PDA

View Full Version : 16 core Mac Pros

GoKyu
Jul 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
Disclaimer: Before I start, what I'm about to say is probably 2nd hand knowledge, and even I'm a little skeptical about the source, so take this as a rumor and *NOT* as fact.

When I was at work yesterday (retail), a guy came in and told me he needed a new UPS for his Mac. I asked what kind he had, and he said it was a brand new 16 core Mac Pro, which just came out in the past week.

I immediately went to Apple's website to check, and of course there was no mention of any kind of 16 core Mac Pro. I asked him about it and he said that he works for Atlantic (the recording studio), and that the big name places like those usually get offered higher end systems earlier than consumers.

I'm still a little skeptical, but he sounded pretty believable. I'm sure Apple would've been working on higher end systems, although I thought maybe a 12 core was coming next, not a huge jump to 16.

Take it for what it's worth, sounds pretty cool though :D:apple:

-Bryan

CWallace
Jul 8, 2008, 11:52 PM
Intel is not planning 16-core CPUs until 2010 at the earliest, based on the roadmaps I have seen at IDF and other shows. I don't believe they even have Engineering Samples available.

The Nehalem line will eventually offer a 16-core option, but the currently planned ones are four and eight cores. Now, Nehalems do support HyperThreading, so an 8-core (or twin 4-core) Nehalem system can execute 16 threads.

I expect Apple to move the Mac Pro to Gainestown, which will be available in a four-core package. So two of those would execute 16-threads. So perhaps this fellow, if he really has an engineering sample Nehalem Mac Pro, would be confusing the 16 threads with 16 cores.

GoKyu
Jul 9, 2008, 12:26 AM
Maybe that's what he meant...I would think a 16 core machine would *have* to be physically larger (to some extent) to house the extra processors and heatsinks...

dchao
Jul 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
Maybe that's what he meant...I would think a 16 core machine would *have* to be physically larger (to some extent) to house the extra processors and heatsinks...

If this guy really had a 16-core MP, he would be under NDA. Why would he want to risk lossing his NDA status by telling you and let you go and tell the world, that's beyond me.

edesignuk
Jul 9, 2008, 02:25 AM
It's horse ****, no way he has a 16-core MP. Bloody recording industry, full of crap :p

zmttoxics
Jul 9, 2008, 05:44 AM
I wonder though. It was probably just 2 8 core xserves really close together so they looked 1 mac. :D

sash
Jul 9, 2008, 07:24 AM
Just showing off, I think.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/intels-6-core-dunnington-coming-in-2008-nehalem-official/

sash

CWallace
Jul 9, 2008, 09:13 AM
Dunnington will not work with the Mac Pro, however, due to physical, electrical and chipset issues.