PDA

View Full Version : iApp Updates Coming: iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto and New App?

MacRumors
Dec 9, 2003, 02:36 PM
Reliable sources report that Mac users will be seeing iApp updates in the near future, possibly as early as MacWorld Expo in January 2004.

As rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031208120553.shtml), iMovie 3.5 is in the works, but will not bring major new features to the consumer DV application. Minor improvements and interface tweaks are instead expected.

Apple last updated iTunes to version 4.1 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031016143353.shtml) alongside the introduction of the Windows player. According to notes, we should see another iTunes 4 update with improvements related to Purchased Music, iPods and Music Store Availability.

iPhoto will also be seeing some improvements... with Apple finally adding support for Photo Albums and Photo Print services to "some" countries outside the United States.

Also near release is a completely new Application... no details yet available, but could also be introduced as early as the January MacWorld Expo.

AirUncleP
Dec 9, 2003, 02:42 PM
Continual Improvement. You have to like it. As for a new app.....My guess is iTracks. A scaled down version of Soundtrack.

jeremy.king
Dec 9, 2003, 02:43 PM
iOffice?

James.Paul
Dec 9, 2003, 02:44 PM
Look forward to the updates, has been 12 months since a major update with most of them. Would love to see iMovie become a movie management tool as well. Something like iTunes where you can store your movie files, browse the collection and then play, export etc. I hope that the new app will be a web publishing tool that can create basic web pages using images from iPhoto, sounds from iTunes etc.

mvc
Dec 9, 2003, 02:44 PM
iPhoto with multiple albums - oh pleeease yes. Anyone with young kids knows how BIG the iPhoto library can get! :p

MrMacMan
Dec 9, 2003, 02:51 PM
iWorks?

Appleworks == need of serious repair... they better be working on it... really.

Apple just needs to bring the 'all in one' into the Word Processor... like yesterday.

Dahl
Dec 9, 2003, 02:55 PM
Great to hear about the iPhoto updates, I would love some more options when you make a book though Kodak.

Kid Red
Dec 9, 2003, 02:56 PM
While iTrack may be cool and fun, I think the the iOffice/iWorks-complete overhaul of Appleworks adding KeyNote other features to create an Office alternative- makes more sense. It would be another reason to go mac, it would allow mac users to completely free them of M$ dependence. As well as make macs look like a 'total solution package'. No knock on M$, they just seem to make their software bigger then it needs to be, that's called, um, mm, bloat-ware? I think Apple could make a nice Appleworks type office app and would be a possible $49 paid iApp.

iTrack is just a fun tool for some, and would have to be free.

AmigoMac
Dec 9, 2003, 02:59 PM
I'm looking forward to use appleworks... I got it as a gift but has not been often used ... sometimes I go better to x11 and Openoffice.org ... a general check to the iapps is needed to celebrate the 20 years...

JohnGillilan
Dec 9, 2003, 03:06 PM
Throughout all the discussions of new iApps, I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about iDVD. Everytime I have used it for projects, it has been quite buggy. It takes forever to load and crashes frequently. I don't expect a new version in January, but a small update for better performance would be nice.

theFly
Dec 9, 2003, 03:06 PM
While I would love to a see an major upgrade to Appleworks, I have to wonder that if (as rumored), Microsoft will be introducing the next version of Office and VirtualPC during the keynote, that the likely hood of an Office app being introduced at the same time is slim to none.

How about a scaled down version of LiveType. Someone up there mentioned a scaled version of Soundtrack, but I'd think with iMovie, LiveType might be more useful.

theFly

JohnGillilan
Dec 9, 2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by theFly
While I would love to a see an major upgrade to Appleworks, I have to wonder that if (as rumored), Microsoft will be introducing the next version of Office and VirtualPC during the keynote, that the likely hood of an Office app being introduced at the same time is slim to none.

How about a scaled down version of LiveType. Someone up there mentioned a scaled version of Soundtrack, but I'd think with iMovie, LiveType might be more useful.

theFly

I agree completely. iMovie's titling abilities are undoubtedly it's weakest feature.

restiffbard
Dec 9, 2003, 03:11 PM
for the love of god give us an appleworks replacement. I use textedit rather than use appleworks.

does anyone else feel like appleworks doesn't even fit OS X? It just feels like the elephant in the middle of the room.

please Steve, please, an appleworks update.

geerlingguy
Dec 9, 2003, 03:14 PM
Two problems: iPhoto & iDVD.

Once Apple updates these two programs, paying $49 for the iLife package will be worth it...

iPhoto is SLOW :( (even on 1Ghz+ G4s - haven't tested on G5).

iDVD loads SLOW :( (but it is otherwise pretty good).

Once iPhoto is optimized to be able to hold more than 500 or so photos and run as fast as the Finder, or able to let me rotate a photo in less than 5 seconds, then I'll not have problems with it.

Apple: PLEASE make iPhoto FASTER! Thank you:confused:

sethypoo
Dec 9, 2003, 03:16 PM
It sure would be neat if the "new application" was a Apple word processor.

I hope.....

1macker1
Dec 9, 2003, 03:18 PM
Appleworks sucks. It needs to be updated, so i wont have to spend money with MS on office x
Originally posted by restiffbard
for the love of god give us an appleworks replacement. I use textedit rather than use appleworks.

does anyone else feel like appleworks doesn't even fit OS X? It just feels like the elephant in the middle of the room.

Bandit
Dec 9, 2003, 03:24 PM
How about RAW image support in iPhoto. And the ability to group albums together with expandable sub albums.

AmigoMac
Dec 9, 2003, 03:25 PM

Sure, it doesn't fit there... it doesn't look aqua, metal... whatever comes to apple... needs a big check... apple must work...

Sonofhaig
Dec 9, 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by mvc
iPhoto with multiple albums - oh pleeease yes. Anyone with young kids knows how BIG the iPhoto library can get! :p

I burn my entire album to CD at the end of every year and start fresh with the coming year..... it works for me.
The scary part is throwing away last years album. I always make sure the CD works ( and I usually make 2).

~Shard~
Dec 9, 2003, 03:28 PM
Hmm, new iApp? Can't wait to see what it is! The other updates will be great too! This is what I like - constant improvements and upgrades, and free to download with ease off the Apple site. The way it should be with everything!

geerlingguy
Dec 9, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
I burn my entire album to CD at the end of every year and start fresh with the coming year..... it works for me.
The scary part is throwing away last years album. I always make sure the CD works ( and I usually make 2).

You can do this, but if you need access to all of your pictures, no matter how old, at any time (like when you're doing videos and need certain clipart or photos), you don't want to have to put in each CD and open up the libraries until you find the right one (I tried this, but it just didn't work...

