PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 case problem

Helmut Kool
Dec 3, 2003, 06:05 AM
Hi all,

I got my new 12" iBook G4 from Apple Web Store last week. Otherwise I'm very happy with it, but the case seems to be little broken or badly constructed. The bottom left part of it, where I rest my hand while writing with the keyboard, makes a creaking noise. The upper gray part doesn't touch the lower white part unless I push it, that is, there's a gap between them. It is pretty annoying..

Does anybody else have the same problem? Should I try to send the computer back to have it replaced or fixed? I already took it to a local repair shop. They took it apart and put it together again, but that didn't help. Some might say this isn't a big problem, but I think you should get a perfect quality computer for 1300 EUR.

Thanks.

huntsman
Dec 3, 2003, 11:14 AM
I noticed this too with the bottom left corner of my iBook G4 12", though in my case it doesn't make any significant creaking noise. The amount of give is pretty small, but it's not the rock-solid construction I was expecting. At the moment the only annoying thing is that when you rest your palm on it, you don't get the same solid feel as on the right side. I assumed it was as a result of getting the 40GB HD upgrade--after being opened up for the upgrade, perhaps it isn't sealed shut as solidly as it would have been otherwise.

Another minor quality control issue is that the spacebar isn't perfectly straight (the gap between it and the palm rest is noticably bigger on the right side than on the left). And the left side of the touchpad button sticks up ever so slightly higher (just enough to be noticable) on the left than the right.

groovebuster
Dec 8, 2003, 02:08 AM
I also have the new iBook G4 and I also noticed that the case is not straight everywhere. The machine itself is really nice, but this is something that really bugs me, since I am a perfectionist on stuff like that.

groovebuster

slipper
Dec 8, 2003, 02:59 AM
my rubber feet keep falling off

leet1
Dec 8, 2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by slipper
my rubber feet keep falling off

maybe its because its 3 am and I've been studying for finals for the past 10 hours but that was the funniest thing Ive read today....lol

McCord9
Dec 8, 2003, 09:08 AM
This issue has been all over the apple discussion boards. I don't have any clue what they intend to do about it though. Sorry I can't help. I just ordered a new g4 ibook so I hope I'm not back here saying the same thing.

P.S. this issue has been on both BTO and Stock models.

SilentPanda
Dec 8, 2003, 09:41 AM
I have a BTO iBook G4 (specs in sig) and my case is just fine... the feet aren't secured on as much as I'd like that's for sure but I've only lost 'em when I pull them in and out of a backpack (which I won't do again). Maybe I'll use some superglue or something...

No creaking on mine, no big gaps, the keyboard seems a little crooked (space bar higher on one side than the other but it doesn't feel weird at all...

Sorry to hear that some of yours are mucked up...

blue&whiteman
Dec 8, 2003, 09:51 AM
what I would like to know is why are these even leaving the factory like this? I thought quality control was a big thing to apple...

RoadKill
Dec 8, 2003, 10:20 AM
I have a BTO G4 12" iBook.

I have HD and Bluetooth added and the bottom left corner is slightly loose and makes a noise when my palms rest there to type.

I started to notice this after nearly a week but this is only slightly anonying but hasn't stopped my enjoyment of my first ever mac. Man you should have seen the build quality on some of the Dell's, Compaq's and Toshiba's I've worked on in the past.

The only difference is, they were work's pc 's and this is my baby. Now, if only it had a backlit keyboard..... :-)

Pilgrims Pro
Dec 8, 2003, 11:14 PM
I just received my new G4 iBook on Friday. I had to take the battery out to insert the Airport card, now the battery doesn't sit flush in all four corners. The front left corner sits away from the laptop.

wolverine
Dec 9, 2003, 02:39 AM
I just got my G4 iBook last week, it's a sweet machine, but I have noticed the same things as you guys.

The left hand side makes the tiniest of noise, it's definitely not as solid feeling as the right side.

The gap between the case and the space bar is bigger on the right hand side of the space bar.

The battery doesn't fit flush.

The keyboard seems to be slightly higher at the backspace key, so it's more noisy than the other keys.

Oh, and sometimes when i hit my 's' key, i get two s's. If that makes sense.

I got a wireless card put in, the hard drive upped to 40gig and a bluetooth module.

Anyone else with some of the above?

Regards.

Wolverine

gooddog
Dec 9, 2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
what I would like to know is why are these even leaving the factory like this? I thought quality control was a big thing to apple...

The previous iBooks had bad "reed switches" in the right hinge that caused a display blackout at 30 degrees open angle of the lid.

The "fix" was to stuff a protective sleeve over the reed that then left ALL such iBooks with that hinge higher than the left one.

And the open edge design looks like a water warped cigar box lid -- gull winged upper lid held precariously by one center-mounted latch.

It is a case of a beautiful design idea being executed with L-O-U-S-Y workmanship....
something about cheap labor abroad ???

If Apple Inc. doesn't wake up and smell the coffee soon, it will lose whatever reputation it still has for solid, beautiful fit and finish.

Sony is nipping at Ives' heels quite effectively with their designs that are BACKED UP WITH QUALITY FIT AND FINISH.

I just opted out of an upgrade to the G4 12-inch precisely because I am LIVID about this.

If I wanted crap like this, I would have bought a winbox.

Enough comparisons of the thinness of the laptops vs. other brands !

The complaints have been on the web for years now, and Apple still sits on their smug ass about it.

