PDA

View Full Version : New iTunes music library site

mainstreetmark
Dec 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
Hey community -

Since my plans for spending Thanksgiving with my favorite girl got flushed down the toilet, I spent the major part of that holiday weekend creating some tools to analyze my iTunes playlist.

I eventually realized it would be neat to share these tools with the community, so I converted it to a website, added a few tools and a forum.

The site lets you upload your iTunes XML file, which then enables the site to graph your collection by various methods.

It's all quite new, but I thought I'd enlist you guys to help populate the song database a bit before i make a big announcement. It's hard to come up with really interesting reports when I'm only using my library. :)

http://www.itunesregistry.com

Rower_CPU
Dec 9, 2003, 10:14 PM
Interesting project. I don't maintain a huge library on my machines, but I uploaded a little just to check it out.

One thing I'd want to see is a better explanation of the diversity and uniqueness ratings and how you relate to others on the My Tracks page.

Nice work! :)

howard
Dec 9, 2003, 11:25 PM
wow thats really really cool!

i've posted on here numerous times that I LOVE STATS!!!

i loaded up mine, can't wait till the site gets up and running smoothly with more entries

COOL!!

Phatpat
Dec 9, 2003, 11:53 PM
truly phat site. Uploaded my music and it seems to be working great. I can't wait until it gets fleshed out a little more. Great idea!

mnkeybsness
Dec 10, 2003, 08:33 AM
i'm having a helluva time uploading my 12.7MB file to the server

trebblekicked
Dec 10, 2003, 09:43 AM
wow. so that's what they can do with the web nowadays:) nice job.
i got some errors trying to upload, but i've been having airport issues all week. i'll try again later. looks cool, though.

mainstreetmark
Dec 10, 2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys. I think I have the upload limit at 10M currently. I'll increase it. I guess I also better stick in some anti-hack stuff in there so some clown doesn't upload a script.

I'll get all these things worked out in a week, maybe. These are all growing pains from moving from my powerbook to my main server.

---

looks like i'm having a cookie problem again today. I use the Forum's cookie, which is all packed together in varying ways.

Have patience, and post in that forum. :)

Wardofsky
Dec 12, 2003, 04:21 AM
Very nice, this should be good for iTunes.
Maybe you could incorperate DailyTunes.com (http://www.dailytunes.com) linking to the iTMS.

mainstreetmark
Dec 12, 2003, 10:06 AM
We talked about that very thing last night.

Given a title/artist, I could (eventually) provide a ton of stats, such as how many people own it, it's average rating, how many times it has been played, etc...etc...

I think we've got a lot of the major bugs worked out and I'm anxious to get it posted on MacBytes or something.

mrjamin
Dec 21, 2003, 09:17 AM
i thought about making a site like this! bugger, someone beat me to it...

my iTunes library was 4mb :O

OutThere
Dec 24, 2003, 04:44 PM
Looks pretty cool....I'd be interested in seeing how popular it gets.