PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hacking a PPC G5 to intel

fyrmedic
Jun 24, 2008, 01:07 PM
I am a victim of progress. I needed my Power pc G5 to complete a photography job and sure enough 3 months later....the switch to intel....I have heard rumors of people putting intel motherboards into their g5s....anybody else done or heard of this:confused:

Sun Baked
Jun 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
Lots of links to people putting the PC boards in the boxes and running Windows.

Though these days it is uprated to Hackintosh.

Want a Mac, then a Intel Mini should fit inside.

SpinThis!
Jun 24, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm assuming what you're referring to is a run-of-the-mill PC board in a G5 case. That's not much better than what pystar is doing... Even if you go with a genuine Mac Mini board, you're losing expansion slots, etc). You'd be better off keeping both machines if you bought a Mini.

The G5s are still selling for relatively high prices if you hit up eBay. Might be able to recoup a bit of your machine's original cost towards a new Intel Mac Pro.

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
Want a Mac, then a Intel Mini should fit inside.

That would be so cool. Would that really work?
Also, when you said the Mini should fit inside, I hope you mean taken apart and fit inside.

Eric Lewis
Jun 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
That would be so cool. Would that really work?
Also, when you said the Mini should fit inside, I hope you mean taken apart and fit inside.
no..the mini could be jammed in there hardcore

kabunaru
Jun 24, 2008, 06:36 PM
no..the mini could be jammed in there hardcore

Do you know anybody who has done this? I would sure like to see this in pictures. Thank you. :)

Firefly2002
Jun 24, 2008, 09:09 PM
Minis have been put in Cubes, but it's a horrific hackjob as you need to screw with the plastic and backplates to align the ports. That's fine if you're doing it in a beige tower, awful if you're doing it in an acrylic white plastic work of art like the cube. I don't think acrylic is the right word, but it's the first one that came to mind and I'm going to use it.

Anyway, I think he meant put an Intel MoBo in your G5 and then put all the G5 stuff in the Intel MoBo, which of course won't work. If he didn't mean that, I don't know why you'd place a whole Mac Pro in a G5 case instead of buying a new Mac Pro. It wouldn't be cheaper to do, it's a dumb idea, and it would be seriously difficult.

Stick with your G5, unless you actually need an upgrade. There's nothing wrong with it, and to be honest, unless you need OS 10.6 (hard to need something that's not out yet), I don't get why you'd need it.

As for Psystar... or whatever the name is.... it's just as genuine a Mac as a Mac Pro is. What the hell is the difference? You have an Intel processor with an Intel chipset and a PC motherboard. That's not a Mac, that's a PC. You get the same thing either way, more or less, just varied architectures (well, x86-64, same architecture, but different motherboards and specs)

fyrmedic
Jun 27, 2008, 08:53 PM
thanks for the input. I had heard of MoBo swaps for about fivehundy but had not talked to anybody REAL that had done it. not sure if it was worth a try to sniff around. trying to keep up with tech on a budge:o

almostinsane
Jun 29, 2008, 05:31 PM
One of the guys on the insanelymac forums did that (sort of). He purchased all of the Intel Mac parts and put it together. Cost a little more than buying new.