PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Creates World's Smallest Hard Drive

MacRumors
Dec 15, 2003, 11:10 AM
NikkeiBP reports (http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/wcs/leaf?CID=onair/asabt/news/281695) that Toshiba has developed the"world's smallest hard-disk drive" at 0.85 inches in diameter.

Previously, Hitatchi's 1-inch hard drive held the record. The upcoming Toshiba drive will have a storage capacity of 2-3GB and is expected to cost around 30,000 yen (~$278 US dollars) initially, but dropping down to 10,000 (~$92) yen in a few years.

The drive is also not expected to reach full production until early 2005. This, combined with the cost of each unit, seems to make this drive an unlikely candidate for the rumored "low end" iPods (http://page2.macrumors.com/).

gola
Dec 15, 2003, 11:20 AM
too small for ipod use for many years still probably....

coumerelli
Dec 15, 2003, 11:20 AM
Wow pretty soon they'll be talking nm DRIVES, not just processors, huh?

tyson12zoll
Dec 15, 2003, 11:25 AM
IBM microdrives don't count? Or are they bigger?

pcharles
Dec 15, 2003, 11:26 AM
It is not clear to me at the moment what purpose a hard drive of this size will serve when it is already out-gunned by smaller and soon to be cheaper flash drives.

No moving parts has to be better, so I think Apple should look to Flash for an ultralight iPOD.

AirUncleP
Dec 15, 2003, 11:34 AM
Smaller drives equals smaller iPods. I know some might say, " How much smaller does it need to be?" Answer: Build it and they will come.

Photorun
Dec 15, 2003, 11:42 AM
Cool, 10,000 songs in your ear canal! Hope it comes with a remote!

killmoms
Dec 15, 2003, 11:49 AM
Let IBM finish their work on molecular semi-conductors and soon the Apple iPod will be capable of carrying "10,000 years of human knowledge in your pocket." :p

--Cless

reyesmac
Dec 15, 2003, 12:18 PM
Cool, in about 5 years the iPod will truly become a consumer (under $100) product ushering in a ..... oh yeah, by then, nobody will care.

I think they will have figured out a way to make the thing cheaper by then anyway. I say by next christmas.

achmafooma
Dec 15, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by tyson12zoll
IBM microdrives don't count? Or are they bigger?
I was wondering about this... aren't the IBM Microdrives actual hard drives, in a casing about the same size as a compact flash card? That's a lot smaller than 1".

Haven't heard much about them lately though... and never paid much attention to them when I used to see & hear talk about them.

I'm probably missing some very important point about why the Microdrives are in a different category :-) but this sprung to mind when I saw the "world's smallest hard drive" statement.

Mr.Hey
Dec 15, 2003, 12:47 PM
;)

arn
Dec 15, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by achmafooma
I was wondering about this... aren't the IBM Microdrives actual hard drives, in a casing about the same size as a compact flash card? That's a lot smaller than 1".

Haven't heard much about them lately though... and never paid much attention to them when I used to see & hear talk about them.

I'm probably missing some very important point about why the Microdrives are in a different category :-) but this sprung to mind when I saw the "world's smallest hard drive" statement.

If I recall correctly...Hiatchi bought the IBM Microdrive technology. They (the microdrives) are the 1" drives referenced in the article. So, these new toshiba drives are smaller.

arn

ITR 81
Dec 15, 2003, 01:13 PM
The problem I have with this rumor is the date. Most rumors site 04' as being the yr Toshiba releases this HD.

Also it's highly likely if Apple did buy million or so or HD's it got a price around $90 or less per iPod.

arn
Dec 15, 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
The problem I have with this rumor is the date. Most rumors site 04' as being the yr Toshiba releases this HD.

Also it's highly likely if Apple did buy million or so or HD's it got a price around $90 or less per iPod.

All the rumors don't have to be referencing this particular drive.

arn

uv23
Dec 15, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by pcharles
It is not clear to me at the moment what purpose a hard drive of this size will serve when it is already out-gunned by smaller and soon to be cheaper flash drives.

No moving parts has to be better, so I think Apple should look to Flash for an ultralight iPOD.
My thoughts exactly. When you're talking about such small storage capacity I honestly don't see the point. A solid state solution with no moving parts is superior in every respect. C'mon, lets see those 20gb flash cards.

achmafooma
Dec 15, 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by arn
If I recall correctly...Hiatchi bought the IBM Microdrive technology. They (the microdrives) are the 1" drives referenced in the article. So, these new toshiba drives are smaller.

arn
That would explain it! Thanks for the info, Arn... informative as always!

stingerman
Dec 15, 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by achmafooma
That would explain it! Thanks for the info, Arn... informative as always!

If iPod sales hit a million/month. Apple will not jeopardize the product by significantly changing the pricing or the design.

