PDA

View Full Version : Apple REMOTE app does control AppleTV (Music Only)

mooty
Jul 10, 2008, 04:49 AM
Yepp Great news, wish it controlled everything though...

Remote application allows your iPhone or iPod Touch to control iTunes and AppleTV.

More: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284417350&mt=8
:cool::cool:

Phil A.
Jul 10, 2008, 05:54 AM
It controls TV shows and Movies on my Mac, so I can't see any reason why it won't do the same on Apple TV. I'm just downloading the ATV update at the moment, so I'll know shortly ;)

mooty
Jul 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
It controls TV shows and Movies on my Mac, so I can't see any reason why it won't do the same on Apple TV. I'm just downloading the ATV update at the moment, so I'll know shortly ;)

GREAT!! That will be awesome if its a "catch all"...

Phil A.
Jul 10, 2008, 06:07 AM
Woo Hoo!
It does control Movies and TV shows as well as music (just select the more icon from the toolbar on the iPhone) :D
The only thing it doesn't control is photos and ATV settings from what I can see

refulgentis
Jul 10, 2008, 06:11 AM
How do you know? Using the 2.0 dev beta?

Phil A.
Jul 10, 2008, 06:29 AM
How do you know? Using the 2.0 dev beta?

I'm not allowed to say ;)

JonHimself
Jul 10, 2008, 07:56 AM
This is exciting, I can't wait to get 2.0 and the app to try it out.

Can you post pics of what the app looks like when controlling movies and/or music or are you not allowed to do that either?

I have to assume its better than using Telekinesis to control my iTunes.. which uses AirTunes to play through my apple tv... haha

11thIndian
Jul 10, 2008, 08:13 AM
Any chance of using the iPhone keyboard to input text in search fields?

JonHimself
Jul 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
Any chance of using the iPhone keyboard to input text in search fields?

That would be incredible.. especially for YouTube... or maybe even to use a web-browser (if they ever add that, officially...)

flyingscott
Jul 10, 2008, 08:35 AM
or if you use the ATVFlash... they have a web browser which is next to useless without a keyboard... I could really impress my friends if my iPhone could control my ATV!

:D

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
Gah. I wish I wasn't at work so I could play with this stuff.

Lexoticstylez02
Jul 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Gah. I wish I wasn't at work so I could play with this stuff.

You're not alone :(

Cave Man
Jul 10, 2008, 10:44 AM

Does it use 802.11 or bluetooth? I'm curious to know if the ATV/BT rumors are true...

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 10, 2008, 10:48 AM
Does it use 802.11 or bluetooth? I'm curious to know if the ATV/BT rumors are true...

According to the documentation, you have to be on the same network, so I'm thinking that means 802.11

Cave Man
Jul 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Sounds right to me. I think that pretty much settles it: the ATV does not have a BT module.

MacLov1n
Jul 10, 2008, 11:23 AM
... "Remote works with your Wi-Fi network, so you can control playback from anywhere in and around your home"..... taken out of the App Store

btw: Patchstick Take2 works with 2.1

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 12:05 PM
It works over wi-fi, not bluetooth.

Controls any media on the ATV (music, video, podcasts).

Search uses the iPhone keyboard to search the ATV. (for content on the ATV)

I can't see any way to search/access YouTube.

Remote.ipa is amazing. :)

uva25
Jul 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
It works over wi-fi, not bluetooth.

Controls any media on the ATV (music, video, podcasts).

Search uses the iPhone keyboard to search the ATV. (for content on the ATV)

I can't see any way to search/access YouTube.

Remote.ipa is amazing. :)

What shows up on the Iphone screen when you are searching? Album art, etc.

sandman42
Jul 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sounds right to me. I think that pretty much settles it: the ATV does not have a BT module.

Neither does the iPod Touch, which can also run the remote app.

