PDA

View Full Version : Ringtones on iPhone 3G

LotuSviLLe
Jul 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
Ok I have a problem with Apple asking everyone to pay $1.98 for to get one ringtone on the iPhone 3G. My question is, can you set a song in the iPhone itself from ones music library to be a ringtone? If not, I am sure there is a way around this and I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to get ringtones on the iPhone for free.

Thanks.

ViperX
Jul 10, 2008, 08:07 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1358

LotuSviLLe
Jul 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
What if I'm on PC and cannot use GarageBand. ;[

HELP!

jsgrabo
Jul 10, 2008, 09:26 PM
1) get quicktime pro
2) open the song from itunes in quicktime
3) trim song to whatever you want
4) export as "song.m4r" (the "song" part being whatever you want to title it)
5) enjoy your new ringtone

ViperX
Jul 10, 2008, 10:42 PM
What if I'm one PC and cannot use GarageBand. ;[

HELP!

Apologies. You didn't state that, otherwise I would have said exactly what ^ said. :)

LotuSviLLe
Jul 11, 2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up using an m4a to mp3 converter, Audacity, and iTunes to get the ringtones working. Good stuff.

interesting
Jul 11, 2008, 01:35 AM
for those on a PC....
iRinger is the easiest thing I found. Makes ringtones from MP3's and automatically puts them in your ringtones folder in iTunes.

Still24
Jul 11, 2008, 02:15 AM
You shouldn't need anything other than iTunes.

1. In iTunes, right-click the song you want, go to 'Get Info' and change the start and end points so it's 30 seconds in length.
2. Right-click the song again, 'convert selection to AAC'.
3. Find this new file or drag it from iTunes to your desktop.
4. Rename the file extension from .m4a to .m4r.
5. Import it back into iTunes and it will appear as a ringtone. Tada!

I don't think this works with protected songs downloaded from the iTunes store, but should work with all others.

EDarkness
Jul 11, 2008, 04:52 AM
I picked up a 3G iPhone today and I made a ringtone, but it doesn't show on my list. ITunes shows the ringtone and it even shows in the ringtones folder in iTunes on the device, but when I go to the phone and look for the ringtone, it's not there. I've tried syncing, re-syncing, deleting everything and syncing again, but nothing works. Did Apple change how ringtones are handled? Will it only allow ringtones purchased from the Apple store now?

By the way, I don't have GarageBand 4, so I can't make a ringtone there, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

wsmith82
Jul 11, 2008, 08:43 PM
EDarkness...

I came onto this post becase I myself have just purchased a 3g iPhone today. This system did work for me (as Still24 posted). It could be that you haven't told iTunes to sync your ringtones to your device. While in iTunes with your iPhone plugged in, do the following:

Click your iPhone under the devices tree on the left side of the iTunes menu
Click the tab at the top of the iPhone menu that reads "Ringtones"
Put a checkmark in the option "Sync Ringtones"
and then choose which ones you want to transfer or all of them at once.

I have just done this today on my 3g iPhone with iTunes 7.7.0.43 with no errors. After this your phone syncs, go to your "Settings" menu on the iPhone, choose "Sounds", and then finally "Ringtones". It should now be listed as a "Custom Ringtone".

Hope I could be of some help...

kmay37
Jul 11, 2008, 09:13 PM
maybe I am just slow, but I am using vista and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do step number 4...chaning the file extenstion, i go to properties and see that it is mpeg but can't change it...what do i need to do?

1. In iTunes, right-click the song you want, go to 'Get Info' and change the start and end points so it's 30 seconds in length.

I don't think this works with protected songs downloaded from the iTunes store, but should work with all others.

Still24
Jul 12, 2008, 02:34 AM
For step 4, on Vista, open the folder containing the song you want to change. At the top left of the folder click the 'Organize' tab and click 'Folder and Search Options'. Then on the 'View' tab, uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' and apply. Then all your files will end in a .jpg or .m4a or something. You can just rename the .m4a to .m4r. You'll get a warning that it might make a file unreadable, but it's okay. Once you've changed it to .m4r just reimport it into iTunes. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. :p

parosser
Jul 12, 2008, 05:17 AM

Hi, I've tried this, several times....and it just does not appear under Ringtones in iTunes. Can anyone please help!?!?!?!?

stonard123
Jul 12, 2008, 06:21 AM
First post, please be gentle!

For MAC users i've just started using this http://www.download.com/iToner/3000-2202_4-10754054.html?hhTest=1&tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10854592

You simply just drag and drop any MP3 or AAC file into the programme and it will Sync it into your iPhone straight away.

