PDA

View Full Version : Coke to Launch Music Service


MacRumors
Dec 8, 2003, 09:55 AM
Guardian Unlimited (http://media.guardian.co.uk/newmedia/story/0,7496,1102525,00.html) reports that Coke will be launching its own music download service in the UK.

The site, MyCokeMusic.com, will launch in January next year offering a catalogue of over 250,000 new and recent hits from more than 8,500 artists with all four major record labels represented.

As previously reported, Pepsi and Apple (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031016151548.shtml) are teamed up to give away 100 Million iTunes Music Store songs starting in February 2004.

jxyama
Dec 8, 2003, 09:59 AM
my goodness, anyone heard of market saturation?? yeah, it's in the UK, but...

:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

coke has absolutely no experience in doing this. (or anything technical...)

it'll be interesting...

ShadowHunter
Dec 8, 2003, 10:00 AM
More future iTunes converts, ahoy!!!!!!!!!

DGFan
Dec 8, 2003, 10:05 AM
This reminds me of during the internet bubble when everyone and their mother was opening or buying an internet portal. Of course, most of those ended up on f*ckedcompany.

caveman_uk
Dec 8, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ShadowHunter
More future iTunes converts, ahoy!!!!!!!!!
Only if and when Apple realises the world outside the borders of the USA actually exists....

AirUncleP
Dec 8, 2003, 10:07 AM
Join the party Coke. Just let me know where and how I can get free promotional song dowloads.

the_mole1314
Dec 8, 2003, 10:08 AM
I'm wondering if the service will use WMA or AAC...

Photorun
Dec 8, 2003, 10:13 AM
And just like everything Coke (speaking as an ex-Coke employee) I'm sure it'll suck donkey doo. If it's proprietary and/or whatever marketing smaltz they'll shovel like bile to the masses (not unlike their drinks) I'm sure it'll be bland, devoid of flavor, and will rot the teeth out of your head.

Also I suggested a story but either the editors here don't like me or it was posted already and I miraculously didn't see it, which is that Earthlink too has gotten into the music download game too (go to earthlink.net to see for yourself, it's powered by musicmatch I found out). So basically it seems there's more companies in the music download biz now than NOT in it. Morons, all of them, except Apple iTunes of course.

ITR 81
Dec 8, 2003, 10:16 AM
Coke already has Coke Music in the US so this isn't a big deal. Also where does Coke Music get it's Music?? From AOL of course and where does AOL get it's music from? Why via iTunes Music Store of course.

Will the UK Coke Music site work the same? Probably so and if this isn't an indication I don't know what is. iTunes Music Store for the UK in Jan.

US site: cokemusic.com

dmealiffe
Dec 8, 2003, 10:22 AM
Does anyone else find the url www.mycokemusic.com incredibly funny?

mainstreetmark
Dec 8, 2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Only if and when Apple realises the world outside the borders of the USA actually exists....

Don't make me bust out "It's the Lawyers fault, not Apple" speech again...

MCCFR
Dec 8, 2003, 10:23 AM
Actually, this is nothing more than a Coke storefront for yet another instance of the Peter Gabriel-owned OD2 content/infrastructure service, like Freeserve, MSN et al.

The good news for Apple zealots is it will be WMA only, and the bad news for everyone else is that it will be WMA only.

freddiecable
Dec 8, 2003, 10:23 AM
in Coke selling songs on the internet!? it's just plain stupid I think!

I can understand apple and pepsi co-marketing their effort...but being a single player like coke with no previous e-business...and so forth...maybe they'll announce co-marketing with M$. then I would stop drinkin coke ;)

Kid Red
Dec 8, 2003, 10:25 AM
In the latest news-

CNN, International House Of Pancakes and Boeing have all announced they too will enter the the new trend and launch their own online music services.

ITR 81
Dec 8, 2003, 10:30 AM
MyCoke.com
From the US pulls songs from:
http://cokemusic.com/downloads/images/aol_logo.gif

So yes, MyCoke Music gets it's songs via AOLMusic which in turn get them from iTunes Music Store.

jrv3034
Dec 8, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red
In the latest news-

CNN, International House Of Pancakes and Boeing have all announced they too will enter the the new trend and launch their own online music services.

That was really funny!!!:D

AmigoMac
Dec 8, 2003, 10:31 AM
According to some last news, the XXXXX.com site will launch a music service for its members, more details soon... :rolleyes:

According to some reports, your mom, mine, his, her and their, are going to launch a music service...to be updated...