JonHimself
Jul 10, 2008, 12:43 PM

Yeah can anyone post pics of what is displayed on the iPhone while searching, playing, etc (all of the different things you can do)?

matneh
Jul 10, 2008, 01:49 PM
They are also discussing this in the other topic:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515157&page=2

Check out the video hands-on:
http://gizmodo.com/5023755/first-itunes-remote-app-for-iphone-hands+on

bbotte
Jul 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
My remote on my iPhone does not let me control rented HD movies. :mad:

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 02:12 PM

From another site (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/10/visual_preview_of_top_10_free_iphone_applications.html):

http://images.appleinsider.com/iphoneapp1.gif

BobF4321
Jul 10, 2008, 02:20 PM
... "Remote works with your Wi-Fi network, so you can control playback from anywhere in and around your home"..... taken out of the App Store

I assume that it should work over ethernet also (via wifi access point)....

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
I assume that it should work over ethernet also (via wifi access point)....

I understand that it's using a bonjour framework -- so as long as the iPhone/Touch is on the same network (wired/wireless/what-have-you) as iTunes/ATV, it will work just fine. It's an awful lot like AirTunes, actually.

ipedro
Jul 10, 2008, 03:42 PM
I've noticed that the Remote App has a volume control, however, I've only seen it in action with iTunes. Do we finally get to control our :apple:TV's volume with a remote? Can I finally ditch my tv remote which I only use for the volume?

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
I've noticed that the Remote App has a volume control, however, I've only seen it in action with iTunes. Do we finally get to control our :apple:TV's volume with a remote? Can I finally ditch my tv remote which I only use for the volume?

No. The volume control on the iPhone is grayed out when playing content on the AppleTV. You'll still have to control the volume there with your TV or receiver remote.

ipedro
Jul 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
^ fork :(

Seriously... Apple gives you this super simple and small remote, yet you have to keep your TV remote with a gajillion buttons around just so you can control the volume. *sigh*

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 04:28 PM
I know. And to think, when I was a kid, I had to change the 7 available channels and the volume on my TV by walking across the room. Unreal. ;)

ipedro
Jul 10, 2008, 04:40 PM
I know. And to think, when I was a kid, I had to change the 7 available channels and the volume on my TV by walking across the room. Unreal. ;)

Which is mostly what I do now... When I want to vegetate on the couch watching podcasts or YouTube, some of the content had louder volume than the others so I have to keep this big remote with me, which kind of defeats the purpose of the simple Apple remote.

I think I should give up on Apple ever providing volume control on the :apple:TV so I'll go with plan B:

When I install my next sound system, I'll get a dial/knob volume controller built into the wall near the couch or on the coffee table.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k90/crunchgear/October%202006/powermate.jpg

jpruitt
Jul 10, 2008, 04:41 PM
^ fork :(

Seriously... Apple gives you this super simple and small remote, yet you have to keep your TV remote with a gajillion buttons around just so you can control the volume. *sigh*

There is an App on the Apps store that will allow you to control your TV, Lights, A/C, etc... So you can probably go ahead and get rid of the remote if you want. You'll just have to switch screens. Then again, that other App may allow you to work with the AppleTV

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
There is an App on the Apps store that will allow you to control your TV, Lights, A/C, etc... So you can probably go ahead and get rid of the remote if you want. You'll just have to switch screens. Then again, that other App may allow you to work with the AppleTV

Whoa! I'll have to track down that app! How does it work with no IR from the iPhone?

jpruitt
Jul 10, 2008, 07:05 PM
Whoa! I'll have to track down that app! How does it work with no IR from the iPhone?

Not entirely sure... I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I get the phone in my hands. The name of the App is iLoveControl.

gadabout
Jul 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
the appletv is not an amplifier. it does not have controllable volume. it probably never will.

Akira1980
Jul 10, 2008, 08:23 PM
OMG!! Best remote ever!

It is so much easier with iPhone! Just think if we could control our cable box like this. See all the TV listing on the iPhone and just touch to change the channel!!

jpruitt
Jul 10, 2008, 08:39 PM
OMG!! Best remote ever!