Apple needs to let us manage our pictures how we want, and do it faster! :)

supercres
Dec 9, 2003, 03:30 PM
(Crosses fingers)

Come on, prosumer audio recording and/or sequencing!

bankshot
Dec 9, 2003, 03:38 PM
For what it's worth, here's my wishlist (aka stuff that'll never be implemented because Apple likes to torment me): :p

iPhoto:
- Real support for uploading a web page to other services. All it really needs is a ftp username/password and iPhoto could do the rest. Would be great for my mom, who doesn't want to pay for .Mac but doesn't want the hassle of uploading stuff herself. Of course, this cuts into .Mac sales, so no way it'll happen!
- Yeah, it is a little slow
- Redeye improvements - it's nice when it works, but often it doesn't do such a stellar job.

iTunes/iPod:
- Ripping albums as a single file with a cue sheet to separate tracks. This solves the gap problem once and for all! Problem is, I don't think Apple cares. Or most users, for that matter.
- In conjunction, live albums and classical works need to be made available from iTMS as single files with cuesheets. Again, not gonna happen, but without this, the experience is simply not as good as a physical CD!
- Smart playlists should be able to use a song's existence in another named playlist as a criterion. This allows advanced users to make logically complex playlists without confusing the interface.
- There should be a preference for whether music played over rendezvous updates the play count and last played of the song. I sometimes play in other rooms this way, but then my play count is not really accurate. I like to see how many times I've played certain songs and build smart playlists based on that...

iMovie:
- Been awhile since I last used it, but I remember there were a bunch of little interface annoyances that I'd like to see improved. Stuff like importing a photo doesn't allow you to make a still clip of it -- instead it creates a movie with that stinking Ken Burns effect! Bunch of other little things... Any more real functionality and you might as well use FCE.

iDVD:
- I'd like a little more control, but I can't really complain now that we have chapter markers. That was the one thing that almost had me buying DVDSP for $1000, glad I didn't!

blufire
Dec 9, 2003, 03:56 PM
I agree with the iPhoto commentsó it DEFINITELY needs some major speed improvements. I've got well over 10,000 photos, and the only reason it's semi-usable is because I have a dual 1 GHz G4 (MDD), but even here it's crawling and can take 2-minute naps.. obviously it's partly due to the size of my library, but iPhoto has ALWAYS been extremely slow. It's a nice tool, but I wish it were faster. There are MANY very responsive and fast tools out there for managing photo libraries, and iPhoto would be among the best photo managers if it only had the speed. It's been a very long time since 1.0 came out, hopefully Apple will have worked something out soon!

jayscheuerle
Dec 9, 2003, 04:00 PM
iSlowto is BEGGING for an update.

The way it loads previews of EVERYTHING drags it waaaaayyy down. Time for a rethinking...

1macker1
Dec 9, 2003, 04:00 PM
How about a different naming convention. iThis, iThat..sheesh. I mean really, what type of genuis came of with this *****.

iMac, iPhoto,iTunes,iDVD,iPod,...

I can see the marketing team giving themselves a big pat on the back after those flashes of genius.

rjstanford
Dec 9, 2003, 04:06 PM
iWorks - no brainer, and the single biggest lack.

iDVD update - c'mon, how about supporting progressive scan? The current one really doesn't look very good, apologetists aside, when compared to the competition.

iPhoto - simply handling bigger albums would be good, although the idea of including RAW support would truly rock. Especially if/when I pick up that 300D for Christmas.

Just that would be fine by me.

-Richard

rikers_mailbox
Dec 9, 2003, 04:06 PM
Would iChat A/V for Windows be considered a "new" iApp?

You know they're gonna do it.

GregGomer
Dec 9, 2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Bandit
How about RAW image support in iPhoto. And the ability to group albums together with expandable sub albums.

The Exandable sub folders and Rendezvous photo sharing support are the two things I've been waiting for in iPhoto. Oh, and some kind of speed improvement. Maybe a view with a fixed thumbnail size. Sure you couldn't zoom in and out, but that just really slows it down compared to similar applications.

AirUncleP
Dec 9, 2003, 04:11 PM
Remember folks...Appleworks comes on just about every machine Apple is selling to schools. It is the program of choice for most teachers and it's FREE. The last major update brought the Presentation module which is horrible.

Listen up Apple. How about slimming down Keynote to some version that is useable in Appleworks. If you did that it would be in my lesson plans the next day.

GregGomer
Dec 9, 2003, 04:15 PM
That is the other thing I would love, the ability to have say 3 users use one iPod, maybe the same three computers that are allowed to play itunes music store songs. But then my wife and I could share one iPod.

Lots of logistical things to work out, but could be doable. Then again, I'm sure Apple would rather just send me two iPods. :)

Greg

Bandit
Dec 9, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
You can do this, but if you need access to all of your pictures, no matter how old, at any time (like when you're doing videos and need certain clipart or photos), you don't want to have to put in each CD and open up the libraries until you find the right one (I tried this, but it just didn't work...

Apple needs to let us manage our pictures how we want, and do it faster! :)

Try using a program called CDFinder. It allows you to catalog your CDs and they are still searchable. You can also make contact sheets of your CDs to make it easier to find exactly the picture you want.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 9, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
According to notes, we should see another iTunes 4 update with improvements related to Purchased Music, iPods and Music Store Availability.

...with Apple finally adding support for Photo Albums and Photo Print services to "some" countries outside the United States.
This intrigues me. No-one else has yet commented but this sounds like iTMS may be here sooner than expected?

Please iTMS Europe!!!!! Please!!!:D :cool: :)

Hopefully the UK is part of the iPhoto improvements too!

Chris Wardzala
Dec 9, 2003, 04:31 PM
I hope that the new app will be a web publishing tool that can create basic web pages using images from iPhoto, sounds from iTunes etc.

That would be amazing. I can think of it now.

pjkelnhofer
Dec 9, 2003, 04:36 PM
How about a version of iDVD that works with external/non-superdrive DVD-R's!!!
It has always bothered me that I can use all the iApps but that one without buying a new computer.

lewdvig
Dec 9, 2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
iWorks?

Appleworks == need of serious repair... they better be working on it... really.

Apple just needs to bring the 'all in one' into the Word Processor... like yesterday.

I have to think this is the correct guess. Word compatibility and PDF output are already there, all they need is some decent layout capabilities. Could they take parts from Open Office - not the whole bloated mess, just parts.

Or would they fix up what they have already, maybe add in a junior version of filemaker (iChart :^). They get inject some steroids into Mail and iCal.

Most of it is already there.

Think about it. How many people buy Office X mostly for Word thinking the other stuff _might_ come in handy?

lewdvig
Dec 9, 2003, 04:39 PM
Is a newsreader too fringe?

Maybe a newsreader that handles those RS??? feeds and Avantgo clipping to the iPod...

