PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates v. Steve Jobs on BBC2

MacRumors
Dec 4, 2003, 02:19 PM
BBCNews (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/worlds_most_powerful/default.stm) is broadcasting a Bill Gates vs. Steve Jobs edition of their "The World's Most Powerful" television series.

The series "examines some of the most powerful celebrities in the world. It traces their stardom back to its roots and plots their path to fame. Financial guru, Alvin Hall weighs up their celebrity and influence and answers the question: Who is the World's Most Powerful?"

The program is available on BBC2 in the UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/prog_parse.cgi?FILENAME=20031204/20031204_2150_4224_42772_40).

Java
Dec 4, 2003, 02:30 PM
What time would that be Pacific time? This should be exciting!

Phobophobia
Dec 4, 2003, 02:32 PM
Go BBC!

iGav
Dec 4, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Java
What time would that be Pacific time? This should be exciting!

1.50pm (PST)

arn
Dec 4, 2003, 02:36 PM
hopefully some UK people will let us know who wins :)

arn

jbrown
Dec 4, 2003, 02:41 PM
should be interesting ---

CrackedButter
Dec 4, 2003, 02:44 PM
I'm going to watch it but i expect a biased or misinformed account of the two.

However it is the BBC and i have some hope anyway.

mrsebastian
Dec 4, 2003, 02:46 PM
[michael buffer's voice] leeeeeeeeeeeet's get ready to ruuuuuuumble!

Max Miles
Dec 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
I haven't been able to find on the BBC site an online version of the broadcast. Any of you on the west coast or in the states know where or how to watch it? How are you guys going to watch this? I have cable, but it doesn't carry the BBC.

max

arn
Dec 4, 2003, 02:52 PM
I don't think people in the U.S. can get it. We're going to have to rely on our UK counterparts.

arn

Max Miles
Dec 4, 2003, 02:56 PM
C-Span has a video stream which I regularly watch, the BBC should be doing the same. Aren't they in the process of digitizing ALL of their programming from the last century? You'd think with such progressive ventures they'd have a stream going...

anyway,

m

CrackedButter
Dec 4, 2003, 02:56 PM
Pity i don't have a tv capture card.

Wait! I don't even have a TV either...good i got an hour then to find one!

Websnapx2
Dec 4, 2003, 02:58 PM
there is a BBC channel on Direct TV in the 200's, thought I don't know if it will be broadcasting the program...

Trowaman
Dec 4, 2003, 03:02 PM
If anyone could, please, for the love of "god who blesses America" *pshaw* could one of you guys record it and post it online? It'd be great for the rest of the world. Thanks for anyone who does.

themadchemist
Dec 4, 2003, 03:03 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, though...

Bill Gates is definitely more 'powerful' than Steve Jobs. The prevalence of Windows gives Gates an incalculable degree of power. Steve is a leader of innovators, a visionary, and a truly admirable personage in the world of tech, but he doesn't have the power (in general) the Billy has.

Though his ways with the Music industry make you give it a second though...

captain kirk
Dec 4, 2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Trowaman
If anyone could, please, for the love of "god who blesses America" *pshaw* could one of you guys record it and post it online? It'd be great for the rest of the world. Thanks for anyone who does.

Hi guys, forgive me if this post goes wrong, I'm a newbie to this site. I'd willingly record it for you and post it in my idisk but my eyetv is knackered. I will give an imformed opinion of the show in a couple of hours. The bbc do have a good reputation (even in the uk) for providing a fair and balance perspective.

jayscheuerle
Dec 4, 2003, 03:09 PM
We have BBC News, that's about it...

Max Miles
Dec 4, 2003, 03:10 PM
It's interesting to see expressed in this little predicament the limits of technology, or in our use of it to date. The technology is there, but where are we? Americans can't watch a british show, how silly. We're always lagging economically behind the advent of technology, is that it? Can't get a TV recorder until I can afford one, can't get a G5 until... etc.

Brock
Dec 4, 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
Let's not kid ourselves, though...

Bill Gates is definitely more 'powerful' than Steve Jobs. The prevalence of Windows gives Gates an incalculable degree of power. Steve is a leader of innovators, a visionary, and a truly admirable personage in the world of tech, but he doesn't have the power (in general) the Billy has.

Though his ways with the Music industry make you give it a second though...