It is so much easier with iPhone! Just think if we could control our cable box like this. See all the TV listing on the iPhone and just touch to change the channel!!

again, check out iLoveControl (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284829392&mt=8)

GeekLawyer
Jul 10, 2008, 08:43 PM
again, check out iLoveControl (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284829392&mt=8)

Ahhh... now I see. You have to get some other devices to intermediate between the app and the various components. It's not quite as seamless as the Remote.ipa, but it's very cool...

liquidh2o
Jul 10, 2008, 08:59 PM
nice! Making me even more thankful I have an appletv :)

Billy Boo Bob
Jul 11, 2008, 03:47 AM
the appletv is not an amplifier. it does not have controllable volume. it probably never will.

I'm sure they could attenuate the volume somehow before going out. Just have it where ATV's max is whatever the TV is set at.

I agree about what a drag it is not being able to control the volume with the small remote (or now this new app).

ssj2goha
Jul 11, 2008, 07:10 AM
If remote control allows you select different audio / subtitle tracks on the videos that have them?

I ask because I have alot of anime that has both subtitles and both audio tracks

jonnyb
Jul 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
When I go to add an iPhone remote (I have updated my Apple TV, by the way) the option is greyed out . Have I missed something?

GeekLawyer
Jul 11, 2008, 09:12 AM
When I go to add an iPhone remote (I have updated my Apple TV, by the way) the option is greyed out . Have I missed something?

I think you have to begin the process within the Remote app on the iPhone.

durazine
Jul 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
it would be great for those of us without an ipod touch our iphone to be able to use their macBook as a remote for the Apple Tv. If they can get it to work on a hand held why not a mac?

ibglowin
Jul 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
Doesn't seem to work if you stream your content to your :apple:TV.
Only if you sync.

Alrescha
Jul 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
Doesn't seem to work if you stream your content to your :apple:TV.
Only if you sync.

What are you talking about? I only stream, and the remote works fine with music, movies, tv, podcasts, etc.

A.

ibglowin
Jul 11, 2008, 07:44 PM
I only stream as well. Nothing shows up on the iphone for anything. No music, no videos. Nothing. Since nothing actually resides on the :apple:TV nothing is showing up in any playlist.

Let me know if I have missed some setting on the remote app but its not seeing anything and i have my :apple:TV working fine and paired to the new iPhone app.

What are you talking about? I only stream, and the remote works fine with music, movies, tv, podcasts, etc.

A.

ihabime
Jul 11, 2008, 08:34 PM

It seems like is a bit different than people think, it's one of the top ten paid apps, but it's not just a simple remote, it sounds like there's a fair amount of custom integration required. The devices all need to be IP enabled and have control code written for them. You might be able to get it to control your AppleTV or Mac, but it'll take some programming.

The components they mention, crestron and amx, are used in very high end custom theater setups, the kind of things that make 50" HDTVs look cheap.

Shoesy
Jul 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
I only stream as well. Nothing shows up on the iphone for anything. No music, no videos. Nothing. Since nothing actually resides on the :apple:TV nothing is showing up in any playlist.

Let me know if I have missed some setting on the remote app but its not seeing anything and i have my :apple:TV working fine and paired to the new iPhone app.

Works fine with my streaming set-up... weird.

Some things which are a little sucky about it tho:

:apple: fast forward / rewind hard to control (like with atv v1)
:apple: tv shows arn't split into series in the menus
:apple: volume control still doesn't work (really no reason for it not to- my cable remote has volume- whats the diff?)
:apple: No navigating menus / store
:apple: Can't set ratings for atv like you can for itunes

Minor quibbles really, but I'm not putting my tiny white remote away yet!

Alrescha
Jul 11, 2008, 09:21 PM
Let me know if I have missed some setting on the remote app but its not seeing anything and i have my TV working fine and paired to the new iPhone app.

I didn't do anything special. I upgraded my ATV this afternoon, navigated to remotes, picked up my iPhone and started the Remote app and that enabled the pairing process.

