PDA

View Full Version : MobileMe "push" not working yet?

Monkaaay
Jul 11, 2008, 11:32 AM
I signed up for a trial account, set up the email on my iPhone, and tested it out. I can send email but the push doesn't appear to work. The message only shows up when I browse to my email account and it pulls the message down. Anyone else seeing this?

Duff-Man
Jul 11, 2008, 11:42 AM
Duff-Man says...I don't have an iPhone (yet) so I cannot confirm or deny, but I think logic dictates that with the current state of chaos with .mac/.me/MobileMe and the services running very slow (if at all) you are probably not the only one. Yeah, it's a pain and ideally they would have liked everything to be working properly right away but obviously that hasn't happened....oh yeah!

Farani
Jul 11, 2008, 11:43 AM
My push contacts and calendar will not work, nor will they load in my browser. I am going to have to shut off the push feature until they get this worked out because I need my contacts!

bombboy
Jul 11, 2008, 11:47 AM
Push is working pretty good. While I was activating my iPhone 3G at the store I logged into MobileMe. I then went to the contacts and asked some people for information. We came up with "Dumb Shoe" and added a bogus number. This contact was then on my 2G iPhone (which was connected to the Apple Store's WiFi) and later on to my MacBook when I finally got to work.

Also, since I had not connected my iPhone 3G to my MacBook, I setup MobileMe on the iPhone 3G and set up push for all and it immediately downloaded all my contacts and calendars before syncing through iTunes. I was able to call people immediately for whom I don't remember their numbers completely.

MacDonaldsd
Jul 11, 2008, 11:50 AM
Mine "pushes" events in about 45 mins, which is rather long.

Walling1
Jul 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
Push is working fairly well for me. Email is pretty quick - sometimes too quick. I filter a lot of my mail to various folders through a mini at home, and some email is hitting my phone before the mini can move it to it's proper folder. I wonder if we'll be able to setup rules on Me.com. I kinda doubt it, but I'd love it if the server could filter my email - I wouldn't have to leave my mini on all the time, and mail would be sorted before the push.

Calendar and contacts seems faster from phone to mac than the other way around.

geerlingguy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:12 PM
Push is working great for me; events, contacts and mail are all sync'ed nicely between my Touch, online and my Mac desktop.

The typical delay seems to be maybe 20-30 seconds between the time I create an event on one device and then see it on another. Quite nice!

kugino
Jul 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
push not working for me, either...or too slow for me to notice. one thing i do not like about the calendar is that the colors for the different calendars aren't consistent across the various devices/calendars. it's the same on ical and the mobile me calendar...but different on my iphone. why is that?

dissdnt
Jul 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
Working good for me, did a cal change on me.com and it updated in about 5 seconds on my iphone.

49erPress
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
mail is working for me but mobileme contacts and calendars aren't. definitely disappointed but not devastated. i've had .mac for sometime now. if i had just bought it, i can understand being mad about plopping down $100 bucks and it not working. exchange, though, is runninggreat.

dual64bit
Jul 11, 2008, 12:41 PM
I upgraded my 1G iPhone to 2.0 yesterday. Push e-mail and contacts worked great then. FAST! 1-3 seconds, faster than Mail.app, anything. Contacts were also quick.

However, today push e-mail has not worked at all. I've turned it off because my phone is about dead anyhow. Could be related to the whole first day thing....

Scoob
Jul 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
Good to hear that i am not alone
Does the mail app account in OS X have to be set up in any particular way, I read it had to be imap....
My push is slow, and hit /miss
Quite depressing really

FSUSem1noles
Jul 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
I'm having big problems with ME also...

I set it up on my phone and computer, I synced my calendars and contacts from computer and they're all synced to ME, but it's not pushing them down to my phone.. I currently have them switched to the "on" position on the phone..

If this keeps, up I'll have to shut them off and just sync manually through iTunes..

I don't know if I have it setup wrong or what..

Cloudane
Jul 11, 2008, 02:32 PM
Push email is working great here.

Calendars and Contacts - pushing from MobileMe to iPhone and iPhone to MobileMe is working great. But anything between the Mac and MobileMe requires either a manual sync (despite it being on automatic) or a verrrrry long wait.

David G.
Jul 11, 2008, 02:39 PM
Push mail = Fail
Push contacts = Fail
Push Calendar = Fail
This goes for both my iPod touch and Mac, I followed the directions down to the letter. Hmph.:(

In other news , Enigmo and Remote are awesome.

nivek
Jul 11, 2008, 02:50 PM
I am sitting here after sending an email to my new mobile me account, yelling PUSH, PUSH, PUSH to no avail. My wife wanted to know if my iphone was going to have a baby so she could have it! I guess I will wait until everything gets settled before I start calling. 1 day? 2 days?

sneeks
Jul 11, 2008, 03:03 PM
Push not working for me either.

ortuno2k
Jul 11, 2008, 03:08 PM
I still haven't picked up my iPhone, but been testing Push on and off with Mail, iCal & Address Book. It doesn't seem to work very well. Takes too long.
iCal & Address Book don't open or do open after waiting for a very long time on the website.
The service isn't ready yet. :(

BornAgain Apple
Jul 11, 2008, 03:13 PM
For the last 24 hours the .mac server keeps returning messages that it is not ready yet. So as others above have done, I stopped the "push" for my contacts, calendars and bookmarks and synched my new 3G through iTunes. And while it would be nice if it worked, I have been with .mac for years and think we need to cut Apple some slack in expecting all of this to work seemlessly and flawlessly all at once. After all, none of us had "push" before. I can wait and am just happy to have the new phone with most of my old phone's stuff on it.

Cloudane
Jul 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ooh, just received MobileMe 1.1 via Software Update. Alas, it didn't fix anything - the phone is pushing back and forth no problem, but the Mac is still doing like a random poll whenever it feels like it (rare).

sneeks
Jul 11, 2008, 03:36 PM
I solved my push problems. The restore file email accounts were not functioning properly, deleting them and entering the settings fresh worked and now all contacts etc are pushing as they should do.

Scoob
Jul 11, 2008, 03:37 PM
I am still not getting any moble me updates in sftware update. Something stinks. I can't even find any decent instructions on how this entire push business is supposed to work!

It seems to make sence between iphone & mobile me, but not between desktop & mobileme, maybe I should be waiting on this mobileme update, but they really should be telling you this no?

Add to this that the location bit of AP local news doesn't work, and this is allturning out to be a damp sqiuid.

Scoob
Jul 11, 2008, 03:38 PM
I am still not getting any moble me updates in sftware update. Something stinks. I can't even find any decent instructions on how this entire push business is supposed to work!

It seems to make sence between iphone & mobile me, but not between desktop & mobileme, maybe I should be waiting on this mobileme update, but they really should be telling you this no?

Add to this that the location bit of AP local news doesn't work, and this is all turning out to be a damp sqiuid.

Scoob
Jul 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
what are the restore file accounts?

Cloudane
Jul 11, 2008, 03:42 PM
Are you on PPC? Neither of our Powerbooks are seeing MobileMe updates yet, both both Intel machines are.

Scoob
Jul 11, 2008, 03:44 PM
MBP intel, no update here
Is it true my mail on the laptop has to be set on imap?

slick316
Jul 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
I am an existing .mac user. I am not using an iPhone at the moment (long story, lets just say I will have it "fixed" next week, so I am using a Blackberry right now).
I did that MobileMe update (1.1). Synced everything and restarted my computer (I have the wonderful purple iDisk icon now also :confused: ). I used my Blackberry to send my .mac account an email. 2 seconds after it was sent, Mail app notified me of the email. I tried it 5 times, each time, it was literally 1-3 seconds before I got it (consequently, my Blackberry hasn't received any of those emails yet).
Seems that it might be working okay. I still need to set it up on my desktop and see how that works, along with contacts (I don't really use calenders).
Too bad my iPhone isn't working for me to test that out, but if it works like how it was just working, I am in love with push email (nobody knows my Blackberry's push email addy, its a temp phone).

slick316
Jul 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
MBP intel, no update here
Is it true my mail on the laptop has to be set on imap?

I had it set up as IMAP on my MBP. Right now, under Account Type it says "MobileMe IMAP".

So I suggest changing to IMAP from whatever you had it on (POP?).

mrowl
Jul 11, 2008, 03:57 PM
Its not working for me either... I followed the setup.

Rojo
Jul 11, 2008, 04:10 PM
No "push" working for me either. It's a fail across the board. I assumed it was due to all the chaos going on today. I'm fine with waiting, though it seems to be working for some people -- which is frustrating, 'cuz I want it to work for me. :p

Cloudane
Jul 11, 2008, 04:11 PM
Anyone have the link to the setup page, where it lets you choose whether you have Mac, Mac+iPhone, PC, PC+iPhone? Just wondering if there was anything I missed.

Thanks

RevK
Jul 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
Anyone have the link to the setup page, where it lets you choose whether you have Mac, Mac+iPhone, PC, PC+iPhone? Just wondering if there was anything I missed.

Thanks

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup

slick316
Jul 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
Disregard what I posted, because I don't think its working for me either.

I checked the settings on Mail and saw that it was set to "check for emails" every 1 minute. I changed that to 1 hour and now I am not getting my emails now, so I guess I just timed my emails perfectly the first time when it was set to 1 minute.

No push for me either, boooooooooooooo!

Cloudane
Jul 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup

Spot on, thanks for that :)

iCal is refusing to sync now, with or without a manual sync. Oh well! Might as well just leave this whole thing for a week or so I think, and see if it's straightened out by then.

FSUSem1noles
Jul 11, 2008, 04:54 PM

iCal is refusing to sync now, with or without a manual sync. Oh well! Might as well just leave this whole thing for a week or so I think, and see if it's straightened out by then.

Ahhh, I got it working.. I had to delete the mobile me email account on my phone, recreated it and upon recreating my contacts and cal info showed up on the phone..

Thanks for posting the setup instructions as well!!

mrowl
Jul 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ahhh, I got it working.. I had to delete the mobile me email account on my phone, recreated it and upon recreating my contacts and cal info showed up on the phone..

Thanks for posting the setup instructions as well!!

this worked for me as well.

benfischer
Jul 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
For the last 24 hours the .mac server keeps returning messages that it is not ready yet. So as others above have done, I stopped the "push" for my contacts, calendars and bookmarks and synched my new 3G through iTunes. And while it would be nice if it worked, I have been with .mac for years and think we need to cut Apple some slack in expecting all of this to work seemlessly and flawlessly all at once. After all, none of us had "push" before. I can wait and am just happy to have the new phone with most of my old phone's stuff on it.

I've also had .mac for several years, and as a result I'm not cutting Apple any slack. This is simply par for the course. The push technology was put in place because their previous Sync didn't work. iDisk barely worked to begin with and so far doesn't look any better. I was hoping this upgrade would give me a reason to renew my subscription, but it looks like another Charlie Fox from the dotmac team.

AC Rempt
Jul 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
Worked for me, too. Excellent. I think once this gets working, it'll be aces. Now they just need to get it working :D

mrowl
Jul 11, 2008, 05:40 PM
this is really cool. But I had to remove my mobileme account from the mail app to get it all synced.

iTim314
Jul 11, 2008, 05:43 PM
Okay, here's my issues.

Nothing is syncing automatically.... or is it? What happening is that even though I have MobileMe to sync automatically in System Preferences, it only does it about every thirty minutes, and everytime, I get this dialogue saying this is the first time I'm syncing, do I want to replace all my info on MobileMe, my Mac, or merge them...

Also, iDisk is not mounting upon startup.

greenmymac
Jul 11, 2008, 06:05 PM
Okay, here's my issues.

Nothing is syncing automatically.... or is it? What happening is that even though I have MobileMe to sync automatically in System Preferences, it only does it about every thirty minutes, and everytime, I get this dialogue saying this is the first time I'm syncing, do I want to replace all my info on MobileMe, my Mac, or merge them...