I agree, Steve Jobs has admirable qualities in a world leader, like charisma and charm (and hygiene). But Bill Gates has been more 'successful', by purely Capitalistic standards. I mean, didn't Bill keep Apple in business for the past 10-15 years? Didn't Microsoft own a large minority of Apple's stock? I mean, Bill doesn't do this for altruistic reasons of course, he needs Apple, so that he doesn't run a complete monopoly, but let's not kid ourselves, Apple is nothing compared to the financial empire of Microsoft.

In conclusion, Apple is better than Microsoft, and capitalism sucks.

k2k koos
Dec 4, 2003, 03:15 PM
Finally some interesting television, although probably biased, but then again so are we, or am I wrong?

Looking at the BBC's website regarding this program, the research they did on Steve could have been better, but that's just the BBC, let's see what the program presenter makes of it.
Most powerful doesn't have to mean strictly money(which is Bill, no doubt).
What about the fact that Apple computer under Stee's rule is able to transform entire industries, (think imac design, translucency) launch new ones, is innovative, and copied by others (see the recent iTunes examples).
That can be regarded as powerful too, although most influencial is probably better...
Now the 64 bit computing is next (and in full swing)... I'll keep you guys posted!

;)

zelet
Dec 4, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Brock
I agree, Steve Jobs has admirable qualities in a world leader, like charisma and charm (and hygiene). But Bill Gates has been more 'successful', by purely Capitalistic standards. I mean, didn't Bill keep Apple in business for the past 10-15 years? Didn't Microsoft own a large minority of Apple's stock?

Yes, monitarily Bill Gates is more powerful than Steve Jobs - but put it this way: If Jobs and Gates died 4 years ago - which death would have a greater impact on the world. MS would have continued like it always has but Apple would have been dead. There wouldn't have been ITMS or iTunes. There wouldn't be such success for wireless or for DVD-RWS. There would be no company in the world pushing the envelope the way that Apple/Jobs does.

About the part where MS has funded Apple - that is crap. What happened was MS was losing an intellectual property lawsuit with Apple and the settlement that they reached was that MS would buy some NON-VOTING stock. All of which was paid back for a profit for MS. It wasn't much of a settlement but it worked out for the best.

Brock
Dec 4, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by zelet
Yes, monitarily Bill Gates is more powerful than Steve Jobs - but put it this way: If Jobs and Gates died 4 years ago - which death would have a greater impact on the world. MS would have continued like it always has but Apple would have been dead. There wouldn't have been ITMS or iTunes. There wouldn't be such success for wireless or for DVD-RWS. There would be no company in the world pushing the envelope the way that Apple/Jobs does.

No, I completely agree with you one that. Certainly if Apple had died 4 years ago, I would be out of a job (or maybe still working at Mcdonalds). I'm just wondering how The BBC will judge the contribution Steve has made to the world.

sethypoo
Dec 4, 2003, 03:36 PM
Hey everyone, I got this from the Direct TV site.

BBC America, Channel 264

The very best of British television comes to America. Enjoy internationally acclaimed dramas, cutting-edge comedies, world-class news and compelling documentaries.

Maybe it'll be on.....I don't have Direct TV, but those who do should check!

NusuniAdmin
Dec 4, 2003, 03:41 PM
If they are doing it by strength then Jobs would kill gates. Gates is a little weakling, at least during keynotes u can tell Jobs has some muscels.

SiliconAddict
Dec 4, 2003, 03:43 PM
Bill Gates v. Steve Jobs on BBC2

IN A NO HOLDS BARRED SMACKDOWN!!! WHICH NERD WILL PREVAIL?!?!?

Tickets are now 10 BUCKSBUCKSBUCKSBUCKSBUCKS!!!

Sorry. :p That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the headlines.

gothamac
Dec 4, 2003, 03:51 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/

edesignuk
It's just starting...bbl ;)

MacsRgr8
He he, it's gonna start...

Luckily across the North Sea we can watch it too!

BTW, BBC is less biased than Sky IMHO..... ;)

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 03:54 PM
At least they start with Steve....
:)

edesignuk
Dec 4, 2003, 03:56 PM
oh dear, bill 1, jobs 0 :(

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 03:59 PM
Bill is the "obvious" entrepreneur...
Steve is the hitchhiker...

NoVi
Dec 4, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by k2k koos

What about the fact that Apple computer under Stee's rule is able to transform entire industries, (think imac design, translucency) ...
;)

Even today I was reminded with that fact by my kids, after I bought a 'translucent mop'..."Hey dad, it looks like an iMac" :)

http://www.glassex.nl/add.gif

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 04:03 PM
Love seeing Woz!

