. Cheeper than the educational discount i would have used and didn't have to pay tax. Educational would have been about 389 per ipod after tax.
A number of 30 Gig iPods were available as well. Apple's price was $419 minus 10% or $377.10. Ten additional gigs for less than $20 additional dollars. It was too good to pass up.

AirUncleP
Nov 29, 2003, 12:55 AM
Take a second and think about where you heard about this event. Take away all the Mac specific websites that you are now thinking about and what do you have left. For me, nothing. If you are not a mac nut, like most of us, then this "event" slipped on by. How is Apple going to get new customers if the new customers don't even relize something special is happening?

Just a thought.

MarkMc
Nov 29, 2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Take a second and think about where you heard about this event. Take away all the Mac specific websites that you are now thinking about and what do you have left. For me, nothing. If you are not a mac nut, like most of us, then this "event" slipped on by. How is Apple going to get new customers if the new customers don't even relize something special is happening?

Just a thought.

I got an eMail from Apple. Came right to my inbox.

Mosco
Nov 29, 2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ksz
A number of 30 Gig iPods were available as well. Apple's price was $419 minus 10% or $377.10. Ten additional gigs for less than $20 additional dollars. It was too good to pass up.

damn... If i had known i would have gotten 3 of those... To late now i guess.

toughboy
Nov 29, 2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
As previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031120221109.shtml), Apple is offering 10% off Music-Related Products (including iPods) at their local Apple Stores today. According to one user report, Apple is also offering $200 and $100 off the 20" and 17" iMacs respectively.

In a unique move, Apple is also offering 10% iPods and Accessories at the Online Apple Store (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=9eASk0x48lo&subid=1&offerid=13301.1&type=10&tmpid=80&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Feducation%2Fk12%2Filifeandkeynote%2F&u1=macrumors) today.

Few days ago, some friends were expecting Apple to release 5gb iPods, and I wrote that it would be logical for Apple to make discounts instead of releasing another product..

I was expecting 33% discount, but Apple made 10.. better than nothing, isn't it? :)

Enjoy, you US citizens.. It seems like Europeans dont have any importance for Apple.. :(

humangod
Nov 29, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Stella
HELLLO, AMERICAN


Apple ignores its NON USA markets. It rarely recongises its Candian market.

These discounts are not available outside north america.

It stinks.

then go start your own international computer company and show the world how it should be done. until then, shutup.

painandgreed
Nov 29, 2003, 12:03 PM
Complain, complain, complain.

Do You know how much a copy of 2000AD costs in the US? How about CDs from the Out of Line label from Germany? You people lower your prices and we'll lower ours!

Just be glad Apple's an US company and sells all their stuff to Europe at all. If it was Sony, Fujitsu or some other Japanese company, you'd never see the iPod except on company websites in another language or from friends that travel there and bring the stuff back because it's never sold otuside of the country.

toughboy
Nov 29, 2003, 12:06 PM
[inappropriate post]

mwjd299
Nov 29, 2003, 12:31 PM
I was just looking, then learned of the $200 off the 20" iMac. I took one look at it and loved that screen immediately. They were also offering an Epson C84 printer for $99 with a $99 rebate, so I picked that up with it. I am a switcher and so far, the switch is painless. I did have a problem loading the Netzero application with a disk I picked up at Best Buy. It crashed when trying to connect. I also have an AOL account and I loaded that, connected to the internet and downloaded the version Netzero has on the web site and that worked fine. :)

QuiteSure
Nov 29, 2003, 12:34 PM
If I were an overseas Apple consumer, I'm sure I would be just as frustrated as the many posters who feel frozen out of many Apple product offerings.

Still, Apple must know that this market exists; after all, it's not in the business of frustrating its own customers.

As a result I can't help but believing that there are hidden reasons for Apple's failure to support the international market in the iPhoto, iTMS and various discount offerings.

With the iTMS we've been told that the individual national licensing entities must each be negotiated with in order for Apple to be able to sell in those markets. That's got to be a huge chore.

