PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Australia - Q1 2004?

MacRumors
Dec 2, 2003, 12:13 PM
News.com.au reports (http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8040831%255E15306,00.html) that Microsoft's Ninemsn music service will reach Australia early next year.

Of more interest, an Australian version of Apple's iTunes is also expected in the first quarter of 2004 according to the article.

According to sources, Apple plans on extending the iTunes Music Store "to a number of markets beyond the US" in the same time period.

Apple has publicly committed to Japanese (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031127210039.shtml) and European Music Stores (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030916135743.shtml) in 2004. Apple has also been reported to be in negotiations (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031020131949.shtml) with Canadian music agencies as early as October of this year.

yoman
Dec 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
yeah :) Major battle of the giants Apple vs. Microsoft again. Desktop wars moves to Music Store wars

Phobophobia
Dec 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
Good news for Austrailians--Apple is finally caring about other countries.

CompUSAMacNerd
Dec 2, 2003, 12:20 PM
I think I got the first comment. I hope :)

GO AUSSIE iTUNES! :)

~Shard~
Dec 2, 2003, 12:25 PM
It's about time! Apple needs to continue to expand like this if it wants to stay competitive with the whole online music store industry, so this is great news for lots of people around the world!.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 2, 2003, 12:25 PM
Nice, bring iTMS all over! Make it number one. (Just like I'm number one on this forum.) he he

~Shard~
Dec 2, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by CompUSAMacNerd
I think I got the first comment. I hope :)

Gotta be quicker than that.... ;)

the_mole1314
Dec 2, 2003, 12:27 PM
Thank god this is happening. Now we can get rid of those 'Apple's Crap since they don't have iTMS in *insert country*'.

Wonder Boy
Dec 2, 2003, 12:27 PM
apple has to beat microsoft to it. end of story.

hvfsl
Dec 2, 2003, 12:30 PM
Has iTunes even come to Canada yet?

Sonofhaig
Dec 2, 2003, 12:31 PM
Glad they're getting things going...

yoman
Dec 2, 2003, 12:34 PM
Quote from article

"Nevertheless, the choice of the Windows Media format and the lack of user-friendly players were among the reasons it was "highly unlikely" that Ninemsn's service would make money, Mr Tripp said."

:D I like

COS
Dec 2, 2003, 12:34 PM
"the choice of the Windows Media format and the lack of user-friendly players were among the reasons it was "highly unlikely" that Ninemsn's service would make money."

The choice of Windows Media Format certinly is a contributing factor... but the reason they wont make money is because THESE SERVICES CAN'T MAKE MONEY. Apple themselves -- the leader in this industry -- has said as much.

Its a loss leader!

It makes me wonder if Microsoft is funding the various music download efforts... and Microsoft is taking the loss to fuel WMA growth.

winmacguy
Dec 2, 2003, 12:35 PM
Geez I hope so, I must admit the Australian Apple rep did say that some big things were on the way with Apple. I just hope it means we will be able to get iTUNES in NZ as well!!!
On another note I was just reading some of the comments on the MacNN site regarding the European Apple store and their recent poor delivery service as reported in recent servey. For Apple's sake I really hope that Apple is doing a lot to rectify the situation especially in the run up to Christmas. I understand that the service issue occured at the time that a new system had been installed but for the length of time that Aple has been in business AND the length of time that most people have been doing online shopping I would have thought that Apple would have had a sufficient amount of POLITE, INFORMED, HELPFUL, TRAINED operators to take the calls. In retailling it is hard enough to get new customers but even harder to get them back after you have lost them or pissed them off with bad service.
well Merry Christmas to all and here's to iTUNES in this part of the world!!!

~Shard~
Dec 2, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl

Nope. I'm still waiting patiently....

AmigoMac
Dec 2, 2003, 12:47 PM
I guess it's much easier to handle Australian music laws, really nice for the Aussie community... congratulations..

appleguy
Dec 2, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy
Geez I hope so, I must admit the Australian Apple rep did say that some big things were on the way with Apple. I just hope it means we will be able to get iTUNES in NZ as well!!!