Also, iDisk is not mounting upon startup.

for me

Mail: Working
iCal: Fail
Contacts: Fail

EagerDragon
Jul 11, 2008, 06:49 PM
Powerbook here, no updates for mobileme, plain .Mac still on my system.

Do you need to have iPhone for the system to show mobileme?

Anyone else still on .mac?

Jarpo
Jul 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'll just add to this. Basically more of the same, though. Had to manually update to mobileme via link and not software update...push email was working beautifully on my phone v1 this morning while waiting in line for the 3g...now trying it on the 3g and it's not working. No push mail or contacts..haven't tried calendar, but I'm sure I'll get the results. Also had very little luck getting on the actual me.com site. Hopefully this will all be cleared up tomorrow or at least by monday. Just to clarify something for myself though...let's say I add a contact on my iphone and I have Address Book open in front of me on my mac, will I see the change almost instantly? Or do I need to have address book closed and then open it again? Anyone know? Thanks

Cloudane
Jul 11, 2008, 07:40 PM
Powerbook here, no updates for mobileme, plain .Mac still on my system.

Do you need to have iPhone for the system to show mobileme?

Anyone else still on .mac?

Same here, and it's an OS update not an iPhone thing.

I suspect they just haven't released the PPC version yet (both of the Intel Macs here have updated, but neither of the Powerbooks)

I hate to suggest it, but maybe it isn't PPC compatible at all?

xraydoc
Jul 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
Seems to be working for me - I received a Push mail this morning at 7:40 AM (most unexpectedly, actually). My contacts, bookmarks and calendar are synced (i.e., I can see them on the phone), but I haven't yet tried to push a new item to the iPhone yet as I know that MobileMe iCal subscriptions aren't working yet, so I haven't rushed to test it on the phone.

bengle3rt
Jul 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
The push is a LIE!

As a test of whether it was really pushing changes AS they happened, or just queueing them up to be synced, I deleted a calendar event from iCal on my Macbook, then quit iCal and immediately put the machine to sleep.

The event was still there on the web and on my iPhone!

This is not true push. In true push, an event would have been dispatched to the server the INSTANT I deleted that event.

If my Macbook had remained asleep for the next 12 hours, that event would have persisted in the cloud's copy of the calendar, which could cause bad life scheduling collisions.

The idea was to pay $99 a year and know that the information, wherever I happen to be looking at it, is always up to date and correct. If I can fool it just by putting a computer a computer to sleep immediately after making a change... I can't trust this thing and it is a waste of money.

levitynyc
Jul 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
The email push on my phone works, the contacts, and iCal sync to me.com, but it doesnt sync iCal or my Address books on my macs.......whats up?

slevit1
Jul 11, 2008, 10:59 PM
The push is a LIE!

As a test of whether it was really pushing changes AS they happened, or just queueing them up to be synced, I deleted a calendar event from iCal on my Macbook, then quit iCal and immediately put the machine to sleep.

The event was still there on the web and on my iPhone!

This is not true push. In true push, an event would have been dispatched to the server the INSTANT I deleted that event.

If my Macbook had remained asleep for the next 12 hours, that event would have persisted in the cloud's copy of the calendar, which could cause bad life scheduling collisions.

The idea was to pay $99 a year and know that the information, wherever I happen to be looking at it, is always up to date and correct. If I can fool it just by putting a computer a computer to sleep immediately after making a change... I can't trust this thing and it is a waste of money.
I think you need to give it a little more time!! Does the MobileMe service really seem to be fully functioning to you? It's definitely a bit premature to be calling the push a lie.

slevit1
Jul 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
The email push on my phone works, the contacts, and iCal sync to me.com, but it doesnt sync iCal or my Address books on my macs.......whats up?
Probably because very few people have the proper mac software update from Apple (some people downloaded it early, but it's not the same version). Until you have that, the mac push isn't gonna work. And, MobileMe clearly isn't fully functional yet!

bengle3rt
Jul 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
I think you need to give it a little more time!! Does the MobileMe service really seem to be fully functioning to you? It's definitely a bit premature to be calling the push a lie.

Yes, but the presence of a "Sync auto/30/day/week" menu in the new System Preference shows that this "queued changes sync" thing is part of the design and intended to remain. Such a menu would not be necessary if by design everything was always in sync.

levitynyc
Jul 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I figured. I was one of the lucky ones that got the phone in under 10 minutes at 8AM this morning....I guess the world isnt perfect... :-)

marksman
Jul 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
Email push is almost instaneous for me.

Calender push is between 30-90 seconds.

Some people have said it seems like people using Leopard are having it work very well and Tiger users, for example, are having problems.

Anyone not using Leopard getting good push results? Anyone using Leopard having bad push results?

marksman
Jul 11, 2008, 11:10 PM

Ah you running Leopard, so I don't know if that is the problem then.

AJ Muni
Jul 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I figured. I was one of the lucky ones that got the phone in under 10 minutes at 8AM this morning....I guess the world isnt perfect... :-)

thats 2 of us

slevit1
Jul 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, but the presence of a "Sync auto/30/day/week" menu in the new System Preference shows that this "queued changes sync" thing is part of the design and intended to remain. Such a menu would not be necessary if by design everything was always in sync.

Again, your assessment is premature. Keep in mind that MobileMe can sync a lot more than the push services (mail, contacts, calendar). Everything else, such as dock items, dashboard widgets, and preferences, would need to fall on that type of a sync schedule, as they did with .Mac.

jfull15
Jul 11, 2008, 11:59 PM
After deleting the .Mac account on the iPhone, and re-adding it under a MobileMe account, (still using @mac.com), I was able to get Push working.

bengle3rt
Jul 12, 2008, 12:31 AM
At the moment I see push from the device to iCal but not back (have to manually engage sync for that to work).

Will removing and reinstating the account solve this?

blurredline
Jul 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
iPhone 3G will not even connect to Mobile Me when trying to set up. Just says wrong password or username for mail.me.com...suggestions?...

jfull15
Jul 12, 2008, 11:12 AM
well, mobileme works great from the AppleStore!

JonboyDC
Jul 12, 2008, 01:43 PM
Push on calendars and contacts between my iMac (Intel, Leopard) and me.com is taking 20-30 minutes. Similar timeframe for my MBP. So far, nothing I've entered on my iPhone has shown up on me.com or on either computer (although everything (and two of every calendar item) that was on me.com when I turned on push is on the phone). And about half the time, the calendar or contacts on me.com won't load.

I also keep getting conflict messages for address items that are absolutely identical.

Very frustrating so far.

ETA: 811 conflict messages for calendar items going back to 2000. WTF?

mjcxp
Jul 12, 2008, 01:50 PM
Is Mobile Me supposed to push emails to your desktop app or do you have to check the emails manually? In mail there is an option under mailbox to synchronize Mobile Me? So is push email for desktop not a feature?

edpalmer
Jul 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
no push for me at all, but thats not the biggest of my problems - being one of the O2 customers with a non-activated iPhone!

Nintenchris
Jul 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
Not a single email has been pushed to my iPhone 3G yet
everything is set up right but its just not working, i have to look for emails myself

earnjam
Jul 12, 2008, 02:23 PM
I can't get any push functionality to work on my phone.

I send test emails from another account to my MobileMe account and they will show up instantly on my iMac, but I waited for an hour and still didn't show up on the iPhone without a manual check.

Followed the setup instructions exactly and it even says it will follow the fetch schedule if push is unavailable. I guess it's the same stupid problem that mail has always had where it just gets mail when it feels like it, not when it's supposed to.

kjs862
Jul 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
Push isn't working here either WTF

wrxsticrzy13
Jul 12, 2008, 02:28 PM
Same here... Push not working. My exchange set up sends the messages with in seconds but MobileMe is not. Apple must be having difficulty with the system. I now this because the MobileMe push was working yesterday for me.

Berzerker
Jul 12, 2008, 02:28 PM
They seem to have taken the push feature offline...I expect them to do this for the next couple days to get everything up to speed. Until then, it's Fetch every 15 minutes for me.

Ol!ver
Jul 12, 2008, 02:44 PM
Is Mobile Me supposed to push emails to your desktop app or do you have to check the emails manually? In mail there is an option under mailbox to synchronize Mobile Me? So is push email for desktop not a feature?

I was wondering that too.

michaelsaxon
Jul 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
Push mail works for me but not push calendar or push contacts.

They don't seem to be manually syncing either when I do the "sync now" function.

ViveLeLivre
Jul 12, 2008, 03:04 PM
Check this:

System Preferences > MobileMe > Account Tab

If nothing shows up here, don't expect anything to sync properly.

I've been watching this screen, and it seems to waffle back and forth between finding my account (lists MB storage usage and such) and erroring out.

When I get that "An error has been returned by the server..." message, I can't sync. When I see some account details on the same screen, I'm fine.

ucfgrad93
Jul 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
Push email is working great here.

Calendars and Contacts - pushing from MobileMe to iPhone and iPhone to MobileMe is working great. But anything between the Mac and MobileMe requires either a manual sync (despite it being on automatic) or a verrrrry long wait.

This is happening to me as well. It is annoying to say the least. Hopefully it will all be worked out in the next few days.

petvas
Jul 12, 2008, 03:16 PM
Have a look here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1599049&tstart=0

Push works only in the following directions:
* MobileMe->Mac/PC
* iPhone/Touch<->MobileMe

Mac doesnt push any changes, it waits for the next sync (every 15 minutes if you have it on auto). I have send an email to Apple's support and wait for clarification on this matter.

ViveLeLivre
Jul 12, 2008, 03:26 PM
Have a look here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1599049&tstart=0

Push works only in the following directions:
* MobileMe->Mac/PC
* iPhone/Touch<->MobileMe

Mac doesnt push any changes, it waits for the next sync (every 15 minutes if you have it on auto). I have send an email to Apple's support and wait for clarification on this matter.

That makes no sense. We're already given options to schedule syncs every hour/day/week. 15 minutes does not equal "Automatic".

I'm pretty sure iCal pushes MobileMe when I make significant changes and the damn server is up. It synced almost immediately after an edit twice, but I will do some more testing.

kjs862
Jul 12, 2008, 03:38 PM
I don't think push is working at all. Think we should all sit tight. Hopefully things will be resolved quickly.

sanford
Jul 12, 2008, 03:47 PM
Push worked fine all day yesterday, all push-able items, though I had one spell where calendar items took about an hour to get pushed into proper sync. But it's being flakey today. Remember, it's Saturday in most of Apple's top iPhone service areas, so big shopping day, lots of people buying new 3G iPhones, activating them, buying MobileMe or signing up for a trial.

I'm getting everything on my iPhone, using mail as a test case, from almost immediate push, to a notable delay, to I have to wake the iPhone, to I have to go into the iPhone Mail app. (via EDGE or WiFi, doesn't matter)

Also, the MobileMe sys prefs panel is reporting errors returned from server on the main account status tab and unavailability of iDisk on the iDisk tab.

Just flaky, but yes it's already working, though not too well at the moment. I'm going to quit testing it because that's getting boring.

I signed up for a trial account, set up the email on my iPhone, and tested it out. I can send email but the push doesn't appear to work. The message only shows up when I browse to my email account and it pulls the message down. Anyone else seeing this?

sanford
Jul 12, 2008, 03:48 PM
I don't think push is working at all. Think we should all sit tight. Hopefully things will be resolved quickly.

See above. It's working with intermittent consistency. It did indeed work all day yesterday, save the hour-long calendar item delay I mentioned.

slevit1
Jul 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
I just got off the phone with Apple Support. The guy (who was surprisingly knowledgeable) told me that push services are not yet turned on for the desktop applications. Until they are, the desktop apps will sync about every 10 minutes (if set to automatic in preferences). However, iPhone and MobileMe push should be working.