You get a free 30 day trial so you should be able to make enough ringtones in that time!!

AnonymousOne
Jul 12, 2008, 07:46 AM
Is it possible to use ringtones I've made as Sms ringtones?

kmay37
Jul 12, 2008, 09:52 AM
For step 4, on Vista, open the folder containing the song you want to change. At the top left of the folder click the 'Organize' tab and click 'Folder and Search Options'. Then on the 'View' tab, uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' and apply. Then all your files will end in a .jpg or .m4a or something. You can just rename the .m4a to .m4r. You'll get a warning that it might make a file unreadable, but it's okay. Once you've changed it to .m4r just reimport it into iTunes. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. :p

Worked GREAT!! Thank you very much!

Inf4life
Jul 12, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hi, I've tried this, several times....and it just does not appear under Ringtones in iTunes. Can anyone please help!?!?!?!?

Same with me. Can anyone help me out with this??

Inf4life
Jul 12, 2008, 12:23 PM
Anyone???

alfredog1976
Jul 12, 2008, 12:40 PM

Things to try:

1. Make sure clip is under 30 seconds in length.

2. Make sure File extensions are not hidden. In Windows, go to "Tools->Folder Options" and select "View" tab. Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked. Retry step 4 that Still24 posted. For Mac, I don't recall the equivalent method, I'll look in my MacBook and post the steps.

3. Once renamed to .m4r, double click on the file and iTunes should open up and you should see your ringtone in the Ringtone section automatically.

sidewalkscenes
Jul 12, 2008, 03:31 PM
i am so excited i have made a ton of ringtones so far. with tmobile sk3 i was paying $3 - $5 for each ringtone i had :(

heatherlovesmac
Jul 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
I'm new the the iPhone thing, as the 3G is my first. But I used the ringtone maker in iTunes, bought my ringtone and it does not transfer to the Ringtones area nor does it sync up with my phone. I tried it a few times. Any ideas?

ANF1017
Jul 12, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'm new the the iPhone thing, as the 3G is my first. But I used the ringtone maker in iTunes, bought my ringtone and it does not transfer to the Ringtones area nor does it sync up with my phone. I tried it a few times. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem. What's up with this?

Inf4life
Jul 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
Just download iToner for free and use the free trial. It works just fine for me.

FLYING SE7EN
Jul 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'm trying this, but on step 2 where I'm supposed to 'covert selection to AAC', I only have the option to covert to mp3. Is there a setting I need to change to do this?

I'm using the newest version of iTunes and Windows XP on a Dell PC.

Thanks.

J.

ANF1017
Jul 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
Ok, but on iToner, is there a way to not have the entire song as a ringtone?

sidewalkscenes
Jul 12, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm trying this, but on step 2 where I'm supposed to 'covert selection to AAC', I only have the option to covert to mp3. Is there a setting I need to change to do this?

Thanks.

J.

mine didnt say 'convert selection to AAC' it said 'convert selection to Apple Lossless format' or something, which i assumed was supposed to do the same thing, and it did. ive been making ringtones since i found out it worked! :)

FLYING SE7EN
Jul 12, 2008, 04:47 PM
Changed my 'import using...' preference to AAC and it worked. Probably would've worked if I left it at mp3, but nonetheless, it worked. Not as polished as using iRinger, but it'll do in a pinch if iRinger tones aren't supported.....

J.

Inf4life
Jul 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ok, but on iToner, is there a way to not have the entire song as a ringtone?

Just use these steps right here.

3. Find this new file or drag it from iTunes to iToner and sync up your iPhone and it will be in your ringtones under custom.

BLee17
Jul 12, 2008, 05:16 PM
for those on a PC....
iRinger is the easiest thing I found. Makes ringtones from MP3's and automatically puts them in your ringtones folder in iTunes.

So awesome! Took 5 minutes to download, learn how to use, and upload to iTunes--program does ALL the work!!! *Only* thing is the quality is not ideal.

Another question: anyone know how to change your text message and voice mail chime to using a custom ringtone???

sidewalkscenes
Jul 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
i showed my boyfriends sister how i did it cause she was paying for her ringtones on her old iphone. how can she do it from her mac? we were able to get up to the changing of the filetype from m4a to m4r, but she can't drag it back into itunes library or directly to her phone.

kj123492
Jul 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
audiko.net
super easy

ANF1017
Jul 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
Just use these steps right here.

