Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I have two problems with my PowerBook G4. It's a 1.5 GHz 15 inch model running 10.5.3.

1. This problem gradually got worse - whenever I woke from sleep, it would freeze for 15 seconds to 30 seconds. Now, it's gotten to the point where it won't come out of a constant beachball whenever I open the machine. This is combined with general sluggishness and unresponsiveness during all use of the computer.

2. The battery - sometimes it will randomly die and the machine will go to sleep mode. Sometimes it could be as high as 70% where it shows 70% then in a fraction of a second it goes to zero. The light on the battery shows the same - one second it could be at 4 lights, then one blinking one the next.

I'm not sure if I need a new battery or what is wrong with this machine. I've tried a PRAM reset and various other common things like that.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I can't help with the general sluggishness of the computer, but I recently bought a "new" iBook and the battery would say it had a 85% charge, and then all the sudden the computer would die. It turned out that the battery on your computer needed to be replaced, once I replaced the battery the battery issue was gone. Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't help more!

Don

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
It's back. I updated to 10.5.4. I was reading the Wikipedia article on the MacBook Pro problems section, and although this is a PowerBook, i am experiencing this issue, except it's just when I wake from sleep:

-A small number of users have experienced issues with an unresponsive GUI, which can only be remedied by a reboot. Symptoms include: The mouse pointer can still be moved, iTunes still does play, and it is possible to log in with SSH.

As a LOLCat would say: HALP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.