Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amutty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I have been using my Lecia D-Lux 3 for a year now. Always turned off and on when USB cord was properly attached. I recently downloaded some images to my Grand Parents computer. Now I have a "Memory Card Error", "Please check the card" message that comes up every time I turn on the camera. I am unable to use the camera with this message on the LCD.

Note: I use a "apple" and they have a "dell / pc".

Is this an issue where the card has become corrupted by the PC... is there a way to change this and fix the card?

Stumped.

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
If you don't care about any pictures on the card, you could try formatting it using the camera menu. If the camera won't even do that, you could try formatting it to FAT in Windows.

ertemplin

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Go to Applications-Utilities-Disk Utility and hopefully you'll see your sd card in there. Then just format it to whatever format seems best.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you reformat it with a computer, chances are the camera will no longer be able to read it. Cameras usually format cards to FAT16 or FAT32, so Apple HFS+ will not work.

Rule of thumb is never format a flash card in a computer, only in the camera.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
With older cameras, sometimes you need to format a large capacity card in a computer because the camera is able to use it, but not format at that size.

mickthompson

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
I had the exactly the same problem.
My Canon Ixus one could not read the memory card and it start displaying "memory error".
Also my pc (I tried Windows and Linux too) could not recognize/see the SSD card anymore :(
Software was useless since I had no way to access my card from the OS.
I was basically lost, then I found this website http://recoverfab.com
What is broken in this case is the Controller which is in the SSD card. They have special memory reader so they can extract the chip and in most of the cases recover all your pictures, videos etc.
I gave a try and they were able to recover all my stuff.
I'm so happy now I have all the picture from the wedding of my aunt, and all my holiday pictures back!
I could not find any service better like this. In US for the same service they charge you more than 1000 Dollars so I would say prices are also very good.

Afterthecalm

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Your reply sounds like spam.. who revives a 3 year old thread? I always make the mistake of opening up a thread just to find that its usually 2 to 3 years old.
Let old threads die

end rant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.