Once desktop app push is turned on, it really only applies to Calendar and Address Book. Mail will remain IMAP, and not entirely push. If it is set to check every minute, it will be close, but not perfect. However, MobileMe and the iPhone mail app are true push. The guy had no idea why Apple decided to do that, but doesn't see it changing.

roland.g
Jul 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
I just got off the phone with Apple Support. The guy (who was surprisingly knowledgeable) told me that push services are not yet turned on for the desktop applications. Until they are, the desktop apps will sync about every 10 minutes (if set to automatic in preferences). However, iPhone and MobileMe push should be working.

Once desktop app push is turned on, it really only applies to Calendar and Address Book. Mail will remain IMAP, and not entirely push. If it is set to check every minute, it will be close, but not perfect. However, MobileMe and the iPhone mail app are true push. The guy had no idea why Apple decided to do that, but doesn't see it changing.

I deleted my .mac account from my iPhone and tried adding my .me account as well, changed my from address in mail to the me.com address and re-synced from system prefs and then sent myself a test email. 5 minutes later it still had not shown up on my iPhone until I went into mail and it connected and pulled/fetched it down.

On an EDGE iPhone running 2.0, however connected to Wi-Fi at the time.

island
Jul 12, 2008, 04:13 PM
NOTICE: If anyone is having trouble getting Push to work on your iPhone, try these steps, they worked for me on 2 different iPhones with 2 different MobileMe accounts.

This works with either version of the 2.0 firmware, the one that came with the new iPhone or the one you download from iTunes.

1. Uncheck the box to "Sync E-mail settings to your phone in iTunes".

2. Delete all e-mail accounts on your iPhone.

3. Click mail on your iPhone and add your MobileMe settings.

Push should work just fine now. I did this yesterday and everything has been working just fine since. Address Book, iCal, Bookmarks, and Mail.

ahmedrah
Jul 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
on average....how long has it been taking each email to come in? Mine was set up through mobile me...contacts are pushing...I just feel the mail isn't coming quick enough!

queshy
Jul 12, 2008, 04:22 PM
my cloud is pushing nothing! its so weak.

chrisblaze
Jul 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
I can sync my contacts to mobile me, but nothing pushes to me phone. so my phone has no contacts in it right now. Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?

ViveLeLivre
Jul 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
on average....how long has it been taking each email to come in? Mine was set up through mobile me...contacts are pushing...I just feel the mail isn't coming quick enough!

I'm still using my @mac.com alias and I just sent an e-mail to myself from yahoo; it hit my iPhone instantly.

It won't hit my desktop until I schedule a sync.

mjcxp
Jul 12, 2008, 04:26 PM

This isn't really like exchange at all then. My work exchange syncs email changes immediately with my BB.

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 04:35 PM
here's my deal...push for calender and contacts between iphone 2G and mobileme online works pretty quick (under a minute...could be faster). push emails sent to my mobileme address works great (just a few seconds). no push email from my gmail account which is currently only set up on mail on my mac running leopard because mobileme online wont even load the mail section...just says loading for a while and never says anything after that. the main reason i got mobileme was for push email from my gmail account so hopefully it will work by monday. and no push from either my pc apps or my mac apps.

MacBook Pro 15"
iPhone 2G 8GB

gazzzmoly
Jul 12, 2008, 04:43 PM
here's my deal...push for calender and contacts between iphone 2G and mobileme online works pretty quick (under a minute...could be faster). push emails sent to my mobileme address works great (just a few seconds). no push email from my gmail account which is currently only set up on mail on my mac running leopard because mobileme online wont even load the mail section...just says loading for a while and never says anything after that. the main reason i got mobileme was for push email from my gmail account so hopefully it will work by monday. and no push from either my pc apps or my mac apps.

MacBook Pro 15"
iPhone 2G 8GB

just set your gmail account up to forward all your email to your .me account

Ol!ver
Jul 12, 2008, 04:47 PM

I tried that but there seems to be a long delay.

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 04:52 PM

thanks! that worked really well i sent a message from another email and got in pushed to my iphone in a few second. i still have the problem of being unable to access the mail part on mobileme online...is neone else having that problem? also i noticed that if you delete a contact from mobileme online and it doesnt go away until u log out and log back in (it gets removed from your devices just not mobileme online)

coolfactor
Jul 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
The push technology was put in place because their previous Sync didn't work. iDisk barely worked to begin with and so far doesn't look any better.

Your single experience, and a few scattered reports of the same doesn't mean that *everyone* experienced those problems. .Mac sync has been fantastic for me. Synchronization between devices is a very complex process. I've had my share of problems, but in the grand scheme of things, it's been a life saver more times than I can count.

That said, Push is not working for me right now. Changes made to Me.com do not appear on my Mac until I initiate a sync, and vise versa. I'm confident this is temporary and will begin working as advertised by the end of the week.

greenmymac
Jul 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
Your single experience, and a few scattered reports of the same doesn't mean that *everyone* experienced those problems. .Mac sync has been fantastic for me. Synchronization between devices is a very complex process. I've had my share of problems, but in the grand scheme of things, it's been a life saver more times than I can count.

That said, Push is not working for me right now. Changes made to Me.com do not appear on my Mac until I initiate a sync, and vise versa. I'm confident this is temporary and will begin working as advertised by the end of the week.

Push still isnt working come on Apple get with it

booooo
Jul 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
This isn't really like exchange at all then. My work exchange syncs email changes immediately with my BB.

Let's give them time!! There is no way that Apple could have simulated what they are doing with .me/.mac, iPhone3G, apps store, iTouch 2.0, oh and just the regular business of selling all the other great things they have!!! and we can all be a little patient while they get the WORLD connected!

I just installed the updater with mobileme support - restarted my calendar and it was updated! SWAH-EET! :cool:

Nintenchris
Jul 12, 2008, 05:04 PM
Push still isnt working come on Apple get with it

i agree.. i thought the system would be running smooth by now

mjcxp
Jul 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
I do not think push email to your mac is a feature. It says under Mail -> Preference -> Accounts (click on your mobile me account) -> Advanced -> include when automatically checking for new email. I would think somewhere there would an option for setting up the push features. I just think it polls the server in minute increments.

dombookpro
Jul 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
Firstly - Could people STOP bitching about the fact that their Gmail/Hotmail/ISP/blah blah blah mail service isn't pushing to their phone. Why are people SO ill-informed? Apple has made no claims whatsoever about enabling push for every Tom Dick and Harry e mail service!

Ok, now I've got that off my chest... On to my experiences with MobileMe.

It's working pretty well. Push eMail today has been extremely sporadic. I've been testing it extensively, and yesterday it was working almost instantaneously, and yet, today it seems to have given up the ghost. I've tried deleting the .mac account from my iPhone and replacing it with a me account as someone suggested, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The contact and calendar pushing works extremely well one way - i.e., from the iPhone to the cloud. If i put an entry into my iphone (calendar or contact) is pushes it to my mac within seconds. I can see the menu bar sync icon rotating shortly after I've finished putting in the contact. However, trying it the other way, as someone has alluded to, is not pushing it out immediately. In fact, I'm still waiting for an amendment that I've made to a contact on my laptop to end up on my iphone (7 mins later). I'm not sure whether the intention is to have this happen that same say as it did the other way around, or whether it was intending to have it wait for a 10 mins (or whatever) - who knows?! So in actual fact, the MobileMe services seem to be blinking into life. I shall continue testing over the next week to see how it progresses. If they don't sort out the intermittent pushing of e mail soon, then that is going to be annoying.

D

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 06:45 PM
Firstly - Could people STOP bitching about the fact that their Gmail/Hotmail/ISP/blah blah blah mail service isn't pushing to their phone. Why are people SO ill-informed? Apple has made no claims whatsoever about enabling push for every Tom Dick and Harry e mail service!
D

when i went into the apple store i specifically asked will mobileme be able to push my other email accounts such as gmail and the employee confidently said yes you will be able to do that.

also how do you get you mac to sync right after a change mine is on auto and to get it to push right away i have to manually sync it.

dombookpro
Jul 12, 2008, 07:06 PM
Eff PC:

I don't understand why you were told that! Apple have no control over the ability to push you GMail account. It is a different server which is not under Apple's control. So that is weird.

As for Desktop pushing... That's the observation I was making... That changes made on desktop do not push as such, you have to sync it manually. Not sure whether Apple intend to change this or not. But I just did a test by adding a number to a contact in Address Book, and then waited to see when it would sync - It was about 30 minutes later. However, a second test did it about 10 minutes later (although this was on the hour, so perhaps it was scheduled to sync then anyway) - It's difficult to say, cos I'm not sure what "Automatic" is supposed to mean in the MobileMe prefs. We shall see. It's only been a couple of days - I guess all will become clear. I suspect that Apple will turn on the facilities gradually to avoid massively overloading their servers (but that is just me talking out of my arse)

d

chrisblaze
Jul 12, 2008, 07:07 PM
Im still trying to get my contacts pushed to my phone. When I turned the service on, it erase all my numbers, but mobile me hasnt "push" any of my contacts yet.

CakeOrDeath
Jul 12, 2008, 07:14 PM

Apple's retail employee's are ill-informed, I personally heard them tell multiple people such a thing would be possible. Not everyone can be expected to spend hours researching what a device can and cannot do, most have better things to do. Its not a deal-breaker as far as I am concerned because you can fetch emails on other POP and IMAP accounts every 15 minutes regardless. But those looking for true push functionality are forced to reply back with @me.com addresses, which obviously will not work for a business. Exchange seems to be the only "easy" answer.

That being said, does the verbage on MobileMe specifically state that a reply-as feature or spoofing is not doable or impossible? Perhaps they left it vague on purpose, as there are a LOT of folks asking the same questions.

Is it too much to ask for this ability in the first place? GMail has done it for quite some time, and it doesn't cost me $100 per year to do it.

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 07:30 PM
ok so playing around on my iphone i found an excellent way to get your gmail (or any email client that has forwarding) accounts pushed to ur phone and all replys are from your gmail (or other service) account...

first you should start by doing what was suggested early forward your gmail's emails to you xxxxxxxxx@me.com address

2nd on your iphone/ipod touch the only email account that should be on there is the one set up for your mobile me (NO others are needed for one account)

now to get all the replys to send out with your gmail account's address go into settings then mail, contacts, calenders then click on your mobileme account click account info then under outgoing mail server click the smtp button from here turn the primary server off (which should be smtp.me.com) and click add server and for gmail enter the host name smtp.gmail.com then ur username and password. confirm that the gmail server in the list is the only one on and all your replys will go out like u sent them from ur gmail account ***added: and all of your incoming emails will be forwarded to your mobileme address and pushed to u ***

*for other services you would obviously have to know the outgoing server name but it works the same

hope this helps

EMignault
Jul 12, 2008, 07:53 PM
But those looking for true push functionality are forced to reply back with @me.com addresses, which obviously will not work for a business. Exchange seems to be the only "easy" answer.

[/QUOTE]

No..... you can set up your outgoing SMTP as gmail and your good to go, no one will even know your running MobileMe. Set up your MobileMe and gmail accounts on your iphone. Set the MobileMe as your default, go into settings click Mail, contacts, calander. Click on your Mobile me account click advanced and you will see outgoing SMTP. Turn MobileMe SMTP outgoing server off, turn gmail SMTP outgoing server on, PRESTO! Your good to go and MobileMe runs and know one will ever know!:D

EMignault
Jul 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
Is anyone currently having any problems getting email pushed to your iphone. Mine was working, but then I changed MobileMe accounts and I have had no Push since :confused:

Kilamite
Jul 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
I just updated an event in iCal, and after 5 minutes of waiting, still hasn't changed on MobileMe.