Well in Apple's eyes I think New Zealand is considered to be a state of that big lump of dirt some people call Australia....

winmacguy
Dec 2, 2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by appleguy
Well in Apple's eyes I think New Zealand is considered to be a state of that big lump of dirt some people call Australia....

More than Likely although some of it comes down to Local Apple Authourised Re-seller/Distribution Agent who effectively sell on Behalf of Apple and who at dont seem to be to concered at large scale marketing ...or at least that is the impression I get. The only other problem we have is a legal/political one which is nothing to do with Apple. And that is the fact that it is Illegal to down load and or copy music in NZ. Apparently we have the tightest laws in the world with regards to copying music which probably chucks the proverbial spanner in the works for negoiating music down loading agreements...

then again, it is illegal to drive faster than 100kph on the open road in this country as well, but lots of us drive cars that go faster than that.... just dont get caught. :D

I think in most American's eyes we are somewhere in Australia... unless they have been down here. Mind you some American's concepts of world geography can leave a bit to be desired.
But her is hoping that we in Middle Earth get a crack at iTUNES very soon.

bluedalmatian
Dec 2, 2003, 01:29 PM
still think they're wrong to treat europe as one. they'd be able to expand far quicker if they took each country individually as and when possible,

johnnyjibbs
Dec 2, 2003, 01:50 PM
Yeah, they could take Europe quicker if they did each country separately. I could see it coming to the UK earlier...

But certain poor countries in Europe probably would never get it...

Trowaman
Dec 2, 2003, 01:50 PM
Australia, Japan, and Europe are now pretty much locked in for early next year. Canada, once you guys come online I guess we're set on the main markets. How long until ITMS Nigeria? :D

But no, I look forward to you guys joining us and to see if your countries will contribute music to the music store creating an international store providing music from every culture.

Welcome to the family.

adamberti
Dec 2, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Trowaman
Australia, Japan, and Europe are now pretty much locked in for early next year. Canada, once you guys come online I guess we're set on the main markets. How long until ITMS Nigeria? :D

But no, I look forward to you guys joining us and to see if your countries will contribute music to the music store creating an international store providing music from every culture.

Welcome to the family.

Yes, it would be an awsome way to get international music without paying $40 for import CD's. There's a Kiwi band, Samonella Dub, that I really enjoy, but it's just prohibitively expensive to buy their CD's in Canada.

Sayhey
Dec 2, 2003, 02:13 PM
All of this raises questions about the ability of the iTMS to sell music across borders. If Apple has negotiated the rights to sell in Japan with companies there, do they have the right to sell those tracks to the US market and vice versa? This could be the start of making music much more accessible the world over. Unfortuately, I think the Big 5 music companies will resist selling worldwide distribution rights. I hope I'm wrong.

rodnarms
Dec 2, 2003, 02:15 PM
I sense that Apple is going to expand the iTunes market at Macworld in January. No better time.

billyboy
Dec 2, 2003, 02:21 PM
Seeing as music from iTMS is only available in the US it seems a bit bizarre to think that Japans store will be open to US buyers.

It would be a coup to rejig the whole music industry licensing issue, but I dont even see lord Jobs being able to pull that one off.

jobberwacky
Dec 2, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Trowaman
How long until ITMS Nigeria
The problem is just to avoid the high state taxes. But independent Nigerian music resellers are bound to make you an offer you just can't refuse :-)

curmi
Dec 2, 2003, 03:04 PM
Guys,

Apple Australia has not said this is true.

They have shown no interest in updating Sherlock with Australian content, they've shown no interest in getting .Mac offers such as cheap drives, rebates, in Australia, they've shown no interest in getting iPhotos book feature or on-line prints in Australia. What makes you think they would put in any effort here?

Apple Australia rarely know what is going on. They probably don't even know there is something called iTMS.

x86isslow
Dec 2, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl

itunes is everywhere, itms, though, is US only for now.

ITR 81
Dec 2, 2003, 03:29 PM
Apple is actually having to make iTunes store for each country in Europe due to the different licensing laws.
The reason I bet Apple hasn't released Musict Store already for some countries in Europe is because it's planning to release them in big worldwide event which would have bigger impact then opening just one store in one country at a time.