3. Find this new file or drag it from iTunes to iToner and sync up your iPhone and it will be in your ringtones under custom.

Thank you! :):):)

alfredog1976
Jul 12, 2008, 11:40 PM

Thanks.

J.

In iTunes, go to "Edit->Preferences". Select "Advanced" tab. In "Advanced" tab, select "Importing" tab. Set "Import Using:" drop down list to "AAC Encoder".

Amdor
Jul 13, 2008, 08:34 AM
Things to try:

1. Make sure clip is under 30 seconds in length.

2. Make sure File extensions are not hidden. In Windows, go to "Tools->Folder Options" and select "View" tab. Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked. Retry step 4 that Still24 posted. For Mac, I don't recall the equivalent method, I'll look in my MacBook and post the steps.

3. Once renamed to .m4r, double click on the file and iTunes should open up and you should see your ringtone in the Ringtone section automatically.

Thankyou very much, it worked!! Tried to import the song, but wouldn't have it. Just clicked on the song on my desktop and it all worked perfectly. I'm using Vista for people's info

ryuubushi
Jul 16, 2008, 06:43 PM

For those that are having problem with this method - I did one more step and it worked for me after Step 4 - add Step 4.a: rename the file so it doesn't think its the original music file

ie. original > song.m4a
new > song1.m4r

dubbedout
Jul 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
audiko.net
super easy

+1 for that and I've also used Mobile17.com as well.

Bindi
Jul 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
EDarkness...

I came onto this post becase I myself have just purchased a 3g iPhone today. This system did work for me (as Still24 posted). It could be that you haven't told iTunes to sync your ringtones to your device. While in iTunes with your iPhone plugged in, do the following:

I have just done this today on my 3g iPhone with iTunes 7.7.0.43 with no errors. After this your phone syncs, go to your "Settings" menu on the iPhone, choose "Sounds", and then finally "Ringtones". It should now be listed as a "Custom Ringtone".

Thanks so much for posting this, I really appreciate it!:)

jerseyjoey732
Jul 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
Now what about changing text message sounds?

movielover21
Jul 18, 2008, 12:51 AM
Please refer to my post about ringtones:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4541745#post4541745

Hope that helps.

PrinceDraven
Jul 18, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hi,
Running Leopard, iTunes7.7
iPhone 3G
Tried all the steps, but can't get any ringtones to show.
Should I have a Ringtones section in my library? Because I haven't!
Trimmed file to 30 seconds (or less), converted to ACC fine, found the file, renamed to m4r, worked fine, imported and it shows as a 30 second music file under the original, but on the iPhone Ringtones tab, there are no files underneath.

REALLY want to get some funky ringtones on here, so i can show it off! :)

Please help!

PrinceDraven
Jul 18, 2008, 05:35 AM
ok, quick update, got the ringtones directory to show under the library now, BUT it is empty, and even after trying another 5 times of trimming converting, importing the m4r files do not appear there. They just appear to be short music files rather than ringtones.:(

PrinceDraven
Jul 18, 2008, 06:11 AM
Got it to work eventually.
Small step I was missing (which I do not think was in any of the instructions i have seen so far) is that you must delete the coy of the short version of your file from itunes before importing the new m4r file.

Everything working great now.:)

nvmisfit
Jul 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
1) get quicktime pro

I tried the above, but cant get itunes to recognize the file as a ringtone. If I click on the file it shows it as a ringtone, but it does not show up in itunes. Any ideas?:confused:

ballen420
Jul 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
Mac Users:

This step by step process should get you ripping ringtones from Garageband in minutes. So easy. Just make sure the ringtone is 39 seconds or shorter - if you add a loop to the ringtone, as shown in the instructions, also make sure that loop doesn't exceed 39 seconds. I've ripped a ton and have had no issues.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/08/tuaw-tip-make-iphone-ringtones-with-garageband/

sagittaru
Jul 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm

and you're good to go ^^

Hooksta
Jul 19, 2008, 04:00 PM
Where do you purchase ringtones for the iPhone 3g? I don't see a place in the iTunes Store? I do see it (empty) under my Library.

waf76
Jul 19, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ionly have the option to covert to mp3. Is there a setting I need to change to do this?'m trying this, but on step 2 where I'm supposed to 'covert selection to AAC', I

Thanks.

J.

Make sure in itunes that you go to edit preferences and check copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library and all the other steps as described above and it should work...check out this link, it visualizes it perfectly for u...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfC4SVa_pQ

Hooksta
Jul 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
OK...I followed the YouTube video and believe it or not I can actually see a 13 second, M4R ring tone file on iTunes under (Devices - my iPhone, under the tab ringtones). This is good I think. So I make sure the M4R file is selected (checked) and hit sync but I never see the file on my iPhone.