I could use a little less fanaticism over THINNESS and a lot more integrity regarding the downright SLOPPY quality of assembly.

BTW, already ran into a 20 " iMac with a lob-sided screen.

Maybe Apple guru's would like it if we served them a thank you filet mignon with a crispy
cockroach on top --- you know, an acceptably insignificant little roach.

---gooddog

Rod Rod
Dec 9, 2003, 04:51 AM
I took my brother-in-law's 12" PowerBook to the "geniuses" at the Apple Store about a fit-and-finish issue. Mind you, this computer's body is made of metal. The "geniuses" informed me that Apple's warranty does not cover plastics.

iBooks have plastic bodies, so this policy of theirs would actually apply in the case of the beautiful white laptops.

SilentPanda
Dec 9, 2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Pilgrims Pro
I just received my new G4 iBook on Friday. I had to take the battery out to insert the Airport card, now the battery doesn't sit flush in all four corners. The front left corner sits away from the laptop.

You had to take out your battery to put an airport card in? On my 12" iBook the airport card goes under the keyboard. Do you have a 14"?

Pilgrims Pro
Dec 9, 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by SilentPanda
You had to take out your battery to put an airport card in? On my 12" iBook the airport card goes under the keyboard. Do you have a 14"?

I should have clarified. Yes the Airport card goes under the keyboard, but the instructions say to disconnect the battery to insert the card. I do have the 14".

Since I just got this should I call apple or not really worry about it?

RoadKill
Dec 9, 2003, 08:40 AM
My battery also isn't quite perfectly flush but it does seem held in place very well, it's a lot better than my old compaq M700 which would move about so much the contact would sometimes be lost.

It's not something I'm going to worry about especially as I had to wait so dam long for the thing to arrive (nearly 4 weeks)

Nicky G
Dec 9, 2003, 07:37 PM
You people are some anal-retentive weirdoes! My iBook exhibits all of the non-issues you are talking about. They are nothing. You are freaks. You would find fault with anything. My iBook G4 is solid, and the best machine I've ever owned. Not all of us dwell over "imperfections" that are mere fractions of a millimeter, and you have to be actively looking for to be bothered by. Sheesh!

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 07:59 PM
when someone pays good money for something they have every right to insist it be perfect. its people like you that quality control people love because you will settle for second best.

Toppa G's
Dec 9, 2003, 09:10 PM
If it's any consolation to you guys with the little irritations, my iBook G3's display is essentially falling off (the white exterior plastic is coming off the hinge by over 1/8"). I called Apple about it, and they said they don't cover the case. It's to the point where I can see the exposed wires in the gap between the hinge and the plastic case. :(

Sorry if I went a little off-topic on this one..but it seems along with the logic board problems plaguing iBooks, Apple has got some pretty big QC issues to deal with.

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 09:23 PM
this is why I have not owned a laptop since the 540 in 96. too many little things to go wrong. I would find it totally unacceptable that they don't cover the case. is it not under applecare any longer?

the plastic panel on the right side of my blue and white G3 was covered for only having a small crack about 3 years ago so one would think that a laptop would get even more attention.

huntsman
Dec 9, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Pilgrims Pro

Yeah. Add that one to my list.

Speaking of the battery, there seems to be an error in the manual or a problem with my iBook. On reinserting the battery, the manual says "Gently press the right side of the battery down until the battery latch locks into place."

But mine doesn't lock into place itself--it just pops back up and I have to manually turn the latch to lock it. Is yours like that as well, or is mine missing a spring? :)

Toppa G's
Dec 9, 2003, 09:35 PM
Finally found it...from the AppleCare terms and conditions:

The Plan does not cover:
: Repair, replacement, or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear, such as cases, key caps, knobs, handles, batteries or mechanical parts.
:(

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 10:07 PM
the plastic falling apart at the hinge is not wear and tear, its bad workmanship and design. wear and tear seems to be a very broad term for apple. if I were you I would cause a huge stink about this. thats unacceptable!

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 10:13 PM
i'm starting to think that apple should have stayed with the clamshell design as they were probably the toughest laptop case ever made next to the titanium powerbook. no one ever seemed to complain about them. the new ibook casing seems to really be flawed ever since they switched to the all white more squared style.

kuyu
Dec 9, 2003, 11:00 PM
i was planning on placing my order for an ibook 12" in the next few weeks, but you guys have pretty much scared me out of it. I have saved for 6 months, and I want a PERFECT machine. Maybe $1400 is cheap for $teve Job$, but it's really expensive from my broke perspective.

Maybe I should get a powerbook instead. I am a student, so I don't really need the speed, but it has got to be turbo-durable. I don't think the pbooks have this many engineering issues.... or do they?

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 11:33 PM
they would be much better than the new ibooks. my friend has a powerbook 12" and loves it. its not that all the new ibooks would be bad. buy it at an apple store or mac dealer and not online. that way you can inspect it first hand. another idea if you don't need much speed and want to save even more money is buy a used clamshell model. an se version would have a 466MHz G3 and would be more than enough for internet and paper writing. those are the durable ones.

jap4n
Dec 10, 2003, 12:30 AM
on my G3 iBook - "late 2002", the track pad makes creaking noises.. everything functions perfectly though...