:mad: , I could see a lot of crappy music stores in europe before apple, just because those will be regional and will sell ***** to those who quality is not a factor...

macMaestro
Dec 8, 2003, 10:34 AM
We're delighted to bring downloadable music to more people and we are working in close partnership with the music industry to do so. Consumers have told us that downloading music is confusing and complicated and what they want is an easy, simple to use downloadable service from a trusted brand," said the company's marketing director, Julia Goldin.

OK...

Has anyone found the iTMS difficult to use (except for it not being located in other countries)?

And trusted brand? Maybe for beverages, but for music???

ITR 81
Dec 8, 2003, 10:34 AM
A iTunes Music Store for Europe will probably be annouced in Jan..because I doubt Apple would let anyone get the lead on them.

mainstreetmark
Dec 8, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
MyCoke.com
From the US pulls songs from:
http://cokemusic.com/downloads/images/aol_logo.gif

So yes, MyCoke Music gets it's songs via AOLMusic which in turn get them from iTunes Music Store.

...which is odd itself because of the whole Pepsi marketing thing. Is Apple getting it stuff sold through the big two soda makers?

Photorun
Dec 8, 2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red
In the latest news-

CNN, International House Of Pancakes and Boeing have all announced they too will enter the the new trend and launch their own online music services.

Cool! I love MP3s with my IHOP breakfast. Hope Boeing is allowing downloads while in-flight on their aircraft.

[cough]

ITR 81
Dec 8, 2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
...which is odd itself because of the whole Pepsi marketing thing. Is Apple getting it stuff sold through the big two soda makers?

Hey why not? Most folks that buy coke music think it's from AOLMusic. Most don't even know AOLMusic is connected at the hip with iTunes Music Store.

I guess in way AOLMusic is laundering iTunes Music as it's own to other businesses...because I don't believe CokeMusic.com is the only company they do business with.

Overall Apple is just plain making a killing of the market in the US. I figure it will do the same when it launches overseas. By then they should have 500+ tracks by then.

ddbean
Dec 8, 2003, 10:57 AM
Quote "Consumers have told us that downloading music is confusing and complicated and what they want is an easy, simple to use downloadable service from a trusted brand," said the company's marketing director, Julia Goldin."/quote

This just seems weird...how many consumers are talking to a soda maker about MUSIC downloads? I mean it's not even logical.

Go ITMS, now that's logical.

caveman_uk
Dec 8, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Don't make me bust out "It's the Lawyers fault, not Apple" speech again...
I was waiting for that but come on - SEVEN months! Jeez, you could buy a record company in less time than that.

mrsebastian
Dec 8, 2003, 10:59 AM
is it just me or does all this just make you want to say, what the f#@k! if the whole itunes/aol/coke chain is true, then why wouldn't coke just dump the middle man and go directly to apple?

~Shard~
Dec 8, 2003, 11:00 AM
Ok, this is just getting stupid now. What's another term for "extreme market saturization", because I think we need it here, fast...

ddbean
Dec 8, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by mrsebastian
is it just me or does all this just make you want to say, what the f#@k! if the whole itunes/aol/coke chain is true, then why wouldn't coke just dump the middle man and go directly to apple?

Because then they could be seen as providing an alternative ad campaign from the Pepsi/Apple one, since most non-Apple people don't know the AOL/ITMS connection.

AmigoMac
Dec 8, 2003, 11:17 AM
Kellogg's ?
HBO?
Fox?
Disney?
CNN?
Hanna-Barbera?
The white house?

Forrest Gump?


:mad:

SeaFox
Dec 8, 2003, 11:45 AM
Watch this turn out like Coke Voicemail (remember that?).

People will flock to the service like burnt-out Mountain Dew drinkers to Surge. After selling a load of songs and making no money (since Coke isn't selling a digital music player like Apple) Coke will end the service to please investors annoyed at the dividend drain and failure as a marketing tool the service will have been proved to be.

Users who have license problems, etc will find themselves up a creek after that.


OT Side note: Saturday, my local grocery store had a Coke sale for one day only. Two liter bottles for only 50¢. :D

the_mole1314
Dec 8, 2003, 11:56 AM
People will realize that it's not just the fad music that they want, but selection. If Sony only sells their tracks, Disney only theirs, they won't go to them. They'll go on over to Napster, iTMS, etc.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 8, 2003, 12:08 PM
Ok I think that is 14 stores! I cannot wait until we see news of all of these failing.

Lord Bodak
Dec 8, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ddbean
Quote "Consumers have told us that downloading music is confusing and complicated and what they want is an easy, simple to use downloadable service from a trusted brand," said the company's marketing director, Julia Goldin."/quote

This just seems weird...how many consumers are talking to a soda maker about MUSIC downloads? I mean it's not even logical.

