PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi iPods?

MacRumors
Dec 16, 2003, 05:41 PM
iPodLounge notes (http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments.php?id=2302_0_7_0_C) that Pepsi has recently purchased 600 Exo Cases (http://www.lajo.biz/iskin/) from Lajo.

According to the Lajo, "this marks the beginning of companies like Pepsi using exo and exo2 to represent their company colors or to carry their logo in 2004, a year of iPod giveaways."

Few other details available. Pepsi and Apple have already announced plans to give away 100 million iTunes Songs in specially marked Pepsi products starting February 1st, 2004.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 16, 2003, 05:44 PM
I've never really liked Pepsi, but this is making me like them. Too bad I don't drink carbonated beverages. I may start having to! A Pepsi iPod would be great! Just more exposer for Apple.

First Post (he he)

iJon
Dec 16, 2003, 05:45 PM
man apple is just on a roll. there is no stopping them.

iJon

arn
Dec 16, 2003, 05:49 PM
this doesn't make much sense to me...

Pepsi's going to add these skins to iPods before they give them away?

600's not that many really... Could they be used for demos somewhere?

Not sure where that Lajo statement came from... I guess we'll see.

arn

andyduncan
Dec 16, 2003, 05:51 PM
Does this mean that more iPod related gear or even iPods themselves will be part of the larger giveaway? Pepsi has been known for having tiered prizes... 100 Million songs, 600 iPod skins... Seems like a pretty flat pyramid value-wise.

Given the price of those skins, and the relatively low number of them, it sounds plausible that they'll be filled with iPods when the contest goes live.

100 million song winners.

10,000 first prizes: but what?.

600 grand-prizes: iPod with Limited Edition Pepsi skin.

edit: arn beat me to it.

missingdigits
Dec 16, 2003, 05:56 PM
I agree, 600 sounds like an odd number for giveaways. Perhaps perks for Pepsi executives or something? Christmas presents?

mdntcallr
Dec 16, 2003, 06:27 PM
Who Cares.

I am sure pepsi will give away more stuff than just the songs.

Ipods with custom skins sounds like a natural.

perhaps they will even do the low budget ipods coming in january.

ITR 81
Dec 16, 2003, 06:28 PM
Pepis just like McDonalds do a tier prize sys. This could be consider a top prize to have specially Pepsi skinned iPod. More then likely the iPods will be lasered engraved with a Pepsi slogan and probably the serial # 001 of 600.

Talk about some highly collectible Apple mech. there!!

If McDonalds does a deal with iTunes I wonder if we could see Micky D's special skinned iPods.

To make these sucker limited only makes folks want them more because they are rare.

ITR 81
Dec 16, 2003, 06:31 PM
These suckers will money makers in the the collectors market especially if they are #'ed.

It will probably be the first time you see folks forking over a grand for the #1 Pepsi skinned iPod.

Hell I may even consider bidding on one if I didn't win one.

iChan
Dec 16, 2003, 06:43 PM
exo skins look sweet! it would be so cool if they were just GIVING them away... who cares how many they bought... it might be only the first installment or something

Freg3000
Dec 16, 2003, 06:45 PM
I say Christmas gifts for excutives. Cutting it a little close though.

the_dalex
Dec 16, 2003, 06:46 PM
They very well could be for internal use, gifts to large accounts, or for the song giveaway. Our company has a huge Pepsi account, and they donate tens of thousands of dollars a year for scholarships for our student employees. I wouldn't be surprised if those iPods found their way into the hands of a few key deans or CEOs...

greenstork
Dec 16, 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by arn
this doesn't make much sense to me...

Pepsi's going to add these skins to iPods before they give them away?

600's not that many really... Could they be used for demos somewhere?

Not sure where that Lajo statement came from... I guess we'll see.

arn

I see it more as a prize level. Your run of the mill prize is an iTMS song, grand prize is an iPod or even a G5 and some medium level prizes are these iPod cases. This seems to make sense.

coumerelli
Dec 16, 2003, 07:36 PM
could be like this:

550 first prize - pepsi branded ipod/case

50 grand prize - ipod w/speakers/extras

who knows? all I know is that I'll be buying pepsi like mad (like I don't anyway) mmmmm...yum.

Gymnut
Dec 16, 2003, 07:36 PM
Well any free stuff is good news albeit I'm more of a Coke Cola drinker than Pepsi.

KLFloyd
Dec 16, 2003, 07:42 PM
Well, I don't drink Pepsi or any other carbonated beverages for that matter. But between the song giveaways and the possibality of iPods I'll have to start stocking Pepsi for my guests.

IJ Reilly
Dec 16, 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Well, I don't drink Pepsi or any other carbonated beverages for that matter.
Hmm, me either. Does beer count?