I betting they open the Canadian, Japan, Australia, and European stores at Macworld. I'm betting Korea will be joining this group shortly as well.

tizza
Dec 2, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by curmi
Guys,

They have shown no interest in updating Sherlock with Australian content, they've shown no interest in getting .Mac offers such as cheap drives, rebates, in Australia, they've shown no interest in getting iPhotos book feature or on-line prints in Australia. What makes you think they would put in any effort here?

Apple Australia rarely know what is going on. They probably don't even know there is something called iTMS.
BUT ... I think the big difference here is that iTMS means increased sales of iPods which has been Job's plan all along. Apple doesn't really get much return for going to all the effort to make Sherlock for Oz for instance.

As an iPod owner, who's about to get broadband installed!!, I truly do hope we do see iTMS for Oz in Q1 2004. :D

Macette
Dec 2, 2003, 05:28 PM
can't wait. yet another thing for me to pour my few remaining dollars into...

Irafas
Dec 2, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by appleguy

Not just in Apple's eyes - AMCOS, the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owner's Society that Apple are (probably) dealing with to license music for the iTMS "represents virtually all music publishers in Australia and New Zealand and, by way of reciprocal arrangements, the vast majority of the worlds composers, writers, and music publishers". Check out http://www.apra.com.au/About/AbIntro.htm

Hence, when the Australian iTMS is released, it's highly likely that NZ will be included as well.

Mattski
Dec 2, 2003, 06:06 PM
There is a strong possibility that ITMS for Australia may result from minimal input from Apple.

What many may have overlooked is the trade agreement currently in negotiation between Australia and the US, which to say the least, is ground breaking and entirely un-precedented in the world.

The current draft (due for approval in the first quater of 2004) is said to be the most free trade agreement in existance with the US.

Perhaps this does not result from an Apple initiative, but instead from a break down in trade barriers.

jap4n
Dec 2, 2003, 06:35 PM
great stuff

now all i need is a big fat credit card

Sabenth
Dec 2, 2003, 07:08 PM
i could say so much but one line is all that is needed... well 2 lines

fantastic bloody rippper mate grouse beatuy fabo bonza mate bye cricky

j763
Dec 2, 2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by curmi
Guys,

Right on.

Granted, they're brilliant at screwing ASP's and other non-AC dealers for every cent they can get.

Aside from that, Apple Australia are the most incompetent pack o'mongrels ever. They couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery.

j763
Dec 2, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Mattski
What many may have overlooked is the trade agreement currently in negotiation between Australia and the US, which to say the least, is ground breaking and entirely un-precedented in the world.

Score one for the arselicker?

The Aussie-US proposed FTA is only groundbreaking if by the massive deception that the Coalition is taking part in. The ALP (even under Latham) will pick up a bunch of NP seats if Anderson and Howard appear to be doing nothing for Agro.

As we've seen with the recent EU steel tariff debate, the US will be concerned always with the US first. Until Aussie farmers get to impact the outcome of US elections, the GOP really couldn't give a crap.

Mattski
Dec 2, 2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by j763
Score one for the arselicker?

The Aussie-US proposed FTA is only groundbreaking if by the massive deception that the Coalition is taking part in. The ALP (even under Latham) will pick up a bunch of NP seats if Anderson and Howard appear to be doing nothing for Agro.

As we've seen with the recent EU steel tariff debate, the US will be concerned always with the US first. Until Aussie farmers get to impact the outcome of US elections, the GOP really couldn't give a crap.

Cockies aside, the proposed agreement should have a major impact on non-traditional trades, specifically intellectual property. In my opinion this is the ground-breaking component.

Although little-johny would sell his mrs to play with the big boys (I'd sell her too), I think it may represent some solid gains for Aus, particualrly in education and finance markets.

On the ITMS topic though, it would be great to see free trade, particularly when commonly US$0.99 = AU$1.99 despite the Aussie dollar.

We may even be able to order Apple hardware at US prices. AU$2499(+gst) for a 1.6ghz G5.

A little competition might even force Apple Australia to get off their arse. Now that would be something!!