I do hope that Apple will succeed in overcoming whatever obstacles it faces in order to offer these products and discounts to its overseas customers.

weave
Nov 29, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by mwjd299
I was just looking, then learned of the $200 off the 20" iMac. I took one look at it and loved that screen immediately.

How is the screen? I haven't seen one yet. Is it stable and not top heavy on the arm?

I'm a switcher too. Got the original 15" LCD iMac and loved it so much I went out and got a 12" Powerbook when they came out.

AirUncleP
Nov 29, 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by MarkMc
I got an eMail from Apple. Came right to my inbox.

Exactly my point. All my PC friends had no idea the event was happening. As for Apple Stores, I know they couldn't tell me where one is.

QuiteSure
Nov 29, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Exactly my point. All my PC friends had no idea the event was happening. As for Apple Stores, I know they couldn't tell me where one is.

This was an event aimed at people looking for iPods for the holidays. If they were looking for an iPod, they've probably already downloaded iTunes for Windows. If they did that, Apple has their email address, so they knew about the event.

Doctor Q
Nov 29, 2003, 05:09 PM
I didn't think to check if iPodRocks (http://www.ipodrocks.com/) promoted this event. If not, I think they missed an opportunity.

arn
Nov 29, 2003, 05:43 PM
Hi all,

The International vs U.S. talk is going a bit too far.

Let's keep it reasonable.

arn

bensisko
Nov 29, 2003, 05:51 PM
True that a discount is a discount, but 10% off music related items? Big deal. For those international consumers, I would hold the complaining for something bigger. It wasn't even 10% off of everything, just music-related, and for only one day. At the Milwaukee store, they had a big sign posted at least a week before hand, if not two weeks, and were extremely tight lipped as if it was something big. Kinda disappointing. I didn't even go and check it out once I saw what it was. Had it been 10% off everything, I might have gone.

Those complaining about ITMS not being outside the USA: Complain to the recording industry and the RIAA. Those complaining about iPhoto services not being outside the USA: complain to Kodak. Apple is working on the issues. A previous poster is absolutely correct in saying that Dell and other companies wouldn't even bother with an outside US deal. With iTMS being scheduled for a Japan release, they may very well be the first with an extra-USA deal. It was hard to get the industry to go along with this sort of thing in the first place, let alone getting them to go with it in a place with totally different laws (not just about copyright...). If Apple says they are working on it, it will come. Have faith and complain to the right source. Write letters to music companies and the RIAA trying to convince them.

And what's this about .Mac firewire deals? Do I actually have to goto my .Mac homepage to see my stuff now? I used to get an e-mail...

mwjd299
Nov 29, 2003, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by weave
[B]How is the screen? I haven't seen one yet. Is it stable and not top heavy on the arm?

The screen seems huge. It is very stable and acts just as the 17"model does.

Longey Nowze
Nov 29, 2003, 09:00 PM
I saved $500-$700 depending on which country having someone send me a 17" PowerBook from NY rather than buying it from my own country or any place in Europe, the $3k price tag is cheaper than the EDU pricing in my country! that sucks... I don't know if this is an Apple issue, a government issue or a plain greedy dealer issue. I never noticed that pricing of Sony products is more expensive or something!

Thank You
MaT

shadowfax
Nov 29, 2003, 11:49 PM
as luck would have it, i drove to chicago to visit some friends over thanksgiving, and i ended up visiting downtown on friday... i got to see that beautiful apple store, and on the very day of the special! very cool, indeed.

Peyote
Nov 30, 2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Stella
HELLLO, AMERICAN


Apple ignores its NON USA markets. It rarely recongises its Candian market.

These discounts are not available outside north america.

It stinks.


Maybe there's a problem with offering these discounts to international markets, I don't know. But apparently you do know the truth, which according to you is that Apple has this great dislike of selling products outside of the U.S. Sorry, I didn't know you work for Apple and know all of the problems with selling overseas. I also failed to realize you are an international business degree holder and work with intetnational markets on a daily basis.


