PDA

View Full Version : Battery Update in Software Update.

ComputerWizard
Dec 17, 2003, 03:06 PM
About the Battery Update

The Battery Update enhances the performance of the battery to ensure that full capacity is available for your PowerBook or iBook.

System Requirements

Installation of the Battery Update requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later.

The Battery Update supports the following products:

iBook (Dual USB)
iBook (Late 2001)
iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
iBook (32 VRAM)
iBook G4 (12-inch)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI)
PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800)
PowerBook G4 (17-inch)
PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz)
Note: Once the Battery Update software has been installed, each battery you install in your PowerBook or iBook will be updated automatically.

Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iBook, and PowerBook are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

iElvis
Dec 17, 2003, 03:21 PM
Maybe this will improve battary life. Altho I can not complain about mine. i can easially get 4 hours out of it.

AmigoMac
Dec 17, 2003, 03:24 PM
I'll be back in 3 min....:)

Hope this will get my battery over 3.5 h ...

SilentPanda
Dec 17, 2003, 03:25 PM
I wonder why the iBook G4 (14 inch) is not listed... I'll put it on my iBook G4 (12 inch) when I get home...

AmigoMac
Dec 17, 2003, 03:37 PM
I guess I won't get it until my next flight ... but hope it will help me a bit more...;) , it's reaching 3:00, full speed, and itunes on!

coumerelli
Dec 17, 2003, 03:52 PM
listen to you guys....:o :rolleyes: 3 hours and still ticking....2+ hours, FOUR hours!!!! I have the 15" powerbook firewire 800 and am lucky to get an hour 45! :( I REALLY hope that this improves the life of my battery....will let you know later....

edit: well, it's later now and am SUPER thrilled to report that it looks like the battery has more than DOUBLED its life. I always look at the percentage (and compare to the 'time' the menubar gives me) and it's now draining NEARLY as quickly. Hallelujah! woo-hoo! - That translates into 3.5 hours! Go Apple!

pianojoe
Dec 17, 2003, 03:53 PM
This was overdue. Panther did something to my battery life that I didn't approve.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 03:54 PM
Last Friday my PowerBook lasted for about 3 hours and 45 minutes on the plane with processor at automatic, screen at 2/3 brightness, Word, iCal, and Webster's dictionary open and backlit keyboard at full. If this makes it last for longer, I am afraid I'll never use that extra battery I ordered with my PowerBook. :)

QCassidy352
Dec 17, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by coumerelli
listen to you guys....:o :rolleyes: 3 hours and still ticking....2+ hours, FOUR hours!!!! I have the 15" powerbook firewire 800 and am lucky to get an hour 45! :( I REALLY hope that this improves the life of my battery....will let you know later....

an hour 45? yikes. :eek: what are your options like? AE? BT? screen brightness? processor speed? apps running?

I get ~3.5 hours with my rev. B 12" PB. Depends on usage and screen brightness though... could be under 3 or up to 4.

I hope this update is like firmware update 1.3 was for the original ipods. Oh man did that change battery life... :D

edgar_is_good
Dec 17, 2003, 03:59 PM
I ran this update with a nearly full battery and now I have (it claims) 0% batter left. And yet the computer is working just fine. What the hey?!!?

Xbattery shows me with a full 4.4Ah

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 04:01 PM
same here.
Just installed it. I get average use of 2:30hours on my new pb12" that's with automatic and full screen running lots of apps, safari, itunes, mail..etc.

I hope this makes it even longer! It's at 90% charging but still says 2 more hours to charge! :) how do they do that!?!?!?

Can't have come at a better time for me. Going on 2 plane rides all day in 2 days!

Will post after!

Quote:
I get ~3.5 hours with my rev. B 12" PB. Depends on usage and screen brightness though... could be under 3 or up to 4.

