PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare Plus for Portables?

MacRumors
Dec 1, 2003, 10:33 AM
ThinkSecret reports (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/applecareplus.html) that Apple is planning on introducing an extended warranty for Mac Laptops that would also cover accidental damage.

Apple recently introduced (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/applecareplus.html) "standard" AppleCare for their iPod. The standard AppleCare warranty does not cover accidental damage. While ThinkSecret does not provide pricing information for the upcoming program, they expect it to arrive by June 2004.

AirUncleP
Dec 1, 2003, 10:37 AM
I could see a lot of "accidents" happening if this is for real.

DTphonehome
Dec 1, 2003, 10:45 AM
It's way too expensive the way it is now, so why would we want to pony up the extra dough for some more coverage? Third-party warranties usually cost much less and cover way more than AppleCare.

--DT

pbooktebo
Dec 1, 2003, 10:46 AM
With coverage like this, I wonder how much they'll charge for it.

Really what I wonder is how strict they'll become on regular AppleCare. The stories are legion of the many times that it is hard to tell if it was user abuse, but Apple covered it anyway. I hope that doesn't change.

AppleCare is already much more expensive for portables, and homeowner's or renter's insurance can cover catastrophic events on a laptop, so this seems like it is aiming at a very narrow band.

QCassidy352
Dec 1, 2003, 10:52 AM
$350 for APP on powerbook already... what's this gonna cost, $500+ ?? yikes.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 1, 2003, 10:54 AM
If this is true, it is just insurance. Maybe Apple is moving into this area because it is another market and stream of revenue.

You can never stop certain "accidents" (i.e. bogus claims) but there will probably be a no-claims policy and a minimum cost you would have to pay out (i.e. you pay the first ...$/) for a claim.

I'd imagine it would be too expensive for me to consider.

ZildjianKX
Dec 1, 2003, 11:00 AM
Wait, does standard Apple Care cover iPods now?

Powerbook G5
Dec 1, 2003, 11:01 AM
I would be happy if they kept it the same price for this "plus" service and then offered the regular Apple Care for a lower cost so that the standard protection plan isn't as overpriced. I think that'd make everyone happy.

AmigoMac
Dec 1, 2003, 11:01 AM
I can see a monthly fee as well or maybe yearly, but will be out of the reach for a lot of users... It's positive and negative for me as well... just, good luck!

ITR 81
Dec 1, 2003, 11:08 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me.

AirUncleP
Dec 1, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DTphonehome
It's way too expensive the way it is now, so why would we want to pony up the extra dough for some more coverage? Third-party warranties usually cost much less and cover way more than AppleCare.

--DT

What Third-Party warranties are you talking about?

mrsebastian
Dec 1, 2003, 11:30 AM
it will all come down to cost. as posted there are quite a few options to purchase an "insurance" plan for accident coverage. it would be nice for apple to make the standard applecare cost for the plus version and lower the cost for regular applecare.

SiliconAddict
Dec 1, 2003, 11:31 AM
Cool. Its always good to have options even "potentially" expensive ones. I would suggest that people reserve judgement until a price is released.

SiliconAddict
Dec 1, 2003, 11:32 AM
Question. Can't your computer be covered under your home owners insurance and what does that cover?

levl289
Dec 1, 2003, 11:34 AM
check out www.safeware.com - it's an insurance company which specializes in laptops and other computers.

my iBook is insured to $1400 for only $80 a year, and this covers EVERYTHING.

if I drop it, it gets stolen, spill coffee on it, or it just breaks on its own accord, they fix it for free and/or give me the money that I have it insured for.

I've had problems with my GFs laptop, and the turnaround, and repair is FAST.

AppleCare is nice, but it's expensive, and it doesn't cover enough. The coverage mentioned here is also nice, but it will be exhorbitant methinks.

-lev

arnette
Dec 1, 2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by levl289
check out www.safeware.com - it's an insurance company which specializes in laptops and other computers.

-lev

Right.. also my insurance (renter's and car) offers laptop coverage through the home insurance branch of their conglomerate. I haven't checked prices recently but from what I remember years ago it was pretty reasonable. $20 a month maybe? But that may have only covered a completely destroyed machine... I dunno.

Anyway, I think this is an unfounded rumor that was created on the heels of the iPod AppleCare thing. Most likely too expensive to be practical anyway.

Gonzonia
Dec 1, 2003, 11:40 AM
Still probably won't be available for home users in Florida.

~Shard~
Dec 1, 2003, 11:53 AM
The cost for standard AppleCare seems a bit high already, so what would this "plus" coverage cost? That really adds a lot to the bottom dollar. Plus, if you start covering accidental damage, I'm thinking the number of "accidents" might start increasing... ;)

SilentPanda
Dec 1, 2003, 12:05 PM
I have car insurance and renters insurance through State Farm. I called them about laptop insurance... if it gets stolen or something like that it's covered under renters insurance... but I also got laptop insurance for it which covers if it gets broken... costs me $2.50 a month... I don't even know that I'm going to get Apple Care for my iBook...

gopher
Dec 1, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Question. Can't your computer be covered under your home owners insurance and what does that cover?