Sabenth
Dec 2, 2003, 11:08 PM
Hello music store who said anything about free trade....!!!

jeez

and apple australia are some what slack yes

appleguy
Dec 2, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by j763
Aside from that, Apple Australia are the most incompetent pack o'mongrels ever. They couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery.

Thats Wrong, they can organise a really good pissup.
Last time I was on that side of the ditch (on a personal holiday) and being in Sydney I poped in to see the guys in Apple Aust (the AppleCare team) the bash they had was really good. mind you it was just down at the local.
And if you are asking why I visited apple aust on a personal holiday, I was just in Sydney and I just wanted to put faces to the people I dealt with alot while Sydney was the central repair depo when iBooks/Cubes first came out.

ChrisH3677
Dec 3, 2003, 09:05 AM
woohoo!

I will be able to stop using the US iTMS.

ddbean
Dec 3, 2003, 11:00 AM
As someone who bought an Import CD from Oz mainly for 1 song, I'd love to have access to Oz music for D/L, even though Triple J is great source for Oz content when I'm at work. Wish Tripple J would stream on iTunes too. Hate Real Player pop up ads.

DJY
Dec 20, 2003, 06:45 PM
I thought the Aust music industry was de-regulated a couple of years ago.. which caused alot of press....

should this make it much easier for iTMS to come here?
The US - AUST FTA - well I'll only truly believe that one - after it gets signed! I for one don't believe it will be a truly unrestircted FTA - if it was - what are all the negotiation hiccups at the moment?!??!! Like stats - you can manipulate anything to say what you want.

I for one though am hanging out for an iTMS in OZ!
Bring it on! I'm still a PC user - but love iTUNES and my iPOD!

winmacguy
Dec 20, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by DJY
I thought the Aust music industry was de-regulated a couple of years ago.. which caused alot of press....

should this make it much easier for iTMS to come here?
The US - AUST FTA - well I'll only truly believe that one - after it gets signed! I for one don't believe it will be a truly unrestircted FTA - if it was - what are all the negotiation hiccups at the moment?!??!! Like stats - you can manipulate anything to say what you want.

I for one though am hanging out for an iTMS in OZ!
Bring it on! I'm still a PC user - but love iTUNES and my iPOD!

I am waiting for iTMS in NZ as well, and from what I gather there should be something big in Steve Jobs's big speech at SFMW in 6-9 Jan 2004 regarding iTMS international which will likely include Canada, UK, and the European Countries iTMS announcement. Apple has had to Negotiate with each country for the DRM rights which is obviously a lenghty slow painfull legal process.

DJY
Jan 15, 2004, 03:24 AM
ok - so if Apple doesn't hurry up - I think they are about to loose alot of business -and potentially limit iPOD sales significantly in AUST!

I appreicate that they aren't making any real money out of iTMS... but instead want it everywhere - so people buy iPODs...

yet now Aust has at least TWO online music options now!
I think Chaos did the first (possibly with ninemsn - as I vaguely remember reading something somewhere)
and now even Telstra have jumped onto the bandwagon!!!!

SO getting the rights - can't be that difficult!

Found this today:

BigPond launches music download site

Telstra Corp Ltd's internet service provider BigPond has launched a new online music download site.

Telstra said BigPond customers would be able to download an extensive range of tracks from just $1.49 each, while non-BigPond customers can download a tune for $1.89 each.

BigPond managing director Justin Milne said BigPond was the first internet service provider in Australia to offer a music download site.

"Customers can now search for their favourite tracks, preview tracks on line, download them to their computer and either burn their personal selections onto CD-ROM or load them onto their portable digital players," Mr Milne said.

He said www.bigpondmusic.com would offer a wide range of major label and independent music.

Mr Milne said all users can pay for the tracks by credit card, while BigPond customers could also have the cost added their bill.

"And BigPond Music is `unmetered' for BigPond cable and ADSL customers who can download as many tracks as their want without this counting towards their monthly usage," he said.

Mr Milne said BigPond had collaborated with major music labels like Warner, Sony, EMI and Festival Mushroom Records, and more than 60 independent Australian record labels.

winmacguy
Jan 15, 2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Phobophobia
Good news for Austrailians--Apple is finally caring about other countries.