I hope things speed up, because Apple are advertising the whole process as being almost instant.

Annon
Jul 12, 2008, 08:09 PM
I signed up this afternoon, and I've yet to have anything push to my iPhone. I'm sure they'll get the kinks out, but who knows when.

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 08:10 PM
But those looking for true push functionality are forced to reply back with @me.com addresses, which obviously will not work for a business. Exchange seems to be the only "easy" answer.

No..... you can set up your outgoing SMTP as gmail and your good to go, no one will even know your running MobileMe. Set up your MobileMe and gmail accounts on your iphone. Set the MobileMe as your default, go into settings click Mail, contacts, calander. Click on your Mobile me account click advanced and you will see outgoing SMTP. Turn MobileMe SMTP outgoing server off, turn gmail SMTP outgoing server on, PRESTO! Your good to go and MobileMe runs and know one will ever know!:D[/QUOTE]

pretty much what i just said

EMignault
Jul 12, 2008, 08:21 PM
Is anyone currently having any problems getting email pushed to your iphone. Mine was working, but then I changed MobileMe accounts and I have had no Push since :confused:

My calendar is pushing great pretty fast, but no email?? AHH!

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 08:25 PM
ok so my email for both my mobileme and my gmail account (being forwarded to mobileme) were pushing to my iphone now they r only coming up on Mail (which checks every minute so basically instant) anyone else notice this or is it just me?

***i can check manually tho and it loads fine and if i delete my test msgs on my iphone they delete in mail but no more push to iphone...what is apple doing?***

iTim314
Jul 12, 2008, 08:26 PM
My calendar is pushing great pretty fast, but no email?? AHH!

This must be a hit or miss thing, because my email is working great, but no calendar. :confused:

EMignault
Jul 12, 2008, 08:32 PM
ok so my email for both my mobileme and my gmail account (being forwarded to mobileme) were pushing to my iphone now they r only coming up on Mail (which checks every minute so basically instant) anyone else notice this or is it just me?

***i can check manually tho and it loads fine and if i delete my test msgs on my iphone they delete in mail but no more push to iphone...what is apple doing?***

Yes, thats the same issue I'm having. MobileMe mail and iPhone mail are not pushing. calender and contacts seem to be working fine. I might try deleting the MobileMe account on my iphone and starting over again. Or I could be patient.

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 08:33 PM
This must be a hit or miss thing, because my email is working great, but no calendar. :confused:

i'm about to be like forget this for a few days come back on monday afternoon and see whats up im sick of sitting here trying to get it to work when i kno its set up right and its just apple's fault. i dont rely on email so i can manage for a few days without push i mean thats what i did b4.

macDonalds
Jul 12, 2008, 08:35 PM
i'm about to be like forget this for a few days come back on monday afternoon and see whats up im sick of sitting here trying to get it to work when i kno its set up right and its just apple's fault. i dont rely on email so i can manage for a few days without push i mean thats what i did b4.

Yup, I've thought the same.

Boy, talk about bad for business. I'm actually looking into the Yahoo! Push email to see if that will meet my needs. I might not even purchase MobileMe now.

hamburgler693
Jul 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
:mad:
I called Apple, (Was on hold for 36 minutes) and they told me to disable Push services from my iPhone, until Mobile-Me is working properly. I can't get my iPhone to sync, but my Mac is able to sync with mobile me website. How frustrating? Is anyone else having this issue? :apple:

eff pc
Jul 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
:mad:
I called Apple, (Was on hold for 36 minutes) and they told me to disable Push services from my iPhone, until Mobile-Me is working properly. I can't get my iPhone to sync, but my Mac is able to sync with mobile me website. How frustrating? Is anyone else having this issue? :apple:

i just deleted all my accounts on my iphone and put just mobileme back on tested it by sending an email to my gmail account (which gets forwarded to mobileme address) and it pushed to both my iphone and mail and then i changed the outgoing to the gmail server and it worked again so it looks like for now reseting all the accounts up works :)

EMignault
Jul 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
Well now my push mail seems to be working. MobileMe will work good and only get better with time. We just all need to be patient It's a royal PAIN believe me I've been banging my head on my desk for two days. The reality is no company is good at huge rollouts of new technology products. Microsoft is one terrible example! I do think Apple should not have rolled the iphone and 2.0 plus mobileme to 71 counties all within 48 hours. Give it time and all will be good!;)

Lorskyfink
Jul 12, 2008, 09:46 PM
Nothing was pushing to my iPhone at all.

Rebooted it and suddenly, e-mail is pushing with lightning speed.

Contacts weren't there immediately, but I have a lot, so it probably took time to download them.

Calendar, not yet, but soon I think...

AboveTheChaos
Jul 12, 2008, 10:01 PM
Well now my push mail seems to be working. MobileMe will work good and only get better with time. We just all need to be patient It's a royal PAIN believe me I've been banging my head on my desk for two days. The reality is no company is good at huge rollouts of new technology products. Microsoft is one terrible example! I do think Apple should not have rolled the iphone and 2.0 plus mobileme to 71 counties all within 48 hours. Give it time and all will be good!;)

If Microsoft had a brain cell (and a marketing dept) they could turn this weekend's fiasco into their own "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" campaign. But then again, it's Microsoft so I doubt we'll have to worry. :D

elcid
Jul 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
So once everything is done and working correctly, if I delete an email on my ipod then it will delete it from my mobileme and my macbook?

Right now it is def not doing that. Boo.

soLoredd
Jul 12, 2008, 10:16 PM
I think I'm going back to my tried and true setup of using straight IMAP from Gmail. It worked great and synced a lot quicker and was always consistant. I'll just live with having to sync my contacts and calendar to my iPhone from my MacBook the way I always have (through iTunes).

Send email to my Gmail account. Shows up on iPhone and MacBook. Read from iPhone and delete, MacBook will show it deleted as well. Works both ways, too.

Not only that but I also noticed if I delete my MobileMe account from my iPhone it deletes all my calendar and contact info as well because that is where it is syncing too. Can you imagine if MobileMe crapped out or something? Ouch.

cliffrouse11bas
Jul 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
I wish they would get this working. It seems Apple needs to get their act together.

LoganT
Jul 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
If I send a mail from my Gmail account to my Me account it comes up on Me.com instantaneous, it doesn't come up on my touch at all though.

hamburgler693
Jul 12, 2008, 11:25 PM
Give it time guys. 4 hours ago I wasn't getting emails to my phone, contacts, or calendars, but now all is coming in at lightning speed. I was skeptic at first but now the problem with the Apple servers must be fixing themselves. :o

jwtseng
Jul 13, 2008, 12:14 AM
Just got my iPhone today and couldn't get anything to push. Kept restoring the iPhone from a previous backup to no avail. Finally decided to restore the phone and set it up as a new phone. Voila! Now everything is pushing....immediately (well okay, within a few seconds over EDGE!). Of course, I just lost all my Notes and who knows what else. :(

dalvin200
Jul 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
I can kind of get push working...

I have the MobileMe 1.1 update now too on my 10.5.4 mac..

But push only works from the web interface/iphone -> mac

it doesn't seem to "push" from mac -> web interface/iphone unless i hit the sync button (kinda defeats the object right?) :confused:

my sync prefs on mac are set to "automatic".. is that correct (followed from the apple guide)

Also, some of my contacts on the web interface don't appear to have any data, but data exists on my mac/iphone.. completely bizarre :confused:

SiskoKid
Jul 13, 2008, 12:34 AM
My email was pushing instantaneously earlier today up until an hour ago. Now it doesn't come through at all unless I force the push or pull. Everything else is the same way. I also tried to send a photo to my mobileme gallery from my iphone, and it sent the photo making the 'swoosh' sent sound, but it never showed up in my mobileme gallery.

The whole thing is a total mess at the moment. But having glimmers of how it could work earlier today, I think if they can work through the issues, it'll be pretty awesome.

There's no excuse for Apple's mishaps here, and I won't make excuses for them, but I do think it'll end up making people happy once it starts working. I think it'd be nice if Apple added 3 days (or however many days it takes to get this working correctly) to everyone's mobileme account. So, for instance, in your account settings when you sign into mobileme it says, "expires on July 10, 2009", it should say "expires on July 13 (14, 15, 16, whatever), 2009" as a nice gesture to show people that they shouldn't have to pay for those missed days.

dalvin200
Jul 13, 2008, 12:56 AM
There's no excuse for Apple's mishaps here, and I won't make excuses for them, but I do think it'll end up making people happy once it starts working. I think it'd be nice if Apple added 3 days (or however many days it takes to get this working correctly) to everyone's mobileme account. So, for instance, in your account settings when you sign into mobileme it says, "expires on July 10, 2009", it should say "expires on July 13 (14, 15, 16, whatever), 2009" as a nice gesture to show people that they shouldn't have to pay for those missed days.

now that sounds like a plan :D

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 03:21 AM
i will give 2 more days. hopefully it will work properly.

OllyW
Jul 13, 2008, 04:01 AM
Nothing was pushing to my iPhone at all.

Rebooted it and suddenly, e-mail is pushing with lightning speed.

Contacts weren't there immediately, but I have a lot, so it probably took time to download them.

Calendar, not yet, but soon I think...

This seems to have fixed it for me (so far).

Email is now getting to the iPhone before the iMac :D

Contacts & Calendar now working too.

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 04:13 AM
Damn, I seem to have lost push from the cloud to my iPhone for Calendar. I made an appointment on my Mac, it went to the cloud (after an auto sync :rolleyes: ), but it's not popping up on my iPhone. The thing is, I'm currently in Airport Mode with WiFi ON. Wonder if this has anything to do with it? Push should work without EDGE/3G, as long as you have WiFi, right?

Also, iDisk is borked on me.com. I am able to send stuff using my local iDisk but I go to the webapp and it gets stuck in an infinite loop (haha) and won't load. But, my mail did come up on login so maybe they are fixing that aspect.

I've decided to give it a week. I really would benefit from having the sync options and if it will be fixed soon, cool deal.

cecemf
Jul 13, 2008, 04:22 AM
I register for a trial Mobile me and was trying the Push contact and push calandar and push email.

Push email doesn't work even if it's all set to automatic.
Push Calendar works but it took 45min to send it from my iMac to my iPhone !!
Push Contacts samething it took 45 min to be changed on my iPhone !!!

At this point it's better imap email set on every 15 min !!!

Maybe this is because we are in Europe and that the server are in the US or just because they are not fully up and running properly yet and that they are overloaded who knows but not good for a service we have to pay for.

Anyway I have 60 days to try it and if it doesn't get better would not upgrade simple as that.

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 04:29 AM
Damn, I seem to have lost push from the cloud to my iPhone for Calendar. I made an appointment on my Mac, it went to the cloud (after an auto sync :rolleyes: ), but it's not popping up on my iPhone. The thing is, I'm currently in Airport Mode with WiFi ON. Wonder if this has anything to do with it? Push should work without EDGE/3G, as long as you have WiFi, right?

Also, iDisk is borked on me.com. I am able to send stuff using my local iDisk but I go to the webapp and it gets stuck in an infinite loop (haha) and won't load. But, my mail did come up on login so maybe they are fixing that aspect.

I've decided to give it a week. I really would benefit from having the sync options and if it will be fixed soon, cool deal.

