PDA

View Full Version : MyWeather

greenmymac
Jul 10, 2008, 03:39 PM
I have a question about this... i paid for it downloaded it and works fine but the forecast and stuff at the bottom is completely wrong and Idea why this app is so buggy or any one have problems with it

island
Jul 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
Try WeatherBug and see how that works for you. Could be the App or maybe something else.

HDJulie
Jul 10, 2008, 08:28 PM
I haven't gotten the 2.0 software yet so can't try the app but I am very excited about it & hope it is not buggy. It is a one-time payment, right? No subscription required?

Sobe
Jul 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
yah and weatherbug is free.

greenmymac
Jul 10, 2008, 08:30 PM
yah and weatherbug is free.

Well I have already paid for it :-( But i have faith it will be fixed!

scotty56
Jul 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well I have already paid for it :-( But i have faith it will be fixed!

Was it not free earlier today?

greenmymac
Jul 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
Was it not free earlier today?

no i Paid 14.99

scotty56
Jul 10, 2008, 08:57 PM
no i Paid 14.99

WOW :eek: Quite the error

greenmymac
Jul 10, 2008, 08:58 PM
WOW :eek: Quite the error

error?

HDJulie
Jul 10, 2008, 08:59 PM
Myweather has some really cool features that I would willingly pay $15 for, if the app works correctly.

scotty56
Jul 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
error?

Wouldnt changing the price from 15 to free indicate and error of some type?

Disregard please, i didnt realize you were talking about a different app

greenmymac
Jul 10, 2008, 09:01 PM
Myweather has some really cool features that I would willingly pay $15 for, if the app works correctly.

its seems there are a lot of bugs with these apps you know how many times the battleship game closed...alot

its free now

aethelbert
Jul 10, 2008, 09:01 PM
Wouldnt changing the price from 15 to free indicate and error of some type?
They're not talking about weatherbug. MyWeather is 14,99USD

greenmymac
Jul 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
They're not talking about weatherbug. MyWeather is 14,99USD

Whew I was about to freak out on Apple

HDJulie
Jul 10, 2008, 09:04 PM
I really appreciate the reviews from y'all on these apps.

saturniphone
Jul 11, 2008, 01:20 PM
Has anyone been able to email them? I went to their support site and the email address that they posted (iPhone@myweather.net) gets bounced when I send to it.

iEdge
Jul 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
The MyWeather support email address is working.

Has anyone been able to email them? I went to their support site and the email address that they posted (iPhone@myweather.net) gets bounced when I send to it.

mikepj
Jul 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'm the developer of MyWeather Mobile for the iPhone.

There was a problem last week with the forecast model, which resulted in forecast temperatures being 5-10 degrees above normal for some days. As far as I know this issue has been resolved, so if you continue to see forecasts that are dramatically off-base, let us know.

Version 1.1 with animated radar, 4x the locations, and a host of other features/bug fixes will be posted soon...

Mike

opticalserenity
Jul 18, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mikepj, thanks for posting, keep us updated.

To others, what are the reasons to get this app over say, weatherbug?

jsimpson
Jul 21, 2008, 05:55 AM
I have this one and it works great, the support staff has been very fast to respond to any questions and they have submitted the next version to Apple and will be up soon I hope. It will add more cities, radar loops, and fix a few things (at least that's the stuff I was told about). The multiple cities and radar (full screen if rotated) makes it worth the cost IMO.

digitalfx
Jul 21, 2008, 09:59 AM
once he adds the animated radar it will be worth $15, otherwise not a huge difference vs the free version.

Free version has the same features PLUS live cameras.

$15 version offers larger radar map and closer zoom level.
Although the zoom is NOT street level as advertised .

currently its hard to justify $15 over the free version, once we get animated radar and true street level zoom, then it will be worth every penny.

mikepj
Jul 22, 2008, 01:03 PM
MyWeather 1.0.2 was posted last night on the App Store. This version includes animated radar, street level zooming (see image below, hope this is close enough :-)), 4x more locations, and several other improvements. Locations are now much easier to add because now every search result will be listed as city, state. No more guessing which location is which.

Additional feedback is always valuable, so if you want to see something added, let us know!

littlewaywelt
Jul 23, 2008, 08:12 AM

There was a problem last week with the forecast model, which resulted in forecast temperatures being 5-10 degrees above normal for some days. As far as I know this issue has been resolved, so if you continue to see forecasts that are dramatically off-base, let us know.

Version 1.1 with animated radar, 4x the locations, and a host of other features/bug fixes will be posted soon...

Mike
How about adding zip code support and % chance of precipitation
Many cities are not listed and no international cities. Nearly all weather apps give you the ability to search by zipcode. In fact yours is the first I've seen or used that doesn't.
I'd also like to see the ability to add links to weather cams and traffic cams.

If you're looking for ideas look at the functionality that WeatherPannel for WM offers in customization, along with SBSH PocketWeather for WM

digitalfx
Jul 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
MyWeather 1.0.2 was posted last night on the App Store. This version includes animated radar, street level zooming (see image below, hope this is close enough :-)), 4x more locations, and several other improvements. Locations are now much easier to add because now every search result will be listed as city, state. No more guessing which location is which.

Additional feedback is always valuable, so if you want to see something added, let us know!

nice! How long does it typically take for us to be able to download it?

Can you zoom closer so I can see myself in the front yard :)

Was able to force the download...not showing up as an update yet.

Very nice improvements...a few suggestions for future upgrades:
1. double tap to zoom back out
2. add times of loop
3. ability to stop the loop and see the latest radar

greenmymac
Jul 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
nice! How long does it typically take for us to be able to download it?