Very good question. Do people think "hey, downloading music is hard, let me call Coke and ask them to make it easier!"? It just makes no sense.

whfsdude
Dec 8, 2003, 12:58 PM
Is Coke's going to be a year round thing?

Because if so it would force Pepsi to continue with the iTMS thing so we could drink more soda and get fat and download music.

Now all we need is McDonalds to do it :)

FosterKanig
Dec 8, 2003, 01:25 PM
Pretty soon there will be more online music stores than Linux distros.

Well, maybe not.

billyboy
Dec 8, 2003, 01:29 PM
Can't Apple just turn out new skins of the music Store for affiliate retailers and charge the wannabe stores a few cents a download to cover development costs.

I was a bit surprised to see Coke tracks at 99p and hope Apple arent planning on charging that per track. When Amazon are selling whole albums on real life CDs for 8.49, iTMS for Britain would just be a place to review music before one clicking the original one click store.

McToast
Dec 8, 2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Join the party Coke. Just let me know where and how I can get free promotional song dowloads.

AirUncleP I just sent you a private message!

ddbean
Dec 8, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81


US site: cokemusic.com

Is it just me or is that US Coke Music site just awful in design and graphics?

Ja Di ksw
Dec 8, 2003, 02:28 PM
this has honestly gone way, way to far.

ghotirsd
Dec 8, 2003, 02:58 PM
MyCokeMusic was usually Roger Waters, Lords of Acid or Led Zepplin.
MyMethMusic was RacerX, Cacophony.

Thankyou, I'll be here all week.
Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

Winston Smith
Dec 8, 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by McToast
AirUncleP I just sent you a private message!

Relevant to the last post I've heard Coke will be promoting Coke in the UK with free Music downloads around Easter (I think).

Didn't Steve J recruit John Sculley by asking if he wanted to sell Fizzy pop for the rest of his life or put the Mac at the forefront of the 'PC' industry.

I hope those words don't haunt him.

iPC
Dec 8, 2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
And just like everything Coke (speaking as an ex-Coke employee) I'm sure it'll suck donkey doo. If it's proprietary and/or whatever marketing smaltz they'll shovel like bile to the masses (not unlike their drinks) I'm sure it'll be bland, devoid of flavor, and will rot the teeth out of your head.

Also I suggested a story but either the editors here don't like me or it was posted already and I miraculously didn't see it, which is that Earthlink too has gotten into the music download game too (go to earthlink.net to see for yourself, it's powered by musicmatch I found out). So basically it seems there's more companies in the music download biz now than NOT in it. Morons, all of them, except Apple iTunes of course.
Might have something to do with your tone.... I could feel you looking down your nose at us.

www.cokemusic.com

Not to surprising that they took the next step.

And why is Apple's service sooo much better than everything else? Have you used them all? Details...

Wash!!
Dec 8, 2003, 04:00 PM
I'm opening my own music download service it will be power my buy newton 130 and my ipod more info to come...;)

Edward Mackleby
Dec 8, 2003, 04:23 PM
More future iTunes converts, ahoy!!!!!!!!!

Only if and when Apple realises the world outside the borders of the USA actually exists....

You know, I'm getting pretty sick of reading asinine statements such as this one. When an American company releases a product at home first, they're accused of ignorantly ignoring the rest of the world. When an American company releases a product to other countries, they're accused of flooding the world with their Americanized, consumer-driven capitalist trash. People often complain about the flood of McDonald's and Starbucks, but if there were no Micky D's or coffee shops around the world, we'd be known as selfish Americans for not sharing with the rest of the world, right? Why don't some of you learn how a company works, OK? You will all have your iTunes in time. Stop whining.

question fear
Dec 8, 2003, 04:56 PM
One thing that strikes me is how fast market saturation is happening in the downloadable music market...up until the past month or so I saw no real end to cds for quite a long while (working in a retail store that sells cds, as well as dvds, I keep up on the multimedia markets); penetration of broadband is not high enough to support the new standard. However, with the big push, even after some of these places go bust, theres still a download infrastructure in place, so I would have to say that even if they are an abismal failure coke is doing some good to a struggling industry.

-carly

skunk
Dec 8, 2003, 05:00 PM
How is it that Apple had to get the agreement of "all five major labels" whereas Coke only needed the agreement of "all four labels"? Who died?

e-coli
Dec 8, 2003, 06:41 PM
3 Cheers for corporate rock!

Hip Hip GIVE ME A BREEEEEAAAAAKKKK!!!!