...except for last week when the logic board had to be replaced :o

adang

huntsman
Dec 10, 2003, 02:43 AM
I just noticed for the first time that if I press down hard enough on the bottom corners of my iBook G4's trackpad, it clicks and acts as a mouse button

OMG... I was fiddling with it while typing the above, and found that pressing the down the palm rest beside the trackpad/button makes it click :eek:

If I use both hands (one either side) I can click it from the middle of the palm rest.

gooddog
Dec 10, 2003, 04:13 AM
when someone pays good money for something they have every right to insist it be perfect. its people like you that quality control people love because you will settle for second best.

NG,

If Apple did not make such a point of their
superior aesthetics -- Ives et al -- and if they
were incapable of producing quality fit/finish
products, we would not have a case.

BUT, since Apple does make a HUGE point of
their superior design/fit/finish ( and rack in
millions based on that ), AND since they are
perfectly capable of delivering on that promise ( witness : iPod, iMac, G5 ) ...

THEN, we have every right to demand that the AESTHETIC ( read : "plastics" , stuck pixels, etc ) portion of their SALES PITCH be
D-E-L-I-V-E-R-E-D ....

I have never paid Apple with defective dollars.

Had ANY portion of my payment BOUNCED,
I would have heard from their COLLECTORS.

Apple Inc. is VERY anal-retentive about this :)

In a sad way, you are lucky (NG) that you have no appreciation of beauty in the design of machines. You will be happy with any turd
you are given.

But many of us find that a Mac with a flaw is much worse than a winbox with a flaw ; in the same way that a figure skater who falls on her ass looks far worse than a roller derby skater who falls on her's ..... get it ?

We expect more from Apple.

In fact, we pay more for it.

---gooddog

colinet
Dec 10, 2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Nicky G
You people are some anal-retentive weirdoes! My iBook exhibits all of the non-issues you are talking about. They are nothing. You are freaks. You would find fault with anything. My iBook G4 is solid, and the best machine I've ever owned. Not all of us dwell over "imperfections" that are mere fractions of a millimeter, and you have to be actively looking for to be bothered by. Sheesh!
When I looked at the thread 'anal' and 'retentive' were two words that came into my mind too along with the phrase 'get a life' My G4 iBook is over in the house and I'm not leaving my office to se if it has a minute gap here and there. i't a lovely machine but it isn't the best machine I'ver ever owned. That's my dual G5 and 23" Cinema display:)

groovebuster
Dec 10, 2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by colinet
i't a lovely machine but it isn't the best machine I'ver ever owned. That's my dual G5 and 23" Cinema display:)

So what's your point again?

groovebuster

Nicky G
Dec 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
The point is that you freaks would not find perfection in ANY manufactured good -- you are obsessive compulsive, and probably cause half the problems you complain about by poking and prodding at your machines so much, looking for flaws!

Trust me, I appreciate nicely crafted things, especially electronics. The iBook G4 certainly meets that definition to 99% of all people who would ever own and use it.

To the people unsure of whether they should buy one, based on the rantings of a few obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive folks on a bulletin board that caters mostly to obsessed Mac freaks, I say -- go to a store, try one out for yourself, and THEN decide. If you can't stand a barely-audible sound of a plastic part shifting 1/100mm, or a 1/25mm gap between two pieces of plastic (probably intentional, as it allows for more play in the parts, and thus, GREATER sturdiness in the long run), don't get it. If the 1/10mm lip of one small corner of the battery sticking out -- ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MACHINE -- freaks you out to no end, don't get one.

If you are closer to your average human (who still appreciates a nice laptop), I posit that you will likely LOVE the iBook G4, unlike some of the dorks on this board.

blue&whiteman
Dec 10, 2003, 05:39 PM
insulting people over and over makes you much more of a freak I would say. people wanting their purchase to be in perfect condition does not affect you in any way whatsoever yet you seem to take it as offensive like they are saying bad things about you. just to clarify, this thread is about imperfections in the ibook not about imperfections in you, nick. let people bitch if they want, thats what forums are for in some ways. if it bothers you that much then simply don't read what people type.

bullrat
Dec 10, 2003, 06:45 PM
<snipped>

Nicky G
Dec 10, 2003, 07:02 PM
FREAKS!

*outa here*

:rolleyes:

blue&whiteman
Dec 10, 2003, 07:09 PM
I know you are but what am I!?! :P

moron
Dec 10, 2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Nicky G
FREAKS!

*outa here*

How old are you??? I'm guessing 15!

colinet
Dec 10, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by moron
How old are you??? I'm guessing 15!

I agree with Nicky G - The iBook is a great laptop , the best value and the best laptop I've ever owned. The keyboard is perfectly level,straight and doesn't creak, but then I'm not 15, I', 61 so I might be too deaf to hear the creaks. The battery also fits perfectly. I suppose you 'perfectionists' spend all day with your heads inside paper bags so other people don't have to look at your imperfections.

If you all hate iBooks so much, why not buy PCs?

latergator116
Dec 10, 2003, 08:19 PM
i'm starting to think that apple should have stayed with the clamshell design as they were probably the toughest laptop case ever made next to the titanium powerbook. no one ever seemed to complain about them. the new ibook casing seems to really be flawed ever since they switched to the all white more squared style.

Exactly. I have always said the same thing. BTW, I am noticing the same problem on my 700mhz G3 iBook. Nothing big though.

switcher22
Dec 10, 2003, 08:46 PM
I just got a 14" iBook and my battery is almost perfectly flush and certainly doesn't bother me and the left side of my case is super solid even though I did upgrade to a 60 GB HD.