Well, nevermind. Turning off Airport Mode didn't help as my calendar on iPhone still isn't updated from the cloud (over EDGE). Bummer. I will try to make a new appointment directly in the cloud and see what happens. If things won't sync from my Mac at all (even after waiting for the 15 min. sync), then it's worthless at this point. Might as well sync with iTunes. I'll be back...

edit: Ok, strange. I turned off Fetch on my iPhone for Gmail and set it to manual. Next thing I know, the appointment shows up in the calendar from the cloud. However, my bookmarks are not updating from the cloud. Hmmm...

laurent75
Jul 13, 2008, 04:47 AM
... push email was not working on my touch for me too ... I read somewhere in this thread that changing fetch to manual for other email accounts would solve the problem... I tried it out ... an yippie it now works fine for me !:)
< 3 seconds for having a mail from somewhere to my touch

Laurent

tjcampbell
Jul 13, 2008, 04:52 AM
Push mail = Fail
Push contacts = Fail
Push Calendar = Fail
This goes for both my iPod touch and Mac, I followed the directions down to the letter. Hmph.:(

In other news , Enigmo and Remote are awesome.

Same here.

jonoslack
Jul 13, 2008, 05:17 AM
I can sync my contacts to mobile me, but nothing pushes to me phone. so my phone has no contacts in it right now. Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?

Chris - mine seemed to be like this - I kept remaking the acccount, and every time I looked at contacts . . . none.
Finally I clicked on the 'Groups' button at the top left of the screen . . . . . the groups were there, picked one and they all came up.
Of course, it may not work for you.

all the best

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 05:40 AM
I can kind of get push working...

I have the MobileMe 1.1 update now too on my 10.5.4 mac..

But push only works from the web interface/iphone -> mac

it doesn't seem to "push" from mac -> web interface/iphone unless i hit the sync button (kinda defeats the object right?) :confused:

my sync prefs on mac are set to "automatic".. is that correct (followed from the apple guide)
:

It won't ever be working correctly because it was falsely advertised.:mad:

(This was found by vannibombonato)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1155

cecemf
Jul 13, 2008, 05:52 AM
It won't ever be working correctly because it was falsely advertised.:mad:

(This was found by vannibombonato)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1155

I can't beleive what i'm reading !!!!!!!

Are they kidding us !!!

they can't just get away with it by lying like that !!!

Does anyone as steve jobs email ?

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 05:58 AM
I can't beleive what i'm reading !!!!!!!

Are they kidding us !!!

they can't just get away with it by lying like that !!!

Does anyone as steve jobs email ?

Just rewatched one of their mobile me online video...they're simply plainly lying. Its incredible.

"When you make a change on one device -AND ITS SHOWING A MAC, AN IPHONE, AND A PC-..that update gets pushed to the cloud...and then back to all your other devices, all in a matter of seconds".

IT IS UNBELIAVABLE. PLEASE SOMEONE SUE THEM.

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 06:00 AM
Just rewatched one of their mobile me online video...they're simply plainly lying. Its incredible.

"When you make a change on one device -AND ITS SHOWING A MAC, AN IPHONE, AND A PC-..that update gets pushed to the cloud...and then back to all your other devices, all in a matter of seconds".

IT IS UNBELIAVABLE. PLEASE SOMEONE SUE THEM.

I just re-watched the videos to make sure I wasn't crazy. Either they are lying, or the features simply didn't work like they thought after that server disaster.

Anyone want to start a petition or something and send it to Apple.

e.m.
Jul 13, 2008, 06:05 AM
I was shocked to read that knowledge base article too. Nothing pushes from the mac. Only sync. Same as dot mac.

chas0001
Jul 13, 2008, 06:12 AM
I seems to work for me. I added an event to ical and within 3 minutes it was on my iPod Touch. I then deleted the event from my iPod Touch and 1 minute later it was deleted from ical.

EDIT : Just noticed that my mac was auto syncing at the time....

markym07931
Jul 13, 2008, 06:15 AM
yeah.. the advertising is a bit odd... i found that if i change something on my address book on os x.. and then force a sync.. it takes seconds to get to my iphone via EDGE (GPRS actually).

E-Mail is working fine, within seconds it appears on my phone, again on GPRS.. but when i'm on wifi.. NOTHING happens.. no pushes anything... which is bad IMO

moseleyite
Jul 13, 2008, 06:35 AM
The advertising isn't a bit odd its misleading and probably verging on the illegal!

How Apple can advertise this as "exchange for the rest of us" is a mystery as it's nothing of the sort - I'm looking forward to their explanation (although I'm not holding my breath).

I should add that I'm not some troll who is new to apple products with the iPhone - I've been a mac user for a number of years and have generally been more than happy with them.

cecemf
Jul 13, 2008, 06:52 AM
I just re-watched the videos to make sure I wasn't crazy. Either they are lying, or the features simply didn't work like they thought after that server disaster.

Anyone want to start a petition or something and send it to Apple.

petition is the good idea !

Where can we creat one

*GG*
Jul 13, 2008, 07:22 AM
I love the concept, love the fact I can have the calendar on my iPhone, love things update, love I have my email on the go etc etc - but the whole "not working" "now it is working" "now it's not" for 4 days now, and now the Apple lying over desktop "push" (which it isn't) just leaves a really nasty taste in my mouth.

I should not, as a customer, be left feeling angry and misled. :confused:

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 07:23 AM
This is a bit stupid really, as I said earlier in the thread, if I put a new calendar appointment in Entourage at work it doesn't wait 15 mins to send it to the Exchange server, it just does it straight away.

Why doesn't mobileme do the same thing, I now have to develop a new habit of hitting the isync button in the toolbar every time I make a change as if I shut my Macbook it won't sync in time. I might come up with an Applescript/Automator action that I can keyboard shortcut to for running iSync but this is ridiculous.

There are other solutions coming to light like Funambol that currently does contacts and is available through the App store. Give it a few months for others to do the same and if Apple doesn't get mobileme sorted out then I'll be cancelling the trial.

I was really exited by MobileMe too, but I'm left with a very bitter taste after these last few days. Also my new iPhone 3G runs very slowly sometimes, the V2 firmware seems to have niggles also (Perhaps mobileme sync is slowing things down?)

Definitely not as happy as I was when I got my 1G iPhone.

miniConvert
Jul 13, 2008, 07:25 AM
Hmm... I don't believe it :D

Maybe something's not working quite right at the moment. AFAIK the only bit that's being tardy is from Mac -> MobileMe, and when you think about it there's zero reason why the Mac wouldn't update MobileMe as soon as there is a local change.

I think it'll get sorted out I really do. Lets take a collective breath.

jdtute
Jul 13, 2008, 07:30 AM
NO PUSH ON WIFI, WHY APPLE, WHY?! everything works fine with push until u loose network and are forced to use a wifi connection, the only way you are able to then recieve mail is to do it manually, not sure about contacts and cal but i dread to think if simple mail doesnt work to push on wifi. :confused::(

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 07:31 AM
Thats just it, they aren't fixing it, in their own support doc Apple say that it will happen every 15 mins from Mac-Cloud or if there's a change elsewhere eg iPhone then mobileme will check in with your Mac and that will pull the change from Mac-Cloud.

MobileMe - Exchange for the rest of us (Although sadly we still seem to be stuck at Exchange 5.5)

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 07:32 AM
NO PUSH ON WIFI, WHY APPLE, WHY?! everything works fine with push until u loose network and are forced to use a wifi connection, the only way you are able to then recieve mail is to do it manually, not sure about contacts and cal but i dread to think if simple mail doesnt work to push on wifi. :confused::(

Is there a firewall on the network you are using that is preventing the communication? It works ok for me (Sometimes) on wifi at home.

cecemf
Jul 13, 2008, 07:38 AM
I register for a trial Mobile me and was trying the Push contact and push calandar and push email.

Push email doesn't work even if it's all set to automatic.
Push Calendar works but it took 45min to send it from my iMac to my iPhone !!
Push Contacts samething it took 45 min to be changed on my iPhone !!!

At this point it's better imap email set on every 15 min !!!

Maybe this is because we are in Europe and that the server are in the US or just because they are not fully up and running properly yet and that they are overloaded who knows but not good for a service we have to pay for.

Anyway I have 60 days to try it and if it doesn't get better would not upgrade simple as that.

Afte rmore testing PUSH works only on Email !

scotty96LSC
Jul 13, 2008, 07:42 AM
Hmm... I don't believe it :D

Maybe something's not working quite right at the moment. AFAIK the only bit that's being tardy is from Mac -> MobileMe, and when you think about it there's zero reason why the Mac wouldn't update MobileMe as soon as there is a local change.

I think it'll get sorted out I really do. Lets take a collective breath.
I agree. This will all get fixed so that our instant society can have it -- instantly.

•By the way I just deleted a calendar item from my iPod touch and watched it delete from iCal on my MBP almost instantly.
•Added a test calendar item on my MBP and still waiting for it to show on my iPod touch, thus the 15-min. sync.

moseleyite
Jul 13, 2008, 07:45 AM
I agree. This will all get fixed so that our instant society can have it -- instantly.

Perhaps we do live in an instant society but, let's face it, apple did advertise this as instant. :D

Roller
Jul 13, 2008, 07:45 AM
The KB article referred to above is the first evidence that I've seen that indicates that Apple was being misleading in saying that the flow of data between the iPhone, the cloud, and registered Macs would be instantaneous:

"Selecting Automatic in Mac OS X allows your computer to immediately sync and update when there are any changes on the MobileMe servers. Those changes can come from your iPhone, iPod touch, the MobileMe website, or another computer. Changes made on your computer will be synced to the MobileMe "cloud" once every 15 minutes (or every hour in Mac OS X 10.4.11)."

From what I've seen, changes on the servers don't appear on my Mac immediately, and changes on my Mac take time to get sent to the servers, unless I manually sync. What I don't understand is why it shouldn't be easy to propagate local changes automatically, without any delay - any change on the Mac should initiate a sync.

The only reason I can think of is that Apple is trying to limit hits on the MobileMe servers, which would probably be overloaded by traffic if MobileMe worked as advertised. But Apple shouldn't have promised something they couldn't deliver.

MobileMe will be useful to me even if I do have to remember to sync my Macs manually every time I make a change on one of them, but Apple needs to come clean about how this works.

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 07:57 AM
Basically for me at the moment, if I work on me.com then everything stays in sync, it pushed to the mac and iphone usually (Not always) in under a minute.

The main problem is the Mac (Can't believe Apple left the Mac as the weak link in the chain - what's the core business again!)

MobileMe services are meant to be coming to Snow Leopard server next year so they better get there act together quickly.

Some senior manager needs to go into the MobileMe office on Monday morning and kick some ass.....

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 08:04 AM
Oh yeah and why the $%! can't you add an alarm to a calendar appointment on me.com

So as the Mac push is useless I have to create an appointment on me.com it syncs to my Mac and iPhone and then I have to add an alarm to it on the iPhone and it syncs back to the Mac.

That's efficiency:mad:

marcj
Jul 13, 2008, 08:12 AM
I haven't got an iPhone yet but have a MobileMe account. Reading through the posts I've learnt not to expect instant Mac -> Cloud updates but it seems that moving an event around on me.com should reflect in iCal on my Macbook reasonably quickly...

In sys prefs it's set to sync automatically and the MobileMe checkbox is ticked in iCal, but any change on me.com takes around 15 minutes to come through to iCal and even then I get a 'Sync alert' asking whether I want to accept the changes - surely that isn't how it's meant to work?!

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've installed all the updates

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
You're not doing anything wrong it's just full of bugs at the moment.

Try removing and re-adding the MobileMe account from your Mac it might help.

I'll be interested to see how the gadget blogs and news sites report on MobileMe next week, I'm sure macworld will say it's wonderful but hopefully when gizmodo/engadget etc pick up on this i might put some pressure on Apple to get their act together.

I'm glad all my mail is still at gmail!

JChek360
Jul 13, 2008, 08:32 AM
The same is happening for me,
Whenever I update a contact or an event on mobile me, I get alerted that there are changes! Isn't this all supposed to be in the background?!?!?!

marcj
Jul 13, 2008, 08:50 AM
Try removing and re-adding the MobileMe account from your Mac it might help.

Thanks for the advice, but it made no difference.