I am looking at ringtones under settings/sounds/ringtones but I don't see anything but the defaults. How could I come this far and still miss it? Is there another spot for "custom" ringtones that I am overlooking?

Just to confirm - I also have the bell looking icon on iTunes and it shows my custom new ringtones AND my iPhone icon on iTunes also shows the new ringtone under the ringtone tab and yes the box is checked and I have sync'd it. Just can't find it if it did transfer on to the iPhone itself.

Thanks!

Mr Goodkat
Jul 22, 2008, 04:52 PM
1) get quicktime pro

This works brilliantly, thank you so much, shame you have to trim the songs though

hkftw
Jul 22, 2008, 05:53 PM
Probably the easiest solution:

www.audiko.net

Hundreds of premade iPhone ringtones and if they don't have one that you want, it takes about a minute to create your own - no registration required.

sfboarders
Jul 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
I just bought my 3g today and I created a <30 sec. aac file with http://makeownringtone.com/ and renamed it to m4r. I double click it and iTunes opens but I don't see it in the ringtones directory. I try drag and dropping but nothing happens.

Using latest version of iTunes 7.7.0.43 on Vista

schubes
Jul 29, 2008, 12:20 AM
This link cropped up yesterday, and it's literally amazing!

http://audiko.net/en.html

Just upload your choosen song in .Mp3, cut,
and download in .M4r format for iPhone!

I take no credit in finding this, someone posted it yesterday.

R-Fly

Thanks for reposting this - works awesome for creating custom ring tones and alarm sounds. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use custom SMS/text sounds? Thanks

impasto
Jul 29, 2008, 01:49 AM
Probably the easiest solution:

www.audiko.net

Hundreds of premade iPhone ringtones and if they don't have one that you want, it takes about a minute to create your own - no registration required.

That was just too easy. Great link!

Saturnos77
Jul 29, 2008, 05:24 PM
EDarkness...

I've tried that but only the first three ringtones appear in my phone...any ideas?

criscris
Jul 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
ok, quick update, got the ringtones directory to show under the library now, BUT it is empty, and even after trying another 5 times of trimming converting, importing the m4r files do not appear there. They just appear to be short music files rather than ringtones.:(

same here. Over and over the rings don't show up. Even with sync checked. Also on the left side there is no ringtunes tab. So I assume everyone means click "your" iPhone name, then across the top tabs I go to ringtunes, ok. But I don't see any ringtunes that are already on my phone either. Also, when I'm done converting to aac, I hit open in windows explorer and then I rename it to the new extension. Then I go to drag it back to iTunes and it doesn't move over into iTunes or does but will not show up in ringtunes. iTunes 7 is what I'm using.

azolla
Jul 29, 2008, 09:50 PM
Have you try iPhone ringtone maker, it works very good.

criscris
Jul 29, 2008, 10:10 PM
Have you try iPhone ringtone maker, it works very good.thats what I'm using. Simple enough although when It asks you to save it as a file name, leaving it as an mp3 or changing the extension to m4, when I click send to iPhone nothing happens. It acts like it did but there's no ringtune added on my phone. I'm stumped!!

sfboarders
Jul 29, 2008, 11:18 PM
Did more searching and found iRinger (http://www.iringer.net/). This works like a charm. :)

Soreo
Jul 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
www.audiko.net.

Free ringtones for iPhone.

Problem solved.

I knew that watching Chris Pirillo's live shows would come in handy one day...

azolla
Jul 30, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hey criscris, what version of iphone ringtone maker do you have? I think you might have to update it to version 2.5.1. I have it and it's easy to make ringtones, using itunes music. Once you select a song and adjust it to where you want it to start and stop, click make a ringtone, then send to itune. Iphone ringtone maker will transfer the song to your itune ringtone file.

Version 2.5.1 iphone ringtone maker will work with itune 7.7.

criscris
Jul 30, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hey criscris, what version of iphone ringtone maker do you have? I think you might have to update it to version 2.5.1. I have it and it's easy to make ringtones, using itunes music. Once you select a song and adjust it to where you want it to start and stop, click make a ringtone, then send to itune. Iphone ringtone maker will transfer the song to your itune ringtone file.