:)

Mr.Hey
Dec 4, 2003, 04:04 PM
If you do manage to capture/incode....you might want to consider BitTorrent (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18286) then go to http://www.suprnova.org/ and upload it. You'll be able to distribute the file with out taxing your server and when there is more than one user with the file you can stop sharing.

edesignuk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:06 PM
ok, better, bill 1, jobs 1 :)

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 04:08 PM
The part I h8:

Bill gets deal with IBM to license MS-DOS which he bought off some small guy....
Nothing of his own.

Nothing has changed.
:mad:

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 04:15 PM
Gotta say this:
Bill was a real a$$hole in court in 1999....

MorganX
Dec 4, 2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Gotta say this:
Bill was a real a$$hole in court in 1999....

Cool, now he has street cred..

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 04:25 PM
Hmmm... BBC is slamming pretty hard on M$'s abuse of its monopoly positiions... pointing the finger also to the US administration.

edesignuk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:28 PM
Billy boy won! :(

crap freakboy
bugger missed it

Alvin Hall gets on my wick anyway.

dtcd
Gates wins! Cos his software is everywhere! Or something!

hvfsl
Jobs is basically shown as the creative genious behind the computer revolution.

Bill Gates just copies, but is in the right place at the right time.

crap freakboy
Dec 4, 2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Billy boy won! :(

ahhh but we know otherwise dont we? :D

MacsRgr8
Dec 4, 2003, 04:30 PM
BBC quote: "Steve Jobs and Apple:
Elegant, beautiful, easy to use...."

BUT BILL WON !!!!! :( :mad:

Please vote! Here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldsmostpowerful

hardon
Dec 4, 2003, 04:31 PM
well, Gates won.. but we can all give our opinion on that result!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/worlds_most_powerful/default.stm

m4rc
Dec 4, 2003, 04:31 PM
I think Gates came out as rich, everywhere, but dosn't really do much! Jobs was portrayed as a real visionary, was credited with starting the computer revolution - if it wasn't for Apple, IBM would not have rushed into the PC market guns blazing. And Jobs came out the good guy, they made a lot out of the antitrust stuff.

Marc

captain kirk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:32 PM
Well according to the bbc Bill Gates is the worlds most powerful computer mogul. I guess we can't argue too much with that although as a backhanded compliment the program was edited with Final Cut Pro! The image of Wozniak on his segway was worth the license fee alone!!! At least they gave MS a pasting for it's monopolistic practices

caveman_uk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:33 PM
John Sculley made an interesting comment about Jobs being the industries right brain and Gates the left. Whilst an over simplification it's probably true. Jobs is the innovator who spot niches before other people. Gates spots other peoples niches and steals them through brute force.

EDIT: for typo

CrackedButter
Dec 4, 2003, 04:33 PM
What a pile of rubbish.

But they did point out the monopoly MS has, but when that guy said "Lets make Bill the Calvin Klein of software"...urgh!

You could tell this programme is for the simpletons out there...it even portrays MS and a good thing...briefly discusses how they are detrimental to the industry.

No surprise who won then?

But i was surprise they mentioned Pixar, but i knew they wouldn't discuss his other company Next but i did expect more information about the products he was selling like the original imac and the ipod.

Glad i get my history lessons from a non diluted source...

Foocha
Dec 4, 2003, 04:35 PM
That was one of the most ludicrous programmes I've ever seen on the BBC, and they've produced some pretty ropey shows in their time.

If commercial clout was the only criteria upon which "Power" was to be judged, then the result was surely a foregone conclusion - hardly on the edge of the seat stuff.

The scope of the show was way too broad for 45 minutes of television. If Gates and Jobs ever see this show, they'll laugh long and hard - not least about Gate's knitwear.

edesignuk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
Try to remember though, this was about who is most powerful, there is no doubt in my mind that Bill Gates if far more poweful than Steve Jobs, there's just no denying it, you may not like it, but it is a fact.

edit: typo

skunk
Currently the votes on the BBC site are running about 64%-36% in SJ's favour.

caveman_uk
Is it me or is Alvin Hall camper than a pantomime dame?

edesignuk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
...it's not you...

iJed
Dec 4, 2003, 04:38 PM
I was not surprised that Gates won this. He is definitely the more powerful of the two due to his software being installed on ~95% of the worlds desktops.