Can you zoom closer so I can see myself in the front yard :)

Was able to force the download...not showing up as an update yet.

Very nice improvements...a few suggestions for future upgrades:
1. double tap to zoom back out
2. add times of loop
3. ability to stop the loop and see the latest radar

I would also like to see current windspeed ( not just future windspeed) kind of like weather bug! Great App Thanks

mikepj
Jul 23, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Taking some notes here and will submit these ideas to the rest of the team for consideration. Here are some comments addressing the ideas some of you have mentioned.

Zip code searching will most likely be coming soon. With a limited amount of time to develop the application, unfortunately location management has kind of had to lag behind a bit. We were able to add a lot more locations in the update a few days ago, but there is still some work to be done. For the next version, we'll be spending time adding more locations, and supporting new ways to add a location (such as searching by zip code). With a gradual move to support locations worldwide, offering an efficient method to search for and add new locations is important.

We've also been looking at interfaces to allow users to control the radar loop. Right now, the loop consists of 10 frames. Each frame is about 6 minutes apart, so what you are seeing is the last hour of precipitation activity on the map. The last radar image is paused for a second or two, just to give you a chance to see the latest frame. Obviously, with this feature recently added, we're just getting started...

I'll pass along the requests for more information like probability of precipitation, wind speeds, webcams, etc. The iPhone and iPod touch are small devices, so it's difficult to show absolutely everything without making it impossibly confusing for people to use the application. :-) I think we still have some room to grow here, and we'll look into this as development continues.

There are a lot of exciting features in the pipeline, so stay tuned for further updates.

MotionxxUSxx
Jul 23, 2008, 06:56 PM
Mike,

I passed this along to James on your support page this morning. Hopefully you can implement some of the following suggestions

I just purchased the app and It's great. I gave you guys a 5 star review on the itunes store. Just a few suggestions.

1.) You should make the ""My Weather" would like to use your location" option a option that we can make the default in the settings page or just keep it off for good. It's annoying to get the pop up twice everytime I open the app. I always keep my gps off because it saves battery life and only turn it on when I need it.

2.) It would be awesome if the radar image that you used last for each city remembered the last state it was in. I often zoom in and every time I go into the app for a particular city I have to reset my radar settings.

3.) weather alerts

4.) Animated infrared satellite images.

5.) If you click on a particular city on the list it would be awesome to be able to bring up another screen that had more detailed conditions like current humidity, barometer, wind direction, wind speed, etc along with a detailed text based 3 or 5 days forecast.

Thanks again for the hard work. If you need any help with user testing let me know.

littlewaywelt
Jul 24, 2008, 11:00 AM
One of the great features of PocketWeather (SBSH) for WM is that you can add images via their urls. If you want to see the weather channel's snow prediction map, air quality, whatever, you simply add the url and the app poles and pulls down the images to your device at the intervals you set.

If you are looking for beta testers I'm happy to help. I think I've used all the major weather tools/apps for WM out there.

BD1
Jul 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
Mike,

Great app, in particular the radar!

Here are some suggestions for future enhancements:

1. Biggest need is to allow a default (home) location and avoid the myweather location when going into the application. The ask for locations services popup is very annoying. Most of the time a person is in their home location and we should have a preference to select a home city so we can avoid the battery drain and popup of location services. Then when traveling it will be nice to select myweather and get local weather based on gps. But this should be a user choice. I check the weather a bunch during the day and I would like it not to ask for location services unless I click on myweather.

2. Add option to see cloud cover on moving map. See 'visible clouds' on accuweather satellite for an example.

3. Allow rotate to landscape on main screen so you can show more forecast days, etc.

4. Show graph/trend of 15 temperatures (high/lows). Again, accuweather has a good example.

5. Show current temperature and weather on your main icon (for your default location). Similar to how the calendar application shows the current date. I think this would be very, very popular if you can do in a way that is not a battery drain (like poll for current temp every hour).

Thanks and keep up the good work.

KittyToy
Jul 25, 2008, 12:37 PM
what do you need to know about the weather that is worth 15 bucks?

MotionxxUSxx
Jul 25, 2008, 12:45 PM

Why is your thread worthless? If you don't want to spend $15 than that's your right. $15 to some is not much money.

digitalfx
Jul 25, 2008, 02:22 PM

If you work outside its worth much more than $15 to know when the rain is coming.

digbyp
Jul 27, 2008, 05:16 AM
Not available?

SecretNY
Jul 27, 2008, 05:25 AM
I bought it for the radar. Great so far.

When I had a Treo most programs cost at least $10 and some where $50!

$15 is not bad for the best radar around.

Thanks for the program.

neiltc13
Jul 27, 2008, 06:23 AM

Mike

If you made a weather App which supported UK locations you would make a LOT of money as there are currently NO applications which offer this functionality on the UK app store.

TechJunky
Jul 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
So does everyone think this is still the best weather app out there? I'm reluctant to spend the $15, but I have to have animated radar. Sure you can get radar from a variety of places online, but what good is it if you can't tell which way storms are moving?

Hutch1981
Jul 29, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have a few questions that I will need answers be for I buy this app
Looking at it it looks great and is what I want but...

Does it have wind speed and direction?
Does it have the heat index?
And does it have Des Monies, ia as a city in the DB?

DCAppleDude
Jul 30, 2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Taking some notes here and will submit these ideas to the rest of the team for consideration. Here are some comments addressing the ideas some of you have mentioned.

