PDA

View Full Version : Am I screwed?

jwt
Jul 2, 2008, 09:08 PM
I photostitched a panorama, at which time I realized that the tripod wasn't level. I really wanted to do a large print of this (it's 40 megapixels). Is there any way of salvaging this shot?

LaJaca
Jul 2, 2008, 09:46 PM
'fraid so; you'd need to do some creative cropping, or split it in half. Screwed? No. Misfortunate? Sure. But still a great pic. What did you use for a lens?

Actually, I think I'm wrong. You may be able to clone the light blue sky in the upper left (someone else: please pitch in on how to get this done) to help square out that corner and allow a better cropping aspect.

Full of Win
Jul 2, 2008, 09:48 PM
Could you clone the mountain side on the right to the open gap on the bottom right corner? I'l admit its not an optimal fix.

r.j.s
Jul 2, 2008, 09:48 PM
That is a lot of cloning, and making a really large print from it - You'd be able to tell, easily.

Abstract
Jul 2, 2008, 10:01 PM
I say 1/3rd of the photo, starting from the very left, looks pretty good. I don't even care for the mountain because of how big the shadow is. I don't like the shadow on the left side either, but it's less distracting.

a104375
Jul 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
you could definitely salvage this but it would either take some innovative cropping or some master cloning of the sky and mountain and I mean master because if it is not almost perfect you will see it when its printed full size

javabear90
Jul 2, 2008, 10:29 PM
just rotate the canvas like so. You might want to do a little bit of cloning, but nothing major.

-Ted

jwt
Jul 2, 2008, 11:03 PM
just rotate the canvas like so. You might want to do a little bit of cloning, but nothing major.

-Ted
I did that originally, but it's obvious that the mesas and the river aren't level.

Is it possible to skew the sky and have it come out looking naturally? Would I be better off shooting the sky again and slip it in behind the mountains in photoshop?

What did you use for a lens?

Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS -- super sharp, highly detailed image, that I hate to throw away.

That is a lot of cloning, and making a really large print from it - You'd be able to tell, easily.
That's what I though, especially because there are a lot of trees in the lower right.

ChrisA
Jul 3, 2008, 12:31 AM
I photostitched a panorama, at which time I realized that the tripod wasn't level. I really wanted to do a large print of this (it's 40 megapixels). Is there any way of salvaging this shot?

You could always bend the image a little, so the horizon is not a straight line. But do that just a little and then, what I'd do is loose 14 to 1/3rd of the right side, clone the sky on the left side to make that corner taller and do the same on the bottom right but only a little and yo might doge the clone job on the right to make it dark and hard to see. I think you could salvage most of the image. I assume you have photoshop or elements.

jwt
Jul 3, 2008, 10:42 AM
I assume you have photoshop or elements.

Photoshop CS3. Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do.

LaJaca
Jul 3, 2008, 10:57 AM
Keep us posted on your result - would love to learn what you did, if it works out.