The presenter did point out though that Jobs was the one who created the industry in the first place and that his products are far more innovative and cutting edge.

jrober
Dec 4, 2003, 04:39 PM
I've voted have you... go on you know how to vote.

Overall good program, balanced I thought. Items like comparing how they dealt with setbacks and rose from them was a good way to assess power.

A pity Bill won, but the assessment was on was Power, Steve won in the following other categories, Innovation, Design Leadership, Accessible Technology etc. Anyone know when these are being filmed?

Finally I wonder how many MS fans were watching rooting for Bill?

Fast Eddie
Dec 4, 2003, 04:39 PM
Gates won, by a whisker. The judge decided that though Jobs was ahead on innovation (of course) and on sheer determination (coming back to Apple), Gates had software that is everywhere. And in power terms, everywhere is what counts (apparently). Next week, it's Tiger Woods v David Beckham. That says something about the artificiality of assessing 'who is the most powerful'. You can cast your vote by visiting <www.bbc.co.uk/worldsmostpowerful> I guess I know which way I'll vote - and it won't be for Gates ;)

CrackedButter
Dec 4, 2003, 04:40 PM
Thats what i thought and plus it felt weird having an american host this show while US audiences couldn't watch it.

Alvin Hall: So i am doing this programme about 2 powerful computer mogels who shaped the world with affecting everything on the planet.

Executive: Yeah.

Alvin Hall: What networks are running this?

Executive: The BBC

Alvin Hall: You mean that dinky little country? Any other country to watch this important show?

Executive: Yes to first, no to second.

John61254
Part of the promo for the show reads as follows:

"Alvin (the host) also discovers how the young Steve Jobs used to try and intimidate potential employees by being barefoot with his feet on the table during interviews."

I wonder if he was also wearing a black turtleneck!:D

loneAzdgari
Yea, old billy won. But post your thoughts about Steve v Bill.

It wasn't really detailed enough to show a good result. The only good parts were the interview with Sculley and Wosniac.

m4rc
Dec 4, 2003, 04:42 PM

Camper than that! It's when he laughs at someones answer and goes to vocal levels only dogs can hear that gets me.

The programme was too broad - too much to cover in 40 minutes, but it was just a bit of fun. After all, next week we have Tiger Woods vs David Beckham, and after that we get Oprah Winfrey vs Madonna!

Marc

Matty P
Dec 4, 2003, 04:43 PM
The first 15-20 mins of the prog was ok but then it rushed to get to the end. It left out loads of information about both men, but did manage to show what an evil man Gates is.:eek:

macFanDave
defined as financial or political, the show would be pointless.

Microsoft was found guilty of anti-trust violations when prosecuted by Clinton's DOJ, yet when the new regime seized power, the punishment phase has quietly fallen off the radar screen. That's some powerful political influence there!

However, if the show is about creative and intellectual power, the show could be quite interesting. However, as a Mac fan who has been observing this business for about 20 years, I think the show is pointless: Jobs mops the floor with Gates.

What Gates has pioneered is the licensing model for software and crappy customer service and technical support. With its numerically dominant position, Microsoft has set the tone for most of the rest of the industry on those counts and it has been for the worse for the consumer.

I had the pleasure of hearing Steve Wozniak speak a few weeks ago. When asked about Apple's place in the world, he said something like: sure, a few lawsuits went against Apple, but other than that, the whole world uses Macs. When was the last time you saw someone using DOS?

almook
at the moment (22.42)GMT it is:

Spawn of Satan 33%

Steve Jobs 67%

iJed
Dec 4, 2003, 04:44 PM
They also completely failed to mention NeXT. NeXTStep is one of the most influential systems in computing history and it was one of the things that allowed Apple to survive. There is simply no way that they should have missed this out.

captain kirk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by skunk
Currently the votes on the BBC site are running about 64%-36% in SJ's favour.

Now up to 70% jobs 30% gates:cool:

edesignuk
Dec 4, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by marccarter
and after that we get Oprah Winfrey vs Madonna!

Marc
That one's been and gone, it was on last week, can't remember who won though!

Hobbes
Dec 4, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
Thats what i thought and plus it felt weird having an american host this show while US audiences couldn't watch it.

why is that weird?