The only thing I'm having an issue with is the lower right corner of my keyboard seems to creek a bit when I type, specifically on the right arrow button.

has anybody else had this happen?

moron
Dec 10, 2003, 09:47 PM
I agree with Nicky G - The iBook is a great laptop , the best value and the best laptop I've ever owned. The keyboard is perfectly level,straight and doesn't creak, but then I'm not 15, I', 61 so I might be too deaf to hear the creaks. The battery also fits perfectly. I suppose you 'perfectionists' spend all day with your heads inside paper bags so other people don't have to look at your imperfections.

If you all hate iBooks so much, why not buy PCs?

You're missing the point. I wouldn't say you have to be a 'perfectionist' to expect something you've spent 1500 on to be perfect. My PB cost 2000, and luckily its been fine, but if the case wasn't fitted together properly and the battery wasn't flush, then I'd definately have done something about it.

Nobody is saying they hate iBooks, they are just reporting problems they've encountered with the machine. Perhaps you're too blind to read this thread properly, as well as too deaf to hear your machine squeak.

It seems that you're fortunate enough to have an iBook which is free from such problems. Congratulations. Although don't you think it's a bit ignorant, especially for a man of your years, to dismiss everyone elses problems as pedantic moans, just because they don't necessarily apply to you? Perhaps one day, when a problem develops with your machine, you can come and post about it here, and then I can tell you to stop moaning. That'd be ironic, eh?

huntsman
Dec 10, 2003, 10:20 PM
Here's my best attempt to outdo you all as the most trivial complaint: the metal ring of the headphone socket aligns with the right side of the hole in the plastic casing, leaving a small gap on the left! Outrageous!

More seriously, I think most of the issues here indicate that we are getting what we paid for--these iBook's are now cheaper than many of their PC equivalents. The design is great, the materials are good, but the build quality of our flash BMWs is heading down. And while we're not quite at the level of your average Ford or GM yet, we can't brag as loudly as we used to.

Indeed it seems one can compare the build quality complaints to the car industry... in any in-depth automobile review, the fit and finish will be discussed. The issues may often be trivial, but they sure as heck don't go unnoticed and shouldn't go undiscussed. Just as long as we keep our sense of perspective :)

blue&whiteman
Dec 10, 2003, 10:24 PM
I think that moron and huntsman both made very good points in the last 2 posts.

colinet
Dec 10, 2003, 11:09 PM
LAST MESSAGE -

And people who list their computers right down to the tiniest upgrades as part of their signature need to get out into the sunshine, smell the roses and get a life.

Most of you are all a bunch of sad lonely nerds

BYE:) :) :) :) :)

blue&whiteman
Dec 10, 2003, 11:36 PM
ok, this thread has gone way too off its point. just stop with all the mellow drama. insulting people at 61? say whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess...

btw, many of the members of this forum list their systems in their sig. so you are insulting about half the people here with that one.

colinet
Dec 11, 2003, 02:03 AM
btw, many of the members of this forum list their systems in their sig. so you are insulting about half the people here with that one.

Couldn't resist one more -

Any advice on how to insult the other half?

Hey, I've sold 2 million books, had 3 wives inclduing the best one ever right now. had 3 great daughters and just take n on a 10 year old foster daughter. I feel pretty good about m,ysel;f. I just like taking the piss out of people and don't suffer fools or wankers

Bye. and as you say so insincerely in the U.S. - Have a nice day

moron
Dec 11, 2003, 02:35 AM
Hey, I've sold 2 million books, had 3 wives inclduing the best one ever right now. had 3 great daughters and just take n on a 10 year old foster daughter. I feel pretty good about m,ysel;f.

Wow! You've done all that and you still act like a complete idiot? That's quite something! I've got a question - how come, despite the fact you claim to be so fulfilled and happy, you feel the need to come onto this forum and post random abuse at people? I'm sure it's a really good way to pass those hours, and raise your self esteem. You can sit back in your chair with a big smug smile on your face knowing that you've told all the nerds how stupid they are. Don't let the fact that you're acting like a tosser cloud your mind!

I just like taking the piss out of people and don't suffer fools or wankers

Then spending time on your own must be unbareable. I pitty you.

huntsman
Dec 11, 2003, 02:50 AM
Fearing this will get drowned out by pathetic bickering, but...

Can anyone else with an iBook G4 wish to confirm the palm rest clicking anomaly I mentioned earlier? Try pressing down the palm rest on the sides of the touchpad using either your fingers or palm of your hands, and see if it clicks.

Also, can anyone comment on the battery latch matter I mentioned on the previous page?

Oh, and just to add to the list here, does anyone else find the front latch doesn't always clip down when closing the iBook, requiring a second press?

groovebuster
Dec 11, 2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by huntsman
Can anyone else with an iBook G4 wish to confirm the palm rest clicking anomaly I mentioned earlier? Try pressing down the palm rest on the sides of the touchpad using either your fingers or palm of your hands, and see if it clicks.

Here! :eek: :(

gooddog
Dec 11, 2003, 04:24 AM
When I installed my wi-fi card, I learned that the keyboard was very tricky to put back.

I had to put on some 4X reading glasses and use a flashlight to get every little tab in place - then it was solid and level all around.

I can only suggest that you re-position it VERY carefully - studying the tabs to see how they should interlock.

---gooddog

gooddog
Dec 11, 2003, 04:41 AM
Again,

Apple SELLS good looks as well as good machines.