Version 2.5.1 iphone ringtone maker will work with itune 7.7.im gonna check. Plus I'm running iTunes 7, so I'm assuming I should upgrade to 7.7 as well. Thanks.

ballen420
Jul 30, 2008, 02:54 PM
I've tried that but only the first three ringtones appear in my phone...any ideas?

Check to see if they are over 39 seconds. I downloaded a bunch from there that didn't show up on my phone as well - they were all 40 seconds in length, which ended up being a few milliseconds too long for the phone to recognize.

Anything under 40 should work. At least in my experience.

criscris
Jul 30, 2008, 05:20 PM
www.audiko.net.

Free ringtones for iPhone.

Problem solved.
Actually, if you've seen some previous comments in this thread, and speaking for myself, the issue isn't renaming files. It's getting ringtonemaker or iTunes to send them to an iPhone - which although the program says "sent to iphone", it isn't working. Through iTunes alot of us seem stumped as well. Not only is iTunes not showing my preinstalled iPhone rings, it isn't showing anything related to the new files supposedly sent to the phone. The latest iTunes has also made zero difference. And I cannot find a download of the latest ringtonemaker 2.5.1.

If anyone is kind enough to explain what they are using and where to look etc, a step by step would be great!! Thanks!! :)

Anyone?

Saturnos77
Aug 1, 2008, 01:11 PM
Check to see if they are over 39 seconds. I downloaded a bunch from there that didn't show up on my phone as well - they were all 40 seconds in length, which ended up being a few milliseconds too long for the phone to recognize.

Anything under 40 should work. At least in my experience.

tried that...no luck

shadowsoze
Aug 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
iRinger is what i use, 30 seconds is all it caps it at, and calls go to voicemail before 30 seconds anyways...i think.

ange7146
Aug 2, 2008, 08:12 AM
www.audiko.net.

Thank guys, this site is the best thing ever!!!!!!

Aznsensation45
Aug 2, 2008, 01:32 PM
This is all you need to do to make your own ringtones...

http://lethann.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/howto-make-your-own-custom-ringtones-for-iphone-20-3g/

I've made over 20 already..using this method. very helpful.

AutomaticHaze
Aug 4, 2008, 12:45 PM
I just got my iphone 3g 8gb black, two days ago. Im most likely being a super noob or just over-protective, but i used the method were you only use itunes and change the file name.
It works for me.. my question is would this in anyway void my 1 year factory warranty?
Haha, thanks in advance.

platdag
Aug 9, 2008, 04:36 AM
Okay, I have iTunes 7.7.1.11 and my iPhone 3G is sporting 2.0.1 and this worked for me - I just did this literally minutes ago. I am using Windows Vista.

I made sure that my file extensions were shown (Folder Options -> View) under the "Advanced Settings" box by *UNCHECKING* "Hide extensions for Known File Types"

Then, I went to my iTunes folder on my compy (Start -> Music -> iTunes) and I *CREATED* a folder named Ringtones.

I restarted iTunes and the folder showed up immediately on the left hand side under the "Library" section.

Then, in iTunes, I went to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing and under "Import Using" I selected "AAC Encoder"

I then selected a song to use. I right clicked and selected "Get Info". I then went to "Options" and went down and modified the Start/Stop times as I pleased. I made sure that the length was no longer than 30 seconds and I made sure that both the "Start" and "Stop" boxes were checked.

Once I did that, it went back to the standard screen and I right-clicked the newly modified song and selected "Convert Selection to AAC"

Once it converted I immediately moved that new copy to my desktop. I then *IMMEDIATELY* (this was key for me, folks!) DELETED the COPY (by selecting "Delete" and "Move to the Recycle Bin" for the prompts).

I then put the original back to it's former glory by unchecking the "Start" and "Stop" boxes.

On my desktop I renamed the songs from xxxx.m4a to xxxx.m4r

I double-clicked the renamed file and it opened up in iTunes, under the "Ringtones" folder.

I hooked up my iPhone and synced the ringtones (by selecting the iPhone on the left and then the "Ringtones" tab in that menu) and they were on my iPhone once the syncing was complete.

Congratulations, you have your favorite music in ring tone form!

I know that I have repeated a lot of what was already here, but for me these exact steps are what worked. I did this because I am sure that there are quite a few of you out there who get tired of downloading programs and just want to do it the manual way, just like me. Not that there is anything wrong with 3rd party software, I just found a quick little process and this worked for me just fine. I found that there was no change in sound quality, either.

Thanks to all you out there who figured this out and posted it for the rest of us to use! : D

:apple: Good luck! :D

Col Ronson
Aug 9, 2008, 07:40 AM
What if I'm on PC and cannot use GarageBand. ;[

HELP!