Ask your home insurance company. Most do have some coverage of computers, a few ask you pay a little more for the premium if you want computers covered above a certain amount.

gerbilbox
Dec 1, 2003, 12:23 PM

if I drop it, it gets stolen, spill coffee on it, or it just breaks on its own accord, they fix it for free and/or give me the money that I have it insured for.

Re-read your policy, it does not cover repairs if it "breaks on its own accord," like a logicboard defect or hard-drive failure. It does state that it does not cover things that a warranty normally covers.

I have Safeware too, and I love it, I am actually waiting for them to ship me a replacement PowerBook after I accidentially spilled tea on my old one (it was really stupid of me). But I also have AppleCare, so I'm pretty much covered for almost anything. It's expensive, but it's not nearly as expensive as buying a new PowerBook.

Of course, you could always try to trick Safeware into thinking that a busted logicboard was caused by, say, tea and not a manufacturing defect :)

Anyway, this AppleCare plus sounds really interesting, and if it comes out in June 2004 I might consider it since it's close to the time my Safeware coverage for the year expires.

levl289
Dec 1, 2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by gerbilbox
Re-read your policy, it does not cover repairs if it "breaks on its own accord," like a logicboard defect or hard-drive failure. It does state that it does not cover things that a warranty normally covers.
year expires.

The things mentioned up top were arguably because the machine had problems with it inherent in its design - they didn't complain at all during the several times that I had it fixed. They seem pretty open to just fixing the product if it breaks :)

(and who am I to complain ;) )

gerbilbox
Dec 1, 2003, 01:04 PM
The things mentioned up top were arguably because the machine had problems with it inherent in its design - they didn't complain at all during the several times that I had it fixed. They seem pretty open to just fixing the product if it breaks :)

(and who am I to complain ;) )

Whatever way works :)

I just didn't want to be screwed if Safeware ended up being pretty strict about what it does not cover in its policy.

niter
Dec 1, 2003, 01:38 PM
I am glad they might be doing this. Gateway offers this. While I would not bother for Gateway, I would probably pay for the service from Apple because I feel their stuff is better quailty.

JoeMacDaddy
Dec 1, 2003, 02:07 PM
This is great news. My wife is horrible with her iBook and would gladly get plus just to cover the damaged power adapters and guard against a fall off of a table or down concrete steps.

One Happy Camper. (if this is true)

CompUSAMacNerd
Dec 1, 2003, 02:14 PM
I think that is a great idea actually.

Look at it this way.

Apple Care 3 year contract for G4 Powerbooks = 349.99

CompUSA Tap 2 year contract with screen protection = 349.99
CompUSA Tap 3 year contract with screen protection = 499.99

If I was Apple. I'd simply raise the price of the Apple care by 50 bucks to cover the screen. That way, at 399.99 they still have a hundred dollar edge over a competitor that actually replaces accidental screen damage.

That and they can still take their PowerBook to local service shops, like CompUSA and still have Apple Care coverage.

Thats just me, from a salesmen/apple nerd point of view. I think it'd work out to the benefit of the company and still promote healthy competition.

Abstract
Dec 1, 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by pbooktebo
Really what I wonder is how strict they'll become on regular AppleCare. The stories are legion of the many times that it is hard to tell if it was user abuse, but Apple covered it anyway. I hope that doesn't change.

Yeah, that's what I'm scared of as well. I wonder if they'll lessen the range of incidences they'll cover under the regular Applecare? If they get more strict, then this is bad for me and everyone who has regular Applecare.

*shakes head*

sparkleytone
Dec 1, 2003, 02:50 PM
This, if it happens, is most definitely a Good Thing. It will keep quite a few people from buying at retail stores I am sure. AppleCare with accidental damage covereage would keep me from having to use the CompUSA warranties instead. They are comprehensive, but you have to deal with the incompetence of a national electronics retailer. Uggh.

~Shard~
Dec 1, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
This, if it happens, is most definitely a Good Thing. It will keep quite a few people from buying at retail stores I am sure. AppleCare with accidental damage covereage would keep me from having to use the CompUSA warranties instead. They are comprehensive, but you have to deal with the incompetence of a national electronics retailer. Uggh.

Very true - this might be very beneficial from Apple's point of view, since more people will be inclined to purchase directly through them instead of the retail outlets.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly comes of this!

k2k koos
Dec 1, 2003, 03:26 PM
Now this is nice, I travel a lot (it's art of my job) and when I finally have enough funds for my next laptop, I will also get this new Applecare plan. I take care of my Macs (I love them, but don't tell my wife), but accidents can happen....

;)

itsbetteronamac
Dec 1, 2003, 03:40 PM
I hope this plus thing goes for the ipod. I hear so much about people dropping them. Also I hope hope that it dosn't cost to much, but i don't expect less than 400-450 on a powerbook. Think of all the cases when someone hurt their powerbook by accidently dropping it and getting it fixed for free.