:rolleyes:

ceriess
Dec 8, 2003, 08:49 PM
Another hideous mis-step by greedy Coke executives. What's wrong with being the number one soft drink maker in the world? They should just put pictures of swim suit models on the cans if they want to make more money. Imagine them all wet. In your hand. Oh God.

~Shard~
Dec 8, 2003, 11:24 PM
Does a post still count if you don't say anything in it? Because that was my first impulse to properly convey my initial impression after reading this. Just type a speechless e-mail, because what can you say about this? This has gone way too far and is just getting beyond silly now. I'm speechless! (Well, not quite I guess...)

Squire
Dec 9, 2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Edward Mackleby
You know, I'm getting pretty sick of reading asinine statements such as this one. When an American company releases a product at home first, they're accused of ignorantly ignoring the rest of the world. When an American company releases a product to other countries, they're accused of flooding the world with their Americanized, consumer-driven capitalist trash. People often complain about the flood of McDonald's and Starbucks, but if there were no Micky D's or coffee shops around the world, we'd be known as selfish Americans for not sharing with the rest of the world, right? Why don't some of you learn how a company works, OK? You will all have your iTunes in time. Stop whining.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to see the larger, truer picture.

I can't speak for all international Mac users but from what I've read in these forums, iTMS is one of several features that has yet to break out of the US borders. People also have voiced their disapproval over Sherlock and the iPhoto printing service. (Perhaps these concerns have already been addressed in other countries.) The fact is that many people in other countries pay as much or more for their Mac yet they have access to fewer features and/or services. It's like McDonald's charging 10% more for a Big Mac with only one patty or Starbucks making you pay extra for cream and sugar.

Personally, the lack of services doesn't bother me a whole lot. However, I think users in other countries are justified in voicing their opinions.

Squire

P.S. Speaking of being justified...Shard, that blank post would have been completely justified. ;)

yakirz
Dec 9, 2003, 07:29 AM
The Clorox Music Store?

billyboy
Dec 9, 2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Edward Mackleby
More future iTunes converts, ahoy!!!!!!!!!

Only if and when Apple realises the world outside the borders of the USA actually exists....

You know, I'm getting pretty sick of reading asinine statements such as this one. When an American company releases a product at home first, they're accused of ignorantly ignoring the rest of the world. When an American company releases a product to other countries, they're accused of flooding the world with their Americanized, consumer-driven capitalist trash. People often complain about the flood of McDonald's and Starbucks, but if there were no Micky D's or coffee shops around the world, we'd be known as selfish Americans for not sharing with the rest of the world, right? Why don't some of you learn how a company works, OK? You will all have your iTunes in time. Stop whining.

Apple seems to be a commendable example of the best of American companies, but I wish you guys had been selfish about MacDonalds and Starbucks.

When iTunes is shown to be responsible for deforestation and undermining whole south american agro-economies then I'll drop out the disgruntled international band of neglected Apple customers nagging for the chance to pay good money for some music.

iPC
Dec 9, 2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
Apple seems to be a commendable example of the best of American companies, but I wish you guys had been selfish about MacDonalds and Starbucks.

When iTunes is shown to be responsible for deforestation and undermining whole south american agro-economies then I'll drop out the disgruntled international band of neglected Apple customers nagging for the chance to pay good money for some music.
You want to take a closer look at the corporate policies Apple has chosen to follow in the last ten years? "Clone Wars" indeed....

~Shard~
Dec 9, 2003, 09:51 AM
I find the announcements of all these new stores to be very amusing. Some competition is good, but there appears to be market saturation now with all these new companies announcing their plans. However, I think it will be great for Apple. First of all, competition is good in general – it makes a company better. But also, all these online music stores are going to make more and more people aware of the “online music store experience” in general, they will bring more interested consumers into the market. And since consumers will no doubt shop around, this means extra attention for Apple’s ITMS, and perhaps Apple in general. Plus, I think when people try these other stores, and then try ITMS, there are going to be a lot of “switchers” to the ITMS. As well, it will reflect very well on Apple, the “pioneer” of this market, when a great number of these online stores fail, yet Apple will still be there, no matter what, and will have stood the test of time.

Oh, and I guess lastly, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

billyboy
Dec 9, 2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by iPC
You want to take a closer look at the corporate policies Apple has chosen to follow in the last ten years? "Clone Wars" indeed....

Qué?

~Shard~
Dec 9, 2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by iPC
You want to take a closer look at the corporate policies Apple has chosen to follow in the last ten years? "Clone Wars" indeed....

Could you please elaborate on this? And I am not challenging you at all, I am honestly interested, as I don't know too much regarding this subject.