PDA

View Full Version : Marketer of the Year: Apple

MacRumors
Dec 15, 2003, 10:47 AM
AdAge names Apple their 2003 Marketer of the Year (http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39387).

[Apple] has achieved incredible levels of brand loyalty and created an army of evangelist users not because of its great advertising -- though certainly its print and TV work was among the best in 2003 -- but because it focuses, in everything it does, on the consumer.

The article provides perspective from Lee Clow, chairman of Omnicom Group's TBWA Worldwide on Apple's marketing and his experience with Steve Jobs.

Every week, Jobs meets the agency which brings new marketing/campaign ideas. These sessions reportedly saw the birth of Apple's recent colorful iPod ads despite some heated discussion at the departure from Apple's traditional white-based ads.

Clow also provides some unsurprising insight into Jobs' personality:

While Apple has secured cult status, Mr. Clow notes Mr. Jobs has a competitive streak and is unlikely to be satisfied being the computer world's equivalent of Mercedes.

MattG
Dec 15, 2003, 10:49 AM
Way to go Steve!

jayscheuerle
Dec 15, 2003, 10:59 AM
It's too bad their products don't live up to their hype...

arn
Dec 15, 2003, 11:09 AM
I find it funny that Apple is "Marketer of the year"... in Apple' past, they have been very much not been great marketers.

arn

Powerbook G5
Dec 15, 2003, 11:13 AM
I found it odd, also, but hey, go Apple.

jayscheuerle
Dec 15, 2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by arn
I find it funny that Apple is "Marketer of the year"... in Apple' past, they have been very much not been great marketers.

arn

What's ironic is that Apple has long had stylish and memorable marketing/advertising campaigns, but until they came up with a cross-platform product & service (iPod & ITMS), they've never been considered effective.

Maybe marketing a great cross-platform product was all Apple needed to do to get the "other 95%" to take a serious look at them...

pgwalsh
Dec 15, 2003, 11:23 AM
So the last paragraph said The history of Apple is a long, complicated business story with a lot of mistakes made," particularly the decision to stick with a proprietary system for PCs that resulted in Microsoft's dominance, Mr. Clow says. "We won't make the same mistake." They wont make the same mistake using proprietary hardware... Is that a statement regarding the iPod, the computer line or the company as a whole? Seems like they haven't changed strategy yet... The statement appears targeted towards Apples computer line. Does this mean there's a surprise in the pipeline?

cuggles
Dec 15, 2003, 12:02 PM
Apart from it's international consumers and any level of good customer service!

The marketing has been great, but perhaps overseas Apple is a victim of it's own success..... We suffer from NOTHING being done for the consumer..

Stephen
(Disgruntled apple fan and owner in the UK)

iJon
Dec 15, 2003, 01:06 PM
man i bet apple is loving this, they cant even keep up with ipod orders. i dont think ive read one bad thing from critics this holiday season about apple.

iJon

winmacguy
Dec 15, 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
It's too bad their products don't live up to their hype...

mmm sounds like Microsoft comment/product ;)

winmacguy
Dec 15, 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by cuggles
Apart from it's international consumers and any level of good customer service!

The marketing has been great, but perhaps overseas Apple is a victim of it's own success..... We suffer from NOTHING being done for the consumer..

Stephen
(Disgruntled apple fan and owner in the UK)

Id have to say that things a fairly similar down here too, although Apple(via our local authorised importer/reseller agent) seems to have a had a fairly low key build up to selling the iPod, with the iPod ads on the music channel, iPod give away with the morning crew on the main raidio station in amongst PS2 stuff but no buses done out with the iPod posters or Bilboards or major TV ads. Might be something about a small 4 million population base and being at the bottom of the world that we dont appear on anyones radar- (not counting Lord of The Rings!)

Powerbook G5
Dec 15, 2003, 01:43 PM
Apple in general doesn't advertise that much in general public. Even here in the states you don't see Apple ads on buses or out on billboards. They generally go for more subtle places like magazine ads, a few commercials, and online ads.

jayscheuerle
Dec 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy
mmm sounds like Microsoft comment/product ;)

Apple promises the Moon and delivers a mountain.

Microsoft promises a hill, which they see as bigger than a mountain, and delivers a steaming turd.

jayscheuerle
Dec 15, 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Apple in general doesn't advertise that much in general public. Even here in the states you don't see Apple ads on buses or out on billboards. They generally go for more subtle places like magazine ads, a few commercials, and online ads.

You're nuts! Every 5th bus in Philly has a giant iPod ad on the side of it. I don't see many on billboards, but they're on the bus stops as well.

Wassupwitdat? :p

Powerbook G5
Dec 15, 2003, 01:50 PM
Maybe it's a regional thing, I have never seen Apple ads besides on Cnet, once in a while on tv, and maybe a magazine page or two.

pbooktebo
Dec 15, 2003, 01:56 PM
There are also tons of Apple Ads here in San Francisco. I remember seeing a pink iTunes/iPod billboard before I had heard about that campaign, just before getting onto the Bay Bridge. It was a sunny day and looked beautiful.