AmigoMac
Dec 4, 2003, 04:47 PM
Ohh god, I've had fun eating cookies while looking at the results...:D ;)

I really like apples, they are healthy :)

Jack White
Dec 4, 2003, 04:48 PM
bbc america doesn't show the same thing as bbc1 or 2....eastenders is 2 weeks late!!

m4rc
Dec 4, 2003, 04:49 PM
Just a thought, don't go throwing rocks if you dont' like it!

Comparing the 2 of them to find the m ost powerful, isnt it a little like comparing Ford with Ferrari?

Nobody can question the amount of cars Ford pump out, and they do a good job. Ferrari make and sell less, but what cars! Ferrari has a name everyone associates with quality, Ford with mass market. And probably more Ferrari posters on bedroom walls than Fords!

johnhood
Dec 4, 2003, 04:55 PM
Just viewed the 'outcome' of the Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs battle!

BG was considered the overall winner based on the omnipresence of his products. However, the 'influence' is that of Jobs, Woz, Raskin and the think tank at Zerox PARC!

IMHO Steve is the winner! And the iPod is Apple's future.

For further details, please visit:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/worlds_most_powerful/default.stm

--
http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood

Wes
Dec 4, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jrober
Anyone know when these are being filmed?

Not too recently, Alvin was playing with a 2G iPod and and looking at Jaguar boxes.

CrackedButter
Dec 4, 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Hobbes
why is that weird?

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, before i watched this programme i havn't watched TV for like 5 months...so i'm not "with it" with what is "accepted".

But i mean come on... a Camp afro-american male hosting a show about computer mogals...if that doesn't break stereotypcial boundaries i don't know what does!

Anyway... back to NOT watching TV again.

Heltik
Dec 4, 2003, 05:02 PM
Gates may be the emperor of the biggest empire, but it is a crumbling empire, so what power does he still retain to influence the world?

CrackedButter
Dec 4, 2003, 05:06 PM
Also you have to ask what else is there for MS to do to generate revenue? They are like a sponge that has soaked up all the water.

Apple has a huge potential market out there... they havn't even hit market saturation yet.

Hobbes
Dec 4, 2003, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, before i watched this programme i havn't watched TV for like 5 months...so i'm not "with it" with what is "accepted".

But i mean come on... a Camp afro-american male hosting a show about computer mogals...if that doesn't break stereotypcial boundaries i don't know what does!

Anyway... back to NOT watching TV again.

haha! Good call..

Java
Dec 4, 2003, 05:35 PM
You never know. Maybe Gates paid Alan or the BBC to swing it to his favor. It worked for the justice department.

edit: typo

lucab1982
Dec 4, 2003, 05:38 PM
:mad:
Missed the show, was at the pub! Am trying to find if they are repeating it on Sky Digital somewhere.

Anyone in the UK noticed repeats?

Blackstealth
Dec 4, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by lucab1982

Missed the show, was at the pub!

Same here, I knew there was something I wanted to watch tonight. Ah well, beer more than makes up for missed television...

flashfil
Dec 4, 2003, 06:21 PM
Basically Gates' ass was licked a good few times with his secretary's operating system - then they showed him out to be the absolute vile thief that he is. Of course he's more powerful, thats silly to suggest otherwise - but it was more like a show of good against evil - Jobsy came out looking good, an innovator who can't ever be knocked back and bought us life changing products.

Entertaining even if I did have to look at Gates face for longer than I normally choose too.

FosterKanig
Dec 4, 2003, 06:30 PM
Lord of all that is Good: 77%

Demon Spawn: 23%

lindmar
Dec 4, 2003, 06:57 PM
Anyone know if there is a copy of this around on the net?
Or, does anyone know if Direct Tv will show this tongiht?

fatbarstard
Dec 4, 2003, 06:59 PM
Didn't see it - on the other side of the world - predictable outcome...

But what if the question had been: "who has been the most influential in their industry?"

Well the debate will rage for hours, weeks, months even....

Like Snagglepuss, exits, stage right....

flashfil
Dec 4, 2003, 07:11 PM
Most influential has got to be Jobs - he influenced 90% of what windows does so badly - be windows.

That and the fact he's head of PIXAR too - and they made Toy Story - Gates couldnt even begin to do anything like that (unless he stole it and ran about saying it was his - like everthing else)

without wishing to sound like a fanatic I would sum the whole thing up by saying that Bill Gates is satans spawn who rapes and pilages the world with his filth and Jobsy is the son of God and has finally come back to save us (well entertain us anyway)

hob
Dec 4, 2003, 07:35 PM
The one day I don't bother to check the frontpage in the morning and there's something UK based!! ARGH! Anyone know of a repeat??