I hope this update is like firmware update 1.3 was for the original ipods. Oh man did that change battery life... :D [/B][/QUOTE]

McMike
This may just be a spell mistake by Apple, but in the german version of the update there are 3 PowerBooks 12":
PowerBook 12"
PowerBook 12" (DVI)
PowerBook 12" (FW 800)
Just a mistake or is it like with G5's appearing at Apple Store 3 days before launch?

dracoleb
maybe if you re-calibrate the battery it will read correctly

dracoleb
Dec 17, 2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by McMike
This may just be a spell mistake by Apple, but in the german version of the update there are 3 PowerBooks 12":
PowerBook 12"
PowerBook 12" (DVI)
PowerBook 12" (FW 800)
Just a mistake or is it like with G5's appearing at Apple Store 3 days before launch?
The US one says PowerBook 15" (FW 800) instead of 12"

GroundLoop
Dec 17, 2003, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know why the 14" iBook G4 isn't included in the update?

Hickman

duce
Dec 17, 2003, 04:07 PM
Attempted a software update and no updates are available. Does this update skip the original Titanium PB users?

///M Power
Dec 17, 2003, 04:08 PM
I really hope this helps my iBook Dual USB!

I get an amazing 17 minutes or so of battery life! Reduced speed, brightness as far done as possible, Airport on and using.

My PowerBook G4 500MHz gets about 3 or something 3:30 or so with brightness down all the way, reduced speed, Airport on etc.

McMike
Dec 17, 2003, 04:09 PM
I maybe wrong but I think there was also the 15" in the german version noticed separately! I've just updated so I can't access the info any more... Maybe someone else with a german OS can confirm this!

McMike
Dec 17, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by duce
Attempted a software update and no updates are available. Does this update skip the original Titanium PB users?

This update is only for Al PB!

dho
Dec 17, 2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by edgar_is_good
I ran this update with a nearly full battery and now I have (it claims) 0% batter left. And yet the computer is working just fine. What the hey?!!?

Xbattery shows me with a full 4.4Ah

That 0% probobly refers to something like 0.1...% that needs to be charged after the update was done and the extra capacity discovered. Give it a minute or two and you should be ok. Otherwise, goodluck :)

RedMacMan
Dec 17, 2003, 04:16 PM
I've had my PB 15 1.25GHz plugged in all morning here at work, so the battery was full, but after that update it tells me "0:51 until full".

? (!)

This thing's gonna suck down another HOUR of juice?? Suhhhhhhweet!

As it is I forgot to condition the battery when I first got it (DOH!) so have only been seeing about 2 hour battery life. Hopefully this will improve that.

Wuddel
Dec 17, 2003, 04:19 PM
I wonder which iBook i have. Its a May-2002 12"-model with CD-ROM, 600 MHz G3 and 16 MB VRAM, but NOT opaque.

It still has Apple Garamond font for "iBook" and the "classic Dual-USB-Look".

beerguy
Dec 17, 2003, 04:20 PM
Hey RedMacMan - that's not due to lack of conditioning, that's what the 15 gets.....

jaredbbauer
Dec 17, 2003, 04:21 PM
Wow!! I am using a revA powerbook 12' and this little update just took me from an average of 1 hour and 45 minutes to a full three and a half hours! THANK YOU APPLE!

adamberti
Dec 17, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by duce

It does skip us indeed. Not sure why, I guess our PB's are perfect :D

uv23
Dec 17, 2003, 04:26 PM
Hmmm, with my fully charged battery and Rev B 12".

Before update: 3:45
After update: 2:52

Great.:rolleyes:

iChan
Dec 17, 2003, 04:28 PM
i get brilliant battery on mine... but that might be beacuse my first battery would only charge to about 40% and would go down in 30 minutes or so... my new charges to 99% (never 100%) and lasts a good three hours.

restiffbard
Dec 17, 2003, 04:28 PM
Anytime the battery in my late 2002 ibook 800 starts acting wonky they come out with some sort of update. The other day I swear to god it said I had 7 hours left. Usually I have about 5.

Ja Di ksw
Dec 17, 2003, 04:29 PM
I've always wondered how exactly these work. Do they somehow make your laptop use less energy, or do they make your battery be able to store more juice? If they effect the battery, how?

