PDA

View Full Version : Bought Itouch on Ebay

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 11:41 AM
They didn't change/delete anything on it. When i plug the USB cord that i bought up into my computer, i can't delete their songs or put mine on there. Any help?

skierdb526
Jun 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
restore the firmware

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 11:50 AM
dont know how to do that. I'm new to this whole Apple thing. I've got Itunes, thats about it.

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 11:53 AM
dont know how to do that. I'm new to this whole Apple thing. I've got Itunes, thats about it.

plug it in, wait for the ipod to show up on the sidebar in itunes, click on it. Then you'll see a button next to update that says restore, click on that and hit yes or ok. Then it will download the firmware (which will take a while since it's really big) and it will restore it for you. Good as new! let me know if you need anymore help.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
when i plug the touch up, and i open itunes, a box comes up and says Itunes has detacted that this is not the default audio player. Would you like to go to the Default Program control panel to fix this?..I do this, but it keeps coming up. Also, I dont see the touch show up on the side panel. Maybe I'm over looking it, but i dont think i am.

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 12:03 PM
when i plug the touch up, and i open itunes, a box comes up and says Itunes has detacted that this is not the default audio player. Would you like to go to the Default Program control panel to fix this?..I do this, but it keeps coming up. Also, I dont see the touch show up on the side panel. Maybe I'm over looking it, but i dont think i am.

ok an easy way to do this without all of these problems is just doing a do a force restore.

here's a video on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzyy4puapig

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:11 PM
ok i did exactly what the video said, and its doing the thing on the screen, the only thing is, the box didnt come up for me to check to restore or not to.

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 12:13 PM
ok i did exactly what the video said, and its doing the thing on the screen, the only thing is, the box didnt come up for me to check to restore or not to.

hmm, seems as if either the usb cord is not working or the ipod itself is not working (the port for usb). If you have another usb cord, give that a try.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:16 PM
the USB should work, i just bought it and it charges the touch when plugged in. But as of right now, the picture on the screen is the same one in the video with the part that plugs into the touch, the arrow pointing up, and the Itunes symbol.

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 12:18 PM
the USB should work, i just bought it and it charges the touch when plugged in. But as of right now, the picture on the screen is the same one in the video with the part that plugs into the touch, the arrow pointing up, and the Itunes symbol.

so if you unplug it and plug it back in (maybe in a different usb port) it doesn't say restore or recognize it at all? Are you using a mac or pc?

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:19 PM
no, nothing comes up. PC

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
no, nothing comes up. PC

really weird, can you try another computer? trying to see whether it's the ipod or the computer.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:23 PM
it might actually be my laptop, because my Zune stopped working properly after a little bit. Let me try it, and ill get back to you. Thanks for the help so far!

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 12:26 PM
it might actually be my laptop, because my Zune stopped working properly after a little bit. Let me try it, and ill get back to you. Thanks for the help so far!

np, if it doesn't work on the other computer then I'll show you how to see how much warranty is left/how to send it in. Or if your near an apple store you can just take it in there and they'll take care of it for you. Try it on another computer first though.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
alright, i got nothing from both computers. Same thing is goin on.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
alright, i got nothing from both computers. Same thing is goin on.

Try installing the latest version of iTunes, and if you have that, try uninstalling/re-installing iTunes.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 12:43 PM
so, whats going on when the Touch has the plug in, the arrow and the itunes symbol on the screen?

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
so, whats going on when the Touch has the plug in, the arrow and the itunes symbol on the screen?

it's in restore mode, meaning it's ready to have a new firmware installed, after trying to reinstall itunes like IgnatiusTheKing said, go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do to see how much warranty you have left. Now either make an appointment at the genius bar if you have an apple store near you or request service online and they will send an empty box to your house, all you have to do is ship it back with the prepaid label. Good luck.

Now that I think about it. This person on ebay probably knew this was a problem before sending it to you, you could try contacting him.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
thank you very much. I appreciate the help. one more question...when im on safari...is there way to zoom in on what i'm looking at? everytime i try to click on something, i usually hit the wrong one.

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 01:09 PM
thank you very much. I appreciate the help. one more question...when im on safari...is there way to zoom in on what i'm looking at? everytime i try to click on something, i usually hit the wrong one.

if it's just text you can use the apple + or apple -.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 14, 2008, 02:58 PM

To zoom in do a sort-of "reverse pinch" where you put two fingers (most people use a thumb and index finger) together on the spot you want to zoom in on, then spread them apart. You can also tap twice quickly (with one finger) on the spot you wish to zoom in on.

This site (http://www.interactivegestures.com/index.php?title=IPhone) might help you with the iPhone/Ipod touch gestures.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm not positive on how to uninstall something, so could i just reinstall itunes again and it serve the same purpose?

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'm not positive on how to uninstall something, so could i just reinstall itunes again and it serve the same purpose?

On a PC, there is an Add or Remove Programs utility in the Control Panels. Just open it, select iTunes and tell it to remove it from your system. Then re-install.

Google is your friend. (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925)

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 10:39 PM
this is what i bought..I thought it was a sync cable too..but apparently it's only a charging cable...maybe i'm wrong.

http://electronics.hsn.com/belkin-home-and-car-charging-kit-for-ipod-with-shuffle-charging-cable_p-4133951_xp.aspx

techlover828
Jun 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
this is what i bought..I thought it was a sync cable too..but apparently it's only a charging cable...maybe i'm wrong.

http://electronics.hsn.com/belkin-home-and-car-charging-kit-for-ipod-with-shuffle-charging-cable_p-4133951_xp.aspx

I'm not really 100% sure what that even is. I think you should pick yourself up an apple sync cable.

vol4
Jun 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
yea, i'm an idiot, i just looked on the cable and it says charging cable only..lol.sorry for all the trouble today. I'm goin to pick a sync cable up in the morning at walmart.