Give it a rest people. No amount of complaining on your part is gonna get you ITMS, discounts, etc any faster. Face the facts that there are issues that you are not aware of since you have nothing to do with Apple selling its products abroad. Essentially, you don't know anything about it. So please stop all the whining until you gets some facts.

winmacguy
Nov 30, 2003, 02:57 AM
there seems to be a lot of people complaining about Apple's 10% which I would agree is not really that much to get excited about . It seems very strange to hype a big store opening and then only offer a 10% discount. Most other stores that I know of promote the same hype but then go for some big loss leaders to really drag the punters in. I can understand Apple having to negotiate with the recording undustrys in various countries to get iTunes through. That all makes sense but when you have a very devoted but small ( by PC standards) world wide fan base it seems strange not to offer the discounts to Apple stores world wide especially considering that it is for exactly the same products effectively at the same prices all at the same time. Maybe Apple could take a leaf out of M$ book after all M$ is literally a MARKETING company that sells software.

ITR 81
Nov 30, 2003, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about this because if you get an edu discount overseas then you get the same deal.

I believe once Apple gets more stores opened overseas there will be country only promo's and worldwide promo's.

AmigoMac
Nov 30, 2003, 06:33 AM
Yeah, it's cool!

Almost 2 weeks ago, I received an E-mail announcing a discount, I called my apple store and after changing sentences with the man there I got my iPod 3G 20GB @ 10% less than normal price, tax included... pretty sweet, and just 2 days ago, yes, friday, I got an other E-mail giving another discount... it's insane but sweet... I already have a list with my X-mas wishes...;), I'll go on vacations for the new year and hope to see a new E-mail after they release new things in January... and I'll see why 2004 won't be like 2004 :D ...

winmacguy
Nov 30, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about this because if you get an edu discount overseas then you get the same deal.

I believe once Apple gets more stores opened overseas there will be country only promo's and worldwide promo's.
Apple has started their iPod promo down here in NZ on our music channel and on one of our main Auckland radio stations. I saw one of the dancing grooving iPod ads on the music channel at the weekend and thought it was pretty cool. I would how ever like to see some of those big iPod ads on the city buses etc and on some billboards around the place. Compared to M$ promoting of the X-box with special X-box emblazoned SUVs parked at special locations and major radio give aways and pretty much in your face advertising I would have to say that Apples advertising here in NZ is currently on a much smaller scale. I was how ever talking to the Apple rep from Australia at a recent Adobe event in Auckland who told me that Apple does have some big promos and advertising planned in NZ this side of Christmas.

toughboy
Nov 30, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy
Apple has started their iPod promo down here in NZ on our music channel and on one of our main Auckland radio stations. I saw one of the dancing grooving iPod ads on the music channel at the weekend and thought it was pretty cool. I would how ever like to see some of those big iPod ads on the city buses etc and on some billboards around the place. Compared to M$ promoting of the X-box with special X-box emblazoned SUVs parked at special locations and major radio give aways and pretty much in your face advertising I would have to say that Apples advertising here in NZ is currently on a much smaller scale. I was how ever talking to the Apple rep from Australia at a recent Adobe event in Auckland who told me that Apple does have some big promos and advertising planned in NZ this side of Christmas.

at least you have some promotion down in NZ.. Despite that the distribution of Apple is handled by one of the biggest coorporations in Turkey, there is still no advertisements or promotions in here.. :(

winmacguy
Nov 30, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by toughboy
at least you have some promotion down in NZ.. Despite that the distribution of Apple is handled by one of the biggest coorporations in Turkey, there is still no advertisements or promotions in here.. :(
I dont feel so left out.
It just seems like maybe Apple could be a bit hamstrung with the iTunes promotion and iPods - trying to do a world wide promotion when really only the US and now Japan can access the iTunes Music store.

curious-au
Nov 30, 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Stella
HELLLO, AMERICAN

Dear lord, what is wrong with you people. I live in Australia, and you don't hear me having a big cry because I didn't get offered a discount. Big deal! If I was going to buy something as expensive as an iPod, it's not going to be a 10% discount that's going to swing my opinion as to when to buy.

