Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
Q3 2004?

thats when most people want G5 powerbooks.

anyone know what kinda speeds this is supposed to run at? maybe it'll be for the ibook or emac

ebeitzuri

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2001
consumer chip?

My guess is that this is the new consumer level chip. iMacs and iBooks will likely be getting this baby. We may even see it in Powerbooks if the G5 has issues.

rabatjoie

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
Paris
Originally posted by MattG
What's the clockrate of these things going to be? Could this be the final nail in Motorola's coffin?

The Appleinsider article says:

Clock-speeds should initially reach 1.8GHz mark before greatly surpassing the 2GHz milestone with its successor: the PowerPC 750VXe

that's very nice, haha. I might be going back to an ibook then.

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
this would be perfect for an ultra low cost consumer desktop. IMHO, a headless cube selling for $499 would really turn a lot of people on to Macs that would normally not want to give up their existing monitor, or are just really cheap minded. ;-)

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
So what are we hoping for then, Powerbooks will be due for an update in say 3-5 months, though most say G5 cant be in one till summer at the earliest. So maybe another G4 moto round on the PBs, then summer would bring either the G5 incarnation in PB and 750Vx in iBook or if there is some problem with G5 integration into PB the 750Vx could be swapped into them and the ibooks would have to suffer through another round without much change or use slower chips, memory, and smaller graphics? This doesn't sound to appetixing I dunno about you all I was hoping for a kick ass book to be announced by spring but seems like we could be in for serious length of time with moto still. :(

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Without knowing that specs of these chips, I'll state for the record that I would MUCH rather have one of these 750VX chips in my PB than a G5, assuming power consumption is considerably lower on these chips.

The two most important priorities in a laptop (for me at least) are battery life (and somewhat related, heat) and speed. I think you have to strike a balance between the two. I own a PB because I like the extra power over an iBook and the difference in battery time between the two is negligible IMO.

That said, I am thinking (hoping) that this 750 VX will be more efficient than a G5. If it is considerably more efficient, it will be an excellent mobile processor that can scale up in speed along side the G5 while still maintaining long battery life and low heat. Ideal for a mobile processor.

edit: Let me be the first to say that the Powerbook will see one of these before a G5

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Q3 2004 ? What the hell ? If the chip is ready to go !

Why can't we see this chip earlier in a iBook at 2GHz ? Maybe because the G5 Powerbook is not ready earlier ! And this chip rocks !

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
eMac and iBooks

To me, it makes more sense to put a true G5 into the iMac and the Powerbook. Assume all heat and power issues can be worked out and save the 750VX for eMac and iBooks
The Powerbook and iBook are very close right now and this would seperate them again.
I don't understand why people think of the iMac as a some sort of Low-End consumer machine. $2200 is not a "consumer" PC even if it comes with at 20" LCD monitor built in. The iMac is do for a complete overhaul again soon.
The iMac could be updated early next year with a G5, and the eMac G4 speeded up. Then later in the year same thing with Powerbooks going G5 and iBooks getting the fastest G4's.
Then late next year (Christmas time anyone) low-end eMac's (which I think will go LCD when the iMac gets a new form factor) and iBooks all featuring IBM's *new* G5x (or whatever Apple calls it to drop the G4 moniker completely).

P

paulc

Uh, a "G4" IS a G3 with AltiVec. So this is essentially an IBM G4 chip.

As for G5s in laptops, let's not forget that as they shrink the die sizes/fab process, it will run cooler clock for clock. The 90nm chips shipping at some point will (should) run a lot cooler than the current 130nm ones.

I completely agree, battery life/run time is of paramount importance in a laptop rather than some numbers-speed issue.

BTW, "low cost" or even "ultra low cost" are phrases that one just can not mention in any discussion about our favorite fruit themed company.

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
YES BUT

I am surprized that nobody notices what this release, in case it is true, means.....
if IBM is developping an altivec-enable G3, it implies :
- either Moto gave green light to IBM to do it because they want to stop G4 production
- either Apple really do not want to have anything to do with Moto anymore, and they might use this processor for replacing Moto G4, maybe before starting some legal action against Moto

(once they do not depend on Moto anymore)

But anyway it is cool to see IBM working on developping new processor for Apple

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
hm

i think we have the g4 already. doesn't use much energy, 32bit processing... why would we go back to the g3?
All it could be is the current g3 with altivec. I'd not expect to many structural redesigns of the g3 processor, since if it was a completely new proc, it woudn' feature the same serial number.

2ct

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by paulc
Uh, a "G4" IS a G3 with AltiVec. So this is essentially an IBM G4 chip.

Is this Mojave G3 multi processor compatible?
I mean, will I be able to order a Dual 2.0 GHz Mojave G3 (call it a G4)?
Then maybe Apple can use them in future low-cost Xserves aswell.

singletrack

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Permission

IBM don't need anyone's permission to add Altivec to the 750. As part of the AIM alliance they have the right to implement it.

The other difference between G3 and G4 is the bus and multi-processor support, not just Altivec. The latter two may not be important though if they are only for single processor machines and aren't to be pin compatible with Moto G4 processors or use their bridge chips.

It's not quite a G4 but it sure isn't a G3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.