At first I was disappointed as it appeared that only music was supported (consistent with the advert), but I found everything else under the 'More...' menu.

Just to confirm, I have nothing synced except a little album of pictures for the screen saver.

A.

JW008
Jul 11, 2008, 09:43 PM

:apple: fast forward / rewind hard to control (like with atv v1)

It was tough for me to control using the rewind and fast forward "buttons." But using the scrubbing bar is amazingly easy.

mcdj
Jul 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Anyone else getting blank album art on the iPhone screen? When I play a track, it starts off blank, but if I tap the "back" arrow, then "now playing", the album art shows up.

harpoon
Jul 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
I wish the iPhone worked on 802.11n, I have to switch my aTV to a g network (or something in 2.4 GHz that my iPhone can pick up) to use the remote which sucks.

Alith
Jul 12, 2008, 06:15 AM
Works fine with my streaming set-up... weird.

:apple: tv shows arn't split into series in the menus

Minor quibbles really, but I'm not putting my tiny white remote away yet!

This is why I came to this forum. I found that on mine, the shows that I had handbroken from DVD were organised alphabetically and the ones I had purchased from iTunes were organised properly, by episode and season.

Any ideas? I'm sure it's just a tagging issue but I can't think which value I haven't tagged properly. Everything is organised by series and episode in itunes and on appletv usually.

ibglowin
Jul 12, 2008, 07:34 AM
I tried deleting the iphone from the remote list and then generated another device code. It saw it in like 2 seconds. Still nothing shows up under movies or music or TV shows, just blank. I hit play on a movie using the white :apple:TV remote and the movie icon shows up instantly on the iphone and the controls work great. I hit the back arrow button and its blank still and says "you can download movies from itunes.......:mad:

I didn't do anything special. I upgraded my ATV this afternoon, navigated to remotes, picked up my iPhone and started the Remote app and that enabled the pairing process.

At first I was disappointed as it appeared that only music was supported (consistent with the advert), but I found everything else under the 'More...' menu.

Just to confirm, I have nothing synced except a little album of pictures for the screen saver.

A.

ansalmo
Jul 12, 2008, 08:53 AM

OK, so if I use the iPhone as a remote for my Mac's iTunes and choose to use my :apple:tv as the output 'speaker' (through the iPhone remote app settings), then I can control the volume from the iPhone. If I use the iPhone as a remote for the :apple:tv directly, I can't control the volume. It seems a little odd.

mrowl
Jul 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
I just want to add that this is AWESOME.

I have a airport express for my outdoor speakers, and now I can easily control the iTunes playback to those speakers. awesome.

Alrescha
Jul 12, 2008, 10:21 AM
If I use the iPhone as a remote for the :apple:tv directly, I can't control the volume. It seems a little odd.

It doesn't seem odd to me. Your computer and iTunes has a volume control. You can (optionally) tell iTunes to control the volume of audio it sends to remote speakers. When you use the remote to talk to iTunes, you have a volume control available.

I look at the Apple TV as another 'source' for my stereo system. My tuner doesn't have a volume control, nor does my CD player, or my DVD player, or the VCR, etc., etc. It makes perfect sense that the Apple TV doesn't have one either.

I'm not saying that having a volume control wouldn't be of value to some people - I'm sure it would. But not having one is consistent with every other device in my living room.

A.

ansalmo
Jul 13, 2008, 05:49 AM
It doesn't seem odd to me. Your computer and iTunes has a volume control. You can (optionally) tell iTunes to control the volume of audio it sends to remote speakers. When you use the remote to talk to iTunes, you have a volume control available.

I look at the Apple TV as another 'source' for my stereo system. My tuner doesn't have a volume control, nor does my CD player, or my DVD player, or the VCR, etc., etc. It makes perfect sense that the Apple TV doesn't have one either.

Fair enough I guess, I'm just used to having that level of control on my other tech gadgets - for example my other media player (Roku Soundbridge M1000) connects in exactly the same way as the :apple:tv but provides volume control.