I once saw a wealthy gent dressed to the hilt
( a bit like Mr. Peanut) lean against the back quarter of his Rolls , with one hand, to look up at the sign outside the building next to him.

Just then, his driver took off, sending the gent spinning and down on his ass into a puddle.

The fact that he was so ELEGANTLY ATTIRED made the whole thing look far worse and outrageously comical to everyone at the busy down town Miami intersection.

Nobody hated the gent.

It just looked ridiculous.

He could have saved himself some expense
( as far as this incident goes) with a Ford Pinto and a pair of Bermuda shorts.

--------------

Maybe it's time for third party mfg. of cases
that specialize in delivering non-DEFECTIVE
plastics , to come in and show the permissive
types that it takes no miracle to make a case that does NOT suck.

---gooddog

wolverine
Dec 11, 2003, 05:29 AM
I think my keyboard problem is pretty genuine, pressing the 's' key once sometimes produces two 's' characters.

Anyone else got this?

Wolverine

RoadKill
Dec 11, 2003, 06:22 AM
Your fingers are too fat. To obtain a free typing wand, please mash the keyboard now

wolverine
Dec 11, 2003, 01:45 PM
Cheeky bugger :P

visor
Dec 11, 2003, 03:18 PM

Hm, I've no problem with 2nd best if it still does what I want of it. I do have a problem paying winner prices for 2nd best racers.

visor
Dec 11, 2003, 03:22 PM
I just noticed for the first time that if I press down hard enough on the bottom corners of my iBook G4's trackpad, it clicks and acts as a mouse button

OMG... I was fiddling with it while typing the above, and found that pressing the down the palm rest beside the trackpad/button makes it click :eek:

If I use both hands (one either side) I can click it from the middle of the palm rest.
Think yourself lucky, you have the prototype of apples 2button trackpad ;)

wolverine
Dec 13, 2003, 08:26 AM

Yep, I've got this problem too...

Wolverine

iAdam
Dec 13, 2003, 05:06 PM
I also have 12 inch BTO iBook G4 with everything. Its seemed to be very well put together. If i put on hand on the white part in the left hand conrner, and another on the grey part in that area i can jiggle them apart alittle bit, not much at all. Also when the screen is closed the screen seems to leen a little bit to the right, just a little mit. To me these are minor little things and I'm not woring to much. (Forgot, as posted below my battery does sink slightly below case)

labratmatt
Dec 13, 2003, 09:34 PM
In defense of the iBook -

Maybe it is different because I ordered a stock iBook G4 14", but my fit in finish is really good overall. I have no creaking or popping, but I do have a couple of things that bother me; the battery doesn't fit flush with the case, and the keyboard is a little spongy in the top right-hand corner. Aside from these two little problems, it looks great.

Too bad Apple isn't doing better with QA, this is one of their biggest strengths.

wolverine
Dec 15, 2003, 01:58 PM
My keyboard's a bit spongy in the top right hand corner too. I've heard Apple have recognised the loose bottom left hand corner of the case and are replacing some parts. On mine and a few other people's I know, if you rest your wrist on the bottom left hand corner, the trackpad goes crazy.

Wolverine

rag on a muffin
Dec 25, 2003, 11:10 PM
i think i have all u beat, unfortunatly. well has anyone had the pleasant experience of using a broken trackpad?? well, if you havent, basically, the mouse will spaz out randomly and just completely unpleasent. thats not all, i think ive expperienced all teh problems u guys have. also i noticed taht if u pushed the center of the trackpad, it will give way. this is unacceptable. i have not had a good experience with a mac since my 8500. my older 500 mhz ibook had over 20 problems, not wanting to name them. (allmost every involved the screen) unfortunatly i fear apple is degrading in quality.

iAdam
Dec 26, 2003, 12:20 AM
Have any of these problems been occuring with Powerbooks?

Echnin
Dec 26, 2003, 08:47 PM
Hey, thanks for the warnings. I'll be looking for these problems when I go to buy my iBook G4 12.1" in January! As for all the namecalling and bitching in this thread, let's all behave as adults, even those of us who aren't!

rag on a muffin
Dec 26, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rag on a muffin
i think i have all u beat, unfortunatly. well has anyone had the pleasant experience of using a broken trackpad?? well, if you havent, basically, the mouse will spaz out randomly and just completely unpleasent. thats not all, i think ive expperienced all teh problems u guys have. also i noticed taht if u pushed the center of the trackpad, it will give way. this is unacceptable. i have not had a good experience with a mac since my 8500. my older 500 mhz ibook had over 20 problems, not wanting to name them. (allmost every involved the screen) unfortunatly i fear apple is degrading in quality.

hpoe not, ive been strongly thinking of switching to one

Mehmet
Dec 26, 2003, 10:48 PM
you know what's funny..

I thought buying first gen stuff would be a total crapshoot..

but i bought the first gen tibooks anyway (actually ordered it the day it was released), and not a problem at all..

well there was ONE problem, the cdrom was fudged up, but thats because we dropped the PB on to the Cdrom corner, i also fixed that too (just needed reseating)...

moral of the story is : buy first gen products. or dont buy them. damn it, there is no moral.

brianbobcat
Dec 28, 2003, 02:14 PM
Right now I'm using an iBook G3 that my school bought over the summer. It has the new white case also with alot of the same issues you guys r having(battery flush, case squeeking/creeking, keyboard, trackpad,ect.) Anyways, I noticed these the second I started to use the ibook, but they don't bother me that much. Sure apple SHOULD have better quality, but it's a case. The machine still works PERFECTLY. Also, despite the creeks in the case, I've picked up and carried the ibook by the bottom left corner, and haven't second thought me doin that at all. The case isn't going to give way, it may only creek a little.
The iBook is still better than any Winblowz machine ever could be.