My free trial expires in 18 days and I was ready to sign on the dotted line when I saw the demo at WWDC, but the experience of the last few days and the 'manual push' on the mac is putting me right off

Nintenchris
Jul 13, 2008, 08:57 AM
No matter what i do Moible me refuses to push emails to my iPhone and i know that everything is set up right 100% and ive tryed all the tricks

d.f
Jul 13, 2008, 09:01 AM
The same is happening for me,
Whenever I update a contact or an event on mobile me, I get alerted that there are changes! Isn't this all supposed to be in the background?!?!?!

open the iSync application, go to preferences and you can change the warning settings.

apple should have explained this. sloppy.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to understand what all the false advertising claims are about. For me, everything seems to be working great. Any changes made on the iPhone or the web applications show up everywhere (even mac apps) within 20 seconds or so.

It is true that if I make changes in the mac native apps, I have to hit sync (two button clicks). Them bam, everything is pushed to my other mac, the iPhone and the web apps.

Am I missing something, or are we going crazy because we have to hit sync after making changes in iCal or Address Book? This seems to be a vast improvement over .mac to me.

jdtute
Jul 13, 2008, 09:21 AM
why wont it push on wifi, it just wont push when i have a wifi only connection, HELP PLEASE :(

marcj
Jul 13, 2008, 09:24 AM
open the iSync application, go to preferences and you can change the warning settings.

apple should have explained this. sloppy.

Thank you, I should have thought of that.

Not going to change the setting though. I use iSync with my non-iPhone phones and as they're not part of the cloud, they don't always have the latest version of everything. I want to know when my possibly out-of-date phone is going to change something on my mac.

MobileMe is a very different concept and I really don't think implementing it through the current version of iSync (Sync Services) is the way to do it. The impression I get (and I could be very wrong) is that Sync Services needs an overhaul to deal effectively with the cloud model but Apple went for the lazy option of treating the MobileMe cloud like it's just another device

Roller
Jul 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to understand what all the false advertising claims are about. For me, everything seems to be working great. Any changes made on the iPhone or the web applications show up everywhere (even mac apps) within 20 seconds or so.

It is true that if I make changes in the mac native apps, I have to hit sync (two button clicks). Them bam, everything is pushed to my other mac, the iPhone and the web apps.

Am I missing something, or are we going crazy because we have to hit sync after making changes in iCal or Address Book? This seems to be a vast improvement over .mac to me.

You're right that having to hit sync manually to make sure that my desktop apps send or receive changes shouldn't be a big deal. But that's not the way that Apple said it would work. The point is that Apple advertised that changes at any point in the chain - the Web, a portable device, or a computer - would be propagated everywhere else automatically.

This can be a problem even if I'm the only one using my MM account. If I add an appointment to my iCal calendar on my office Mac, for example, I don't want to have to remember to manually sync to ensure that the appointment also appears on my iPhone. And, if I have my secretary add an appointment my calendar via Outlook, I want to make sure that I see it on my Mac(s) and iPhone without waiting 15 minutes.

Roller
Jul 13, 2008, 09:47 AM
why wont it push on wifi, it just wont push when i have a wifi only connection, HELP PLEASE :(

Can you be more specific about what isn't working? Push on my iPhone via Wi-Fi works properly.

*GG*
Jul 13, 2008, 09:50 AM
It's intermittent for me. Sometimes it pushes to my phone before it arrives on my iMac - but other times it doesn't show up on my phone at all.

At the moment it isn't working - it was half an hour a go. I reckon they are still trying to get it up and running properly.

Any word as to when the service will be up and running fully or are we days away from that still?

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
You're right that having to hit sync manually to make sure that my desktop apps send or receive changes shouldn't be a big deal. But that's not the way that Apple said it would work. The point is that Apple advertised that changes at any point in the chain - the Web, a portable device, or a computer - would be propagated everywhere else automatically.

This can be a problem even if I'm the only one using my MM account. If I add an appointment to my iCal calendar on my office Mac, for example, I don't want to have to remember to manually sync to ensure that the appointment also appears on my iPhone. And, if I have my secretary add an appointment my calendar via Outlook, I want to make sure that I see it on my Mac(s) and iPhone without waiting an hour.

Well, you make an interesting point. However, you don't have to hit sync to "receive" changes. That happens automatically... just when you make changes in iCal or Address Book. If you don't want to have to remember to hit sync, well, ok, it'll take 15 minutes. But I'm still not sure I've seen anything where Apple said iCal or Address Book wouldn't have to be synced before propagating information through the rest of the chain. I admit they didn't make that point clear, and they should have. However, it does still push to everything else after you hit sync, right? Now as far as Outlook goes, I don't know about that - don't have a PC. It does seem cool to me though that your sec could put a change in Outlook, hit sync, and bam, it's on your iPhone, your MM web apps and your iCal, instantly.

BTW - who's waiting an hour for anything? Isn't the most you'd ever have to wait, even if you don't want to remember to hit sync, 15 minutes?

terryblyth
Jul 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
I think my main issue isn't so much the teething troubles they've had rolling this out. I'd expect something this large to have a few problems.

But at least officially say "it's not working"! According to the status updates on the MobileMe page, the parts of the service that deal with push are working as expected. In which case, people are quite entitled to assume that the problem is at their end.

Ironically, I just tried logging on to get the exact wording, but it won't let me currently.

eff pc
Jul 13, 2008, 10:52 AM
i've basically had the same problems this whole time...(when i say calender contacts works exactly the same) when i add a calender event to me.com it pushed to my iphone 2G instantly (like 3 seconds if that) however i am currently timing how long it takes to get my mac and its still not there and it's been over 5 minutes (unexceptable since this is a PAID service that advertises instant syncs). Some of you are saying any changes via other devices update to the mac instantly well mine is NOT. Nothing pushes to my mac instantly no matter what device im on. if i make a calender event on my iphone it pushes to me.com right away (takes a little longer if im deleting an event but still under a minute). So i think the real problem with my set up is the mac side of things. everything else works great including email (which mail works alright because its not said to push i have it on the one minute setting which is pretty quick).

another thing that has never worked is the mail section of me.com it just infinitely load and after a while it freezes and i cant go back to calender or contacts with out closing the window and going back in

mowogg
Jul 13, 2008, 10:58 AM
Just in case it has nor already been made clear, you need to have Sync set to automatic in the system preferences to get the instant changes to/from your Mac. I had mine set to update weekly and was frustrated that my online calendar didn't show a change I made in iCal. It's all working fine now. Renewal saved Apple!

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
Just in case it has nor already been made clear, you need to have Sync set to automatic in the system preferences to get the instant changes to/from your Mac. I had mine set to update weekly and was frustrated that my online calendar didn't show a change I made in iCal. It's all working fine now. Renewal saved Apple!

Um, I'm willing to be a majority of us have that set to automatic. And we still don't get "instant" changes.

As I said before, nothing has been changed in the local apps (on your Mac) to tell it to push, or instantly sync. The only app that has a setting is Mail, and the best we can do is 1 minute polling. To think otherwise is crazy! I need to see with my own eyes an event set in iCal go to the cloud instantly. And vice versa. Until then, I don't believe it due to the amount of people having the same issue.

And yes, WiFi does not push to iPhone. Try putting your iPhone in Airplane Mode and only connecting using WiFi. Nothing will be pushed from the cloud.

Nintenchris
Jul 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Ok so, push email wasnt working
not a single email was pushed to my iPhone last night or today after setting up an account late yesterday
i go out and all of a sudden im starting to get emails pushed!
first i thought its because it wasnt pushing over wifi but its been pushing since i got home too!

eff pc
Jul 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
And yes, WiFi does not push to iPhone. Try putting your iPhone in Airplane Mode and only connecting using WiFi. Nothing will be pushed from the cloud.

i just tested this and yeah wifi doesnt push however as soon as i took it out of airplane mode after it searched the signal (which i have full service at my house so it went quick) the email pushed to my phone so im hopeing this means that if you dont have service (like at my job) when you go into an area that has service all the emails that have been sent get pushed to your phone. wont kno this until tomorrow ill let you all know how it goes

bengle3rt
Jul 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
How can push not work over wifi? It's all the iPod touch has, I hope the persistent TCP connection being used for these pushes is pipe-agnostic (isn't that the point of TCP?)

Flightmaster
Jul 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
So, I've been trying to make this work since yesterday with 3 mac and 1 iPhone clients. I do suspect that, in fact, the push works as advertised. I'm uncertain about he 15min mac-->me facts, as I've had client behavior that acted like push (i.e it worked as advertised, but only in the few hours after launch, and only with the first (of three) client, me, iphone combos).

I suspect that true push does lie under the hood, but that a "failsafe sync" is launched every 15 (possibly to clear some caches). That failsafe is now acting (poorly, I must add) as a lifeboat to any mac-Me communication at all.

I've been on this for almost 20 hours now, and I can attest to this:

The sync service from mac <--> me, is grossly inconsistent, dysfunctional, and frankly, at this time does not really work at all (push or sync.) Even at this moment there are server-side crashes every other minute or so.

Work is happening, however. For example, the "payment account" information tab appeared in Me a few hours ago.

So, my (semi-educated-trial-by-error) guesses are the following:

a) Mobileme is still not ready. There are probably several dozen people working frantically on restoring the intended functionality right now (in fact, I'd guess that code teams gave been working 24/7 since the original release date.)

b) The mobile-me teams are triaging, and they have been told "iPhone first", "Mac" second (and who can blame them for that, I certainly don't - given the other issues that iPhone owners have experienced over the last few days). This is just a reality of triage: move quickly to assert the greatest pain-point. Stabilize this until moving on to other wounds.

c) Things will improve, with Push across the board coming. Patches for the apps, and/or even a 10.5.5 update may be required, in case Apple has discovered that these are not just server-side problems.

I'm frustrated that Apple is letting me guess at this, and wasting my time by letting me chase in the dark. It would be nice to have some more info (hello Cupertino???.)

If there is not a fix for this by next weekend, or at least detailed information from Apple, then I'll be pretty disgusted. For now, I can at least understand and accept that a meltdown occured and that "top-men" are on it.

cP

DJS1234
Jul 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
How can push not work over wifi? It's all the iPod touch has, I hope the persistent TCP connection being used for these pushes is pipe-agnostic (isn't that the point of TCP?)

that's a good point, I always assumed the iPhone turned off 3G/Edge when it had a wifi signal but obviously not. As I've said in the thread, perhaps some firewall allowances have to be made for the sync protocol to go through them.

Jollypolly
Jul 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
I can confirm that on my iPod Touch, changes made to the iPod's calendar show up at me.com quickly (in about a minute). Changes made at me.com show up in the iPod's calendar quickly, too. But changes made on the iPod or me.com do not show up in iCal, or vice versa, until there is a scheduled sync event (I'm running 10.4.11, so that's once an hour). This makes it easy to inadvertently create multiple instances or states of the same event on different devices.

Emails push correctly to the iPod Touch from Mail.app and from me.com. But me.com does not immediately show the true state of my email in Mail.app or on the iPod. Sometimes (as was true of the old-fashioned mac.com, too) I have to force the inbox to refresh itself and come up to date by trying to delete an already-deleted email.

The colors of calendar events, as originally established in iCal, are correct at me.com, but arbitrary, and wrong, on the iPod. Has anyone else noticed this?

Finally, I can't really say whether modifications to contacts are pushing correctly between me.com and the iPod or not, because only name and company fields display at me.com. All other fields are unpopulated, though all my data is in fact intact, and 'safe,' even if unviewable--it's still showing up in Address Book and on the iPod.