That would be cool. And there would be at least 5 people that would buy it ;^)

Matty P
Dec 9, 2003, 04:40 PM
The new iApp is is going to be a DVD archive / tv recorder tool that can also play back over 802.11e to a new box that sits under your TV. Also you will be able to record onto your mac via the new box, oh and an updated new 802.11e Airport.

DanUk2003
Dec 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Hopefully the UK is part of the iPhoto improvements too!

I agree...

Hopefully those of us living outside the USA will be able to get iPhoto albums!!

Apple's biggest market maybe the USA, but they HAVE to realise we exist too!!

pimentoLoaf
Dec 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping for an iToaster -- a 2" thick aluminum kitchen appliance with glowing Apple logo.

A 3" model would allow for bagels.

pjkelnhofer
Dec 9, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
I'm hoping for an iToaster -- a 2" thick aluminum kitchen appliance with glowing Apple logo.

Mmmmm.... iToast!

Capt. Obvious
Dec 9, 2003, 04:47 PM
Prosumer audio recording / sequencing++

wHo_tHe
Dec 9, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox
Would iChat A/V for Windows be considered a "new" iApp?

You know they're gonna do it. What's the business case for iChat AV for Windows? Sell more iSights? Apple ported iTunes to Windows to sell more $300 iPods, not more .99 songs. Plus, iChat would be hard sell to Windows users, since it's pretty ordinary in terms of functionality among IM apps, especially on the Windows side, where many more options exist.

Edit: Oops, wrong iApp!

Tommy Wasabi
Dec 9, 2003, 04:51 PM

It should have BlueTooth!

gola
Dec 9, 2003, 04:59 PM
An absolutely essential improvement to iPhoto would be adding support for those short .mpgs which most cameras produce nowadays. Annoying to have to remember to import them by hand after an iPhoto import before deleting the card.

Also maybe some kind of bluetooth/isync mms function in iPhoto. To send iphotos automatically to my T610 for mms use would be great!

Dahl
Dec 9, 2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by wHo_tHe
What's the business case for iChat AV for Windows? Sell more iSights? Apple ported iTunes to Windows to sell more $300 iPods, not more .99 songs. Plus, iChat would be hard sell to Windows users, since it's pretty ordinary in terms of functionality among IM apps, especially on the Windows side, where many more options exist.

Edit: Oops, wrong iApp!
iChat AV has to come out for Windows or some Windows program have to accept iChat. Unlike most apps, the idea about chatting to have as many on board as possible, it would suck if I only can do video chats with Mac users.

Edot
Dec 9, 2003, 05:01 PM

Didn't Steve say something about this being integrated into the actual computer? Accompanied with visually oriented iApp for darkness control?

Spagolli94
Dec 9, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
How about a different naming convention. iThis, iThat..sheesh. I mean really, what type of genuis came of with this *****.

iMac, iPhoto,iTunes,iDVD,iPod,...

I can see the marketing team giving themselves a big pat on the back after those flashes of genius.

I think it all starting in the dot com boom when "i" and "e" everything was popular. Now it is showing it's age and I hope they move away from it. Thank god I am not using iSafari and iKeynote.

Dahl
Dec 9, 2003, 05:28 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea to use those names, they still have some years in them.
The iApps are for the regular comsumers and probably a very good selling point for all the PC zombies looking to switch to Macs. The names work.

At least Apple don't use cyber in any of their names. :D

k2k koos
Dec 9, 2003, 05:41 PM
iDunno, a new version of the help system perhaps....:p

daveL
Dec 9, 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Spagolli94
I think it all starting in the dot com boom when "i" and "e" everything was popular. Now it is showing it's age and I hope they move away from it. Thank god I am not using iSafari and iKeynote.
Perhaps the "i" is for "integrated"? Just a thought. You know, the digital hub and all that.

Trowaman
Dec 9, 2003, 05:45 PM
I don't have much beef with any of the iLife apps, but updates are always good (except when iMovie 3.0.0 was much slower than 2.whatever). I'd like to see what they got cooking in Cupertino.

A new app would be good, especially if it is an Appleworks update. Appleworks needs an update but I'd still rather use it than M$ Word. Everytime I open that app I feel a cold shudder go down my spine.

As for namining everything iWhatever, I want to have disk first aid renamed "iFixedit" and the new error message to read "iOops." At least Safari wasn't "iSurf" and it's just Mail, not "iMail."

Trowaman
Dec 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
and the i was originally on the iMac and stood for "internet Mac" due to its ease of internet connectivity.

rikers_mailbox
Dec 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Dahl
iChat AV has to come out for Windows or some Windows program have to accept iChat. Unlike most apps, the idea about chatting to have as many on board as possible, it would suck if I only can do video chats with Mac users.

Exactly. Apple has put alot of effort into the iSight/iChat A/V for it to be a Mac-only product.

And since PCs are Rendezvous-aware now (see iTunes music sharing), I'm thinking added functionality for iChat and Rendezvous. ie. multiple user video conferencing??? That could be a draw for PC users, albeit it being a niche.

yoman
Dec 9, 2003, 05:53 PM
iPhoto NEEDS HELP! (I prefer using my finder than loading iPhoto)
Speed is all I want now not new features.
iMovie - Speed improvements once again.
iCal- Make it useful to me. I find no real use for it. Surprise me Apple.
iTunes - Allow tracks to be joined in a more funtional way without merging the files.
Mystery iApp hmm... A new appleworks would be neat, or a sound editing software...an itoaster would be neat...all these previous ideas sound intriguing...I'll just hope its free.

P.S. the itoaster should include 3 complimentary bagels or a box of Pop tarts (different flavors of course)

chickengrease16
Dec 9, 2003, 06:21 PM
iPhoto, while neat when you first use it, has become, in my eyes, THE WORST photo program ever. It crashes or takes the better part of forever when downloading images from either my Canon Powershot S230 or Sony Mavica MVC-CD250 (which, by the way, my 17" 1.25GHz iMac doesn't recognize the finalized cds, so i have to download via USB... uggh). iphoto's album idea is very VERY inefficient, and when i want a pic in an album, _i_want_it_in_an_album_, not a virtual album that just says "this photo here is in this album". and the storage sucks, sorting it by date? no. it should be sorted by album. it is slow, inefficient, and makes working with photos a pain. i've found that using FINDER for photo organizing and image capture for downloading works 1000000x better than iphoto. i'm ashamed that apple calls it their own (which it wasnt at first).

it is good at putting on a slideshow, and red eye reduction rocks. and its got some neat ideas -- just not implemented correctly.

restiffbard
Dec 9, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by daveL
Perhaps the "i" is for "integrated"? Just a thought. You know, the digital hub and all that.

I do believe the i had a dual meaning at first. for quite a while after Jobs came back his title was iCEO. The "i" meant interim.

Also, a major selling point for the iMac was that you plug in the power, mouse, keyboard, phone line and you're online and crusing the infobahn. hence i"nternet"Mac.