I love this comment from the article:

Ninemsn's use of the Windows Media format could cause problems for the service, music industry analyst Phil Tripp said. In the US, Napster 2.0 was selling only Windows Media format music and had sold around 200,000 songs since its relaunch in October, Mr Tripp said. In contrast, Apple's iTunes, which uses the AAC format, was selling around 1.5 million songs per week.

Nevertheless, the choice of the Windows Media format and the lack of user-friendly players were among the reasons it was "highly unlikely" that Ninemsn's service would make money, Mr Tripp said.

From what I have heard is that iTMS for NZ should be not too far behind iTMS Australia :)

Sabenth
Jan 15, 2004, 05:29 AM
Hmmm everyone and his dog is a it and then the cat. I dont get it if its been proven that Music dosnt make a profit from online why are they all doing it. i am i missing somthing dose telstra no somthing i dont...

So much for the big anoncments about Music at Expo 04 wooppie garage band is so iTms..

oh well heres to next year

fatbarstard
Jan 15, 2004, 05:30 AM
I know the Apple NZ distributor guys pretty well - even been for a sail on Mal's frikkin big boat...

I got a rather cryptic message from one of them hinting at big changes ahead... WTS!! :D

Anyway the outfit that collects royalties in this part of the world for music is APRA - Australasian Performing Rights Association... Australasia is Australia and NZ for you northern folk.

Just hanging around waiting for the ball to drop on this one!!

:D :D :D

DJY
Jan 15, 2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by fatbarstard
I got a rather cryptic message from one of them hinting at big changes ahead... WTS!! :D

Just hanging around waiting for the ball to drop on this one!!

Whats WTS stand for mate?

And did they give you any idea on timeline?!?!?!?!

shmow
Jan 19, 2004, 07:35 AM
iTunes Music Store in Australia will finally give Australian's a chance to use the app to its full capacity. Can't wait for a future announcement by Apple.:D

winmacguy
Jan 19, 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by DJY
Whats WTS stand for mate?

And did they give you any idea on timeline?!?!?!?!

Watch This Space = WTS

winmacguy
Jan 20, 2004, 12:21 AM
ARIA plans download chart
Kate Mackenzie
JANUARY 20, 2004

THE music industry is finally coming to terms with the digital age, with plans to produce a new chart of songs purchased over the internet.

Traditionally at odds with the internet over illegal song-swapping services such as the original version of Napster, and more recently, Kazaa, the industry has struggled with the concept of legitimising online music sales.
But the advent of legal music download services has changed that, and the Australian Recording Industry Association is planning to produce a chart of the most popular songs sold by internet retailers.

ARIA chief executive Stephen Peach was not available to comment yesterday, but Australian IT understands the industry body is considering how to compile such a chart, and examining similar attempts by its counterparts overseas.

However music industry commentator Phil Tripp said many companies would stumble in the race to launch online music stores.

"They're too fast to the market; there's not enough quality, not enough quantity, and the pricing's not right," Mr Tripp said.

doogle
Jan 20, 2004, 06:18 PM
...if it happens in OZ it happened because someone from the States made it happen - it wasn't from the drones at Apple Australia.

re: FTA agreement. Howard will sell out anything to get it - The PBS will be modifed if the yanks really push hard against it and you can forget Australian content getting any favours.

DGMW - they are nice guys to deal with but when it comes to making **** happen, look elsewhere.

bannedagain
Jan 20, 2004, 07:46 PM
The average Australian doesn't want to pay for music downloads infact the average Australian doesn't really want to pay for anything at all (note the ever increasing number of dole bludgers,) Except for beer.

We don't pay directly for uni (thank god,) and in the weekend paper and 'Trading post' there are more often then not adds offerng burnt console and PC games and other software.

When not if, iTMS comes to the land of OZ I don't doubt that it will be a flop.

doogle
Jan 20, 2004, 08:00 PM
Geez you paint us like a bunch of losers! Do I smell an ex-pat?

I must say your description is very 1975. Mate I am no ocker...are you from Kalgoorlie or Bourke or somethin'?

Australians won't pay for their music...I think they will but not from iTMS becasue Apple Australia won't tell them about it!