Finally, I can confirm that this constitutes false advertising on Apple's part. We have push email, but not push email, contacts, and calendars across our different devices. Contacts and calendars are only pushing (and at that only with the bugs mentioned--incorrect calendar colors, and missing contact fields) between the iPod and the cloud itself, not between the cloud and any other device. It is possible to view the cloud via Safari from the other devices, but the applications on the devices themselves that are there to handle contacts and calendars--Address Book and iCal--are cut off from the cloud, and do not push to or from it. They sync.

And syncing is not pushing, not matter how frequently you do it. It works entirely differently--and worse, hence Apple's advertising spree to emphasize, specifically and precisely, that we would now be pushing our data between devices instead of syncing--it has different (worse) power-consumption characteristics, and it's slower and more prone to creating corrupt data.

sammyAD
Jul 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
Push is not working to my iPhone over purely wifi (o2 UK have not activated my SIM yet).

If it is working for some people on their iPod touches, why doesnt MM push over wifi to iPhones (or at least my iPhone)

eff pc
Jul 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
basically the other than the fact that apple messed up with the making changes in mac apps taking 15 minutes the only problem im still having is that according to many posters and a new macrumors post on the main page that changes on me.com and iphone should push to your mac/pc well mine is NOT doing that i still have to manually sync it to get them to show up in ical and address book. any ways to fix this?

***ADDED*** ok so i did another calender test and even tho its not as fast as me.com it did show up within 30 second to a minute which isnt too bad. I guess it is up and running how apple says is normal but we need push from mac to the cloud 15 min is a little ridiculous. Also people that have read this whole thread ive said this a few times. my mail STILL wont load on me.com just says loading and never loads. no one else has said anything but i sent apple a support email so hopefully they can fix it.

ZJKingsley
Jul 13, 2008, 02:36 PM
"PUSH" is not working to my 1st gen iPhone (2.0)
my imac and me.com is working great and syncing, not auto though
but my iphone shows none of my contacts, calendars, and emails at all,
everything is set up properly,

any advice,

thanks in advance,

z

rageboi
Jul 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hello Everyone,

Take a look at the MobileMe guided Tour Video

1min 13 seconds and 6min 40 "As you'd expect, any additional changes made in Outlook will be pushed everywhere else."

Having to wait for the desktop apps to sync when the 15 min schedule kicks off is not having them PUSH.....

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 04:11 PM
Take a look at the MobileMe guided Tour Video

1min 13 seconds and 6min 40 "As you'd expect, any additional changes made in Outlook will be pushed everywhere else."

Having to wait for the desktop apps to sync when the 15 min schedule kicks off is not having them PUSH.....

Well, I see your point, and I agree. All I'm saying is that when you click "sync" -which, agreed, doesn't seem to be what they said- it doesn't just sync your computer, to what's in the cloud, it pushes your local changes to the iphone, MM cloud, and other computers. Am I wrong about this?

esco
Jul 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
"PUSH" is not working to my 1st gen iPhone (2.0)
my imac and me.com is working great and syncing, not auto though
but my iphone shows none of my contacts, calendars, and emails at all,
everything is set up properly,

any advice,

thanks in advance,

z

I had the same problem. I deleted the MobileMe account on my iPhone and put it back in like people suggested, but none of my info would show up (despite the me.com site having all the info)

I finally decided to delete and add the mobileme account one more time, and then reset my phone (hold sleep/wake, slide to power off, turn back on). When the phone had reset, all of my info appeared! Hope this helps

eff pc
Jul 13, 2008, 05:46 PM
email not a problem other than not loading on me.com but that has been a problem since day 1 for me. calender events push to my mac fine but when i comes to contacts it only does it when the 15 minute sync comes along or i do it manually. mobileme is starting to annoy me it's so inconsistent. im going to stop trying and come back like wednesday and see what's up even tho i said that before and im still on this forum trying to figure it out.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 06:13 PM
email not a problem other than not loading on me.com but that has been a problem since day 1 for me. calender events push to my mac fine but when i comes to contacts it only does it when the 15 minute sync comes along or i do it manually. mobileme is starting to annoy me it's so inconsistent. im going to stop trying and come back like wednesday and see what's up even tho i said that before and im still on this forum trying to figure it out.

My contacts are pushing from my iPhone to my Address Book on my mac. Do you have "Synchronize contacts using mobleme" checked in your Address Book prefs?

sjlee
Jul 13, 2008, 07:01 PM
I have a 1st gen iPhone and a mac (10.5.4). The only leg of push calendar that's not working for me is from MobileMe web to iPhone.

There are really 4 legs here:
- MobileMe web to mac
- mac to MobileMe web
- iPhone to MobileMe web
- MobileMe web to iPhone

Sync between mac and iPhone always goes through MobileMe web as far as I understand it.

I played with various combinations, creating calendar items on each of these three devices, and the only leg that never pushes is MobileMe web to iPhone. In my case, push to iPhone never happens (it's not just getting delayed).

I'm aware of that time delayed sync from mac to MobileMe web, but I'm not talking about that...

Do other have successful push from MobileMe web to iPhone?

bjdraw
Jul 13, 2008, 07:34 PM
I played with various combinations, creating calendar items on each of these three devices, and the only leg that never pushes is MobileMe web to iPhone. In my case, push to iPhone never happens (it's not just getting delayed).

I'm seeing the same thing. On Saturday morning I was in the process of transferring my wife's contacts from her Razr to my old iPhone and I imported all her contacts into my Address book. Her contacts were all crap so I had to spend a hour or so cleaning them up so deleted the dups since some of her contacts were already in my Address book.

The funny thing is that all her crap contacts made it to my iPhone, but none of the changes since I cleaned them are are there. I messed with every setting I could think of and waited until today (over 24 hours later). I knew it wasn't my mac as I could log in to me.com and see the fixed contacts. I finally gave up and turned off contact syncing on my iPhone and then turned it back on and after that all the contacts updated.

I just hope they get the issue resolved soon.

ZJKingsley
Jul 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
I had the same problem. I deleted the MobileMe account on my iPhone and put it back in like people suggested, but none of my info would show up (despite the me.com site having all the info)

I finally decided to delete and add the mobileme account one more time, and then reset my phone (hold sleep/wake, slide to power off, turn back on). When the phone had reset, all of my info appeared! Hope this helps

WILL DO!

I hope this works,

everything else doesn't even restored twice, once with backup once without, trying everything for hrs.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Did not work :( thanks anyways though

profetto
Jul 13, 2008, 08:37 PM
I think the major problem here is that MobileMe must not fully be functioning yet. I could imagine what is happening at the Apple headquarters... must be like a movie, people running around in big rooms filled with computers trying to fix all the problems.

My MobileMe and Mac seem to have push problems both ways, I know Mac -> MobileMe has the 15 minute sync but my MobileMe -> Mac is still kinda slow and delayed and very inconsistent.

I'm going to try and convince myself that Apple is still having problems, and thus only some people are able to reap the benefits of MobileMe's new 'push' service and that in a few days, all will be well and everyone can be enjoying it. I'm really in no rush as my iPhone (1st generation unlocked) is frozen at the moment and my new iPhone3G will be arriving later this week (hopefully).

ZJKingsley
Jul 13, 2008, 08:41 PM
I think the major problem here is that MobileMe must not fully be functioning yet. I could imagine what is happening at the Apple headquarters... must be like a movie, people running around in big rooms filled with computers trying to fix all the problems.

My MobileMe and Mac seem to have push problems both ways, I know Mac -> MobileMe has the 15 minute sync but my MobileMe -> Mac is still kinda slow and delayed and very inconsistent.

I'm going to try and convince myself that Apple is still having problems, and thus only some people are able to reap the benefits of MobileMe's new 'push' service and that in a few days, all will be well and everyone can be enjoying it. I'm really in no rush as my iPhone (1st generation unlocked) is frozen at the moment and my new iPhone3G will be arriving later this week (hopefully).

YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT!!!!

I could just imagine, Apple's probably a ZOO right now,

I would love to see that, they're always so sure of themselves and this happens!?!?!?!

rhomsy
Jul 13, 2008, 08:44 PM
Like most everyone, I'm experiencing problems also.

When I add contacts and calendar events in the desktop address book and iCal, the changes do appear at me.com AFTER i manually sync. The problem is they don't seem to push to my phone. Sometimes I'll wait 20-45 minutes before it appears on the phone. I'll restart the phone but it sometimes still doesn't push to the phone. It's very frustrating.

Add event on ical.....sync manually....login to me.com to see if changes took effect at MobileMe....keep fingers crossed because there's a 50% chance that the calendar section on MobileMe never loads.....if I do see the event added on me.com, then I check the phone... the event didn't push to the phone....restart the phone....still doesn't push.... wait...... wait....... wait.....45 minutes later, the event appears in the calendar...

This is bad.

profetto
Jul 13, 2008, 08:59 PM
YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT!!!!

I could just imagine, Apple's probably a ZOO right now,

I would love to see that, they're always so sure of themselves and this happens!?!?!?!

I picture Steve Jobs in bed... 3am the phone rings...

Steve: "Hello...?"
Apple Employee: "Mr. Jobs, we have a problem."
Steve: "You gotta be kidding me, its 3am in the morning."
Apple Employee: "Sir... its MobileMe, its gone... well, its gone hay-wire sir!"
Steve: "Alright, I'm on my way..."

Then I picture the Apple headquarters kind of like the main room in the movie Armagedon, when they were trying to figure out what to do with the asteroid.

terryblyth
Jul 14, 2008, 02:17 AM
I do have a slight concern this will end up like the constant wi-fi dropouts lots of people faced when they upgraded to Leopard. IIRC, Apple never admitted the problem existed, and according to the MobileMe status page, they aren't here either.

Did the wi-fi problems ever get sorted?

Elgabacho
Jul 14, 2008, 10:12 AM

Part of this worked for me. I deleted the account added it, then reset my phone like esco said. This didn't work so after that, I turned off the push services for mail, contacts, and calenders, exited out of the settings then returned and turned them back on. It finally works!!! I'm happy now but it hasn't been a pleasant couple days. The reason I fell in love with apple is because I didn't have to do crap like this.

e.m.
Jul 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
mobile me push calendar has stopped working for me as of today (over the weekend, it was working).

whenever I change my calendars on iCal, it gets synced to the web mobile me just fine (well, it's not push as they promised, so it's not just fine). but then those changes never get pushed down to my iPhone.

Anyone else experiencing this?

BillyBobBongo
Jul 14, 2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah...I'm having issues too!

Add to that it keeps telling me that my password has changed....makes me think that they're tinkering with it.

gauchogolfer
Jul 14, 2008, 02:51 PM
Do other have successful push from MobileMe web to iPhone?

On my 1st gen iPhone with 2.0 software (installed before the official release) I can push fine from MobileMe web to my iPhone. Calendars, contacts, and email changes all push in less than 10 seconds.

e.m.
Jul 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
On my 1st gen iPhone with 2.0 software (installed before the official release) I can push fine from MobileMe web to my iPhone. Calendars, contacts, and email changes all push in less than 10 seconds.

I have a first gen iPhone with the official 2.0 software. Mobile Me push calendar to iPhone is not working as of today. It was working somewhat over the weekend.

It's been well over 3 hours since I made a change in iCal on my Mac, and still no change on the iPhone.

Push Mail is working, though (only to phone). Not sure about contacts today, but it was working over the weekend.

terryblyth
Jul 14, 2008, 03:40 PM
Push is not working to my iPhone over purely wifi (o2 UK have not activated my SIM yet)

Is this known to be the reason for push not working to iPhone? o2 still haven't got round to activating me yet either. If it's known that activation is the problem then I'll stop exploring other avenues.

If not, I'm wondering if this is a country-specific problem maybe?

TJunkers
Jul 14, 2008, 03:45 PM
this worked for me: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=521895

lucygoosey
Jul 14, 2008, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know why MobileMe only pushes (syncs! :eek:) calendar information for the past 30 days and the future and does not download the entire contents of the calendar? I have all past events on my MobileMe calendar but only 30 days of past events get put on the iPhone. When I do this by syncing directly through iTunes, all events show up.