Zip code searching will most likely be coming soon. With a limited amount of time to develop the application, unfortunately location management has kind of had to lag behind a bit. We were able to add a lot more locations in the update a few days ago, but there is still some work to be done. For the next version, we'll be spending time adding more locations, and supporting new ways to add a location (such as searching by zip code). With a gradual move to support locations worldwide, offering an efficient method to search for and add new locations is important.

We've also been looking at interfaces to allow users to control the radar loop. Right now, the loop consists of 10 frames. Each frame is about 6 minutes apart, so what you are seeing is the last hour of precipitation activity on the map. The last radar image is paused for a second or two, just to give you a chance to see the latest frame. Obviously, with this feature recently added, we're just getting started...

I'll pass along the requests for more information like probability of precipitation, wind speeds, webcams, etc. The iPhone and iPod touch are small devices, so it's difficult to show absolutely everything without making it impossibly confusing for people to use the application. :-) I think we still have some room to grow here, and we'll look into this as development continues.

There are a lot of exciting features in the pipeline, so stay tuned for further updates.

Mike....I'm looking forward to buying this app, but I'd like some assurance that local weather alerts will be included. Otherwise, I need to be in my Email or text to get those alerts. Please consider adding alerts as that's the key time to look at a radar for safety reasons. Maybe even a red "W" can appear on the icon for warning and a yellow "W" for watch (assuming you set a primary location)...kind of like E-mail, text or Facebook notifications. Thanks.

littlewaywelt
Jul 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have a few questions that I will need answers be for I buy this app
Looking at it it looks great and is what I want but...

Does it have wind speed and direction?
Does it have the heat index?
And does it have Des Monies, ia as a city in the DB?

It has wind speed and direction.
It does not have heat index, windchill or "feels like." It also does not list humidity.
It does have Des Moines.

littlewaywelt
Jul 30, 2008, 09:33 AM
Mike....I'm looking forward to buying this app, but I'd like some assurance that local weather alerts will be included. Otherwise, I need to be in my Email or text to get those alerts. Please consider adding alerts as that's the key time to look at a radar for safety reasons. Maybe even a red "W" can appear on the icon for warning and a yellow "W" for watch (assuming you set a primary location)...kind of like E-mail, text or Facebook notifications. Thanks.
+1
That would be great. Several of the Windows Mobile weather apps have this. The Red vs Yellow "W" idea is great. Maybe placed in the corner like new email, missed calls, etc. A text description of the alert would be a big plus, too.

SecretNY
Aug 1, 2008, 07:18 AM
I really like the app. The one thing I would like to have in the next update is the ability to have the radar remember your setting. Every time I want to check the radar (in landscape) I have to zoom in several times and adjust the location after the zoom. It would be much better if it would simply remember the last time I used the radar.

Still worth the money (I work outdoors and need to see the storms coming).

Also, how about showing the times on the radar loop?

Thanks guys.

Hutch1981
Aug 1, 2008, 08:08 AM
It has wind speed and direction.
It does not have heat index, windchill or "feels like." It also does not list humidity.
It does have Des Moines.

Well Mike until I can get heat index, windchill or "feels like." and the humidity. I cant buy this app... sorry but it has to have all that I stated be for i can justify spending 15 on this app. But by all means email me when and if you do add this and I will then get it :)

Keyhole
Aug 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
You guys realize you can get free animated radar at Accuweather.com ?

mikepj
Aug 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks to everyone who has spent the time to post this valuable feedback. There's enough work here to keep us busy for months on end, so I ask only for your continued patience. :-)

I can't comment on upcoming functionality at this time, but rest assured, we're already on our way to the next update and the whole team is pretty excited about the future of this product.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out on this thread, so definitely feel free to continue posting ideas and suggestions as you think of them!

Donz0r
Aug 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
First of all FANTASTIC APP!
I love it.

A couple of things I would change/add:

1. Ability to set a location to DEFAULT instead of it defaulting to the current location. I'd say 98% of users 98% of the time are in the same town and don't need gps based weather, it'd be nice to set my hometown to default and avoid the Location popup message.

2. CHEAPER. $15 bucks is steep for a weather app. I bought it but i think at 9.99 you'd get a lot more people buying it,

MotionxxUSxx
Aug 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hey Mike,

Whats the time frame on the next update? Loving the app.

bradl
Aug 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
Here's a question that would easily turn into a feature request.

Does the App also have the ability to display the raw weather data, as in METAR format?, Sort of what the NOAA displays at http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metar ? If not, could it?

BL.

212rikanmofo
Aug 4, 2008, 03:11 PM
First of all FANTASTIC APP!
I love it.

A couple of things I would change/add:

1. Ability to set a location to DEFAULT instead of it defaulting to the current location. I'd say 98% of users 98% of the time are in the same town and don't need gps based weather, it'd be nice to set my hometown to default and avoid the Location popup message.

2. CHEAPER. $15 bucks is steep for a weather app. I bought it but i think at 9.99 you'd get a lot more people buying it,

I totally agree. If the app were $9.99 I'd definitely buy it. But $15 is a little too much. I think you will get a lot more buyers if you lower the price.

opticalserenity
Aug 4, 2008, 05:12 PM
I love this app, but it's been crashing on me very frequently last few days. It's probably exploded three times today alone.

mikepj
Aug 5, 2008, 09:45 AM
Whats the time frame on the next update? Loving the app.
We haven't scheduled a release date for the next version of the software yet, but we are actively working on it.

Does the App also have the ability to display the raw weather data, as in METAR format?, Sort of what the NOAA displays at http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metar ? If not, could it?
Thanks for the feedback. At this time, the application does not fetch METAR data to display current conditions, so a type of "raw" display of this information isn't really available without going and adding another data source (and the extra bandwidth requirements and processing that comes with it).