Why haven't you switched yet then?

dutchie000
Aug 9, 2008, 11:02 AM
Here is a video tutorial that worked for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te4hNREAy00

Lauren64
Aug 15, 2008, 08:24 PM

I did the same, and everything seemed okay-- it appears in my ringtones folder on itunes, and i have selected to sync with all ringtones, however when it starts to sync it says "Song title" unable to sync, file not found. I'm not sure what this means considering it is in the same folder all of my itunes music is in, and it appears and plays fine from itunes itself.

Any help on this?:confused:

Lauren64
Aug 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, I have iTunes 7.7.1.11 and my iPhone 3G is sporting 2.0.1 and this worked for me - I just did this literally minutes ago. I am using Windows Vista.

I made sure that my file extensions were shown (Folder Options -> View) under the "Advanced Settings" box by *UNCHECKING* "Hide extensions for Known File Types"

Then, I went to my iTunes folder on my compy (Start -> Music -> iTunes) and I *CREATED* a folder named Ringtones.

I restarted iTunes and the folder showed up immediately on the left hand side under the "Library" section.

Then, in iTunes, I went to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing and under "Import Using" I selected "AAC Encoder"

I then selected a song to use. I right clicked and selected "Get Info". I then went to "Options" and went down and modified the Start/Stop times as I pleased. I made sure that the length was no longer than 30 seconds and I made sure that both the "Start" and "Stop" boxes were checked.

Once I did that, it went back to the standard screen and I right-clicked the newly modified song and selected "Convert Selection to AAC"

Once it converted I immediately moved that new copy to my desktop. I then *IMMEDIATELY* (this was key for me, folks!) DELETED the COPY (by selecting "Delete" and "Move to the Recycle Bin" for the prompts).

I then put the original back to it's former glory by unchecking the "Start" and "Stop" boxes.

On my desktop I renamed the songs from xxxx.m4a to xxxx.m4r

I double-clicked the renamed file and it opened up in iTunes, under the "Ringtones" folder.

I hooked up my iPhone and synced the ringtones (by selecting the iPhone on the left and then the "Ringtones" tab in that menu) and they were on my iPhone once the syncing was complete.

Congratulations, you have your favorite music in ring tone form!

I know that I have repeated a lot of what was already here, but for me these exact steps are what worked. I did this because I am sure that there are quite a few of you out there who get tired of downloading programs and just want to do it the manual way, just like me. Not that there is anything wrong with 3rd party software, I just found a quick little process and this worked for me just fine. I found that there was no change in sound quality, either.

Thanks to all you out there who figured this out and posted it for the rest of us to use! : D

:apple: Good luck! :D

Thank you! I was doing this basically but missing a step or two, now it works.. awesome!

totread
Aug 16, 2008, 06:43 AM

This works brilliantly - Thank you very much.

Tom T.

totread
Aug 16, 2008, 06:49 AM

Do you have the Ringtones folder selected on the left side of the ITunes window when you import? Otherwise the ringtone is imported into the library (on a Mac, anyway).

Tom T.

wmitz
Aug 17, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi, I was able to follow the instructions to get a ringtone and import it into the iPhone 3G, but changing the file to a .m4r. But when i try to add another ringtone, the iPhone simply adds another copy of the first ringtone. And if there's a 3rd added, it simply adds a third copy of the first one, etc.
Anyone know of a way to get around this to import more than one ringtone?
Thanks.
-wayne

cjoshuav
Aug 18, 2008, 04:41 PM

This should be stickied or bronzed or something! Thank you SO much for explaining this. Now I can make my MP3 Ringtones iPhone ringtones. HOORAY!

Thanks again!

Joshua

Nikki S
Aug 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know how to make these ringtones into sms alerts?
I am able to get them onto the iphone but not sure how to do it from there.
Thanks

celbii
Aug 26, 2008, 08:31 PM
I used Iringer and it worked perfectly for me =)

patd
Sep 1, 2008, 10:51 PM
This is how I make ring tones from my itunes library.

Making Ring tones for your Iphone
(Will work on unprotected songs)

1. Go to Control Panel / Folder options / View tabs / Make sure that the Hide Extension box is not checked.

2. Pick your song to be made into a ring tone from your music library, right click on it, choose “ ring tones” box opens saying it cant be made into a ring tone, click “ok” (just to show you that it can be done)

3. Right click on selected song and pick “Get Info” go to the “options tab” and make sure that the start and stop box’s are check, A ring tone can only be 40 seconds long, start the song anywhere you want to in the start box and stop it at 40 seconds or less in the stop box. Click ok when you have decided.