-Brian

brianbobcat
Dec 28, 2003, 02:25 PM
i just took the battery out of my ibook, and realised that it appears that the glue they used to glue the white finished plastic to the battery itself is comming loose from the battery making it appear that the battery is not sitting flush w/ the ibook.

-Brian

plasticparadox
Dec 29, 2003, 03:02 PM
This may be a silly solution, but with my G4 iBook, I just bought the Apple USB keyboard & mouse, so I don't ever actually have to touch the iBook.

I figure the less I touch it, the less likely it is to fall apart. Added benefit is that my iBook will stay white for a long time.

& yes, the left corner of mine does squeak, but that doesn't bother me.

tsch
Jan 3, 2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by switcher22
I just got a 14" iBook and my battery is almost perfectly flush and certainly doesn't bother me and the left side of my case is super solid even though I did upgrade to a 60 GB HD.

The only thing I'm having an issue with is the lower right corner of my keyboard seems to creek a bit when I type, specifically on the right arrow button.

has anybody else had this happen?

Mine does. The lower right corner of the hand rest is a little bit loose as well. My battery is also a little out of whack. After I finish calibrating the battery (I got the computer less than an hour ago and guess what? the corner is clicking). I'll take the battery out and see if I can reseat it correctly before plugging it back into the wall.

I don't think that these are too nitpicky of details to complain about. $1100 is a lot of money for me, and there is no reason that I should expect or accept the product to be anything less than perfect. I shouldn't have to expect a sub-standard product simply because I didn't buy from the "professional" product line.

5300cs
Jan 4, 2004, 07:08 AM
this is why I have not owned a laptop since the 540 in 96. too many little things to go wrong.
I have a 540c. The bezzle underneath the display is pretty good at falling off after a few years :D

I have/had a 500Mhz iBook (very 1st revision) and it had similar problems. A lot of creaking (especially the hinge - sounds like a frickin haunted house when I open it) same as my 800Mhz iBook now. I didn't pay a that much for mine, so I wasn't that pissed. The paint coming off my TiBook - that's a different story. Someone here said no one complained about the TiBooks...check again, there are plenty of complaints.

If anything, I've noticed that the older white iBooks were more rugged than the newer ones; what's with all these people having their logic boards replaced 2 or 3 times ??? That would piss me off WAY more than creaking.

I have a VAIO laptop and the whole thing WARPED - as in it wouldn't sit on a table flat without rattling until I bent it back into shape. Anyone have that problem before?

As always, play with a display model. Go nuts on it: squeeze it, do whatever, then decide.

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 10:41 AM
I think as laptops nowadays go down in cost and get thiner and thiner, they also get much cheaper. It seems like smaller they get, the more things that are likely to go wrong with them.

OutThere
Jan 4, 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
Yep, I've got this problem too...

Wolverine

Who says that it's a problem? It's just a button, when you press around it the plastic around it moves down, it pushes the button down. It don't think that this would affect anyone unless they put about 15 pounds of pressure right next to the trackpad button when they typed. I don't mean to get people angry, but I really don't think that endlessly posting your problems here is going to solve anything. Call Apple, if they won't fix it, then just deal with it. If it's that important to you then build your own case.

gooddog
Jan 4, 2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
I think as laptops nowadays go down in cost and get thiner and thiner, they also get much cheaper. It seems like smaller they get, the more things that are likely to go wrong with them.

There seems to be something unhealthy with the "thinness" mania.

What is it really about ?

Cyber-bulemia ?

When a laptop shows image distortions at the mere touch of the opposite side of the lid, then
we have carried thinnes too far.

All of these structural/functional flaws probably stem from a too flimsy frame.

---gooddog

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 03:43 PM
well, as the laptop gets thinner, so do the parts inside of them. Thats why laptop hard drives are a lot less reliable than desktop hard drives. Also, the frames get cheaper. for example, the iBook uses a cheap magnesium frame which I can assure you is very thin

JSRockit
Jan 5, 2004, 08:02 AM
My 12" iBook G4 isn't that bad...but the left hand rest does move up if I pull it up. On my 12" pBook, the plastic and metal combination around the screen are coming apart....it is about 1 year old. Just minor cosmetic things...but annoying. It is just weird. The TiBook used to seem perfect and all of the plastic pBooks (pismo etc) were perfect. It seems apple is trying to use materials now that don't work well together ie rubber, plastic, metal etc.

old_mac
Jun 5, 2004, 06:17 PM
My iBook G4 has the same squeak in the left corner. Put a piece of paper towel between the keyboard and the tin shield and it makes the keyboard very quite and more solid feeling. No heat problems.

The keyboard is really cheap.I have managed to pop two key in the first week. What a pain. Just caught it with my finger nail.

Does anyone know who sells replacement key caps?

Chris

LaMerVipere
Jun 5, 2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah my 12" iBook G4 creaks too.

Specifically, if you push down with even a little pressure on the bottom of the right side, beneath the combo drive, and big creaks if you push down on the bottom of the machine, underneath the display connector. (the part below the label which reads "iBook G4" and on which it says "Designed by Apple in California...")

