PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 with a cracked screen




AppleGuy1980
Jun 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
So I have an iBook G4 with a cracked screen. The guy at the genius bar said it would cost $755 to repair it, and let's be honest an iBook just isn't worth $755 so I basically need a new computer, which leaves me two options.

I'm in college so I don't desperately need a new laptop until the fall, but I do need something to use computerwise, so unless I buy a new laptop soon, I'll need to buy a display to hook up to the iBook (which it looks like would cost $150-$200). So, should I buy the display and wait until September to see if Apple releases new MacBooks, or should I just go ahead and buy now, and not have to spend the money on the display?

Finally, after I do buy my new MacBook, would there be any resale value to the iBook? If for example, the iBook itself were worth $150-200, I could just sell it, and the proceeds from that would cover the expense of the display, and I'd have a nice new display to use with my MacBook.

Your thoughts?



sahni130
Jun 29, 2008, 12:03 AM
buy a new macbook now so you can get a free ipod touch, it could be months, maybe even till november until apple releases new macbooks.

TwinCities Dan
Jun 29, 2008, 12:11 AM
In all reality you could probably just hook up an ext. monitor but, then a new (faster) MacBook would be crying... :( ;)

John876
Jun 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
So I have an iBook G4 with a cracked screen. The guy at the genius bar said it would cost $755 to repair it, and let's be honest an iBook just isn't worth $755 so I basically need a new computer, which leaves me two options.

I'm in college so I don't desperately need a new laptop until the fall, but I do need something to use computerwise, so unless I buy a new laptop soon, I'll need to buy a display to hook up to the iBook (which it looks like would cost $150-$200). So, should I buy the display and wait until September to see if Apple releases new MacBooks, or should I just go ahead and buy now, and not have to spend the money on the display?

Finally, after I do buy my new MacBook, would there be any resale value to the iBook? If for example, the iBook itself were worth $150-200, I could just sell it, and the proceeds from that would cover the expense of the display, and I'd have a nice new display to use with my MacBook.

Your thoughts?

Just buy the external display and wait until September to buy a MacBook. If you can wait, you should so that you have the chance at a higher spec macbook, maybe even with multitouch. If you want an iPod touch, though, be sure to buy before that promotion is over.

As for the cracked iBook, I'd say it's pretty much worthless, but maybe you could find someone who would use it in place of a Mac Mini.