4. Go back to song in itunes library and right click on it choose “convert selection to AAC”

5. Song will show up in itune library at 40 sec or less. Next to original song, song will start playing in itunes so just pause it.

6. Select 40 sec version and right click on it, select “show in windows explorer”

7. Go back to 40 second version song in itunes library and select it and right click, choose “delete, pop up window comes up, select “keep file”

8. Go back to windows explorer select your song and click on title so that you can change the name of it, Change only the file name from “m4a” to “m4r” pop up window comes up saying file will be unstable, click “ok”

9. Close window explorer, go back to itunes library and right click on song to reopen windows explorer, select your song and drag it to your itune music library. Go to ring tones in itunes, and select your song, double click on the little arrow next to the title, Itunes store will be accessed, song should now be in your ring tones

10. Make sure that song is checked so that when you sync your iphone it will be synced to your iphone, Your finished..!!

Nikki S
Sep 2, 2008, 01:27 AM
I found the easiest way was to use Audiko. It makes them into ringtones and puts them into itunes automatically.
And best of all they're free.

hegotgame34x
Sep 14, 2008, 10:53 AM
Ok, so I followed the steps you provided and it worked and everything. Now I just don't know where to find the ringtone on the actual iphone 3g itself. I went to settings and searched under ringtones, but they just have the default ones that came with the phone. Can you please help me? thanks =]

jsquared
Sep 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hi, I was able to follow the instructions to get a ringtone and import it into the iPhone 3G, but changing the file to a .m4r. But when i try to add another ringtone, the iPhone simply adds another copy of the first ringtone. And if there's a 3rd added, it simply adds a third copy of the first one, etc.
Anyone know of a way to get around this to import more than one ringtone?
Thanks.
-wayne

I'm having this problem as well. I had two custom ringtones and after downloading 2.1 I've tried adding two more. So when I move the the ringtones to iTunes in the ringtones section and the phone syncs I'll have 4 copies of the same song. Is anyone else seeing this? And is there something I can do get all 4 on my phone? And not 4 of the same one? This is completely frustrating.

cpljwlusmc
Sep 14, 2008, 05:40 PM
1. Click on iTunes – Library
2. Click the song you’d like to edit
3. Locate the start and end times of the selection you want. To do this, move the iTunes playback head (at the top of iTunes) to the start of the selection and note the start time. Then move the playback head to the end of the selection and note the end (stop) time.
4. Click on the Song File – Get Info – Options
5. Click on Start Time and enter the start time you noted
6. Click on Stop Time and enter the end time you noted
7. Click on OK
8. Click on iTunes – Edit - Preferences – Importing
9. In Import Using, click on AAC Encoder
10. Click on OK
11. Right Click on the Track thats been added – Convert Selection to AAC
12. Right click the new AAC track and choose to find in on your computer
13. Rename the new AAC track as a .m4r
14. Double click the new .m4r which will open up into the ringtones section of iTunes
15. Sync new ringtone to iphone

jsquared
Sep 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm having this problem as well. I had two custom ringtones and after downloading 2.1 I've tried adding two more. So when I move the the ringtones to iTunes in the ringtones section and the phone syncs I'll have 4 copies of the same song. Is anyone else seeing this? And is there something I can do get all 4 on my phone? And not 4 of the same one? This is completely frustrating.

Apparently the problem was I was moving the song straight to the ringtones tab in iTunes and for the phone. You need to play the m4r file. now it works fine.

If anyone cares.....

hegotgame34x
Sep 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
ok so i did everything you said and i STILL cant find the ringtone. it is no where to be found. if you can please help me some more, my personal email address is hegotgame34x@aol.com. thank you for your time

HiFiGuy528
Sep 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
I love my "I'm Too Sexy" ring tone created with GB 08'. :)

hegotgame34x
Sep 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yes! Thank You! Renaming The Song Worked! I Titled It As Song 1, Instead Of The Real Title. Youre Amazing! :d

craigverse
Sep 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
Check this place out;

http://audiko.net/

Fricken awesome. :]

Raja
Sep 18, 2008, 01:29 PM
OK. I have tried this, and it doesn't work. I'm able to convert the music to and AAC file. I'm able to rename it to a .m4r file. But I cannot open it, save it or drag it to the Ringtone tab is iTunes.