I love this app, but it's been crashing on me very frequently last few days. It's probably exploded three times today alone.
It sounds like your iPhone might be running low on memory. I'll notice that after using my iPhone for a few weeks, memory starts running low and apps that use a lot of memory (like Safari) crash more often. This is usually caused by certain system processes gradually taking more memory over a long period of time (just like those on Mac OS X). Try holding the power button on the top of your iPhone to turn it off completely (after sliding the confirmation bar). Then hit the power button again to turn the device back on. If you continue to experience instability, let us know.

Donz0r
Aug 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
So yesterday there were 2 tornados in my area, I was at the movie theatre and didn't have any source of information. MyWeather knew nothing of my tornados.

Any chance for any emergency warnings and updates? Like, if my area is currently in a tornado warning, this 15 dollar weather app should tell me that...

opticalserenity
Aug 5, 2008, 11:41 AM
It sounds like your iPhone might be running low on memory. I'll notice that after using my iPhone for a few weeks, memory starts running low and apps that use a lot of memory (like Safari) crash more often. This is usually caused by certain system processes gradually taking more memory over a long period of time (just like those on Mac OS X). Try holding the power button on the top of your iPhone to turn it off completely (after sliding the confirmation bar). Then hit the power button again to turn the device back on. If you continue to experience instability, let us know.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, as it is, I've been restarting my iphone for various reasons (turn off, turn on) every single day, sometimes more than once a day. And yes, still been getting instability.

Also, any reason why Microsoft Virtual Earth is used and not Google Maps?

MotionxxUSxx
Aug 5, 2008, 12:12 PM
I do have a question on what you are using for the hourly forecasts and how often are they updated. Do you use a weather model like the GFS or ETA or do you have your own proprietary model.

Over the last few storms in the northeast, when we received a couple of inches of rain which was pretty widespread and not from thunderstorms, the hourly rain rates showed that no rain was expected. I have seen this often.

Thanks,

MrEFord
Aug 7, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hey great App, I bought it after a lengthy debate over which weather app to get (I just couldn't take the standard one when there were so many better ones out there), and I really love it, the UI is fantastic and clean, and the radar features are pretty nice.

I'm a little curious about the weather data, I was checking weather for back home, and the temp from this program is consistently about 10 degrees above what every other weather site says about it (that and I know it would never be that hot back home, I would have read about the heat wave in the paper).

Other than that, it's a great app, keep up the good work!

lesliegolf
Aug 8, 2008, 08:18 AM
Add me to the list of people with requests. Any chance for a surf forecast??

SeVeN
Aug 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
Does this only work if you fill up your tank? I put 4.8 gals in the other week and 2.4 yesterday and it says 51 mpg. I only travled about 125 miles in between.

Thanks.

TechJunky
Aug 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
I sent a PM to Mike, but no reply. I've got two questions before purchasing:

-Are there plans to provide weather alerts?
-Is Savannah, GA a selectable location?

Any input greatly appreciated!

SeVeN
Aug 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
Does this only work if you fill up your tank? I put 4.8 gals in the other week and 2.4 yesterday and it says 51 mpg. I only travled about 125 miles in between.

Thanks.

Oops. This was supposed to be a new thread, not a reply. Wow, that's retarded. Sorry for hijackng.

HDJulie
Aug 8, 2008, 02:16 PM

I can't tell you whether alerts will ever be provided (I'm hoping, though) but I can tell you that Savannah, GA is a selectable location.

iEdge
Aug 11, 2008, 11:42 AM

From what I understand, the App Store will not allow push alerts until sometime in September. The MyWeather Mobile customer support said weather alerts are "on the list for future development."

Yes, Savannah is available.

mcdj
Aug 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
Beautiful looking app, but the price is out of control. You might become well off @ $14.99, but you would become RICH @ $4.99.

TechJunky
Aug 12, 2008, 07:00 AM
From what I understand, the App Store will not allow push alerts until sometime in September. The MyWeather Mobile customer support said weather alerts are "on the list for future development."

Yes, Savannah is available.

Thanks guys. I forgot about weather alerts requiring push. Maybe I'll just wait until September and see what happens, and what other apps are available. I know as soon as I buy this thing, Weather Channel or Weather Underground will come out with something better and cheaper.

greenmymac
Aug 12, 2008, 07:42 AM
Beautiful looking app, but the price is out of control. You might become well off @ $14.99, but you would become RICH @ $4.99.

I honestly think its worth 14.99

trihard
Aug 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
This is a great app! Although $15 isn't cheap, think of it as purchasing 3 different apps for $5 each. It works well, and is getting better all the time. and you will use it more than a couple of $7 games you will waste your money on anyway.

I like a lot of the proposed enhancements. In addition to those, they need to add an opacity setting to the radar, as you can't see what is under the dark red and green radar echos. Clicking on the forecast to bring up a more detailed text about the forecast would be good, as the icon and 2 word text summary doesn't quite tell the story of what to expect that day.

I believe there is a bug when you click on a trend spot that shows rain, you would expect that if you scroll to precipitation for the same time, you would see some, but you usually get 0.

Thanks for developing this great app, and keep up the updates. If you website could add a potential schedule of updates/features, that would be great.

yoAlex
Aug 12, 2008, 10:08 AM
Would love to see the following enhancement:

1) Sunrise/Sunset ... Dawn/Dusk information
2) Moon information
3) Surf Forecast
4) Tide Chart

opticalserenity
Aug 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
When are we going to see an update? Has one been submitted yet?