BTW: We WILL all be paying for our education in less than 5 years (30% already buy their way into a Uni).

fearless
Jan 20, 2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy
Geez I hope so, I must admit the Australian Apple rep did say that some big things were on the way with Apple. I just hope it means we will be able to get iTUNES in NZ as well!!!!
Hear hear! For once, let hope they think we're part of Australia! On second thoughts...

But since Apple in NZ is run out of Sydney, and the APRA/AMCOS licensing generally covers both markets, we might be in luck.

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by doogle
Geez you paint us like a bunch of losers! Do I smell an ex-pat?

I must say your description is very 1975. Mate I am no ocker...are you from Kalgoorlie or Bourke or somethin'?

Australians won't pay for their music...I think they will but not from iTMS becasue Apple Australia won't tell them about it!

BTW: We WILL all be paying for our education in less than 5 years (30% already buy their way into a Uni).

Read my profile, I'm a mining engineering student from Adelaide, and have lived there my whole life. And I think anyone from Kalgoorlie or Bourke, would be very offended if they read what you wrote.

Ask yourself this: If you could download a music track for free, or pay a $1.50, what would you do? Or a better example If I offered you a copy of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects for free, would you take them, or would you could buy them for several thousend dollars?

As Becker said "Hey, Free's Free"

doogle
Jan 21, 2004, 04:48 PM
yup Adelaide it all makes sense...

...Becker says...sheeeeiit - Becker! Get real.

only joking mate, I couldn't resist it!

doogle
Jan 21, 2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by bannedagain
The average Australian doesn't want to pay for music downloads infact the average Australian doesn't really want to pay for anything at all (note the ever increasing number of dole bludgers,) Except for beer.

...people from Bourke and Kalgoorlie getting offended? - howabout the "Dole bludgers" and "Average Australians" of Kalgoorlie and Bourke maybe they might get offended by your (mass) generalisations my friend?

Telomar
Jan 21, 2004, 11:27 PM
Courtesy of someone very well placed in the music industry Apple's Australian iTMS should be open in the next few weeks apparently.

As for whether or not people would pay given I was looking at CDs today that cost between $25 or $30. I'd be inclined to say there is a market for songs at $1.50 and albums for $15.

As for picking on mining towns it's worth mentioning a lot of people in those towns are well paid by the mining companies that employ them. Given there is nothing to spend your money on out there they end up having quite tidy sums of spending money. I know quite a few people who set themselves up early in life by working for mining companies first few years out of uni and saving a tidy nest egg very quickly.

You'll find many people on welfare reside in the cities. You will also find quite a few people who should be ineligible for it rorting the system too.

doogle
Jan 21, 2004, 11:48 PM
good points Telomar, a most eloqent gentleman you seem.

Back to the gruff . I damn well hope Apple Aus. starts telling people they can use iTMS here, if like what you say happens within days.

Apple has a very short window to corner the Australian market. Packer and MSN (including Telstra makes an tri-axis) will saturate the market with their local marketing dominance (and mind numbingly simplistic but influential cross-media brainwashing...think "The Bock" etc.).

No. Sadly I am calling that Apple will be a minnow inthe Australian market purely because of their lack of visibility. Its a pity they never made a deal with the likes of Optus or such.

(people in glass mines shouldn't throw stones...but people outside them can throw as many as they like!)

doogle
Jan 21, 2004, 11:50 PM
damn...I meant "The Block" :rolleyes:

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Telomar
As for picking on mining towns it's worth mentioning a lot of people in those towns are well paid by the mining companies that employ them. Given there is nothing to spend your money on out there they end up having quite tidy sums of spending money. I know quite a few people who set themselves up early in life by working for mining companies first few years out of uni and saving a tidy nest egg very quickly.
You've read my mind:D

doogle
Jan 21, 2004, 11:56 PM
...hence they wil spend money on buying music bannedagain and that contradicts your original post - go back into your hole!

Hey thats funny!:D

winmacguy
Jan 22, 2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by fearless
Hear hear! For once, let hope they think we're part of Australia! On second thoughts...

But since Apple in NZ is run out of Sydney, and the APRA/AMCOS licensing generally covers both markets, we might be in luck.