Macco
Dec 9, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Remember folks...Appleworks comes on just about every machine Apple is selling to schools. It is the program of choice for most teachers and it's FREE. The last major update brought the Presentation module which is horrible.

Listen up Apple. How about slimming down Keynote to some version that is useable in Appleworks. If you did that it would be in my lesson plans the next day.

I don't think that Apple would ever bundle a very good presentation program with their computers. After all, what is there to take out of Keynote that wouldn't make the application useless? I've never seen a PC manufacturer bundle Powerpoint with a computer.

Dr Zaius
Dec 9, 2003, 06:31 PM
The next version of iPhoto needs album sharing between users.

It is a PITA sharing an account so everyone can access the photos.

FattyMembrane
Dec 9, 2003, 06:34 PM
i tend to think the new iApp will not have an "i" in front. Luckily, apple has moved away from that (keynote, safari, font book, address book). i think a word processor would be excellent. Really, if apple just added openoffice.org document support and MacLinkPlus .doc conversion to the cocoa text engine, TextEdit could just get a few extra features and we would have a full fledged word processor. perhaps it will stay TextEdit, or perhaps we'll get a new app like "Note Book" or "Author".

p.s. for those of you who are interested, the native (http://www.abisource.com/~hub/) port of abiword is under way and should be ready by the 2.2 release.

j33pd0g
Dec 9, 2003, 06:40 PM
Wasn't there a rumor earlier this year that suggested a new app called "Document"?

I think a solid, rich-featured, word processor app is something that should be bundled with OS X. My case being that PC's aren't bundled with M$ Word, or Office... so buy a Mac, or upgrade your OS and get everything out of the box. Simple. It just works.

visor
Dec 9, 2003, 06:48 PM

Appleworks is a complete desaster. I think it needs to be redone from scratch, but I don't think we'll see one because m$ has that market.
Also Office X is not to bad. I rarely use an office suite, but MS is my choice for now. It's not great, can cause a lot od problems, but it's still a damn slight faster to use for me than anything else.

bikertwin
Dec 9, 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Matty P
The new iApp is is going to be a DVD archive / tv recorder tool that can also play back over 802.11e to a new box that sits under your TV. Also you will be able to record onto your mac via the new box

Fascinating ideas, Matty P. Very digital-hub-by.

And what about this: iMovie and iDVD let you create and edit movies and DVDs, but right now iTunes and iPhoto only let you edit lists of music and photos (OK, iPhoto has 2 or 3 things it can do like red eye and magic brush, but that's it). What about making iTunes and iPhoto into full-fledged (or even half-fledged, whatever fledged means) editing programs?

iTunes 5 could borrow some technology from the Logic apps and/or Soundtrack, and iPhoto could use some technology from Final Cut and LiveType.

This would let you use iTunes 5 to edit and combine songs, add additional tracks, you know--be a DJ (wasn't Garage Band a registered trademark a while back?).

Like wise, iPhoto 3 would let you add text to images, draw simple shapes, do simple editing.

I mean, with Adobe and Macromedia bundling everything in sight, Apple has to come up with a bundling strategy that includes more than just DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro. They need bitmap and vector editing programs to really compete. They have a lot of technology they've bought in the past two years.

So why not start at the low end (iPhoto/iLife) to get customer feedback? Just a thought.

geerlingguy
Dec 9, 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Bandit
Try using a program called CDFinder. It allows you to catalog your CDs and they are still searchable. You can also make contact sheets of your CDs to make it easier to find exactly the picture you want.

Clarification: I like looking at the thumbnails in the way iPhoto displays them. Plus, sometimes, when I import 200+ pictures per CompactFlash card (like after vacations), I don't have time to title them all... Especially because iPhoto is so darn slow at allowing me to title them :rolleyes: :

1) Click on photo, wait for it to become selected (about 2 seconds)

2)Select and delete title, then type in new title and hit "Return"

3) Wait 10 seconds before I can go to step 1 again...

Apple needs a new way to title photos quicker.

ITR 81
Dec 9, 2003, 06:56 PM
So far my prediction list is coming true.
Kinda scary isn't it?

I believe new product will be Apple Word Processor.

Eventually I think Apple will kill off AppleWorks once it gets a new set of apps to bundle together or replace it with another name office suite.

All the iLife apps will see major and minor updates. Most them probably UI tweaks, making it faster, and bug fixes.

I feel iTunes will become iTunes 5 since they need to be ready for new Apple Music Stores opening up next yr.

ITR 81
Dec 9, 2003, 07:00 PM
I keep reading about slow iPhoto and I have 1,000+ pictures in mine now and it still running at the same speed as when I had 300 in it.

rdowns
Dec 9, 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
While iTrack may be cool and fun, I think the the iOffice/iWorks-complete overhaul of Appleworks adding KeyNote other features to create an Office alternative- makes more sense. It would be another reason to go mac, it would allow mac users to completely free them of M$ dependence. As well as make macs look like a 'total solution package'. No knock on M$, they just seem to make their software bigger then it needs to be, that's called, um, mm, bloat-ware? I think Apple could make a nice Appleworks type office app and would be a possible $49 paid iApp.

iTrack is just a fun tool for some, and would have to be free.

I just don't see Apple releasing an Office suite.

Allow Mac users to free themselves from MS dependence? More like Apple freeing themselves from corporate desktop dependence without Office compatibility.

If Apple releases a competitor to Office, MS retaliates and cuts off Macs from the corporate world.

ITR 81
Dec 9, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
I just don't see Apple releasing an Office suite.

Allow Mac users to free themselves from MS dependence? More like Apple freeing themselves from corporate desktop dependence without Office compatibility.

If Apple releases a competitor to Office, MS retaliates and cuts off Macs from the corporate world.

MS won't pull out because as soon as they do another anti-trust lawsuit will spring up. MS wouldn't dare do that even if Apple released Office app.

visor
Dec 9, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by DanUk2003
I agree...

Hopefully those of us living outside the USA will be able to get iPhoto albums!!

Apple's biggest market maybe the USA, but they HAVE to realise we exist too!!
Do you think that is a big market for apple? Just look at the odds - USA how many inhabitants? probably 700 million, all one language, one service provider - easy.
Look at europe, biggest country is Germany with some 76 million people, followed by france and the UK i think. Differnet countries, different laws, differnet service providers... I'm establishing very simple services all over europe, but that is already an extremely timeconsuming task. All those languages, completely crazy. Never mind differnet ways of thinking, differnet interface expectations, etc.

The french are the worst with their language, the germans will do everything technically completely different needing to have it their own way, italians are mostly chaotic, but nice ;) britans are incredibly slow for whatever reasons, and all the others are peculiar in their own way.
Damn, if you can make it there.... ;)

rdowns
Dec 9, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
MS won't pull out because as soon as they do another anti-trust lawsuit will spring up. MS wouldn't dare do that even if Apple released Office app.