Maybe they'll use them as trade show premiums.

pivo6
Dec 16, 2003, 08:45 PM
I guess I'll have to change my drinking habits for the contest. I'm more of a Coke drinker than Pepsi.

As others have said, 600 seems to be an odd number for a giveaway. I do think it's more for internal clients, than for us, the consumers.

dukemeiser
Dec 16, 2003, 08:46 PM
Maybe they'll just give away the skins. But man, oh, man....if they give away iPods, I'm going to start living off of Pepsi. ;)

ggbrown
Dec 16, 2003, 09:24 PM
600 Sounds like a good number to give away AT the Superbowl.

Just a thought.

ddbean
Dec 16, 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by ggbrown
600 Sounds like a good number to give away AT the Superbowl.

Just a thought.

To add to that thought... how about the Super Bowl Half-time show? 600 dancing pepsi girls with matching Pepsi iPods?

themadchemist
Dec 16, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ddbean
To add to that thought... how about the Super Bowl Half-time show? 600 dancing pepsi girls with matching Pepsi iPods?

mmm...! :D

SeaFox
Dec 16, 2003, 11:11 PM
I think they're just giving away the skins. But if they are giving away iPods in them, thank God they're putting their logo on the eXo skin and not the iPod itself. That way I can take the skin OFF after I get it.

It really annoys me when a prize has to be an advertisement, too. It seems most car giveaways today are for vehicles with garish paint jobs and huge corporate logo decals on them.

Most companies are too cheap to even give away the cars now, they just give you a two year lease.

Sabenth
Dec 17, 2003, 12:44 AM
intresting and entertaning at the same time 600 pods is a lot really how longs the comp going for exsatly dose it tie up with 600 pods to be given away one a day or somthing like that maybe

skins is good so long as you can rip them off

sethypoo
Dec 17, 2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by dukemeiser
Maybe they'll just give away the skins. But man, oh, man....if they give away iPods, I'm going to start living off of Pepsi. ;)

Boy, I bet the Pepsi advertising department would love to read that statement.

k2k koos
Dec 17, 2003, 03:58 AM
I admire the fact that Apple is constantly looking for new ways to gain market share, and fun ways of product placements, it's just that ... well.... I don't like Pepsi, far too much sugar, Coca Cola any day here, sorry...

I wouldn't mind having a free iPod though.., but no I'm not drinking Pepsi, each to their own..;)

damieng
Dec 17, 2003, 06:01 AM
While browsing one of the official iSkin UK distributors I found a note about a chinese company called Lajo apparently ripping off the design and name and approaching official iSkin distributors and trying to get them to buy from them instead.

A full statement can be found at;

http://www.mann-trading.co.uk/production/iskin%20warning/iskinwarning.htm

[)amien

slavey
Dec 17, 2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by SeaFox
I think they're just giving away the skins. But if they are giving away iPods in them, thank God they're putting their logo on the eXo skin and not the iPod itself. That way I can take the skin OFF after I get it.

It really annoys me when a prize has to be an advertisement, too. It seems most car giveaways today are for vehicles with garish paint jobs and huge corporate logo decals on them.

Most companies are too cheap to even give away the cars now, they just give you a two year lease.

iSkin actually offers logo imprinting on their products: http://www.iskin.com/tattoo.html

thevil
Dec 17, 2003, 12:28 PM
Maybe they are for the commercials?

Moonlight
Dec 17, 2003, 02:48 PM
It seems alot of posts about this pepsi deal say "well I don't drink carbonated beverages..." or something like that...Do they think they are better than us coke or pepsi drinkers ??

"What will power they have !!!" we will say, or maybe we will just take another swig of fizzy sugar water and burp the gettysburg address ??

Who knows?:rolleyes:

TyWahn
Dec 28, 2003, 07:44 PM
Didn't ex-CEO Sculley come from Pepsi?

zolo
Apr 19, 2004, 12:19 PM
Just a heads up... I won one of the 600 Pepsi Ipods and will soon be placing it on Ebay.... As soon as I go pick it up.. Can't wait to see it. :D

wdlove
Apr 19, 2004, 02:17 PM
Just a heads up... I won one of the 600 Pepsi Ipods and will soon be placing it on Ebay.... As soon as I go pick it up.. Can't wait to see it. :D

Congratulations on your win zolo. I'm surprised that you aren't keeping a novelty item. Please post a link when you put it on eBay. Interested to see what it looks like.

slipper
Apr 19, 2004, 02:20 PM
for all i care, this pepsi giveaway is worthless. ive seen the itunes bottles for a week and ONE location and after that one week, there was no more.

Don't panic
Apr 19, 2004, 03:02 PM

post a picture! :cool:

zolo
Apr 23, 2004, 09:11 AM
Congratulations on your win zolo. I'm surprised that you aren't keeping a novelty item. Please post a link when you put it on eBay. Interested to see what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3093304631