I am looking into buy a new 20gb. But, I am so afraid of dropping it. Oh an just as a question does anyone used the iskin exo2? If you have I was just wondering your oppinons on it.

snofseth
Dec 1, 2003, 04:23 PM
With the price of the powerbooks so high already the warenty they come with is terrible it should be a standard three year warrenty $350 is rediculus i would rather put that money twards a new computer look at ibm and most other business computers come with 3 year warenties so should macs that would make the price alot more managable or atleast have 1 year of phone support 90 days is way to short

Mr.Hey
Dec 1, 2003, 05:30 PM
I'm excited! :D.

Steven1621
Dec 1, 2003, 05:36 PM
for the most part, the standard apple protection plan is a joke. 90 days telephone support is just absurd.

the applecare should come standard on every mac. it would add considerable value to every purchase.

mproud
Dec 1, 2003, 06:44 PM
YES! TERIFFIC!

~Shard~
Dec 1, 2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by mproud
YES! TERIFFIC!

I think he likes it.... :cool:

rotorblade
Dec 1, 2003, 07:02 PM
I'll reserve my enthusiasm until Apple actually announces a plan and the repair policy is known.

rdowns
Dec 1, 2003, 07:37 PM

I've had problems with my GFs laptop, and the turnaround, and repair is FAST.

AppleCare is nice, but it's expensive, and it doesn't cover enough. The coverage mentioned here is also nice, but it will be exhorbitant methinks.

-lev

Everything? Mechanical breakdown is one of the exclusions. From their site:

What types of losses are not covered?

This policy protects in so many ways, but it does not cover these major losses:

Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, depreciation, or original defects

Loss of income or interruption of business

Any preinstalled data or media which cannot be replaced with other of like kind or quality on the current retail market

Mechanical breakdown or faulty construction

Loss or damage from fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts by the owner or user

Systems rented or leased to others

THis would supplement, not replace AppleCare.

Anonymous Freak
Dec 1, 2003, 08:00 PM
I bought my PowerBook in July, so if this is real, I hope it comes out before my one year is up. (For 'normal' AppleCare, you can sign up up to one year after your purchase date.)

rdowns
Dec 1, 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Very true - this might be very beneficial from Apple's point of view, since more people will be inclined to purchase directly through them instead of the retail outlets.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly comes of this!

You can buy AppleCare even if you didn't buy from Apple directly. I don't see why this would cause more to buy direct. Many like the deals you get (free RAM, etc. ) at the online Mac sellers. You could purchase AppleCare from them, Apple or some other store/site.

~Shard~
Dec 1, 2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
You can buy AppleCare even if you didn't buy from Apple directly. I don't see why this would cause more to buy direct. Many like the deals you get (free RAM, etc. ) at the online Mac sellers. You could purchase AppleCare from them, Apple or some other store/site.

Sorry, I didn't realize this - I stand corrected then. That's what I love about MacRumors, you continually learn new things on a daily basis!

Powerbook G5
Dec 1, 2003, 11:58 PM
You can also go to CompUSA to buy AppleCare as well.

AmigoMac
Dec 2, 2003, 01:09 AM
a kind of offer to give away with the upcoming PB G5s ... ohhh :eek:

:rolleyes:

Trimix
Dec 2, 2003, 05:01 AM
yawn - this only costs apple money, is a nightmare to administrate and will be exploited by clumsy poweradaptor droppers, coffee spillers and other hamfisted individs.
naw, this does not sell more computers

Trimix
Dec 2, 2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by CompUSAMacNerd
I think that is a great idea actually.

Look at it this way.

Apple Care 3 year contract for G4 Powerbooks = 349.99

CompUSA Tap 2 year contract with screen protection = 349.99
CompUSA Tap 3 year contract with screen protection = 499.99

If I was Apple. I'd simply raise the price of the Apple care by 50 bucks to cover the screen. That way, at 399.99 they still have a hundred dollar edge over a competitor that actually replaces accidental screen damage.

That and they can still take their PowerBook to local service shops, like CompUSA and still have Apple Care coverage.

Thats just me, from a salesmen/apple nerd point of view. I think it'd work out to the benefit of the company and still promote healthy competition.

I think i am in the wrong film - i distinctly remember people on this forum griping about how expensive the computers are, how this is too dear, how this costs money and how 100 dollars can be shaved off here and there :p
now i am reading that people actually PAY 400 dollars for some protection which covers 3 years, notwithstanding that after 18months the thing is anyway being recycled and exchanged for the g5, g6, g7 and whatnot ???
i am sorry, i think this is funny - do you all take your PB rock-climbing ?????

gregorypierce
Dec 2, 2003, 01:39 PM
Apple absolutely needed this because I would avoid picking up 'major' purchases from them and go directly to CompUSA because the warranties there were SOOOOO much better than what Apple was offering.

After reading through the thread, however, I think I want to also look into calling my insurance company and seeing what they have to offer for computer insurance policies.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 2, 2003, 01:43 PM
Good idea. Just remember though, computer insurance (especially laptops) is not cheap... But then Apple laptops are very desirable...