Also, like you said, the white and gray do not meet evenly all around the machine, kind of annoying, but my next computer will be either a powerbook or iMac G5 after WWDC2004!

LaMerVipere
Jun 5, 2004, 07:17 PM

Me too! :eek:

Also, there is a large "smoothed" spot on my trackpad, I guess from repeated use. But this screams of "cheap" construction!

I think I will have to take my ibook g4 in to be fixed soon as well, because for no reason at all the trackpad will just go insane and be entirely unusable and eratic and with a mind of its own, so I have to use an external mouse (thank god I have one) and then it will begin working again hours later with no problems! For 2 straight months the trackpad would be eratic and unusable (i couldn't take it in for service because i couldn't afford to be without a computer for a week or 2) and then one day it was back to normal, now its back to not working

stupid cheap ibooks, GAH!

wide
Jun 5, 2004, 09:13 PM
Do any of you realize that threads like this (mainly about how Apple has terrible support policies and that most of their notebooks are in need of support they do not give) have almost completely turned me off of Macs? I might not get a Mac any more...a plasma screen TV seems like a better option :D.

blue&whiteman
Jun 5, 2004, 09:39 PM
Do any of you realize that threads like this (mainly about how Apple has terrible support policies and that most of their notebooks are in need of support they do not give) have almost completely turned me off of Macs? I might not get a Mac any more...a plasma screen TV seems like a better option :D.

so get one and stop trolling. I don't understand why people want to be here if they don't like macs.. what other reason could it be than to troll?

wide and dopefiend seem like maybe the same person. they both have that always hinting toward being anti-mac way about them.

it seems some pc users are even offended at the idea of macs in general. like just hearing the word mac makes them go "eww" as some I know have. how small does someone have to be to be bothered by computers they don't or hardly use?

the bottom line is that neither platform is perfect but in most mac users opinions the mac is much closer. do you really think we would tolerate higher prices, less software selection, less hardware compatibility if macs sucked?

besides, this is a hardware help area so everything you see pretty much is about a hardware problem. I assure you this is a very small amount of the total amount out there.

Dr. No
Jun 6, 2004, 01:52 AM
Someone else on the thread was wondering this-- do PowerBooks have any of the same problems? Namely the 15 inch version, it is the next step up from the 14" iBook.

old_mac
Jun 6, 2004, 08:57 AM
Someone else on the thread was wondering this-- do PowerBooks have any of the same problems? Namely the 15 inch version, it is the next step up from the 14" iBook.

20 years!!! My first Mac was a Lisa 1982. How time flies when you have a Mac!

I like the iBook and it is good value. My son bought a 1 gig powerbook last year and there is no comparison in quality. The powerbook is like a fine Swiss watch. Perfect fit and finish. Lovely keyboard. The iBook is like a cheap knock-off . Mind you it works well, just has cosmetic problems

The keyboard on the iBook feels nice to use but is very flimsy. Tiny plastic parts. I think they will be trouble in the future.

Chris

gooddog
Jun 6, 2004, 04:11 PM
The keyboard on the iBook feels nice to use but is very flimsy. Tiny plastic parts. I think they will be trouble in the future.

Chris[/QUOTE]

It's an outrage that, after so many complaints from loyal Mac users, the bautifully conceived iBook case STILL seems to be manufactured by The Franklin Mint.

From bad reed switches killing displays, to gull-wing , single latch lid, to lop-sided hinges, to crappy keyboards, to lousy trackpads ( even the cheapest windoze laptops at Fry's have a far better tracking pad and fit and finish ) etc.

Why a simple thing like a CASE should thwart Apple inc. is beyond me.

I see too that the 12" iBook ( my favorite ) is treated (inexplicably) as the "toy" version of the laptops -- just because it has a smaller screen.

Why ? -

I simply want compactness -- not "basic" feature sets.

When it comes to creature comforts and RAM etc., it ought to match the 14" as much as possible.

Certainly, it should have been first in line for ADC connector to 23" Cinema's.

ALL laptops ought to have illuminated keyboards ( USB lamps cast shadows and are uneven, clumsy ).

I can see faster, newer processors for the PRO laptops, and even slightly larger drives, and Superdrive..... but lit keys ? Dual-head ? , RAM capacity ?

My other favorite is the much maligned iMac -- still poised to purchase next rev. --- my 15" original FP iMac G4 800 is built like a tank -- no cheap case here.

It's a crying shame that a tasteless POS windoze design can be built with well-fitted lids, key caps, etc.
while a gorgeous design like the 12" icebook has to be trashed by Franklin Mint level quality controls.

I am so sad and discouraged to hear of the G4 iBooks latest defects :(

I thought I saw one at the Apple Store in Glendale with a properly fitted lid ... but now the keyboard sucks huh. Great ! Way to go Apple!

And I simply don't have a need for the PowerBook , so I guess I'll just have to spray paint over the Apple logo on my iBook, stick some decals on the cover, and otherwise cheapen the look of it .... to match the lousy fit n' finish provided by Apple manufacturers.

There's nothing worse than an elegantly attired gentleman trailing a length of toilet paper from his fancy shoe.

---gooddog

old_mac
Jun 7, 2004, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=gooddog]

It's an outrage that, after so many complaints from loyal Mac users, the bautifully conceived iBook case STILL seems to be manufactured by The Franklin Mint.

[/QUOTE

Yes the fit of some case parts is poor., But in no way would I let this stop me from buying an iBook. There are very few reports about function problems.