At least there is a means of having this control with the :apple:tv, it's just a shame that one has to go through the convoluted route of piping the music Mac -> iTunes -> :apple:tv to achieve that.

I'm not saying that having a volume control wouldn't be of value to some people - I'm sure it would. But not having one is consistent with every other device in my living room.

A.

It's not too much of a pain, as I have a Harmony remote controlling all of my kit. Though I can think of times when volume control on the iPhone would have been really handy (i.e. when I'm in an area of my house where I want background music but don't have direct view of the equipment to use an IR remote).

ansalmo
Jul 13, 2008, 05:56 AM
This is why I came to this forum. I found that on mine, the shows that I had handbroken from DVD were organised alphabetically and the ones I had purchased from iTunes were organised properly, by episode and season.

Any ideas? I'm sure it's just a tagging issue but I can't think which value I haven't tagged properly. Everything is organised by series and episode in itunes and on appletv usually.

Are you using MetaX for tagging? If so, you'll just need to make sure you fill in the Series / Episode / Episode ID fields and it should then sort correctly.

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 07:21 AM
Are you using MetaX for tagging? If so, you'll just need to make sure you fill in the Series / Episode / Episode ID fields and it should then sort correctly.

Mine doesn't list in order either for ripped shows, and I have Show, Episode, and Episode ID filled in.

Purchased does work however.

This is very annoying.

Avenger
Jul 13, 2008, 07:49 AM
Anyone else getting blank album art on the iPhone screen? When I play a track, it starts off blank, but if I tap the "back" arrow, then "now playing", the album art shows up.

Yes I am having the same problem. And it is sporadic, sometimes the art shows immediately and sometimes not. It's a bug somewhere.

cohibadad
Jul 13, 2008, 08:32 AM

odd. I have 2 :apple:TVs and when I paired iPhone with both, only sync'd content showed up on one and since I only stream from the other it was totally blank.

illitrate23
Jul 13, 2008, 08:33 AM
Mine doesn't list in order either for ripped shows, and I have Show, Episode, and Episode ID filled in.
Purchased does work however.
This is very annoying.

Same here - i've been over and over the ripped shows within iTunes own info screen and particular the Sorting tab and i've done the same in MetaX - there must be something we're missing surely

ntrigue
Jul 13, 2008, 09:23 AM
I was thrilled to discover that this works despite my iPhone using the Linksys-G while my aTV is on my Capsule-N!

Tramalon
Jul 13, 2008, 12:53 PM

A.

I love these TV forums! They've always been good to me, so hopefully I can shed some light on this situation:

I HAD 2 separate iTunes libraries working with the TV:
- One computer holds music and pictures. This was the sync (master) library.
- The other holds a pretty respectable movie library. This was the streaming (shared) library.

Yesterday, when I started working with the iPhone 2.0 control app, I was disappointed to (incorrectly) discover that I would not be able to control my streaming movie library.

***The trick lies in which iTunes library is the Main/MASTER library for the TV***

After re-assigning the TV with the iTunes movie library as the master, I can now control and see all my movies through the iPhone remote and play them on the TV. It's all set for streaming/sharing as the movie library is too large to sync to the TV internal HD. The down side is now I have to also stream my photos and music from the once master computer, but for now I'm willing to do it.

But now, I can make playlists of my huge movie library and they show up in the remote: i.e. playlists for directors, actors, whatever! so its pretty cool.

Hope this helps, 'cause it threw me for a day or so.

Cheers.

cuanurse
Jul 13, 2008, 02:04 PM
I just can't get the remote to work!!! Help!
With both my imac (itunes) and Apple TV it does the same thing. I go and enter the passcode but then it says "Can't find library." Anyone know of any fixes?

mcdj
Jul 13, 2008, 07:23 PM
I have 80GB+ of music, synced to my ATV. I leave the computer off...

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's a bug in the iPhone remote search feature. I typed in "Smile"...I was looking for a particular song that is definitely on the Apple TV's drive. Some songs showed up, but not the one I was looking for. I double checked on my computer and not only is it there, there's a half dozen other songs with the word smile in the title that didn't show up in the search results on the iPhone either.