Correction fearless, Apple NZ is run through Renaissance Group from Auckland although your probably right about the APRA bit.

doogle
Jan 22, 2004, 09:27 PM
HEY ANY AUSSIES www.theage.com.au has a competition giving away 10 iPods!

bannedagain
Jan 26, 2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by doogle
...hence they wil spend money on buying music bannedagain and that contradicts your original post - go back into your hole!

Hey thats funny!:D

I will buy music, however I will buy it in the form of a CD, SACD, DVD-A, (Laser Disc,) or a format yet to be released eg blue ray DVD. When I buy something I like to have something material to show for it. Call me old school but that's just how it is.

doogle
Jan 26, 2004, 05:49 PM
...thats cool mate you can spend your money as you see fit.

Materialism is so 20th century. :o

The future is Data! :cool:

DJY
Feb 4, 2004, 05:05 AM
I for one will definitely buy online music - legally!

And I suspect it will actually INCREASE the amount of money I spend on music!

I used to buy album if I liked one or maybe two songs - from an artist...
and havent bought a single - since I was early twenties...
but with online music I'm most likely more likely to buy the odd single / hit / one off song that I like - to leave it on my iPOD!

That's if they hurry up? Otherwise WMA and the other current online players might corner the market... as many people might not necessarily be aware of all the WMA vs AAC vs MP3 issues / limitations and complications.

DJY
Aug 19, 2004, 07:46 AM
Lets hope this rumour is TRUE!!! from .Australian IT News (http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,10498702%5E15350%5E%5Enbv%5E15306-15320,00.html)

Unwired hints at iTunes link
Chris Jenkins
AUGUST 19, 2004

FRESHLY hatched wireless ISP Unwired has hinted that the alliance it has forged with Apple could see the two partner on a music service within a month.

Unwired already offers subscribers special deals on Apple's AirPort Express wireless hub, but the relationship would expand to offer more services in about a month's time, Unwired chief executive David Spence said at the formal launch of Unwired's wireless broadband service.

The Apple partnership would involve "music in particular," Mr Spence said. "We think music is a good idea."

Without specifically saying that partnership would involve Apple's iTunes Music Store, Mr Spence said that Apple's music download service would be available locally, and that Apple would need broadband connections to make the service work well.

Credited with sparking interest in legal music downloads when launched in the US in April 2003, Apple's iTunes Music Store has since become available in the UK and Europe, but has yet to arrive in Australia. Apple Australia has consistently refused to comment on when and if the service would be available locally.

Mr Spence said Unwired had now installed 68 base stations in Sydney - the only market in which the service is available thus far. The company would expand to other markets once it was satisfied with the uptake of the service in Sydney. In order to break even in Sydney, Unwired would need 50,000 to 70,000 subscribers, Mr Spence said. Up to 500,000 customers could be supported in the Sydney region, he said.

Mr Spence previously told The Australian that the company expected to have 100,000 subscribers within a year. Services in Melbourne and the Gold Coast would be available before the end of the year, he saidAustralian IT News (http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,10498702%5E15350%5E%5Enbv%5E15306-15320,00.html)

Lacero
Oct 4, 2005, 06:49 AM
News.com.au reports (http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8040831%255E15306,00.html) that Microsoft's Ninemsn music service will reach Australia early next year.

Of more interest, an Australian version of Apple's iTunes is also expected in the first quarter of 2004 according to the article.

According to sources, Apple plans on extending the iTunes Music Store "to a number of markets beyond the US" in the same time period.

Apple has publicly committed to Japanese (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031127210039.shtml) and European Music Stores (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030916135743.shtml) in 2004. Apple has also been reported to be in negotiations (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031020131949.shtml) with Canadian music agencies as early as October of this year.Wow, you Australians have been waiting since 2003. :p :D ;) :o :(

DeSnousa
Oct 4, 2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks Lacero :p

JRM PowerPod
Oct 4, 2005, 07:11 AM
Brilliant news reporting isn't it.

- 3GHZ barrier
- iTunes Australia

Don't you love it

It is a pain but i still love Apple

Chundles
Oct 4, 2005, 07:12 AM