They're on buses, billboards, posters, etc.

Must be regional, maybe confined to urban metropolis settings.

polyesterlester
Dec 15, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by pbooktebo
There are also tons of Apple Ads here in San Francisco. I remember seeing a pink iTunes/iPod billboard before I had heard about that campaign, just before getting onto the Bay Bridge. It was a sunny day and looked beautiful.

They're on buses, billboards, posters, etc.

Must be regional, maybe confined to urban metropolis settings.

There's even iPod ads on buses here in the small town of Puyallup, WA. I was really surprised when I saw them.

Powerbook G5
Dec 15, 2003, 02:10 PM
Perhaps I need to get out more often, heh.

iPC
Dec 15, 2003, 02:32 PM
Go to NYC. The ads are all over the place. Bus stops, subway stations, etc.

Powerbook G5
Dec 15, 2003, 02:36 PM
I haven't been to a major city outside of Florida besides Newark, NJ in the past year. I guess I'll have to take a trip to New York or California (haven't been to either places ever). I just rarely see any Apple ads besides in magazines and online and an iTunes commercial a couple of weeks ago.

elo
Dec 15, 2003, 06:04 PM
Last summer, every single bus stop in Manhattan had a Switch ad on it. You've never seen so much advertising from a single company in your life. If you were in NYC then, you'd swear Apple ran the planet.

elo

legion
Dec 15, 2003, 06:55 PM

You do in Los Angeles! (6 billboards for Apple are within 1 sq mile from where I work in Santa Monica, CA)

ogun7
Dec 15, 2003, 10:05 PM

I have to disagree.
Apple has very strategic and targeted advertising. Here in NYC there's always billboards advertising Apple's latest product but they are placed only in certain areas. Hell, before MacWorld, (IDG sucks!!!) they even pasted bills with the G5 logo on a dark backgroung all over midtown, SoHo, the Village, (sorry, Greenwich Village for out-of-towners) and the Chelsea.
I have always found Apple to have a very specific audience to whom they advertise.

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 10:45 PM
it's too bad that Apple's advertising in ireland is so bad, I hardly ever see any of them!!!

there were a few knocking about when the new imac came out... but there hasn't been one for iPod OR the G5 AFAIK.

The top advertiser in Ireland has the be Guiness, they put out some really really SHWEET ads.

jpmack
Dec 15, 2003, 10:46 PM
"Apple's elegant Macintosh G4 Titanium laptops are status symbols among students as well as professionals in the entertainment and media industries"

...under a picture of an Al Book.

But heck, any press is good press.

iChan
Dec 15, 2003, 10:56 PM
i actually noticed that too... quite a job these people have, writing article with little to no research... I mean, isn't it clear that the material on the PB is aluminium and not titanium... duh!

Wendy_Rebecca
Dec 16, 2003, 08:06 AM
From the article:

"The history of Apple is a long, complicated business story with a lot of mistakes made," particularly the decision to stick with a proprietary system for PCs that resulted in Microsoft's dominance, Mr. Clow says. "We won't make the same mistake."

Ahem. Right. Apple's insistence on using AAC only for the iTMS will be seen in the long run as a huge mistake. WM9 should be an option. As the great one said himself, "Options are good".

mchandler
Dec 17, 2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Apple promises the Moon and delivers a mountain.

Microsoft promises a hill, which they see as bigger than a mountain, and delivers a steaming turd.

I predict there will be a change with the release of Longhorn. Microsoft will then be delivering steaming cow-chips.

RegnadKcin
Dec 18, 2003, 11:11 PM
Apple ads are completely concentrated in major metropolitan areas. They have a small budget and spend it all in the big cities.

I'm amazed that they would be considered 'marketer of the year' when they have nice ads and declining market share. Wasn't their share of the PC market about 5.5% when 'Think Different' came out? Isn't it about 2.7% now?

Marketing is more than cool ads. It's selling something.

I'll always have a Mac and just bought a 1.25 AlBook tonight, but we die-hard fans can't support Apple alone. We need a million 'switchers' every year.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 11:13 PM
The last I heard, Apple has been red hot with sales this year.

RegnadKcin
Dec 18, 2003, 11:34 PM
'Red hot' sounds nice, but the last numbers I saw on cpu shipments weren't impressive at all.

iPods are doing well, and the Music Store is too, but there's no significant net income in music sales.

Anyone have independent market research or analyst's estimate of market share?

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 11:42 PM
The last I knew, the PowerMac sales have been higher than they have been in over a year, PowerBooks have been selling in record numbers, iPods are just as in demand as always, and with updated iBooks, I am sure there is a healthy number of sales with them as well. It seems that Apple is doing pretty good business with all aspects of their product families.

RegnadKcin
Dec 19, 2003, 11:39 AM
The only independent reseach I can lay my hands on is for Europe, where PowerBooks were up 14% or so and desktops were down 30% or so, netting no net gain in revenue.

We can't assume North America or Asia are similar, however.