I disagree. Why would/should MS continue Office development if Apple had a direct competitor? Apple would surely have an advantage as to OS hooks that MS does not have. MS could throw the same anti-trust arguement back at Apple. A very slippery slope here.

visor
Dec 9, 2003, 07:24 PM
I disagree. Why would/should MS continue Office development if Apple had a direct competitor? Apple would surely have an advantage as to OS hooks that MS does not have. MS could throw the same anti-trust arguement back at Apple. A very slippery slope here.

It's not the problems with the anti trust. Who cares? The problem is that M$ has never been compatible to itself with new versions. better to leave it to M$ to ensure at least a bit of compatibility on an interplattform basis.

pyknosis
Dec 9, 2003, 07:26 PM
geerlingguy: Everything you've said about iPhoto is spot on. It is horribly slow, especially if you have a camera in the 4megapixel+ range. And losing your albums when you archive to CD is really annoying. I'm close to giving up on iPhoto entirely (and probably moving to iView Media Pro which seems to be pretty fast).

PS, visor: You are way, way off on the US population. It is currently less than 300 million. (US census info (http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/popclock))

GregA
Dec 9, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by theFly
While I would love to a see an major upgrade to Appleworks, I have to wonder that if (as rumored), Microsoft will be introducing the next version of Office and VirtualPC during the keynote, that the likely hood of an Office app being introduced at the same time is slim to none.Originally posted by restiffbard

does anyone else feel like appleworks doesn't even fit OS X? It just feels like the elephant in the middle of the room.I agree Apple works upgrade is a necessity. AND I agree MS may not be happy, and there are rumors of new MS products in January. But MS will do what they do, and I'd rather see Apple release a good product than stop in case of Microsoft.

Anyway, Appleworks used to compete with Microsoft Works - NOT MSOffice which was a different market. Maybe Apple can market a new clean, elegant, Appleworks as simply that - an improvement to something they already had. Later, with the well designed core, they would have the option for a "Pro" version with more functionality, Keynote, and Filemaker Pro.

ITR 81
Dec 9, 2003, 07:58 PM

Doubt it with only 5% of the market share if MS did that it would only look like bully tactic.

Also the samething could be said about MS since they make their own office suite for themselves and Apple could always make version of theirs as well for Windows.

MS does not want another anti-trust case tossed their way so they will play it safe or bare the full brunt of another 5yrs of anti-trust cases.

MikeL
Dec 9, 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox
Exactly. Apple has put alot of effort into the iSight/iChat A/V for it to be a Mac-only product.

They've put a lot of work into Mac OS X as well, but I doubt the PC version will be out anytime soon.

iTunes for Windows was made because Apple's music strategy wouldn't work without it. There's no compelling business reason to make iChat for the PC--and no, having more people to chat with isn't a compelling reason. Besides, Apple has stated that the protocal for the AV portion is open, so that if another developer wished to make a broader product there could be interoperability. AOL will likely do this when they introduce video into AIM next year.

MM2270
Dec 9, 2003, 08:01 PM
I seriously hope Apple is working on a big update to Keynote already! For as good as it is for essentially a 1.0 app (I know it's at 1.1.1) it has some big deficiencies. It seems they have barely touched this app since it was released, and I know of MANY people who have given feedback on it to Apple. So, I really hope to see a new version really soon. Maybe the new app is a total Office-like suite? I hope so.

Not that I don't like the idea of updated iMovie, iPhoto, etc. but they're much more mature apps already. Time for Apple to put out an Office killer!

Just my 2Ę

zamyatin
Dec 9, 2003, 08:05 PM
A new, overhauled version of Appleworks would be very welcome! As I have said before, and will say again, the most important new feature I want in Appleworks is native, default use of the OpenOffice.org file formats!

Millions of Mac users with Appleworks saving files in OOo's formats, along with tens of millions of Linux and Wintel users saving their files from OOo in OOo's formats will finally crack the MS Office stranglehold! Let it happen!

coolsoldier
Dec 9, 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by visor
Do you think that is a big market for apple? Just look at the odds - USA how many inhabitants? probably 700 million, all one language, one service provider - easy.

293 Million people in the U.S. And Europe's economy is overall about 150% of the U.S. last time I checked.
So the rest of the world may not be as trivial as you think ;)

That and most of the world can speak some English... worldwide more people speak English as a second language than speak any one language natively.
And even the U.S. is largely bilingual. Heck, here in New Mexico we actually have two official languages.

Not that that's really and issue since Apple's software is already multilingual anyway. And since they have a presence in most European countries already, it shouldn't be that hard to internationalize services like photo printing. (Things like iTMS I can understand the delays).

IJ Reilly
Dec 9, 2003, 08:08 PM
AppleWorks has just got to go -- and all the evidence points to its imminent demise. It hasn't been updated since OSX was released, and then just barely. All Apple needs is a new word processor, and whether they elect to call it a "productivity suite" or something else, all the pieces are in place. A new word processor could be announced in January (hope, hope), though I agree Steve would almost certainly not not poke Microsoft in the eye by announcing an Apple branded suite package on the same day Microsoft commits to future versions of OfficeX.

Hmm, a joint Office project between Apple and Microsoft... now that's an intriguing idea.

wHo_tHe
Dec 9, 2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by coolsoldier
And Europe's economy is overall about 150% of the U.S. last time I checked.
I'm not calling this into question, but I am curious, by which measure?

coolsoldier
Dec 9, 2003, 08:24 PM
I'm not calling this into question, but I am curious, by which measure?

The combined GNP of European countries as compared to the GNP of the U.S.

I haven't checked recently, but I don't think the ratio has changed that much.

evolu
Dec 9, 2003, 08:24 PM
The french are the worst with their language, the germans will do everything technically completely different needing to have it their own way, italians are mostly chaotic, but nice ;) britans are incredibly slow for whatever reasons, and all the others are peculiar in their own way.

Spoken like a true American! Yeehaw!

Very sad post.

ITR 81
Dec 9, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by MM2270
I seriously hope Apple is working on a big update to Keynote already! For as good as it is for essentially a 1.0 app (I know it's at 1.1.1) it has some big deficiencies. It seems they have barely touched this app since it was released, and I know of MANY people who have given feedback on it to Apple. So, I really hope to see a new version really soon. Maybe the new app is a total Office-like suite? I hope so.

Keynotes 2.0 is supposed to be released in Jan. accordin to recent rumors.

the_mole1314
Dec 9, 2003, 08:50 PM
Death to Appleworks!