The app crashes more than a $15 program should.

IJ Reilly
Aug 12, 2008, 01:27 PM
I do have a question on what you are using for the hourly forecasts and how often are they updated. Do you use a weather model like the GFS or ETA or do you have your own proprietary model.

Over the last few storms in the northeast, when we received a couple of inches of rain which was pretty widespread and not from thunderstorms, the hourly rain rates showed that no rain was expected. I have seen this often.

Thanks,

Hey great App, I bought it after a lengthy debate over which weather app to get (I just couldn't take the standard one when there were so many better ones out there), and I really love it, the UI is fantastic and clean, and the radar features are pretty nice.

I'm a little curious about the weather data, I was checking weather for back home, and the temp from this program is consistently about 10 degrees above what every other weather site says about it (that and I know it would never be that hot back home, I would have read about the heat wave in the paper).

These are the right questions to ask about any application that purports to provide current conditions and forecasts. Just because the name of a city is "in the database" doesn't mean that the current conditions shown are actually from that city. The numbers could easily be from a city 50 miles away. I really dislike weather applications that hide this information from the user. WeatherBug got this much right at least, but it's broken in some other serious ways.

greenmymac
Aug 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
When are we going to see an update? Has one been submitted yet?

The app crashes more than a $15 program should.

That makes no sense look at the iPhone its a $199-$599 product and it crashes alot!

opticalserenity
Aug 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
That makes no sense look at the iPhone its a $199-$599 product and it crashes alot!

And as such, Apple gets their fair share (In fact, way more than fair share) of grief for it. Regardless, this thread is for MyWeather. When MyWeather doesn't work for various reasons, it is MyWeather's issue, and as a "higher tier application" consumers are going to demand "higher tier performance."

I love the app, I own the app, and would pay $14.99 for it all over again. That being said, I want to see the app succeed. I'd hope any developer, (and mind you, I also develop and manage) would be happy to see criticism to make their app better. Otherwise, they can go to Redmond and work with those who rest on the laurels of an "ok" product. Even Redmond in the last few years is working hard to stay out of that paradigm.

You know why Apple has dozens of forums dedicated to it's higher end product? Because it's "high end," if MyWeather does not want criticism, then they should drop the price.

Most importantly, if we didn't care about the app, we wouldn't be here trying to help the manufacturer.

mikepj
Aug 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
Any chance for any emergency warnings and updates? Like, if my area is currently in a tornado warning, this 15 dollar weather app should tell me that...

I'll pass this along as a feature request.

Also, any reason why Microsoft Virtual Earth is used and not Google Maps?

The company has a previous agreement with Microsoft allowing them to use Virtual Earth maps in applications that are developed. To use Google Maps would require an equally costly agreement with Google, and in general we find the map sets to be fairly similar.

The forecasts are based on a proprietary model that is based upon one developed at UW-Madison. We're currently looking into issues with the precipitation amounts and you should see an improvement as time goes on.

Add me to the list of people with requests. Any chance for a surf forecast??

I'll pass the idea along...

When MyWeather doesn't work for various reasons, it is MyWeather's issue, and as a "higher tier application" consumers are going to demand "higher tier performance."

I've heard of a few others who have had stability problems while using a variety of iPhone applications. Some people are seeing crashes in random applications all the time, and others almost never experience crashes on the device at all. My best guess is that the firmware has bugs causing these issues, and that later releases of the OS (hopefully 2.1) will fix the issue.

That said, I definitely want the code I write to be as stable as possible. I haven't experienced a crash of the current MyWeather release on any devices here. This is a problem, because if I can't replicate a crash, it's very difficult to fix the bug causing it. If you notice crashing every time you perform a certain action, please report the issue with those extended details.

littlewaywelt
Aug 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
Would like to have a more detailed forecast for the day in the bottom pane.
Today / Forecast / Trend / Radar

Would also like to see other maps, like snowfall quantities and types of snow, like weather.com offers. Many weather programs for windows mobile let you use a url of the radar images you like/need.

DCAppleDude
Aug 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
A new app was released today giving weather alerts, including a red badge indicating number of alerts on the app's icon. Please please integrate this feature and I'll buy this app, otherwise, it's not complete. Alerts are so critical, especially in certain parts of the country.

IJ Reilly
Aug 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
Care to name this "new weather app?"

DCAppleDude
Aug 15, 2008, 10:18 PM
Care to name this "new weather app?"

It's called "Weather Alert"...

http://www.medialets.com/app-store-metrics/items/1883

Not mine (I have no clue how to create an app), just duly noted that warnings can be created with app badges -- for $15, MyWeather should have this...

mikepj
Aug 18, 2008, 08:49 AM
Would also like to see other maps, like snowfall quantities and types of snow, like weather.com offers. Many weather programs for windows mobile let you use a url of the radar images you like/need.

While it hasn't been tested yet (for obvious seasonal reasons), forecasted snowfall quantities should show up in the trend graph this winter. This doesn't completely match your suggestions though, so we'll take this into consideration moving forward.

A new app was released today giving weather alerts, including a red badge indicating number of alerts on the app's icon. Please please integrate this feature and I'll buy this app, otherwise, it's not complete. Alerts are so critical, especially in certain parts of the country.