Also, I've never owned a laptop, but am more and more wanting one. Got to the point where I copmmletely filled out an order for a powerbook, but I'm still probably going to wait until I go to grad school. I'm wondering if these battery times, 2 hours, 4 hours, are normal. Maybe it's just because I'm inexperienced, but that seems horrible.

iChan
Dec 17, 2003, 04:30 PM
BTW, i actully think this update lets me charge my battery QUICKER than before.

edgar_is_good
Dec 17, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by dho
That 0% probobly refers to something like 0.1...% that needs to be charged after the update was done and the extra capacity discovered. Give it a minute or two and you should be ok. Otherwise, goodluck :)

Nope. Powerbook just put itself to sleep. And I didn't bring my charger because, well, it was fully charged! Will just wait until I get home, I guess.

plandu
Dec 17, 2003, 04:31 PM
Apple gave me a bum battery to begin with. I have never gotten over 1:30, and now it's down to about 45 minutes tops.

I called them up, and some lying representative told me that the 4 hour benchmark they give you is for when the computer's asleep. I was so pissed that anyone at apple would say that that i just hung up. He said i was doing well if i was getting 45 minutes with the computer on and running. I couldn't ******** believe it.

adamberti
Dec 17, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
I've always wondered how exactly these work. Do they somehow make your laptop use less energy, or do they make your battery be able to store more juice?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the update affects the battery. It must affect some chip in the battery or something. If it affected the laptop using power, I think it would have been included in an OS update (10.3.x). Also, this update is good for Jaguar and Panther, so it's independant of the OS, making me think it affects the battery.

That and the update says "Note: Once the Battery Update software has been installed, each battery you install in your PowerBook or iBook will be updated automatically."

So it's updating the battery, but not really making it store more juice, just making it communicate with the computer better.

robotx21
Dec 17, 2003, 04:37 PM
I just ran the update, and I only have 2 hrs battery life...is this normal?

bobbyp80521
Dec 17, 2003, 04:37 PM
I am in the library studying when I see on MR that there is the battery update. I was at 2 hours and 17 min when I installed it. I restarted and it says 1:47...... booooooooooooooooooooo

any suggestions for best battery life from people who have spent time to find out?

Nik_Doof
Dec 17, 2003, 04:38 PM
Well, heres a interesting fact.

12" PB DVI, 100% battery and my charger was showing green (charged yah). Installed and rebooted....just as it got into OSX i unplugged it and moved downstairs....to see my battery indicator showing 78%...

Maybe they've realised they can get more out of the Al batteries.

ant_s
Dec 17, 2003, 04:39 PM
I got two batteries with my Al-Book 15" 1.25, and they're both due a charge now, so it'll be interesting to see how different it is. I can't really say I've had much of a problem so far - nothing like 4.5 hours as quoted, but more like just under 3, and isn't really affected by what I'm running / doing, remarkably.

Both batteries seem the same in terms of charging time / charge life and I'm glad about that.

This is my first Mac after almost 7 years of PC. Had a lot of problems with charging batteries in a PC laptop, so it's great to have something reliable from a manufacturer that are interested in their customers' views, and update stuff whenever needed. I'm very happy with it! Consider me switched!

Wombatronic
Dec 17, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by plandu
Apple gave me a bum battery to begin with. I have never gotten over 1:30, and now it's down to about 45 minutes tops.

I called them up, and some lying representative told me that the 4 hour benchmark they give you is for when the computer's asleep. I was so pissed that anyone at apple would say that that i just hung up. He said i was doing well if i was getting 45 minutes with the computer on and running. I couldn't ******** believe it.

45 mins is abnormally short. Call apple back.

jasonbw
Dec 17, 2003, 04:40 PM
on a PB 12" rev a, i started with (from cold start>running update>restart, about 3 minutes) 2:02 left with 88% charge. after the update it listed initially 1:32 left, but now has climbed as high as 3:25 (i've done nothing except launch mail, energy saver {longest bat. life setting, low processor use} and wake up the screen about 3 times.)

It's up to 3:48 now, and i think the longest run i've ever gotten out of the battery was about 4 hours.

Looks like it leveled off, 3:41 with 86% charge. mind you, i've always thought the time left was more of a guestimate than a real countdown timer.

jasonbw
Dec 17, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Wombatronic
45 mins is abnormally short. Call apple back.