Perhaps instead of having a sulk, be glad that some folks across the border got a discount, and then write a letter to your local subsidiary and ask them if and when they plan to do such promotions themselves. Having a protracted whinge and sneering at the people who were lucky enough to get a go seems very childish.

-- curious.au

Sabenth
Nov 30, 2003, 10:21 PM
/me Smiles

groovebuster
Dec 1, 2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Photorun
If you want a USA discount, move to the USA... 'm sure there's discounts in other countries that don't extend to the US.

Now that's an ignorant statement... No further discussion needed! :D

But the next one is also not bad...

Originally posted by humangod
then go start your own international computer company and show the world how it should be done. until then, shutup.

And another one...

Originally posted by painandgreed
Do You know how much a copy of 2000AD costs in the US? How about CDs from the Out of Line label from Germany? You people lower your prices and we'll lower ours!

Just be glad Apple's an US company and sells all their stuff to Europe at all. If it was Sony, Fujitsu or some other Japanese company, you'd never see the iPod except on company websites in another language or from friends that travel there and bring the stuff back because it's never sold otuside of the country.

Guys, there are some things you should realize. Apple makes more than 50% of its revenue with sales outside the US. Saying that the unworthy not US citizens should be greatful that they at least can buy Apple products is childish. Without us Apple wouldn't even exist anymore. Apple needs their international customers to survive. Lower your prizes so we lower ours is the most stupid thing I ever heard in a discussion like this.

Fact is, that customers outside the US in general pay more for the same products without any other reason than a greedy company called Apple. On top there are products that even have crippled functionality when purchased outside the US and still cost as much as (+ the 15% foreigner tax Applee charges) the US counterpart. Apple on the one hand wants to gain market share, but on the other hand they ruin their reputation with stuff like that.

Steve Jobs really doesn't seem to care too much about the market outside the US. He always just does what he has to in order to piss the international customers not too much off.

Just another example of a company that lost credibility here in Germany is Adobe! Can you imagine, that the localizeed version (including the update) for the Creative Suite costs about 500.- more than the US english version? Hello? They offer both versions side by side in the german online store. They must be nuts! We are talking about localization, not a completely new developed software! And we are also talking about one of the biggest markets for Adobe right after the US. So no arguments like "To localize for a small market and just a few copies costs a lot of money!" are valid.

I pointed it out several times before in other threads, that if there would be a real alternative to all that Apple (and now also Adobe) stuff, I would happily turn my back on that company. But for now it is just choosing between piles of poo of different sizes... And Apple is still the smaller one, but is catching up fast.

groovebuster

the_mole1314
Dec 1, 2003, 07:21 AM
This discussion WILL NEVER END. EVER.

Face it guys, it's harder to create discounts and deals in overseas markets and other markets than it is in the US. I know there are lots of internationall sales and the such.

As I've said before, Japan gets cool games that we never get, so should I bitch and moan? No. It's ANOTHER MARKET. I agree that discounts are needed and should happen, but just like iTMS, there's more to it than 'HEY LETS DISCOUNT THE iPOD TODAY!'

As for 'crippled functionality', it's mostly the governments that don't allow for it.

groovebuster
Dec 1, 2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by the_mole1314
As for 'crippled functionality', it's mostly the governments that don't allow for it.

Give me some examples for Apple products in Europe with crippled functionality because of government regulations.

Thanks in advance.

groovebuster

Winston Smith
Dec 1, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by groovebuster
Give me some examples for Apple products in Europe with crippled functionality because of government regulations.

Thanks in advance.

groovebuster

iPod volume levels due to either EU or french laws.
However thats an issue where Apple has had to go out of their way to meet laws = extra work. Therefore I assume they wanted to offer iPods in Europe.

I also assume iTMS, Sherlock channels, iPhoto book integration, stores, discounts etc are not deemed important enough to go the extra mile.