Man, I hate that thing, slow, crappy, and ugly.

pyknosis
Dec 9, 2003, 09:10 PM
coolsoldier: Just to be precise about the US vs. European GDPs, according to the CIA factbook 2002, which I referenced for this very question a while ago:

USA GDP = ~10 trillion USD
Europe* GDP sum = ~10.4 trillion USD

*Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxemborg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK

So, yes, there is certainly money to be made in the European economy, but at the current time, I think Apple and many other hardware and software companies are trying to establish users in the very rapidly growing Asian economies. Perhaps Europe is on the back burner for a lot of companies because of that focus?

simply258
Dec 9, 2003, 09:24 PM
1 + 1 = ?

simply258
Dec 9, 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
I think Apple could make a nice Appleworks type office app and would be a possible $49 paid iApp.
I think that's pushing it a little bit. Keynote alone currently sells for $99. You want $49 for a whole suite of up to 6 apps ? If they do come out with something that includes word processing, page layout, painting, spreadsheet, database, and presentations (as per AppleWorks), plus maybe a web site app, I think $199 (for a GOOD/Office X quality product) would seem about right.

simply258
Dec 9, 2003, 09:49 PM
Appleworks is a complete desaster. I think it needs to be redone from scratch, but I don't think we'll see one because m$ has that market.
IE had the market on the Mac not long ago.

kherdin
Dec 9, 2003, 10:06 PM
Really, what Apple needs to do with its iApps is the same thing it has done with Jaguar's Preview to make Panther's Preview. Anyone who's used Jaguar's preview to open large (and even medium-sized and small) pdfs would attest to how SLOW it was. But, if you look at Panther's on identical hardware, the difference is amazing. Panther is just SO MUCH FASTER, its crazy.

I think Apple should apply this tactic to every one of its iApps, cuz we have to admit it, they are all slow. On some, like iPhoto, its much more noticeable than on others, like iTunes. But even iTunes is slow, just try resizing a window with a medium-sized playlist open in it, and see how choppy it is on anything short of G5 hardware.

If Apple were to do a revamp of every one of its iApps in the same manner that they did the Jaguar's Preview ---> Panther's Preview revamp, all the apps would be speed demons, and Apple would trully have an amazing offering.

uberman42
Dec 9, 2003, 10:35 PM
My guess as to the other app- Apple announces it has bought Adobe and resells CS suite for $199 causing a massive migration of Windows users to Mac. Apple Acrobat is now sold for $29.99 and is still available as a PC app. Word users convert, loving it because what they create is now in PDF format that can be exchanged by all platforms. Woman sues Apple when she is trampled as customers lunge at the pyramid of Apple CS boxes in front of the store. More news at 11....

uberman42
Dec 9, 2003, 10:39 PM
can you imagine if apple came out with a revised spreadsheet application without the feature bloat of Excel? I love excel, but there is a lot of stuff that it can do without (keeps the formulas and intergrate applescript as the macro) That would be keen for Apple to come out with next. Businesses would love it.

Potus
Dec 9, 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Sonofhaig

Thanks for the tip: I'm going to do that, too.

Natron
Dec 10, 2003, 12:28 AM
While I am waiting on a full on Apple Office solution, I don't think it will come in January. Recent rumors say that we won't see a major office pack until late 2004, or after the next version of MS Office (which, as other rumors have claimed, will be announced in January (or early '04)) Coupled with the .doc support in TextEdit in Panther, I think that is acting as a hold over until we see an office pack.

Anyway, as for the iApps, I think we'll see iPhoto 3, iMovie 3.5 (or 4), maybe iTunes 4.2 (5 would be doubtful), and an update to iDVD.

Other apps I would like to see are:

1 - audio editing/mixing (similar to Peak)

2 - an "iTunes for movies" app, basically organizes and plays back qt movies (integration with qt site and music videos in iTMS, maybe search of videos online, streaming videos (maybe including different services, (adcritic)))

3 - a web app, basically integrating photos, calendars, etc. into one interface (this could be a .Mac deal, but I don't think it should be exclusively)

I thought I had a few others, but I can't think of them right now. Maybe back later.

wellumok
Dec 10, 2003, 12:39 AM
Here are some features I would like to see in a future version of Keynote - who knows - maybe it will happen in Jan

- true dual-monitor support so that you can have your presentation showing on one monitor while you have the editing window in front of you

- this would allow you to be able to edit the presentation and browse around it without changing anything on the presentation

- it would also allow to use a video feed or video on your hard drive as a background and add text to it live
screen

these features, among others, are currently a part of a program called mediashout, which is in the process of being ported to mac os x, but it would be great if they could be in keynote as well

http://www.mediashout.com/about_ms/

SiliconAddict
Dec 10, 2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81

Actually Microsoft could kill office in a manner that would appear legit. Let Appleís new Office app get nice and cozy (maybe 6 months.) and then drop the bombshell that hey if Apple is going to create their own Office suite why do they need MS Office. Itís basically the same reason they gave for **** canning IE. And frankly itís hard to prove anticompetitive practices when your competitors put out a product to compete against yours. It would be as if MS giving up on the Apple platform would be anticompetitive and that canít be claimed.
Contrary to popular belief there are A LOT of people that would not even consider a Mac if MS Office wasnít available.
Someone had mentioned in a thread I read that the thing going on between Apple and Microsoft is like a cold war. Dang straight. Apple has an aging Appleworks product that is sitting out there and languishing. The closest Apple has come to sending a shot across Microsoftís bow is with Keynote and even then that was ONE app.
Iím wondering if there is an unspoken agreement where as long as Apple doesnít decide to update or push a new Office suite Microsoft will continue to support the Mac platform. I personally think both companies are hovering over the BUTTON. Apple wants to get this collar they have around there neck off but canít really predict how the market would react and Microsoft wants to drop Mac support in a big way but right now is somewhat fearful as to what new antitrust charges would get slapped on them with such an action. If anything they are looking for an excuse.

PS- Iíve always wondered how the developers who are in the Microsoft Mac BU are treated by the rest?

coolsoldier
Dec 10, 2003, 12:55 AM
The Mac (and Windows too, really) needs a second office suite that is comparable to and compatible with MS Office, but I think it would be best for the platform if that competing office software was not distributed by Apple. It would be a much smarter move to perhaps quietly support a third-party Mac developer (we do still have some of those) in the project rather than risk pissing of MS by doing it themselves.

DangerDiabolik
Dec 10, 2003, 01:18 AM
I'd LOVE a Quicktime meets itunes/iphoto app for organzing video

- iTime ?

if its a new simpel Word processing app...how bout we get crazy and call it

- iWord

Finally I woudl LOVE a consumer grade box that coudl help me get tv/vcr into my computer

- iIn or iBox, ?

singletrack
Dec 10, 2003, 01:32 AM
Plus, iChat would be hard sell to Windows users, since it's pretty ordinary in terms of functionality among IM apps, especially on the Windows side, where many more options exist.

You'd think so, but everytime I drop an image, a PDF or other file on an iChat window for a user to be told it's rejected by their windows based software seems to say otherwise.