Perhaps this has been disabled in iTunes 8???? Does anyone know?

1. Click on iTunes – Library
2. Click the song you’d like to edit
3. Locate the start and end times of the selection you want. To do this, move the iTunes playback head (at the top of iTunes) to the start of the selection and note the start time. Then move the playback head to the end of the selection and note the end (stop) time.
4. Click on the Song File – Get Info – Options
5. Click on Start Time and enter the start time you noted
6. Click on Stop Time and enter the end time you noted
7. Click on OK
8. Click on iTunes – Edit - Preferences – Importing
9. In Import Using, click on AAC Encoder
10. Click on OK
11. Right Click on the Track thats been added – Convert Selection to AAC
12. Right click the new AAC track and choose to find in on your computer
13. Rename the new AAC track as a .m4r
14. Double click the new .m4r which will open up into the ringtones section of iTunes
15. Sync new ringtone to iphone

RobbRock
Sep 18, 2008, 04:32 PM
Use www.audiko.net is the best site for Ringtones

madonnasmanone
Sep 20, 2008, 11:36 PM
Use www.audiko.net is the best site for Ringtones

I can't get this site to open. What's the deal?

garyjcarr
Oct 1, 2008, 07:07 PM

I did 1) 2) Under advanced I clicked create ACC Version and heard a ping.
3) When I dragged the song from Itunes to desktop the extension showed the tile of the song followed by .mp3- there was no .m4a . what could the problem be? Gary

garyjcarr
Oct 2, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have my song in a .m4r format on my desktop but can't import it into itunes.
I've tried dragging it as well as searching for import - nothing - can you advise?

MacGiver
Oct 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
Same here...i have converted it to m4r...i have clicked on it and in my library it shows as a ringtone in the 'type' column...but i cant grad the m4r file that is n my desktop to the ringtone itunes folder

ramzez
Feb 25, 2009, 07:34 PM
OK...I followed the YouTube video and believe it or not I can actually see a 13 second, M4R ring tone file on iTunes under (Devices - my iPhone, under the tab ringtones). This is good I think. So I make sure the M4R file is selected (checked) and hit sync but I never see the file on my iPhone.

I am looking at ringtones under settings/sounds/ringtones but I don't see anything but the defaults. How could I come this far and still miss it? Is there another spot for "custom" ringtones that I am overlooking?

Just to confirm - I also have the bell looking icon on iTunes and it shows my custom new ringtones AND my iPhone icon on iTunes also shows the new ringtone under the ringtone tab and yes the box is checked and I have sync'd it. Just can't find it if it did transfer on to the iPhone itself.

Thanks!

i have a list of ringtones shown up in Library, i have ticked the Sync Ringtones box, but none are transferred, under iphone Ringtones nothing shows up, why?

manofthehill
May 6, 2009, 01:59 AM

For MAC users i've just started using this http://www.download.com/iToner/3000-2202_4-10754054.html?hhTest=1&tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10854592

You simply just drag and drop any MP3 or AAC file into the programme and it will Sync it into your iPhone straight away.

You get a free 30 day trial so you should be able to make enough ringtones in that time!!

I downloaded and launched this hastily. It launched iTunes by itself, but without any of my songs or playlists showing. I am incredibly bummed, and still no ringtones...

Any suggestions on quick ways to repopulate iTunes would be appreciated. This is not good.

Remag1234
Dec 15, 2009, 07:10 PM

Excellent App:D. :) Ambrosia also makes Easy Envelopes, another goodie. :)

bujakid
Feb 17, 2010, 04:38 PM
Ok i was able to get the ringtone that i wanted into ringtones folder into my itune but i cannot get it to sync into my iphone, I click on settings-sounds-ringtone but I only see the ringtones that comes with the phone, where do I find my custome ringtone that i chose and get it to work?

Gav2k
Feb 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
Are you actually syncing them across? Plug iPhone in click it in the left panel then select the ringtones tab and select sync all.

One it's done go into you ringtones and they will be there if they meet the correct ringtone type for use on the iPhone.

-aggie-
Feb 17, 2010, 07:52 PM
Ok i was able to get the ringtone that i wanted into ringtones folder into my itune but i cannot get it to sync into my iphone, I click on settings-sounds-ringtone but I only see the ringtones that comes with the phone, where do I find my custome ringtone that i chose and get it to work?

What's the extension on the ringtone?

benhamean
Feb 8, 2012, 06:57 PM
EDarkness...

I had to register to this forum just to one up this answer, thank you so much!
I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wouldn't be turned on in the first place!