I agree that alerts remain a critical feature we have yet to implement. At this time, we are waiting for Apple to finish completing their push notification functionality for iPhone applications. Until push notifications are ready, we really can't add this feature "the right way." It was originally thought that Apple was going to have push notifications ready for iPhone OS 2.1, but recent rumors have noted that may not be the case. We're anxiously awaiting this feature as much as anyone else though. :-)

littlewaywelt
Aug 18, 2008, 09:30 AM
While it hasn't been tested yet (for obvious seasonal reasons), forecasted snowfall quantities should show up in the trend graph this winter. This doesn't completely match your suggestions though, so we'll take this into consideration moving forward.

I agree that alerts remain a critical feature we have yet to implement. At this time, we are waiting for Apple to finish completing their push notification functionality for iPhone applications. Until push notifications are ready, we really can't add this feature "the right way." It was originally thought that Apple was going to have push notifications ready for iPhone OS 2.1, but recent rumors have noted that may not be the case. We're anxiously awaiting this feature as much as anyone else though. :-)

The advantage to seeing snowfall projection maps is that you know where it's going to snow heavily. That information isn't readily really there when you can only see a number for a named area in your list. A map gives you an idea of the size of the system. The same analogy is looking at a radar map vs seeing .5 inches of rain at 4pm.

I'd also very much like to see the last download/forecast and all data remain in the program. If I don't have a connection I'd like to see what was last there.

greenmymac
Aug 23, 2008, 07:59 PM
When can we expect to see another update for this Application?

bobsegal
Sep 23, 2008, 09:09 AM
They did post a update this past weekend with some new features.
But one thing that still is not fixed is remembering the location and zoom level of weather radar. This is one thing that is need to make this app a great one.

Bob

littlewaywelt
Sep 23, 2008, 09:54 AM
Overall, a nice improvement, but still needs some work.

-pressure would be nice to be able to choose to see in inches of mercury rather than millibars
-still a bug on the trending which lists yellow current time, three hours ahead of actual time.
-also, when picking a contact address, if you list under business it shows up blank, leaving you to click each blank listing until you find the right address.
-still can't choose int'l locations.
-if a contact has multiple addresses it will default to the first - can't select the others.
-would love to see a detailed worded forecast like weatherbug as well.

HaroldC
Sep 23, 2008, 10:44 AM
It's better, but still doesn't address my biggest gripe with the program: On startup of the app, it always asks for your location.

I would like to see that as an option in the settings that the user can either turn on or off.

I use it only for the radar loop, as WeatherBug gives me all the important data (temp, pressure, wind, etc) without having to press any additional links/buttons.

mikepj
Sep 23, 2008, 12:41 PM
Certainly, there are still a large number of features that we just haven't gotten to yet. The feature request list is already past 25 items, and is growing pretty quickly. Obviously we'll have to pick and choose the most popular requests and target those first...

That said, I think 1.1 is a good start toward where we ultimately want to be. Thanks for all the feedback users have been posting on this forum.

diesel
Sep 23, 2008, 12:57 PM
mikepj,

the latest update is nice, especially in the performace department. the app seems to load my cities noticeably faster.

any plans on adding support for international cities? if you could allow us to add international cities, i.e. London, Tokyo, Seoul, etc. that would be fantastic.

also, please allow me to disable the current location thing upon startup. i don't need it nor want it. thanks.

mikepj
Sep 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
Glad you noticed the performance enhancements. I spent a couple of days just trying to get the application to launch faster. Now it launches about 33% faster than before. Other parts of the interface have been optimized as well.

International support is on our radar (no pun intended, okay, maybe it was...), and we plan to add support for locations outside the U.S. as time goes on. Before doing this, we have to make sure the data sources for forecasts, trends, etc are available, so this isn't nearly as simple as flipping a switch to add more locations.

We haven't decided what to do about the current location feature yet. The vast majority of our users use it, but some aren't as interested. If you are tired of seeing the pop-up dialog, there is a way to get rid of that. I think if you allow it to grab your current location twice in a row, it shouldn't ask you anymore (this is Apple's code working here, so we don't have control over it). It no longer asks to use the current location on my device...

trihard
Sep 25, 2008, 09:06 AM
Mikepj,

The latest update is snappy, but there are a few key things that I hope are high on the list of to dos:

1) Persistent radar view or even better the ability to define and save multiple views so you can easily recall different levels of zoom and pan.

2) Radar opacity control...you cannot see what is under the dark colors as is.

3) Percent chance of rain in the precip trend as the trend alone doesn' t really help you know if it will happen or not.

4) Additional text option for the forecast. Summing up a day with 1 picture and 2 words just doesn't do it, especially on a day with changing weather.

Thanks for your hard work!

rixm
Oct 2, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi,

After wasting my money on Fizz (temperatures for both 91101 (Pasadena, CA) and 92679 (Trabuco Canyon, CA) as well as 92618 (Irvine, CA) are consistently off by 4, 6, 10 degrees at a time. Wind speeds are never even close (up to 20 mph off!!!!) I can walk outside at work (Pasadena, CA) on a dead calm day and Fizz will inform me that the windspeed is 22mph!! ...I guessing they have one sensor and it's attached to the back of a freight train. ;)

Could some kind soul send me a day time reading (temp & wind speed) from MyWeather for 91101 and/or 92679 at some point? If they at least can get these 2 right I'd consider purchase but with getting burned on Fizz I'm hesitant to spend the money. I've seen a few comments on the app store of people complaining that data is not accurate and want to hear from the real world what the reality is.

Just fyi to all, Fizz's severe weather alert function is a mess! Multiple updates to the point you just ignore it...

They need to get the app together!

Thanks in advance!

BTW, for all the zips I've mentioned Apple's weather app is never more that 1-2 degrees different.

Rich

P.S I couldn't get the temperature lookup on their main website to display the temp for Trabuco Canyon and could not find Pasadena in the list.