Like most Apple apps, it looks simple but hides quite a bit of functionality that just works like you think it should.

JDOG_
Dec 10, 2003, 01:37 AM
Why do people want a new word processor? MS word is excellent and the industry standard. When you work cross-platform you'll appreciate it, I think a lot of people rag on it because they're the Mac only type.

I think a lot of things need to be added to iTunes and iPhoto basically needs a complete overhaul...for self-tauting it as the "missing link in photography" it fails to live up to that as I had more luck with Microsoft's Photo Wizard with my old laptop. In fact I still have to use my PC to put pictures onto my website because I don't want to pay $40 for a decent ftp program.

I also want them to rework all the iApps so they don't double the space when you import files into them...it took me weeks to realize my 40mb movie took up 4 gigs b/c of iMovie....blegh :P

singletrack
Dec 10, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Actually Microsoft could kill office in a manner that would appear legit. Let Appleís new Office app get nice and cozy (maybe 6 months.) and then drop the bombshell that hey if Apple is going to create their own Office suite why do they need MS Office. Itís basically the same reason they gave for **** canning IE.

The difference being that web browsers use open published standards for their documents. Office on the other hand does not. That is what is anti competitive. You're welcome to come up with your own word processor format but that would be almost as silly as coming up with your own browser that didn't support HTML.

And frankly itís hard to prove anticompetitive practices when your competitors put out a product to compete against yours. It would be as if MS giving up on the Apple platform would be anticompetitive and that canít be claimed.

See above. Apple seems to use XML for everything these days - that's playing nice in the market.

The closest Apple has come to sending a shot across Microsoftís bow is with Keynote and even then that was ONE app.

Safari, Quicktime, iTunes with AAC only. Adding word support in textedit, improved Appleworks M$ support in v6.2.7.

Iím wondering if there is an unspoken agreement where as long as Apple doesnít decide to update or push a new Office suite Microsoft will continue to support the Mac platform. I personally think both companies are hovering over the BUTTON. Apple wants to get this collar they have around there neck off but canít really predict how the market would react and Microsoft wants to drop Mac support in a big way but right now is somewhat fearful as to what new antitrust charges would get slapped on them with such an action. If anything they are looking for an excuse.

Possibly. It revolves around Microsoft using an open format for their documents though. .DOC, .XLS etc have become ubiquitous in business to the point that you have to support them in any word processor or spreadsheet. M$ keeping them secret harms competition.

Token
Dec 10, 2003, 02:16 AM
I think for consumers they will release a collaborative blog/diary/text/web publishing app, integrated with iChat/Address book, etc...

Later on, they will introduce "Apple Final Word" for Word Pro's (for creative writers, academics, students, etc..)

singletrack
Dec 10, 2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by JDOG_
Why do people want a new word processor? MS word is excellent and the industry standard. When you work cross-platform you'll appreciate it, I think a lot of people rag on it because they're the Mac only type.

Nope. People like choice. Word is too big and full of features many people don't need plus it's missing some features some people do need. And it's not cheap.

However, because people send you Word format documents, any word processor you have needs to support it. Since MS do not publish the file format, it's almost impossible for other vendors to compete.

I think a lot of things need to be added to iTunes and iPhoto basically needs a complete overhaul...for self-tauting it as the "missing link in photography" it fails to live up to that as I had more luck with Microsoft's Photo Wizard with my old laptop. In fact I still have to use my PC to put pictures onto my website because I don't want to pay $40 for a decent ftp program.

iPhoto needs one thing - more speed. It's partly because it opens in the Library and has to thumbnail 1000's of images and partly just because it's slow. The Library problem can be worked around by sticking the default view as 'Film Roll mode' and collapsing all the rolls.

iTunes - all it needs for me is a method of picking up new files you add outside of iTunes without having to delete your library and reimport the whole file structure.

singletrack
Dec 10, 2003, 03:04 AM

Even when I use Word to write docs, I always send them in PDF format. It's smaller, doesn't store revision edits which can be potentially embarrassing in contracts and preserves font and layout better than Word does. It's cross platform and non-Word users can still view it for free. Plus people with old versions of Word aren't left out because you've used the latest whizzbang version.

You only need Word when multiple authors are involved. When that's the case I tend to use RTF. It's not that big a deal in the corporate world if people used it sensibly.

The problem is, loads of people don't.

Trimix
Dec 10, 2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Wasabi
It should have BlueTooth!

Cool, it would call me on my i-phone, to tell me the toast is ready, while I am shaving with my i-pod-shaver (shave and hum...) :D

djdarlek
Dec 10, 2003, 04:47 AM
well i'd like to see Apple introduce iDJ!

I currently DJ in a club using Megaseg and have learnt to just set BPMs manually.. and then i saw 'Atomix' (pc) in action where it partically mixes itself! I felt quit bitter.

Apple need a program that auto BPMs, access the iTunes music database and has loads of trippy visuals. They do seem to be trying to pioneer a lot of things music wise atm, yet the crossfade in iTunes just doesn't cut it for partys and ESPECIALLY these iPod party nights everyone is talking about.

Ok, so i can dream at least. [Megaseg, ***** get auto BPMing working!]

billyboy
Dec 10, 2003, 05:44 AM
Appleworks needs a cosmetic upgrade; it should be compatable for right click copy and paste, and scroll, and have improved Save As compatability with all standards, be it MS or Open Office. But really, as far as practical use, I think it is a good balance between function and bloat. Call me a dumbass teacher but basically its good enough for professional looking, easy to achieve work, especially the draw package. Then again, I do think Text Edit is great too, so what do I know about glam apps!

GregA
Dec 10, 2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
Appleworks needs a cosmetic upgrade; it should be compatable for right click copy and paste, and scroll, and have improved Save As compatability with all standards, be it MS or Open Office. But really, as far as practical use, I think it is a good balance between function and bloat. Call me a dumbass teacher but basically its good enough for professional looking, easy to achieve work, especially the draw package. Then again, I do think Text Edit is great too, so what do I know about glam apps! I use MS Office, I need the file compatibility but not many functions really. So yeah - MS file formats would be great.

But beyond that - how about just separating out the Appleworks programs (iWord, iSpread, iBase, iDraw, iPaint, iPresent...?) and link applications the same way iTunes and iMovie are linked.

Each application can be individually cleaned up & improved, and might share common code with other Apple apps (Filemaker? Keynote? TextEdit?). iPaint may have some synergy with iPhoto?

iAlan
Dec 10, 2003, 09:09 AM
How about a management tool for all the iApps- Maybe iApp Manager, where you can link audio, video, DVD and picture files in a central database and can call this up as a module in the other iApps, thereby not needing to bog down any one iApp (like is the case with iMovie) with everything already loaded. Just load iApps Manager from the file menu and you get an instant list of items to select from. Close it down and there is nothing running to slow the system down.