Hob

billyboy
Dec 4, 2003, 08:24 PM
Alvin the financial guru made his millions on MS stock, just for a bit of background.

If you want to learn about a subject dont expect the TV to be your all knowing source of info. As an exercise write down the salient facts in a 30 minute documentary and you will realise that there is hardly anything said. Hence with this programme, the massive gaps in history, massive gaps in detail, and long camera shots of Alvin guffawing in his own inimitable way.

mvc
Dec 4, 2003, 08:38 PM
Yes, Bill and his many unthinking followers are powerful, like a plague of locusts is powerful, or rather, a plague of lemmings.

Fukui
Dec 4, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by iJed
They also completely failed to mention NeXT. NeXTStep is one of the most influential systems in computing history and it was one of the things that allowed Apple to survive. There is simply no way that they should have missed this out.
Not to mention that it was NeXTSTEP that was home to the first web server, and the first web browser...also carmack created Quake on NeXTSTEP....oh well....again....

What do you expect. :confused:

Squire
Dec 4, 2003, 11:15 PM
It seems that most of the people who followed this broadcast were Steve fans. It's 21% to 79% in the poll.

Squire

Here are the posted comments from the BBC site:

Steve Jobs is more powerful!
Arthur, Aylmer Canada

Bill Gates is a follower, a copier. Steve is a leader and makes the most wonderful products.
Yann, Montreal, Canada

Gates is a world class salesman. Nobody else could sell an inferior product to the world and then sell the upgrades that supposedly correct the flaws.

Steve Jobs breaks the molds and creates products and technology that change the way people live their lives.

Steve jobs is changing the world. Bill Gates is selling software.David, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA

Power is about passion not money.
Euan Semple, United Kingdom

I must agree.. Bill Gates is more powerful than Steve Jobs - but I prefer Mac to Windows.
AJ, Manchester

Agree, but disappointed no mention was made of Linus Torvalds or Linux.
Adam Sweet, Wolverhampton

I dont see how you could do this program and not consider Larry Ellison of Oracle. Love him or loathe him, his software powers most of the biggest US and UK corporations.
Tom Armstrong, Leeds

In my opinion, Steve Jobs is far more powerful than Bill Gates as whatever Apple does, Microsoft follows. Alvin appeared to leave quite a lot of background information out which in my opinion is pertinent to this issue.
Rebecca Sutcliffe, Lancaster

Although I much prefer Apple to Microsoft, it has to be Bill Gates who is the most powerful. Microsoft products are everywhere: schools, business, homes and even hosting web-sites - there's no escaping it.
Adam, Consett, UK

Jobs' innovation is followed by the world of computing and Windows sucks. I can't believe you left out that "arn" guy from MacRumors.com. He's right up there, too.
Squire, Korea

<Note: The last one's not really on their site. ;)>

kherdin
Dec 4, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by NusuniAdmin
If they are doing it by strength then Jobs would kill gates. Gates is a little weakling, at least during keynotes u can tell Jobs has some muscels.

Heh, Gates might be a weakling, but he is not little. Few people know this, but Bill is 6 feet 6 inches tall!

Fukui
Dec 5, 2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by kherdin
Heh, Gates might be a weakling, but he is not little. Few people know this, but Bill is 6 feet 6 inches tall!
With or without the humpback?

MrMickS
Dec 5, 2003, 02:00 AM
I saw the programme. It was a well balanced look at Gates and Jobs and did a good job of pointing out what made each man and the difference between us.

The conclusion was correct based on the question being asked, "Who is the most powerful?". Without doubt Gates has more power than Jobs. In terms of influencing the direction of personal computing though Jobs clearly came out on top.

Sabenth
Dec 5, 2003, 02:14 AM
Well i hate to say it but bill is the one who would win out right.

Not because of looks or mind bending powers but because of that cheque book ..

We all knew this come on jobs is as much a jerk as Bill but one thing sets them apart jobs sees things and bill dosnt till its to late IE Anyone...

method
Dec 5, 2003, 04:13 AM
Just to prove how bad a choice John Sculley was as CEO of Apple, he doesn't even know that Steve Jobs is left brained (creative) not right brained!!!!