Scarpad
Jul 13, 2008, 09:58 PM
I love these TV forums! They've always been good to me, so hopefully I can shed some light on this situation:

I HAD 2 separate iTunes libraries working with the TV:
- One computer holds music and pictures. This was the sync (master) library.
- The other holds a pretty respectable movie library. This was the streaming (shared) library.

Yesterday, when I started working with the iPhone 2.0 control app, I was disappointed to (incorrectly) discover that I would not be able to control my streaming movie library.

***The trick lies in which iTunes library is the Main/MASTER library for the TV***

After re-assigning the TV with the iTunes movie library as the master, I can now control and see all my movies through the iPhone remote and play them on the TV. It's all set for streaming/sharing as the movie library is too large to sync to the TV internal HD. The down side is now I have to also stream my photos and music from the once master computer, but for now I'm willing to do it.

But now, I can make playlists of my huge movie library and they show up in the remote: i.e. playlists for directors, actors, whatever! so its pretty cool.

Hope this helps, 'cause it threw me for a day or so.

Cheers.

Maybe you can write a step by step for this, I have two ATV's both stream and I see nothing in the app.

harpoon
Jul 13, 2008, 11:39 PM
I was thrilled to discover that this works despite my iPhone using the Linksys-G while my aTV is on my Capsule-N!

wha?!? How? Is your N on 5GHz? My N (airport extreme) network has my mac and aTV it's synced to, and I have an airport express on its own network pumping out g for my iPhone. I don't have 2.0 updated on my 1.1.4 yet but I can't fathom how it technically would work, since both networks don't intertwine anywhere.

ibglowin
Jul 14, 2008, 08:17 AM
Where is that setting?

I have seen several instances of incorrect :apple:TV error messages saying "there are no movies (or music or TV shows etc.) in the library. This is totally BS as I have like almost 2TB of stuff on a streaming network connected Mini in the back of the house.

If I just leave the :apple:TV alone for a few minutes it seems to fix itself and find everything once again. It has done this every time I have switched to a different computer (iTunes library) in the house. I have 3 streaming macs to choose from.

Never had this until the 2.1 :apple:TV software upgrade.

Tramalon
Jul 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
Maybe you can write a step by step for this, I have two ATV's both stream and I see nothing in the app.

1. restore the ATV to factory settings. Run all updates.
2. decide which computer/iTunes library one wants the iphone to browse and control from the ATV.
3. establish THAT computer/library as the primary linked source in ATV.
4. prevent the computer/library from syncing (optional)
5. All streaming content (i.e. movies) should now appear in the MY MOVIES section.
5. pair the iphone remote to the ATV.
6. confirm browsing is working on the iPhone.
7. connect second computer/library as a shared library.

To be clear, the iphone remote will not be able to see the second shared library.

This worked for me and I'm still deciding if I like it better than my previous set up. If you find it STILL not working, I'm stumped.

Hope this helps, good luck!

MacManiac2
Jul 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes I am having the same problem. And it is sporadic, sometimes the art shows immediately and sometimes not. It's a bug somewhere.

I'm having the same problem, hitting "now playing" doesn't work either.

Are you guys streaming, or playing it right off the ATV? The art is displayed on the TV screen, but not the iPhone.

wPod
Jul 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
I found a bit of a 'fix' for the shared library problems. Although it isn't that good of a fix because it requires the use of the apple remote. I have the 40 gb :apple:TV getting streamed content from 60gb of music and 400+gb of movies. I first have to use the little white apple remote to navigate to my shared movies, or shared music, then I can use the iPhone remote application to navigate the information. but if i want to switch between movies and music i have to go back to the white remote again.

what would be really cool is if i got a mini-version of the :apple:TV screen on the iPhone and could navigate through the menus using the iPhone. Then also use the keyboard on the iPhone for searching youTube (and typing into a web browser if there was one on the :apple:TV (yes i know there are ways to get a browser on the :apple:TV)

Avenger
Jul 15, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'm playing directly off of ATV and have the issue.