I hope the above explains what I am trying to say!!

Also, a more developed web design tool, an enhanced version of the current HomePage app that will alow you to add a little more creativity to your homepage, not just the bland standardised stuff in HomePage. Could maybe use Keynote as a layout tool.

Potus
Dec 10, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by JDOG_

I want an apple works update because I use MS word on a daily basis in my work.

Knowing and using something doesn't necessarily make one love it.

Potus
Dec 10, 2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
Appleworks needs a cosmetic upgrade; it should be compatable for right click copy and paste, and scroll, and have improved Save As compatability with all standards, be it MS or Open Office. But really, as far as practical use, I think it is a good balance between function and bloat. Call me a dumbass teacher but basically its good enough for professional looking, easy to achieve work, especially the draw package. Then again, I do think Text Edit is great too, so what do I know about glam apps!

What you said.

The database rocks.

TMay
Dec 10, 2003, 10:11 AM
I haven't heard a thing about Filemaker 7 for months. Anybody have anything about when this might appear. I'm still at 5.5 as 6.0 was a pretty minimal update.

mister880
Dec 10, 2003, 12:31 PM
If only Apple would add DVD-RW support to iDVD! My mirror door has a built in DVD-RW drive even though apple calls them a dvd-r drive. Why don't they market the RW format?

I would burn so much more! I don't send out movies as often as I would like when I think about th $5.00 a disc!

Kevin Leidecker
www.kevtv.com

PeteyKohut
Dec 10, 2003, 01:41 PM
What about iVideo? Sort of a video jukebox. iTunes is to Music what iVideo is to videos and movies. Not an editor, rather an organizer. I know there are third party solutions to do this, but they suck!

bankshot
Dec 10, 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by mister880
If only Apple would add DVD-RW support to iDVD! My mirror door has a built in DVD-RW drive even though apple calls them a dvd-r drive. Why don't they market the RW format?

It's actually quite easy to burn a DVD-RW from iDVD. When you click Burn and it asks for a disc, put in a regular DVD-R. Then when it starts encoding the video, hit the eject key and swap in a DVD-RW. iDVD won't know the difference. I've done this many times.

As to why they don't officially support it, I suppose it's probably because DVD-RW has a hard time playing in many DVD players. It's probably Apple's philosophy of making everything extremely simple, and avoiding a bunch of novice users becoming confused or frustrated because their DVD-RW didn't play.

~Shard~
Dec 10, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bankshot
It's actually quite easy to burn a DVD-RW from iDVD. When you click Burn and it asks for a disc, put in a regular DVD-R. Then when it starts encoding the video, hit the eject key and swap in a DVD-RW. iDVD won't know the difference. I've done this many times.

Nice one, I'll have to give that a try msyelf! Now all I need is something to burn onto DVD... ;)

~Shard~
Dec 10, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by PeteyKohut
What about iVideo? Sort of a video jukebox. iTunes is to Music what iVideo is to videos and movies. Not an editor, rather an organizer. I know there are third party solutions to do this, but they suck!

But then would this app also play the movies, just as iTunes plays your music? Because if so, then what would QuickTime be good for anymore? An iMovie app would be nice though if they combined the functionality of QuickTime Pro, VLC and MPlayer, but I don't know if this is really feasible.

coolsoldier
Dec 10, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
But then would this app also play the movies, just as iTunes plays your music? Because if so, then what would QuickTime be good for anymore?

Remember that QuickTime is more than just QuickTime player. iTunes does, and an iVideo app would probably also, use QuickTime to play. As for QuickTime Pro, the primary purpose of it is to edit, not play, videos. But for an iVideo app to be useful to me, it would have to be able to rip from DVD, and because of the legal issues surrounding De-CSS, I don't see that happening.

CalamityShane
Dec 10, 2003, 08:23 PM
Here are a couple of simple suggestions that I think would enhance the iApps and make them a lot more fun:

1. iPhoto integration with iCal. Make your own Calendars with pictures of your family. It could have all of your recurring dates like birthdays.

2. iTunes should have something to print a quick and dirty CD cover and/or CD label. With the design geniuses at Apple, they could make a few snazzy templates. More importantly, it would automatically print the song titles/ artist on the cover insert as well. Wouldn't this be great for all those mix tapes you make? Anyone else get annoyed w/ the way you have to put in a CD to burn? How about an easy method for splitting a track?

3. Ditto on the need to improve speed on iPhoto. Also, there should be more options for uploading pictures to other photo printing sites simply.

4. Appleworks - it needs a total overhaul obviously. Why not have integration w/ iCal and better yet Address book (for address labels, form letters, etc..)

TorbX
Dec 10, 2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by pyknosis
coolsoldier: Just to be precise about the US vs. European GDPs, according to the CIA factbook 2002, which I referenced for this very question a while ago:

USA GDP = ~10 trillion USD
Europe* GDP sum = ~10.4 trillion USD

*Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxemborg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK

So, yes, there is certainly money to be made in the European economy, but at the current time, I think Apple and many other hardware and software companies are trying to establish users in the very rapidly growing Asian economies. Perhaps Europe is on the back burner for a lot of companies because of that focus?

There are treatys between most european countries that makes law and stuff very easy. You know, the Euro-currency and stuff. Should not be very hard at all...

I sure hope for it, I envy you folks in America :)

Myself, I live in Norway. Total population of 4 million people, not a member in EU... I guess we'll be diddeling along all the way back in the line... :)

scat999999
Dec 11, 2003, 12:24 PM
Microsoft is a software company that could care less what platform their software is running on as long as someone is buying it. Gates will support Office X as long as there is a market for it. Even if Apple releases a killer productivity suite, corporate America won't switch from Office. It's too ingrained. Sure, the Apple faithful may switch, but as long as the IT departments insist on Office compatability, MS will stay in the game. Sometimes you guys tend to forget that Gates et al don't do this for a hobby!

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Actually Microsoft could kill office in a manner that would appear legit. Let Appleís new Office app get nice and cozy (maybe 6 months.) and then drop the bombshell that hey if Apple is going to create their own Office suite why do they need MS Office. Itís basically the same reason they gave for **** canning IE. And frankly itís hard to prove anticompetitive practices when your competitors put out a product to compete against yours. It would be as if MS giving up on the Apple platform would be anticompetitive and that canít be claimed.
Contrary to popular belief there are A LOT of people that would not even consider a Mac if MS Office wasnít available.
Someone had mentioned in a thread I read that the thing going on between Apple and Microsoft is like a cold war. Dang straight. Apple has an aging Appleworks product that is sitting out there and languishing. The closest Apple has come to sending a shot across Microsoftís bow is with Keynote and even then that was ONE app.

PS- Iíve always wondered how the developers who are in the Microsoft Mac BU are treated by the rest?