I think the Powerbooks are made in Tiawan in Apple's main supplier's factory and the iBooks are made in China. Simply there is a lack of quality control, or engineers are not trouble shooting production like they should.

I have spent 30 years in the plastic industry and some of the die work that is required to produce the iBook is simply amazing! Injection moulding is part science and part magic. Tolerences can be held very close, but since plastic goes from a molten state to a solid, even 5 degrees in air temperature can have an effect on part fitting. A squeak indicates very close tolerences, but poor engineering. The parts should not move.
These troubles can usually be fixed in the dies, buy grinding away material to produce thicker parts etc. It appears Apple is not on the ball here.

All things considered the 1ghz iBook is one of the most powerful laptops for the money.

CD

keysersoze
Jun 7, 2004, 09:38 AM

I went from a creaky iBook G4 800 to a rev C 12" 1.33 PBook... so I feel all of your pain. The lower left was always creaking when I pushed on it a bit too hard. The battery didn't fit snugly either. I had to have the HD AND Logic board replaced after failures. I just gave up on it 2 weeks ago... thus far my 12" PBook has been solid as a rock. No creaking, white spots, dead pixels or track-pad weirdness. All in all I am happy with it...just wish my iBook had been as solid.

Crikey
Jun 7, 2004, 12:59 PM
I sympathize with the folks who have discovered problems with their iBooks. It is unfortunate that not all Macs live up to the high standards their fans hold them to. Not just iBooks, but PowerBooks are being made in China now, and starting up the new plants may have led to some of the problems of the last year.

No one has yet mentioned this, so I'll chime in. Ergonomics specialists advise that when you're typing, your wrists should not be in contact with the wrist rest or desktop surface; you should hold your arms so that your wrists float above the surface.

That's one of the nice features of the new PowerBooks: when you let your wrist down on the rest, the heat reminds you of your poor keyboarding technique. It's like a behaviorist's negative reinforcement approach to teaching typing technique.

Personally, I too rest my wrists on the surface, but I've read it's incorrect.

Cheers,

Crikey

gooddog
Jun 7, 2004, 04:25 PM
These troubles can usually be fixed in the dies, buy grinding away material to produce thicker parts etc. It appears Apple is not on the ball here.

All things considered the 1ghz iBook is one of the most powerful laptops for the money.

CD[/QUOTE]

I imagine Mr. Ives can't be too happy to see his beautiful designs executed in China in the same way they execute their dissidents.

Ever since I learned just a bit about the amazing complexity living inside computer cases, I wondered why such marvels of mathematics, engineering , etc. were not celebrated with an exterior to match : it seemed that aesthetically challenged engineers were put in charge of industrial design. American - made cabinets were gaudy , ornate dust catchers. Then Sony started marketing their monitors with that wonderful Japanese simplicity and elegance that served up a TV image in a flat black plate -- like a sushi masterpiece, while we obliterated beauty with unnecessary multiple bezels, gold tone paint, and the like.

Then Apple came along and started making their almost-human computers in their eye-candy wrappers and I knew I was in nirvana.

So what happened ?

Let's form a Volunteer Esthetics Rescue Movement International ( V.E.R.M.I.N ) ---- Apple ships their dies to us ... along with some sand paper and files ... and WE put the finishing touches on :)

BTW, I heard, in the news, that new developments have made it possible to vacuum mold metals the way plastics are molded. What does it mean for I.D. and Apple ?

---gooddog

Dr. No
Jun 11, 2004, 03:40 AM
Many other threads on MacRumors seem to priaise the iBook G4s, and even recommend them. Have the iBooks gotten better?? These threads have very good things to say about the iBook G4:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=68669
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=69101

and many others say that the iBook is "more durable" and has very high quality palstics. Does anyone here recommend the iBook? Opinions seem to be varied, and I need a Mac laptop soon (either a 14" iB or a 15" pB) :)

old_mac
Jun 12, 2004, 08:25 AM
Does anyone here recommend the iBook? Opinions seem to be varied, and I need a Mac laptop soon (either a 14" iB or a 15" pB) :)

ABSOLUTELY!! For the money the iBook is great! It suffers from a few squeaks if you press the case in the right/wrong place. The keyboard is great in feel, (I prefer it to the Powerbook), however the keys are very flimsy and have been known to come off.

Functionally the iBook G4 is just about a Powerbook. When you get a clock speed of a Gig a few more mhz is meaningless. If you want the status of the powerbook, and very warm wrists when typing and are willing to pay $500+ for the privilege the Powerbook is for you.

My son's Powerbook screen has 4 dead pixels, my iBook has none.

For me it is the iBook...I like the white case..it matches my ipod! Unless you really think you need a 14" screen get a 12" you will appreciate the smaller size in transport. I can do graphics on the 12" easier in some cases than on a 17" crt.

Chris

:cool:

calebjohnston
Feb 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have all the same creaking problems with the plastic as you guys do on my 12" g4 ibook, but the biggest issue for me is that the button on the trackpad creaks when resting my thumb on it. the noise drives me insane.

and the display creaks when lifting up/down, but that's not a big deal.

EDIT: this thread is years old, quite sorry.

Selenolycus
Feb 24, 2006, 11:23 PM
EDIT: this thread is years old, quite sorry.

Yeah, I read through the first few posts only looking at months (thinking it was just a couple of months old) then I saw a post from April, saw the year.. "uhhh..."

:p