I'm having the same problem, hitting "now playing" doesn't work either.

Are you guys streaming, or playing it right off the ATV? The art is displayed on the TV screen, but not the iPhone.

Alan Taylor
Jul 15, 2008, 07:29 AM
wha?!? How? Is your N on 5GHz? My N (airport extreme) network has my mac and aTV it's synced to, and I have an airport express on its own network pumping out g for my iPhone. I don't have 2.0 updated on my 1.1.4 yet but I can't fathom how it technically would work, since both networks don't intertwine anywhere.

Chances are that the internet connection goes into one of the routers, and the other router gets it's internet from the first. Therefore, they are connected.

internet -> modem -> router one -> wireless signal
....................................|
..........................ethernet cable
....................................|
..............................router two -> wireless signal

That ethernet connection is how the two seperate networks connect. The second router is just sharing its ethernet connection wirelessly.

ansalmo
Jul 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have seen several instances of incorrect :apple:TV error messages saying "there are no movies (or music or TV shows etc.) in the library. This is totally BS as I have like almost 2TB of stuff on a streaming network connected Mini in the back of the house.

I have this when :apple:tv times out waiting for the streaming server to respond. I have a similar setup to you, and receive this message when the external firewire drives on the Mini take a bit too long to spin up from sleep. The :apple:tv gets bored waiting and claims that the streaming server has no content. Possibly 2.1 has a shorter timeout, or different behaviour in the timeout situation than earlier software releases?

Evangelion
Jul 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
I just can't get the remote to work!!! Help!
With both my imac (itunes) and Apple TV it does the same thing. I go and enter the passcode but then it says "Can't find library." Anyone know of any fixes?

Check your firewall-settings.

EDIT: Firewall might cause issues on iTunes, not sure about AppleTV though...

megfilmworks
Jul 17, 2008, 11:24 PM
I wish the iPhone worked on 802.11n, I have to switch my aTV to a g network (or something in 2.4 GHz that my iPhone can pick up) to use the remote which sucks.I'm running an Airport Extreme at 2.5 Ghz with g, and my ATV on the Time Capsule at 5 Ghz with n. Works like a dream. The remote is instantaneous. Love this app.

Ropedartman
Jul 17, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm having issues with getting my album cover artwork to show up on my iPhone when controlling my ATV, anyone have a fix for that? I've tried changing some settings, nada.....

bbotte
Jul 18, 2008, 08:18 AM
Why can't we use the App remote to play our Rented HD movies when the iPhone is connected as a remote? :mad: Why is apple always a dollar short with so much stuff lately?

Dave00
Jul 18, 2008, 09:38 AM
It appears you have to have a home automation system in order to use. Which they will configure for you for the low low fee of $250. Not as simple as just programming a universal remote. I don't think there's a way to use iPhone/Touch as a universal remote without such a system, because most remotes are IR, which the iPhone does not have. Maybe someday.

Dave

megfilmworks
Jul 18, 2008, 03:16 PM
Why can't we use the App remote to play our Rented HD movies when the iPhone is connected as a remote? :mad: Why is apple always a dollar short with so much stuff lately?You can. That's my favorite feature. Why do people blame Apple when if they took a little time they would see that it is not Apple that is a few cards short of a full deck?

JonHimself
Jul 20, 2008, 12:34 AM
I came across this problem tonight. If you use the Apple Remote (white remote) to put the Apple TV to sleep by holding down play/pause for 3-5 seconds, are you able to use the Remote app (on iPhone/Touch) to wake-up your Apple TV? I've tried to start playing files but nothing happens.

addipar23
Sep 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'm having issues with getting my album cover artwork to show up on my iPhone when controlling my ATV, anyone have a fix for that? I've tried changing some settings, nada.....

Were you ever able to get your album art to show up while using the remote app and apple tv? I'm curious because I'm having the same issues.

Thanks!