PDA

View Full Version : The Future is Here. OS X pre-installed

MacRumors
May 21, 2001, 07:11 PM
Apple today announced that it will begin pre-installing Mac® OS X alongside Mac OS 9 on all new Macs® shipping from its factories beginning today, two months ahead of schedule.

So... the future is here. OS X preinstalled on all new macs. Sure, most of us have used/played with OS X... but now OS X's marketshare will begin to grow... unfortunately, OS 9 is still the default os. (baby steps...)

[Edited by Macrumors on 05-21-2001 at 08:31 PM]

garyhoare
May 22, 2001, 01:36 PM
So here's my question:

I ordered an iBook on May 3rd.
It has not been built or shipped yet.
Will it have OS X on it, or did I just miss the boat?

DaSno
May 23, 2001, 05:09 AM
No, you are going to get it, either in the box, or as a software budle, in any case, you'll get it free.

garyhoare
May 23, 2001, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by DaSno
No, you are going to get it, either in the box, or as a software budle, in any case, you'll get it free.
Alright! I was going to buy it later on when I could justify the purchase. Now I don't have to wait, and I can get all the OS X stuff that's still free!
Waiting in line finally paid off.

garyhoare
May 24, 2001, 08:19 AM
Since all macs are going to ship with OS X now, and OS X requires 128MB RAM to run, will all macs now ship with at least 128MB RAM?

blakespot
May 24, 2001, 10:14 AM
That must be the case. Tho...128 still seems low to run OS X. I just upgraded to 512MB (and I've got UltraWide SCSI...and felt the need). 256MB is like $55 now tho.

blakespot