Randman
Oct 2, 2008, 11:33 PM
Fizzweather is very, very good, and stable.

rixm
Oct 3, 2008, 12:08 AM
Fizzweather is very, very good, and stable.

Glad to hear that's your experience Randman. I don't believe I ever indicated Fizz was unstable.

I did however indicate that:

1) The source of weather data they are using is less than accurate in my experience (and I've tested many more locations than I've listed here. I've even tested Fizz against direct readings with a Kestrel handheld weather meter and had the same experience. Their support even indicated there were problems.

2) The severe weather alerts can be a real mess with multiple updates stating the same info etc.

3) Forgot this in the first post, but when I first installed Fizz, I entered multiple favorite locations and it would not maintain the sort order of same. This problem went away after I uninstalled the app and entered each of the 7 or 8 locations 1 by 1, exiting the setup screen after each and every one until they had all been entered in the order I wanted. This could have been a "one off" with my installation... We'll never know I suppose.

It's a "pretty" looking app I'll give them that, but "pretty" without being accurate is just useless to me.

Interestingly they just today posted a reply that they had corrected the forecasts for the areas I mentioned.

I'm going to monitor various places in the days ahead and let them know.

My biggest concern is as my family and I have taken a number of short weekend trips to various areas over the last month or so, every new location I've been to the weather data in Fizz has been off by a little or a lot (wind speed has always been off by enough of a margin that it's meaningless)

Time will tell.

Rich

rixm
Oct 3, 2008, 12:28 AM
Just checked temp for where I am currently and the good news is temperature in Fizz is spot on with Apples weather app and within 1-2 degrees of the 4 online sources I just checked. They are all off by a bit compared to what I just measured but I can accept that as variance since the sites were last updated, difference in where it's being measured locally vs where I am, the hill/valley nature of the area etc.

The bad news is those same sources report wind speeds from "calm" to 3,4 or 5 mph. Fizz says 12 mph. Walking outside it's currently dead calm.

Humidity, Fizz indicates 78% humidity, other sources are indicating 53-56%.

Again, these are my observations. Fizz may be spot on for where you live.

If they tout this as being an application suitable for US locations then they'll need to tighten up the accuracy of their data.

In my experience thus far, Apples simple weather app has been very close in every case so we know it can be done.

My apologies for jacking the thread off on this tangent regarding Fizz.

Cheers

Rich

trihard
Dec 3, 2008, 09:15 AM
What is up with this app? It hasn't been updated in a long time. I stopped using it because I had several big issues with it, including precip trend was never accurate, current precip was/is always 0 for me, even when it rains all day, and the forecast was also not very accurate (picture and text would say rain and no rain that day, or picture and text would say sunny and it was cloudy with rain). Also, hate that it doesn't keep your position on radar, and you constantly have to go in and zoom into wherever you are.

I was hoping they might fix these things, but since it has been so long since the last release, perhaps they have given up to? The weather app I have been using is the weather channel app, but it doesn't have animated radar.

TechJunky
Dec 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
I gave up too. I'm currently using accuweather's web app for animated radar, and weather underground's web app for forcasting & discussion (although it has animated radar as well). Both free and awesome.

apple.accuweather.com

i.wund.com

mikepj
Dec 4, 2008, 01:34 PM
Development has been ongoing. We took a brief detour to release MyWeather Mobile for Hong Kong and China, so that's why you haven't seen an update to the U.S. product in awhile. We're back working on the next version of the U.S. software, with some very nice improvements to the satellite imagery (including saving the satellite views for each location). A release hasn't been scheduled yet, but it's on the way. :-)

Thanks for checking in.

diesel
Dec 4, 2008, 06:07 PM
Development has been ongoing. We took a brief detour to release MyWeather Mobile for Hong Kong and China, so that's why you haven't seen an update to the U.S. product in awhile. We're back working on the next version of the U.S. software, with some very nice improvements to the satellite imagery (including saving the satellite views for each location). A release hasn't been scheduled yet, but it's on the way. :-)

Thanks for checking in.

i'm going to weigh in here mike and say that i'm a bit disappointed with the direction in which you have been taking your app. one of the biggest drawbacks to myweather is the lack of international cities. instead, it's pretty clear that you have chosen to walk down the path of providing "separate" apps for different countries/regions instead of expanding the base areas of your original app. as a freqent overseas business traveler, this has been a huge source of disappointment to the point where i feel that i "wasted" the $15 cost. Though i knew your app didn't provide int'l weather when i purchased it, i remember you mentioning that you were "working" on it so i made the purchase in the belief that you would eventually deliver on that. however.....as mentioned above, it doesn't seem like it will happen.

with that said, i no longer use myweather and have instead reverted to using the weather channel app which loads in a heart beat and provides a clean easy to view interface for current weather and future weather. another big reason for switching to the weather channel app and writing off the cost of you app, is the fact that often times i would find a discrepency in weather reports/forecasts between your app and the weather channel, and surprise surprise, the weather channel app has always been much more accurate so if basic weather forecasts can't be trusted in your app, it pretty much makes your app useless.

the only thing your app has that the weather channel app doesn't have at the moment is animated radar, though the weather channel video which can be viewed through their app does provide video images of the radar, still i do prefer a non video image of the radar as your app provides.

mikepj
Dec 11, 2008, 01:26 PM
Diesel: Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure your sentiments are forwarded on to the rest of the team.

