PDA

View Full Version : How long do you plan to keep your macbook pro or powerbook?

shreyam
Jul 5, 2008, 02:12 AM
Hey guys,

I thought it would be interesting to see how long your going to keep your macbook pro?

I know there's a similar thread in the macbook air section, but it would be interesting to compare the various opinions from this post and the other one. Let me know your opinions.

Cheers

thebassoonist
Jul 5, 2008, 02:13 AM
I hope that it will keep working for 8 more years!

*cross fingers*

BigPrince
Jul 5, 2008, 02:14 AM
I am going to keep this one until a major redesign is done or the macbook air gets a few more ports back.

I have a third generation MBP. I try to go three+ years per machine, but this one will probably be a bit quicker because my job will be buying my next one for me.

heatmiser
Jul 5, 2008, 02:19 AM
I hope that it will keep working for 8 more years!

*cross fingers*

Nice. I've got a Macbook, and am aiming for 7 years, or 84 months. 7 down, 77 to go.

FloEppo
Jul 5, 2008, 02:25 AM
3-5 years

Akira1980
Jul 5, 2008, 02:26 AM
It has been a year, planning to keep it for another two years. So three years total. I only keep it until Applecare runs out.

QuarterSwede
Jul 5, 2008, 02:28 AM
I'm trying to squeeze out one more year out of my beloved 12" PB. It depends on what's out when I start looking as to whether I buy a new MB or a MBP.

Neil321
Jul 5, 2008, 02:32 AM
Till Nehalem is released then it's goodbye MBP hello Mac Pro

gusious
Jul 5, 2008, 02:33 AM
Also here:3-5 years i think will be fine!:)

zflauaus
Jul 5, 2008, 02:43 AM
I just got mine today (love it!) and will keep it for probably three years or so. Possibly longer. I may get additional Macs, but won't replace this anytime soon.

MacGeek7
Jul 5, 2008, 02:45 AM
Until AppleCare runs out or until Blu-Ray becomes standard in  machines... whichever of the two comes first

jjahshik32
Jul 5, 2008, 02:46 AM
hey didnt I start this thread asking this exact same question just a couple weeks ago?!? I guess all mac people think alike!

I'm going to keep my mbp until it dies.

shreyam
Jul 5, 2008, 02:46 AM
just curious, but if a macbook air update came out before a macbook pro update(I know it sounds unlikely, but who knows what stevie is cooking up), wuld you trade in your current macbook pro if the macbook air had more ports, larger storage, more ram, etc.?

sushi
Jul 5, 2008, 02:49 AM
The norm is usually until they die or I need a feature only available on new hardware.

My desktop Mac is 6 plus years old. My old laptop is 4.5 years and I only upgraded to a MBP because I needed to run Windows in addition to the Mac OS.

rlm22b
Jul 5, 2008, 02:50 AM
I plan to keep it forever, it'll probably be my main machine, though, for 3 to 4 years.

mynameisshawn
Jul 5, 2008, 02:55 AM
I used my old crappy Dell for 5-6 years, that Dell had a video card, power supply, monitor, and ethernet port die on me.
I plan on using my MBP for at least 4 years or until I get out of college, whereupon if my financial situation permits I will buy a new computer, probably a Mac desktop.

newbie jnr
Jul 5, 2008, 03:00 AM
Hoping it will last until at least the end of my degree (3.5 more years).

It's likely that i'll keep it until it dies, or can't keep up with my needs.

shreyam
Jul 5, 2008, 03:11 AM
That's interesting, from all of your opinions so far, I can assume that most of you love your macbook pro's for a long time. That's good to see. I think apple would be really pleased having such an awesome customer base.;)

GGJstudios
Jul 5, 2008, 03:14 AM
I usually keep a computer until the point where I start getting frustrated with its lack of performance, then replace it before I'm tempted to throw it through a window. That used to be, on average, about once ever year-to-18-months, when I was buying Dell notebooks. In recent years, that has extended to between 2 and 3 years, since I'm not doing as much heavy-duty database design and administration work. I expect I'll keep this MBP for 3 years or so, but will probably buy another to add to it within the next year.

taylorwilsdon
Jul 5, 2008, 03:47 AM
Wow, I'm a little surprised by the lack of must-have-it gearheads here.

I'll be totally honest and say 3 to 6 months, usually. That's the cycle I've been on for the past 2 years (have had 9; and at least one from every refresh).