I have a feeling iPod sales will break a million this quarter.

nighthawk
Dec 15, 2003, 02:43 PM
The 1" IBM Microdrive (now Hiatchi) comes in 170mb, 340mb, 512mb, 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB sizes.

I have been thinking about getting the 1GB one for my digital camera - which is street price $150. There is also a competitor to Hiatchi who produces a larger drive - the MagicStor 2.2GB Microdrive which is going for about $199 street price.

Either way, the Microdrive is already cheaper and faster than Compact Flash.

While this news about Toshiba is good, and eventually means that the Microdrive format will go down considerably, it is almost irrelvant. Toshiba is not even going to start shipping samples to manufactures until SUMMER 2004.

If Apple does release a mini-iPod this January, I think that it would have a Compact Flash Type I & II slot to allow flexible (and upgradable) user defined sizes. It could ship with a 340mb or larger Microdrive.

I found this retailer selling the 340 mb for $50, so it is possible could get a better price for them:

http://www.hypermicro.com/

At $50, that is cheaper than the brand name 256 Flash which is being sold for $70 at most retail stores and online.

At this price, Apple could sell the mini-iPod starting at around $175. However, I think if Apple was intending to release this particular product, they would have done it *before* Christmas to get all of the holiday shoppers.

If they do release it by January, Toshibas sub-one-inch drives will *not* be included, but they could be added as an upgrade for the future.

Abstract
Dec 15, 2003, 04:33 PM
Only 2-3 GB?!! So basically, this article is telling us that Hitachi has managed to build a small harddrive with a smaller carrying capacity. What's the point? Wasn't that common sense anyway?

Maybe Hitachi should "develop" a 0.4" HD, but with a capacity of 500MB. Sweet!!

warcraftmaster
Dec 15, 2003, 06:23 PM
what is up wit you guys and gay flash it SUCKS tthat is all to it it cost 1000 doller for there best there slow as hell
my ipod does like 2 song a sec in to it
flash does 2 song a damm min
plus they can only be used 1 million times
that my sound like a lots but it not. i will still be using my in a years from now

Hemingray
Dec 15, 2003, 06:44 PM
Diameter? I'm assuming they must mean thickness or height... otherwise, diameter seems to imply that the actual hard disk platters are 0.85" in diameter!

Edit: Nevermind, they DO mean 0.85" in diameter! Wow. :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/12/16/toshiba.tinydisk.ap/index.html

pcharles
Dec 15, 2003, 10:43 PM
Could someone please translate this into English?

Originally posted by warcraftmaster
what is up wit you guys and gay flash it SUCKS tthat is all to it it cost 1000 doller for there best there slow as hell
my ipod does like 2 song a sec in to it
flash does 2 song a damm min
plus they can only be used 1 million times
that my sound like a lots but it not. i will still be using my in a years from now

edStar
Dec 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
I think he hates flash. I'm not sure...

I agree with most of the comments that this is sort of a frugal innovation. But, I'll probably eat my hat when they find some fantastic way to integrate it into a product.

Raid
Dec 18, 2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Smaller drives equals smaller iPods. I know some might say, " How much smaller does it need to be?" Answer: Build it and they will come.

I don't know about building the iPod smaller, IMHO it's plenty small as it is. How about cramming more battery in there?

pcharles
Dec 18, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Raid
I don't know about building the iPod smaller, IMHO it's plenty small as it is. How about cramming more battery in there?

Most definitely. If they can make the drive smaller and the battery better, I'd buy another. I have the 30GB now and have over 60GB of music. In the end, I really cant listen to all 60GB, so I am questioning the logic of larger drives without extra battery.

My ideal would be 10-20 GB of storage and at least 24 hours of battery. That way a trip to Australia would be possible.

Raid
Dec 19, 2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by pcharles
My ideal would be 10-20 GB of storage and at least 24 hours of battery. That way a trip to Australia would be possible.

That's a one heck of a battery! Well I guess it beats sitting in the bathroom on the plane for 3 hours to charge your iPod using the 'shaver' socket! ;) I just wish they had sockets in the arm rest for laptops and the like. Then I could bring a dvd and skip some of the god awful movies they show on the flight... (i.e. Britney Spears in the movie Crossroads... yuck :( )

pcharles
Dec 19, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Raid
That's a one heck of a battery! Well I guess it beats sitting in the bathroom on the plane for 3 hours to charge your iPod using the 'shaver' socket! ;) I just wish they had sockets in the arm rest for laptops and the like. Then I could bring a dvd and skip some of the god awful movies they show on the flight... (i.e. Britney Spears in the movie Crossroads... yuck :( )

Actually, some of the newer non-ipod systems are claiming upto 18 hours battery. Whether it is true remains to be seen, but the drop in battery life from the first generation to latest ipods was not a good move on Apples part. The iPod was small enough anyway, I dont need a smaller one, I need longer battery life.