The issue is that Apple doesn't have either the vision or perhaps more crucially the international resources/skills to fix these shortfalls.

This can be solved and Apple has sufficient cash reserves to solve it therefore I can only assume Apple has the US centric attitude expressed by some of the previous posters.
This is a real shame from the company of Think Different.

curious-au
Dec 1, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Winston Smith
The issue is that Apple doesn't have either the vision or perhaps more crucially the international resources/skills to fix these shortfalls.

I recently read an interview with an Apple staff member that discussed the iTMS situation in Europe. They have people on the ground, running around trying to secure the licensing arrangements. Unless you've ever worked in the music business, I think you'd be surprised just how many people "own" a particular song, particularly in Europe which apparently lacks a central music licensing authority, and apparently some individual countries lack central authorities or registries of their own.

This is a really hard job. The EU is not yet like a larger version of the United States - in my opinion it is not a lack of "vision" hampering iTMS.eu, it is an excess of difficulty.

-- curious.au

QuiteSure
Dec 1, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by curious-au
This is a really hard job. The EU is not yet like a larger version of the United States - in my opinion it is not a lack of "vision" hampering iTMS.eu, it is an excess of difficulty.

-- curious.au

This is probably an accurate picture of the situation. I imagine that Apple is VERY frustrated at not being able to capitalize on willing Euro customers. I really wish the overseas posters on this forum would stop beating up on Apple. Seriously, Apple wants your money, cut them a break!

groovebuster
Dec 2, 2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Winston Smith
iPod volume levels due to either EU or french laws.
However thats an issue where Apple has had to go out of their way to meet laws = extra work. Therefore I assume they wanted to offer iPods in Europe.

I wouldn't call it really a crippled functionality to limit the volume of a sound device and Apple was offfering the iPods already in France when they found out about the law. What I meant was like a complete function not being available.

Originally posted by Winston Smith
I also assume iTMS, Sherlock channels, iPhoto book integration, stores, discounts etc are not deemed important enough to go the extra mile.

That is exactly the problem... not important enough! All these goodies they present as some of their key arguments why the Mac platform is superior in the US are not available for us. But we still pay even higher prizes for the products. You could say that the international customers are subsidizing the the gadgets for the US customers...

Originally posted by QuiteSure
I really wish the overseas posters on this forum would stop beating up on Apple. Seriously, Apple wants your money, cut them a break!

They got my money and I am pretty sure that I paid way more for my Apple gear than I would have paid in the US (and yes, I mean before tax!). How is that going well together with having less functionality? If they would be fair, they would say: As long as you can't use the same features as the US customers, you pay less for the same product!

groovebuster

Winston Smith
Dec 4, 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
This is probably an accurate picture of the situation. I imagine that Apple is VERY frustrated at not being able to capitalize on willing Euro customers. I really wish the overseas posters on this forum would stop beating up on Apple. Seriously, Apple wants your money, cut them a break!

If Apple were to cut foreign markets a break and divulge a little information - a target roadmap perhaps - then I'm sure the customers in those markets would gladly cut Apple a break.
It would also provide positive media and no doubt analysis of the vested interests that holds back iTMS for example.

bensisko
Dec 4, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Winston Smith
... divulge a little information - a target roadmap perhaps - then I'm sure the customers in those markets would gladly cut Apple a break....

Yeah, and when Apple can't meet the deadline, for what ever reason, they basically painted themselves with a big target. If Apple provided a road map, then competators would get a leg up on Apple and create some crappy, cheap knock-off and rule the market. Had Apple laid the road map for iTunes and the iPod before they announced it, MS would already be ruling the market. Now, it's every company for themselves, and only the iPod and iTMS has any future to it.

Let's not even start about what Apple fans would make of it... (Hint: Waaaaa... you said an Apple PDA would be available NOW, where is it???)

Business plans and company vision could change at any time, so I think Apple keeping everything under their cap until it's ready to sell is a good idea.