In all, it has cost me almost nothing to constantly upgrade. I buy with the education discount brand new sell and sell at a loss of around $100 all things considered. I'm a very heavy user and no current macbook pro is fast enough for me so I eagerly await the next model.

cwedl
Jul 5, 2008, 03:49 AM
I normally keep my Macs for about 3 years, unfortunately I normally replace them every 2 -3 years but i have to make my macbook pro last after buying a house etc I have to try and be more sensible with money.

RealaT
Jul 5, 2008, 04:22 AM
I'll be keeping mine for at least 3 years since I invested in applecare for it.

I think though that i'll have it for a lot longer than that though. Computers don't seem to be making the leaps and bounds that they were ten years ago and i'm sure that it will remain more than capable for many years to come.

alexm13
Jul 5, 2008, 04:29 AM
i've been rockin' my 12" powerbook since 04' its still running strong! I think it will be time to get a mbp either next year or next update. which ever comes first. :)

bern1812
Jul 5, 2008, 01:30 PM
I plan to keep it 4 years through college then probably hand it down to my mom to introduce her to the wonderful world of mac.

UltraNEO*
Jul 5, 2008, 01:41 PM
Currently it's about 12mths old. Still working like it's brand new!
Cosmetically it's perfect, kept every scratch of the case by using some BodyFilm and a Wrist Matt, only place showing signs of wear is the keyboard.

However, i'm planning on upgrading to the hi-res 17" MBP in the next twelve months - the lovely 15" display is getting a little cramped when it comes to using serious applications...

marmiteturkey
Jul 5, 2008, 03:13 PM
five years unless it breaks first or radical new technology (thinner/lighter) comes out.

mongoose8p
Jul 5, 2008, 03:36 PM
when the macbook air gets a HD upgrade in size and hopefully speed and they add a firewire port then illl be switching

joepunk
Jul 5, 2008, 09:00 PM
Would like to get another year out of my PB. I am thinking of getting a MBP and giving the PB to parents/step-sister this year, possibly.

TheJayWay
Jul 6, 2008, 01:21 AM
mines a Rev. A macbook pro, so I've had it about 2 years. I love it, and don't see any reason to upgrade right now. There is also the fact that I have a fair amount of school debt, and don't really want any more debt on my shoulders if I don't need to. I figure if it breaks, yeah I'll probably get a new one, but other than that, I'll keep my baby till the day she dies.

shreyam
Jul 6, 2008, 03:40 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all your opinions. they were great. Anyways, i was a windows(ugh) user and I just recently switched to the great world of mac. I don't think I will ever be able to switch back. I'm glad that all the members of this forum are so supportive.

Cheers

Stinkysteve
Jul 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
I plan on keeping my MBP for at least four years.

My Pismo lasted 4 years until it developed the typical screen problems, and my iBook G4 lasted a little over 4 years and is now being used by the girlfriend.

Apple Ink
Jul 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
Its been a year since I got my latest mac (a MacBook). It works well so I don't see a point in buying another one soon.
But still I'll wait for next year just incase the new MacBooks/Pros/Tablets are really enticing (and have great graphics power!)

Otherwise, like all my macs till date - 4 years!

soLoredd
Jul 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
I bought my MacBook in February 2007 while in school. It's a late 2006 C2D w/ 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. I can see this thing lasting me several more years and I love the flexibility of having a laptop as my main computer.

If anything, I think I will get an iMac as my interest keeps building in photography and video capturing. One of my big reasons for even switching to Mac was how long the Macs were supported and viable. I see people still running iBooks and PowerBooks. Great investment machines, I think.

Shabbis
Jul 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
My first Mac laptop was a PowerBook 520c, it lasted about five years. My next laptop was a PowerBook G4 12", it also lasted about 5 years, although my parents are now using it, so it'll probably go another 2 years.

So my new Penryn MBP 15" will also have a life of around five years.

Amazing just how long Macs are useful.

dcx3
Jul 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
When I bought my iBook 5 yrs ago, the Apple rep told me that itd be a good computer but that a PowerBook G4 would last longer...he hinted that after a few years the iBook would feel outdated. Well...it may not be as super fast and such as a MBP or even a MB - i still love my machine. I havent upgraded anything (except to OS X 10.4) 256mb of ram probably seems really really low compared to new machines!

I am looking to buy a MBP, just because I would really like to have one and my parents want the iBook - i am also looking to do some photo editing and music recording. I dont want to bogg down the iBook with that stuff.