Let me step back for a moment to give you some background on the project here. While I am the developer for the MyWeather Mobile application, I do not actually work for the company MyWeather. As you may have noticed in my signature, I have my own company called Gaucho Software, and have released a couple of products for the Mac (one of them being a desktop weather application called Seasonality). In this situation, I am acting as a contractor for MyWeather to develop this iPhone product. What this means is that while the rest of the MyWeather crew have been very receptive to my opinions and ideas of where to take the product, I'm not the final decision maker.

That said, MyWeather has relationships with a company in China that provided the weather data for the Hong Kong and China product. Part of their agreement, as I understand it, is to have a separate application for that region. As far as I know, we are still planning to expand to other regions of the world in the same primary MyWeather Mobile product as time goes on. Again, since I'm not the primary decision maker here, these plans could change.

As for the forecast accuracy, all I can do in this situation is pass your observations along. I wasn't involved in designing the forecast modeling code being used, or the code to actually provide the forecast to the iPhone application. Meteorology, like Information Technology, is a very rapidly developing field. Even in the past 7-8 years, major forecast advancements have taken place. Forecast models will often do well in certain atmospheric situations and even certain locations, but not so well in others. MyWeather does have a good team of meteorologists and engineers working there though, so I can imagine the situation will only improve as time goes on.

IJ Reilly
Dec 11, 2008, 01:29 PM
So you're saying that MyWeather has its own forecasters and models?

That would be astonishing.

orrelse44
Dec 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
So you're saying that MyWeather has its own forecasters and models?

That would be astonishing.

I laughed at that too.

What is this model Myweather is using? If the U.S. government can't even fund further development of the MM5 project, I doubt highly your company has some proprietary forecast model out there. Please elaborate.

opticalserenity
Dec 13, 2008, 09:42 PM
I too would like to see an update to MyWeather. Part of what makes iPhone development so special is how updates can get pushed out. MyWeather can be made faster, and certainly could use a few feature additions. As an iPhone Developer myself, I understand that our customers want updates, and we work to bring that out.

Honestly, this app should have been $5.99 and maybe $9.99 but certainly not $15.99. Oh well.

mikepj
Jan 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
I laughed at that too.

What is this model Myweather is using? If the U.S. government can't even fund further development of the MM5 project, I doubt highly your company has some proprietary forecast model out there. Please elaborate.

Yes, MyWeather does have meteorologists on staff to develop forecasts as well as a customized forecast model. This is fairly common for larger companies in the meteorology industry. The model was originally developed by the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and was adapted by MyWeather to fit their needs.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to believe. There are several open weather forecast models to choose from such as the GFS and WRF.

The MM5 project is much different from what we are talking about here. The MM5 is a mesoscale model, not a synoptic scale model like these others. Mesoscale models are great for simulating thunderstorms and generating very short-term forecasts, but they don't provide anything beyond a short-term forecast and certainly not out as far as 5-7 days.

iEdge
Feb 18, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have been reading the threads regarding the forecast. It looks like MyWeather has taken action. I emailed customer service asking why. Below is their explanation.

"The forecast differences were contained to a few regions of the US. These differences in the forecast (or current conditions) are the result of three issues: 1) forecast model output, 2) the number of weather observation stations and, 3) hourly temperature display.

Issue #1 is resolved.
Issue #2 is in the queue and thousands of new stations will be added this quarter.
Issue #3 will be resolved in an upcoming version."

trihard
Feb 25, 2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone out there try updating to 1.3? It says that it now has:

"–View previous cached weather conditions including persistent radar/satellite positioning"

Can anyone else confirm this, because I don't see how to keep a persistent radar position.

Also it says they updated the icon, but it looks the same to me...

mikepj
Feb 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
"–View previous cached weather conditions including persistent radar/satellite positioning"

Can anyone else confirm this, because I don't see how to keep a persistent radar position.

The persistent radar/satellite positioning will only work on regular locations, and not the GPS MyWeather Location. Try adding a typical city location and just scroll the map to where you want the position saved.

As for the icon, it was supposed to be switched for version 1.3, but for some reason the App Store didn't switch the icon for us. This will probably be fixed in version 1.4.

bobsegal
Feb 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
Has a problem with the Overlay buttons not seem to always work.
The selection color of them is also hard to tell which one is selected witch is making it hard to tell when you do select one.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Bob

mikepj
Feb 25, 2009, 04:09 PM
Has a problem with the Overlay buttons not seem to always work.
The selection color of them is also hard to tell which one is selected witch is making it hard to tell when you do select one.

Please send in a support request to iPhone@myweather.net so they can address these issues in a future release. The selection boxes are just standard iPhone selection boxes tinted black, so those probably can't be adjusted without Apple improving the interface. It would be good for them to know that this is an issue though.

Thanks!

trihard
Feb 26, 2009, 07:44 AM
Ok, I tried this but it didn't save the zoomed position. Is there something you need to do to have it save?

The persistent radar/satellite positioning will only work on regular locations, and not the GPS MyWeather Location. Try adding a typical city location and just scroll the map to where you want the position saved.

As for the icon, it was supposed to be switched for version 1.3, but for some reason the App Store didn't switch the icon for us. This will probably be fixed in version 1.4.

iEdge
Mar 23, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm just getting used to the whole tweet thing, heck even John McCain tweets, allegedly.

Anyway, MyWeather Mobile is now posting tweets. I'm going to see if I can ask more direct questions there, in addition to this forum.

iFerd
Mar 23, 2009, 05:43 PM
I really like the appearance of MyWeather and was happy I bought it. Until today. We just finished a Midwest US tornado warning in our city, and MyWeather provided no useful information about it. The radar map was accurate, but the watches and warnings were not noted anywhere. This is a real deal breaker where I live.