I've left my pb asleep for 24 hours before and still had about 50% charge, so thats just wrong. call apple and complain. they should send you a new battery...provided its still under warrenty.

Chealion
Dec 17, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by bobbyp80521
I am in the library studying when I see on MR that there is the battery update. I was at 2 hours and 17 min when I installed it. I restarted and it says 1:47...... booooooooooooooooooooo

any suggestions for best battery life from people who have spent time to find out?

You restarted the computer, that takes battery too, and a heck of a lot of hard drive spinning at that too.

adamberti
Dec 17, 2003, 04:49 PM
Just chatting with a friend of mine. He has a 15" AlBook. He had a nearly full battery, ran the update and restarted. As soon as it started up, it went to sleep, he had to plug it in to wake it up. The update completely drained his battery, it said 2%. Just asked him to check the LED's on the battery, indicator is only flashing one light, and hes upto 14% now.

Glad I'm using a TiBook :)

uberman42
Dec 17, 2003, 04:56 PM
i'm certain the low battery capacity has to do with systems that have MS Office installed in it...

...I'm kidding. I just thought I would get my daily allowance of MS bashing in.:p

jasonbw
Dec 17, 2003, 04:59 PM
the PB fell asleep, upon awakening, it was reading 6:05 left (Yay!)...then fell to 2:21 (boo.) Looks like its going to settle again at about 3:30 or so at 80%.

One thing i noticed, when i shut it down Monday night, it was at full charge. wasn't turned on until today (and after the update..about 5 minutes of on time) it read 88%. I'm wondering if the batteries haven't been charging up fully, and thats why the update was released.

either that or my battery has leached out 10% of its power in about 36 hours.

holy MAC!
Dec 17, 2003, 05:00 PM
something interesting just happened.

i ran the update, rebooted.

i had a full battery before

after reboot: 77%

so i was happy (OH MY GOD< MORE BATTERY LIFE>>>> HURRAYYY)

then, after charging for 15 minutes, it suddenly popped to 100%......

but now,

old time: 2:12
new time: 3:12

That's an hour's gain.

i just want to say the following:

10.2.7(1:45 hours) -> 10.2.8 (2:12 hours) -> panther updated ( 3:12 hours)

tizza
Dec 17, 2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by coumerelli
Yes I'm the same, lucky if I can get even near 2 hours under normal use - nothing fancy ... it's hard to believe others with the same machine could be getting over 3 hours!

LimeiBook86
Dec 17, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jaredbbauer
Wow!! I am using a revA powerbook 12' and this little update just took me from an average of 1 hour and 45 minutes to a full three and a half hours! THANK YOU APPLE!

I hope it fixes mine, mine only lasts for an hour, or an hour and a half. Only time will tell...

Longey Nowze
Dec 17, 2003, 05:04 PM
My PB was plugged in, fully charged green light was on, either 99% or 100% not sure, installed the update and restarted the light on the charger turned amber, and the battery was charging said it had 1:11 or something till fully charge, and it was on 88%!

what I think is the batteries don't charge to the fullest, and this update allows them to use their maximum capacity. I'm not an expert though.

THANKS
MaT

bobbyp80521
Dec 17, 2003, 05:09 PM
I wrote a lil while ago thta I had restarted with the new update with around 99% battery and 2:17 min left on it. after the reboot it had 1:47 left. Now I am sitting about 10-15 min later with 63% battery and 2:11 min remaining (however it is ticking off a min every 30 seconds) who knows wtf is goin on. I have yet to be impressed with any batterylife in a powerbook. While it is i'm sure a huge accomplishment to get it to 2 hours, if Jobs wants the market to move to notebooks like he has said, that number needs to be boosted up to around 6-10 hours... will it ever happen? yes. soon? doubt it.....:(

Longey Nowze
Dec 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
try re-calibrating your batteries, if that doesn't improve anything check your energy saver pref, try letting the HD spin down, maybe the CPU isn't set on Auto?