Best moment - clips of Gates's testimony where he says, "I don't know what you mean by 'ask'."

Other than that the programme was awful, the presenter was truly rubbish.

The whole story of the birth of the personal computer industry is more fascinating than this programme could begin to conceive of!

davesag
Dec 5, 2003, 06:31 AM
I'm going to watch it but i expect a biased or misinformed account of the two.

However it is the BBC and i have some hope anyway.

That the BBC is unbiased is one of its greatest myths. See this excellent article (http://www.antiwar.com/orig/pilger3.html) by award winning Journalist John Pilger.

whooleytoo
Dec 5, 2003, 06:43 AM
(Just to prove my nerdiness) I cryed when they showed the launch of the Mac in 1984! Whatever about Macworld keynotes, that was something else..

flashfil
Dec 5, 2003, 07:15 AM
Let face it - Jobsy could punch Bill Gates jaw loose in a bare knuckle fight. Now that would be a real TV program!!

jayscheuerle
Dec 5, 2003, 07:49 AM

My sources list him as an average 5'10".

Where have you heard otherwise?

jayscheuerle
Dec 5, 2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
My sources (http://www.celebrity-fansites.com/celebrity_links/bill_gates.html) list him as an average 5'10".

Where have you heard otherwise?

whooleytoo
Dec 5, 2003, 07:54 AM

No, that was just the Bill Gates Demo.

Bill Gates 1.0 is only 4' 6"! :D

jayscheuerle
Dec 5, 2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by whooleytoo
No, that was just the Bill Gates Demo.

Bill Gates 1.0 is only 4' 6"! :D

Sounds like a troll to me...

macMaestro
Dec 5, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by whooleytoo
(Just to prove my nerdiness) I cryed when they showed the launch of the Mac in 1984! Whatever about Macworld keynotes, that was something else..

20th aniversary of that's coming up. Maybe we'll get some flashbacks?

Maybe we'll get an announcement of equal impact to 1984? :)

whooleytoo
Dec 5, 2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by macMaestro
20th aniversary of that's coming up. Maybe we'll get some flashbacks?

Maybe we'll get an announcement of equal impact to 1984? :)

IMO, the only announcement since which has come close was the iMac. It'd be wonderful to think (though hard to believe) there's something like that waiting in the wings.

Still, I'd be surprised if Steve didn't make some reference to it, or take a look back at the last 20 years.

k2k koos
Dec 5, 2003, 08:41 AM
Typical , but not surprising, Alvin (the presenter) is just as misled as the general public. And the general public still thinks size matters, money matters. Hence Bill Gates won.
it does to a certain degree, but power to me is if you are able to make a difference, make a change happen, that is something Steve Jobs is much better at.
And therefore he is more powerful, he MAKES a difference HAPPEN.
Bill just copies..

Oh online voters score stands at:

22% Bill Gates
78% Steve Jobs

Mac users unite!!! ha ha ha

supertex
Dec 5, 2003, 11:30 AM
If you ask me, I'll take Steve Jobs' army of fanatics over Bill Gates' army of conscripts any day and twice on Sundays, go Steve!

redeye
Dec 5, 2003, 11:43 AM
if it puts gates in flattering light, he's bankrolling the show.
He's nothing more than a black hole in the industry.

danieluk
Dec 5, 2003, 07:20 PM

janey
Dec 5, 2003, 10:11 PM
GO STEVE!!!
he's up to 80% right now...
and more widespread != bigger impact/more powerful.
i am unhappy that the host dude decided that gates was more powerful...
what, did he base his conclusion on faulty opinions and data?
/me shrugs.
Life sucks for Mac users nowadays...
btw daniekuk thanks for seeding :)
i d/l'd it and finished watching it a few minutes ago

Sunrunner
Dec 6, 2003, 05:34 AM
I like SiliconAddicts "smackdown" idea... Jobs would mop the floor with Gates. Now THAT would be worth pay-per-view...:D

edesignuk
Dec 6, 2003, 05:55 AM
--> http://mac.torrentskickass.com <--

;)

Sunrunner
Dec 6, 2003, 06:11 AM
I must humbly mention that I think such links are better left off of such a reputable *cough* forum...;)

k2k koos
Dec 6, 2003, 03:24 PM
The score today:

Steve 81%
Bill 19%

, Alvin, do your homework, and try again, ...
Oh viewers comments are an interesting read too....