Is there a setting I'm missing in MobileMe? The "only sync last thirty days" box is unchecked...in iCal and iTunes.

Thanks!

dissdnt
Jul 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
webemail still wont work. Has Apple said ANYTHING about the situation with MobileMe. This is retardo.

Kris400
Jul 14, 2008, 11:13 PM
Does anyone know why MobileMe only pushes (syncs! :eek:) calendar information for the past 30 days and the future and does not download the entire contents of the calendar? I have all past events on my MobileMe calendar but only 30 days of past events get put on the iPhone. When I do this by syncing directly through iTunes, all events show up.

Is there a setting I'm missing in MobileMe? The "only sync last thirty days" box is unchecked...in iCal and iTunes.

Thanks!

When you're on the calendar page of MobileMe, clicking the button with the cog symbol at the top, then preferences, then the advanced tab brings up some options concerning past events. Don't know if that's what you're after...

Poppet
Jul 15, 2008, 01:06 AM
Mine "pushes" events in about 45 mins, which is rather long.

Mine kind of pushes. If I update something in my contacts on my macbook pushes to my phone quicker if I hit sync in the mobileme preferences screen. Other times I don't have to do this and its there straight away. Not sure how this all works.

If I do something on my iPhone it then takes a while to push to the macbook.

I guess we shall see as the days go on how this works.

Poppet
Jul 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
When you're on the calendar page of MobileMe, clicking the button with the cog symbol at the top, then preferences, then the advanced tab brings up some options concerning past events. Don't know if that's what you're after...

To sync all calendar events.

Settings.
Mail / contacts / cal
Scroll down to Calendar
Select Sync
Select All. By default I think it was set to the past few weeks.

paradrome
Jul 15, 2008, 01:43 AM
now, Apple is a copycat. They copied the "free service" - Windows Live and make ppl pay for it!! buggy + stupid name (should've named it :apple: dot mobile)

lucygoosey
Jul 15, 2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks. I looked and all the boxes were unchecked, which I assume to mean that all the events should push. Can't figure this one out. Still only have the future events and the past 30 days.

Anyone able to have events older than 30 days push from mobileme to the iphone?

lucygoosey
Jul 15, 2008, 08:26 AM
To sync all calendar events.

Settings.
Mail / contacts / cal
Scroll down to Calendar
Select Sync
Select All. By default I think it was set to the past few weeks.

Sounds promising! However, when I scroll down to Calendar under Mail/contacts/cal all I see is "New Invitation Alerts" and "Time Zone Support".....am I missing something??

Thanks for the help.

ynnoj
Jul 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds promising! However, when I scroll down to Calendar under Mail/contacts/cal all I see is "New Invitation Alerts" and "Time Zone Support".....am I missing something??

Thanks for the help.
It's definitely there. The option is known as "Sync", default value is set as "Events 1 Month Back".

lucygoosey
Jul 15, 2008, 09:36 AM
It's definitely there. The option is known as "Sync", default value is set as "Events 1 Month Back".

After I deleted my mac.com acct and added it back as MobileMe I now get all of the options. I see the choices now.

Thanks a lot for you help!

xAPPO
Jul 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
Here's a bug..

I created a new calendar entry on the iPhone and saved it - edited an old one and backed out of calendar and went straight back in and also edited the times for that new entry I created first . The end result is that all the events are correctly displayed on the iPhone but not in the cloud - it seems to have missed the fact the data for one record was updated twice and has only the first data - not the amended version.

So I added another new record to force an update and that propagated to the cloud fine - but still that old data record in the cloud is wrong... I assume the iPhone tags changed records but it seems that if a record is updated twice very rapidly it only propagates the first changes.

K

I have moved this post to its own thread in the hope someone from Apple sees it ..
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=522816

fluidedge
Jul 15, 2008, 12:11 PM
wow that video of steve jobs attacking Microsoft for making '3rd Rate products' products springs to mind! At least Outlook/Exchange just works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw

nvbrit
Jul 15, 2008, 12:23 PM

Which application are you referring to where these settings can be found?

ynnoj
Jul 15, 2008, 12:53 PM
Which application are you referring to where these settings can be found?
iPhone settings, under Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

darragh brady
Jul 15, 2008, 01:51 PM
Okay so I spent all weekend getting my mac at home and my older gen Iphone all nicely synched- took forever because of some glitch where it turned my 1700 contacts into 11000 contacts-
So now I am trying to synch between my pc at work (xp, outlook 2003, sp3) and my cloud at mobile me and it did push some contacts but only 214, not the 1756 i have in my contacts on outlook- what gives? and the calendar isn't synching either? this is not working at all......:(

liven2
Jul 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ok it seemed like MobileMe was a little more stable the last few days and most things were working well. I noticed yesterday that my Address book changes were not taking place even if I did a complete reset of the sync data to replace everything on MobileMe from my computer. When I did this a number of times NOTHING, I mean nothing changed on MobileMe site or my phone. Soooo I gave it about 4 hours to see if anything had changed, again Nothing. So I try logging into the Mobile me site and I get the following page.

Things seem to be getting worse today NOT better>>> Oh can not imagine the stress for some folks in Curpentino the last week... :eek::(

See attache of what message I got on the site.

d21mike
Jul 15, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ok it seemed like MobileMe was a little more stable the last few days and most things were working well. I noticed yesterday that my Address book changes were not taking place even if I did a complete reset of the sync data to replace everything on MobileMe from my computer. When I did this a number of times NOTHING, I mean nothing changed on MobileMe site or my phone. Soooo I gave it about 4 hours to see if anything had changed, again Nothing. So I try logging into the Mobile me site and I get the following page.

Things seem to be getting worse today NOT better>>> Oh can not imagine the stress for some folks in Curpentino the last week... :eek::(

See attache of what message I got on the site.

I was getting this the other day for about 1 hour and then it just went away. No idea why. I did not change anything. Just waited a while and tried again.

nvbrit
Jul 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
iPhone settings, under Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Ahh, ok, there was no mention of the iPhone ... remember MobileMe also serves Mac's and PCs so stating which device you are referring to would help!

profetto
Jul 15, 2008, 07:51 PM
Okay, finally got my iPhone 3G today (waited all day for the delivery truck which decided to show up at 6pm).

Pushing seems to work great with iPhone 3G, both ways, thats is:
MobileMe -> iPhone
iPhone -> MobileMe

While MobileMe -> iPhone is pretty much instantaneous, iPhone -> MobileMe takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute.

Pushing to iMac desktop still does not want to work.

e.m.
Jul 15, 2008, 07:55 PM
ical and bookmark push/sync is not working at all between mac, mobile me, and iphone today. none of the changes I make on my Mac gets reflected anywhere else. even when I reset my sync data in System Preferences and set the version on the Mac as the master.

Edit:

none of the changes I make on the Mac is syncing. I've made iCal changes, bookmark changes, and none of them get synced. Even when I reset it in System Preferences. Mobile Me is seriously broken.

Poppet
Jul 16, 2008, 12:17 AM
That makes no sense. We're already given options to schedule syncs every hour/day/week. 15 minutes does not equal "Automatic".

I'm pretty sure iCal pushes MobileMe when I make significant changes and the damn server is up. It synced almost immediately after an edit twice, but I will do some more testing.

From my messing about I have to say this is kinda what I have been thinking.

Automatic settings from the mac don't seem to push straight way all of the time. Perhaps its just closer to the 15 minutes when I send something so that's why it seems quicker. What I do know is that if its slow I can hit sync in the mobileme preferences on my macbook and it goes up to the cloud quicker and I can then see the changes right away online and on my iPhone.

asmwest
Jul 16, 2008, 04:39 AM
Hi all

I had the same issues with MobileMe, no sync for Calendars and Contacts. Fortunatly after some messing around I got it to work on my 2G I-Phone. This is how it I did it:

On the Mac:

1. Un-Registered my MacBook Pro in my .mac account.
2. Re-Registered the laptop in .mac account (as MobileMe does not show up)
3. Sync'd Contacts, Calendars and Mail to MobileMe

On the I-Phone:

1. Removed all previous accounts
2. Add new account selecting "Other" as opposed to "MobileMe"
3. Add the detail changing your e-mail from .mac.com to .me.com (Although I still use .mac.com e-mail address this is where I think the problem was preventing MobileMe from working correctly, I maybe wrong, but hey WTF
4. Select, contacts, calendars etc on the sliders
5. Wait for a bit and hopefully your data will come flooding through

I needed to sort this out quickly, as the Data charges out in Saudi are astronomical

Hope this helps somebody,

Regards

Dave H

DavoMrMac
Jul 16, 2008, 08:52 AM
Just got this on an email.

http://www.geekanoids.co.uk/2008/07/apple-give-30-day-free-extension-for.html

Freedomflyer
Jul 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
Whoa! Guys! Don't talk too loud...shh! I just got Push working to my iPhone from Me.com - Don't scare it!

You guys think i'm crazy - and I am - but I honestly am so paranoid about it not working again that I just dont want to touch my iPhone in fear that push wont work...but for now...it is...whoa!?

BiginJapan
Jul 17, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't have an iPhone... (yet -- 3G just released in Japan and sold out pretty much instantly).

I've got MobileMe semi-working, but it seems to vary between pokey, freeze-up, and "glacially slow"... and now it won't push contacts back to my desktop when I make changes remotely on the internet: "Contacts could not be synced due to inconsistent data" -- isn't that what synching is supposed to DO -- make the data consistent!?

Color me unimpressed. In the past, I've had nothing but good things to say about Apple's releases, but they seem to have gotten in way over their heads on this one.

e.m.
Jul 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
I noticed the last time my Mac did an "automatic sync" was an hour and 15 minutes ago. So I manually synced from the menu bar. However, it gives me an error message every time.

Anyone else experiencing this? I figured the Apple servers are having problems again, but it could also be my machine, so just trying to gather some info. Thanks.

soLoredd
Jul 17, 2008, 11:48 PM
I noticed the last time my Mac did an "automatic sync" was an hour and 15 minutes ago. So I manually synced from the menu bar. However, it gives me an error message every time.

Anyone else experiencing this? I figured the Apple servers are having problems again, but it could also be my machine, so just trying to gather some info. Thanks.

Earlier, I was getting errors from sync on my Mac that said "Your internet connection is either too slow or the MobileMe servers are down". I thought that was pretty damn funny actually. About 10 minutes later, the syncs were going through (automatically - 15 minutes obviously).

I was having problems last night with making changes on my iPhone, going to MM and not changing, so obviously not going to my Mac. Irritating.

chris3g
Jul 17, 2008, 11:50 PM

syncing is down for me also, same thing

miniboss1232
Jul 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, I'm getting the error message when trying to sync now. I'm guessing the sync servers are down.

e.m.
Jul 17, 2008, 11:57 PM
Earlier, I was getting errors from sync on my Mac that said "Your internet connection is either too slow or the MobileMe servers are down". I thought that was pretty damn funny actually. About 10 minutes later, the syncs were going through (automatically - 15 minutes obviously).

That's one that I haven't seen yet. Actually, this is the first time I got an error message for anything not working with MM. All the other times when it didn't work, it just doesn't work and doesn't say anything.

It's pretty funny that it tells you your internet connection is too slow. What about EDGE, then? Obviously sync/push whatever works with EDGE (well, maybe only sometimes :o)

syncing is down for me also, same thing

Yes, I'm getting the error message when trying to sync now. I'm guessing the sync servers are down.

Cool, thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one. Sad to say, I am getting kinda used to all this not working reliably...

e.m.
Jul 18, 2008, 12:56 AM
sync seems to be working now.

but no more push mail to the iPhone.
:confused: