PDA

View Full Version : How do I update the .Mac icon in System Preferences to MobileMe?

Tsurisuto
Jul 11, 2008, 05:03 AM
I thought it would happen via a software update, but nothing has come through as of yet.

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2008, 05:05 AM
I thought it would happen via a software update, but nothing has come through as of yet.

The software update should have done it. It did for me.

Tsurisuto
Jul 11, 2008, 05:07 AM
The software update should have done it. It did for me.

There's been no software update for me to download. It says that all my software is up to date. :(

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2008, 05:10 AM
There's been no software update for me to download. It says that all my software is up to date. :(

Ahh, that explains it. The update hasn't been "officially" released yet. A few posted links to it and people downloaded and installed it early. But you're not missing anything. They're still having severe problems with the service, so you're better off waiting till they have it up and running and Software Update finds it. For the most part, it's not working yet.

Tsurisuto
Jul 11, 2008, 05:15 AM
Ahh, that explains it. The update hasn't been "officially" released yet. A few posted links to it and people downloaded and installed it early. But you're not missing anything. They're still having severe problems with the service, so you're better off waiting till they have it up and running and Software Update finds it. For the most part, it's not working yet.

The funny thing is that the MobileMe site does not entirely work with Safari 4.

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2008, 05:19 AM

That's what I'm talking about. It doesn't work, no matter which browser you're using.

Tsurisuto
Jul 11, 2008, 05:21 AM
That's what I'm talking about. It doesn't work, no matter which browser you're using.

It's working fine for me with FireFox 3. I haven't had one problem since this morning.

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2008, 05:24 AM
It's working fine for me with FireFox 3. I haven't had one problem since this morning.

But you haven't installed MobileMe.

Tsurisuto
Jul 11, 2008, 05:28 AM
But you haven't installed MobileMe.

Either you're confused or I am?

The software update is only to change the .Mac icon in system preferences and change a few settings in Mail, isn't it?

MobileMe is a website, I'm accessing through me.com (which works fine with FireFox, but not with Safari 4).

GGJstudios
Jul 11, 2008, 05:32 AM
Either you're confused or I am?

The software update is only to change the .Mac icon in system preferences and change a few settings in Mail, isn't it?

MobileMe is a website, I'm accessing through me.com (which works fine with FireFox, but not with Safari 4).

I believe there's a lot more to it than that, or they wouldn't be having so many problems with it. Here's a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5773038#post5773038) that most are posting in regarding this issue.

Alan Taylor
Jul 11, 2008, 06:38 AM
The icon is cute, but I hope they don't move too much in that direction. It's a terrible design decision to have everything as rounded off squares...

Tsurisuto
Jul 11, 2008, 06:44 AM
It's now 12.45pm on Friday here in the UK. Where is my 2.0 iPhone software?!

glasserp
Jul 11, 2008, 08:03 AM
Sorry if it's been mentioned already (there are so many different threads already on MobileMe), but I downloaded the pkg that was found from the XML file, or whatever, and there are still a few references to .mac around, in iPhoto for example. Anyone else notice?

erikistired
Jul 11, 2008, 09:31 AM

safari 4 hasn't been officially released yet, so i'm sure apple is focusing on existing browsers first (safari 3, firefox 3, intern...wait not that one).

theinjuryexpert
Jul 11, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm still not getting the Mobile Me update. Mine still says .Mac, Software Update says I'm all up to date, and Mobile Me seems to be working fine. Just a bit odd ... anyone else or just "me" (no pun intended)?

DavidM3
Jul 11, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm still not getting the Mobile Me update. Mine still says .Mac, Software Update says I'm all up to date, and Mobile Me seems to be working fine. Just a bit odd ... anyone else or just "me" (no pun intended)?

I'm in the exact same situation. After waiting in live for 2 hours this morning and not getting an iPhone, I just want everything on my old phone to be working right. So far everything else appears to be working well.

ee99ee
Jul 11, 2008, 04:52 PM
Running 10.4.11 here, and have .Mac in System Preferences. Looking forward to MobileMe. I can authenticate to .Mac using my new MobileMe account, but I can't do anything -- no syncing, nothing. This is a bummer.

-Chris

peestandingup
Jul 11, 2008, 06:04 PM
I take it Tiger users wont get this update??

e.m.
Jul 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
update not showing up for me either...

on the other hand, i can finally log in to mobile me, but it's still very slow.

tallyho
Jul 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry if it's been mentioned already (there are so many different threads already on MobileMe), but I downloaded the pkg that was found from the XML file, or whatever, and there are still a few references to .mac around, in iPhoto for example. Anyone else notice?

yep me too. I'm sure they'll push out the rest of the updates in the next day or so.

easterncanuck
Jul 11, 2008, 07:04 PM
Mobile Me working for me but my Calendar is all screwed up. The times have all changed all over the place. I checked my settings and it is set to the correct time zone.

Weird.

ndriver182
Jul 11, 2008, 09:52 PM
yep me too. I'm sure they'll push out the rest of the updates in the next day or so.

I hope so. I still can't get my .mac in system preferences to change to mobile me....

Flyinace2000
Jul 11, 2008, 10:25 PM
whats weird for me is that my desktop got the mobile me update and my macbook didn't. Kinda odd

gerardo421
Jul 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
it was bizarre that at 9:55 today (friday) and the time on my iphone was 13:29 hrs! I felt like I jumped in time. some minutes later the normal time was restored... uuhhmm

quadgirl
Jul 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
No mobileme settings or icons here. No updates available and still showing 5gb for mail and 5gb for idisk. Bizarre :confused:

levitynyc
Jul 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
Obviously the servers got destroyed.

I just imagine Apple employees running around like in the IBM commercials when the guy is screaming "THE SERVERS ARE TOO HOT!!!!"

benlee
Jul 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
what's the current status of mobile me?

Should I sync my contacts with my phone?

How do I sync them from my computer to mobileme?

slevit1
Jul 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
what's the current status of mobile me?

Should I sync my contacts with my phone?

How do I sync them from my computer to mobileme?

The current status is that it's not fully functional and the system updates for the mac have not yet been pushed (or have been pushed to a very limited number of people). Once everything is up and running, which could very well be another day or so, everything should take care of itself. For now, you can just sync your contacts with your phone the old-fashioned way (using a USB cable).

e.m.
Jul 12, 2008, 01:41 PM
I finally got the prompt from software update.

But with all the ups and downs, I have my doubts. So haven't installed yet. :o

Tsurisuto
Jul 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
I finally got the prompt from software update.

But with all the ups and downs, I have my doubts. So haven't installed yet. :o

I still haven't got mine. :(

greenmymac
Jul 12, 2008, 01:56 PM

Ok So I got both updates on one macbook and I only got the first update on the other one :( come on apple

e.m.
Jul 12, 2008, 02:00 PM

Try clicking on the .Mac Preferences in your Preferences Pane, then click on the different tabs (iDisk, sync, etc). That's how it showed up for me initially.

I still haven't applied the update. :eek:

dmblue
Jul 12, 2008, 02:10 PM
hey guys,

just wanted to add.

my stuff was still showing up as .mac until i went to .mac preferences (like the previous poster suggested)

i went to account details and then it prompted me to update...my mac was showing it was all up to date before as well.

hope that helps!

btw.. for what its worth. my .me is not syncing as nice as alot of people have been posting, so i guess we will just have to bear with it for a few weeks

tlewsadder
Jul 12, 2008, 02:10 PM
try going into your .mac and turning on idisc syn... that prompted me for the update.

e.m.
Jul 12, 2008, 02:14 PM
for those that applied the update, is push finally working from/to Mac.

It has been working somewhat with my iPhone, but not at all with my Mac. Of course, I haven't applied the update yet, so that's to be expected.

Jookbox
Jul 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
i had the .mac icon from an old trial account i was logged in. when i logged out, it immediately prompted me for a mobileme software update.