When I do buy - im expecting at least 5+ years out of the MBP. I also have an original clamshell ibook special edition - and it runs like a charm. Apple makes great products.

gravee
Jul 7, 2008, 12:05 AM
i plan on keeping my mbp (getting one in about a week) for long enough untill i feel the urge to throw it at a wall/out a window because of the performance.... or lack thereof. i've heard a mac usually lasts about 3, maybe 4 years so im banking on keeping it about that long :D

jcoop
Jul 7, 2008, 11:01 AM
My MBP is my office computer, and my employer works on a four-year cycle, so I guess I'm planning on keeping it for four years total.

My previous Powerbook G4 (purchased under a different plan) had a quite dim screen after three years. But it was living on borrowed time ever since I spilled coffee on it six months after getting it in 2004. The only problems I ever had were with the backlight for the keyboard and the auto-screen dimmer. I think I used up a good portion of my lifetime supply of luck on that one.

doctoree
Jul 7, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm planning to keep it as long as it works or it's usable.

The performance is good enough even for the Pro Tools

Snow Leopard will use it's GPU to make it even faster and in 1 to 2 years I will include a 1 TB, ultra fast, low power SSD. And sooner or later the first programs will be released with SSE 4 support and the Penryn will show dramatic speedups.

I love it and also the design is close to perfect.

Kirbdog
Jul 7, 2008, 08:04 PM
I currently have 3 and a half years on my 12" PB. It runs as good now as it did the day I got it. Unfortunately I need more machine from time to time. It does show its age when it is hooked up to the big LCD to play videos and movies.

The day it was no longer covered by warranty I threw a 250GB HHD in it, I will roll with it for at least another year till I go back to school. If it was my primary computer I would have upgraded it a year ago. For the most part it gets used for web surfing and as a compact portable. School is always a nice excuse to get a new laptop :D

Wolf04
Jul 7, 2008, 09:16 PM
Well, I am looking into getting a MBP this August before returning to university and since my Toshiba lasted for 5 years, I think a MBP should be able to last me at least 5 years also. Of course if it lasts longer, even better because I won't be in any rush to upgrade. :)

Outsiderdude26
Jul 7, 2008, 09:21 PM
I've had my MBP for almost 2yrs now... I'm thinking of keeping it for another 2-3 years would be ok.

Kyouya
Jul 7, 2008, 09:29 PM
I just purchased a new MacbookPro (my previous one was 1.5 years old, had a little accident and it didn't worth any investment anymore).

I am loving it and it'll probably last a while, until AppleCare ends.

viggen61
Jul 7, 2008, 09:34 PM
I'll keep my MBP until it either can't get the job done, or there is something so new and revolutionary I just have to have it. I've had my Pismo for 7 years...

:apple::apple:

EvryDayImShufln
Jul 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
Mine is 1 day old. I hope it'll last me until September or October, whenever the new MBPs are released lol.

wgilles
Jul 8, 2008, 08:34 AM
I got my new one in March and hope to keep it until my Apple Care runs out...then I'll probably just get a new one. That is, unless a new MBP comes out and I have the money to get it!

Melrose
Jul 8, 2008, 09:01 AM
I bought it in December, and plan on keeping the youthful thing until he's old and gray. We're talkin' ten years or so. He'll last.

HengenJL
Jul 8, 2008, 10:16 AM
My PowerBook G4 is going to be 4 years old in November and it still runs fine. The only thing I need to do is get a 2nd 1GB stick of RAM to max out the memory at 2GB. I plan on keeping this until it dies. Though Apple's products tend to last forever, I have an extremely old Apple laptop think its called a Duo or something along those lines and that still runs as well.

Though I will admit I'm extremely tempted to try and build myself a Hackintosh desktop machine....

wrldwzrd89
Jul 8, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm hoping 3-5 years for my MacBook Pro. It's served me well since I bought it.

tom burns
Jul 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
I have a powerbook for 4 years now and i'm gonna keep it until my screen completely dies. I hope my iMac will last as long.
In general, i think you can use them forever if they still work.
Just change the nature of work for each machine maybe...:o

erikistired
Jul 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
i'll probably use my mbp another year or two, then upgrade. i have the 2.33 with the ati x1600, which is fine, but i'd like a little more video horsepower. maybe when apple goes back to ati again.

or when that 12" mbp comes out!!! haha.

txcdcky
Jul 8, 2008, 11:57 AM
Probably another five years, or until I've finished getting my bachelors. I won't be starting school until this fall, and purchased my MBP in February, so I hope it lasts me so long.

shreyam
Jul 8, 2008, 06:52 PM
Again, thanks for all the opinions guys, I really appreciate them.