hope this helps
MaT

freaky57
Dec 17, 2003, 05:19 PM
I updated my 15 AL 1.25 PB with a 50% batt life. Like the rest of you after restart it went to 0% with a warning about running on reserve power. I plugged it in to charge and it now says 22% with 6:27 until full. Sorry to be stupid here, but what does that mean? 6 hours 27 minutes until full or I have 6 hours 27 minute capacity (i wish) or 6 minutes and 27 seconds until charged, what does that mean?

bobbyp80521
Dec 17, 2003, 05:23 PM
till it will be full

bensinc
Dec 17, 2003, 05:26 PM
So, will this upgrade fix my battery that was fried by that one Jaguar update?

laodamas
Dec 17, 2003, 05:27 PM
IIRC that the battery updates work by changing configuration data that is stored on a memory chip (EEPROM?) inside the battery. This update most likely forces a battery recalibration followed by changing the configuration of the APM, the circuitry that determines how much battery the system has left, the source of power, etc.

This update might benifit from the following:

TIL 58616
" To ensure the indication of remaining battery life is as accurate as possible, the battery should be fully discharged in your computer and then fully recharged. Simply use the PowerBook without the AC power connected until it shuts itself down, then plug in AC power and recharge the battery"

AppleMatt
Dec 17, 2003, 05:27 PM
Before Update: 3.04
After Update: 2.08

Really, what the ******?

AppleMatt

Gymnut
Dec 17, 2003, 05:31 PM
Huh, too bad Apple can't release something like this to improve the iPods battery life.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt

Really, what the ******?

AppleMatt

Did you re-calibrate your battery? Also, did you do the same things, have the same power profile, etc as before?

shen
Dec 17, 2003, 05:40 PM
try a short charge and unplug, repeat a few times. make sure you are getting the battery reset. in fact, try running the battery to dead and recharging before you get real excited.

right now, after some playing around, i am getting 45 minutes more than pre-update by the meter....

intendedaccel
Dec 17, 2003, 05:49 PM
Rev B 12" powerbook

No solid #'s but the battery life reported is definitely LESS after the update but about an hour. I guess we will wait and see what happens.

reckless_0001
Dec 17, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt

Really, what the ******?

AppleMatt

Well if you gave it 5-10 minutes to update the time after you restarted..... geez!

After I restarted I had 2hrs on a full charge let it sit while I did a little bit of web browsing and got 4hrs when I checked later.

walexx
I used to be lucky to get 2hours with my new 15" albook, now I have 1hr 37mins max.

Thanks for NOTHING Apple :(

machan
how long before the fluctuating time amount levels off after installing the update?

also, how do you go about recalibrating the battery?

VicMacs
Dec 17, 2003, 06:04 PM
somebody please state the procedure to do this assuming that onw ahs a charged battery

thank you

ariza910
Dec 17, 2003, 06:04 PM
For all of you complaining about battery life below 2hrs that is probably due to the fact that you have the power setting to max CPU and HD.

change the settings a little and dim the screen a few notches, you should be able to get above 3hrs.

I have an Al powerbook and get 1hr30min at max CPU and about 3hrs by making some adjustments.

And please stop posting "after the battery update my meter says 50% and before it said 75% I lost battery life blah blah blah"

The only way to really tell if it made a difference is if you timed the battery from full charge to empty and then timed it again from full to empty after the update under the same use conditions. I doubt anyone has done this.

The battery % or Time bar are just an estimate and hardly scientific or accurate

applemacdude
Dec 17, 2003, 06:09 PM
OK PEOPLE Calibrate your battery by letting the battery drain completely without using the computer. Let it charge back up 'till its down. Maybe this will help

bobbyp80521
Dec 17, 2003, 06:10 PM
after the battery update my meter says 50% and before it said 75% I lost battery life blah blah blah

isd_glory
Dec 17, 2003, 06:15 PM
After running in a fairly low-drain situation (BT/wireless off, reduced cpu) for 70 minutes, my 15" Al powerbook is at 71%. At that rate, it shoud be good for a solid 4 hours. The battery icon seems to think that there is another 3 hours of life left in the batter. While it is a little better than before the update, it doesn't feel like much of a drastic improvement. All in all, I'm appreciative of the extra 30 minutes of time. Thanks Apple!

shen
Dec 17, 2003, 06:15 PM
calibrate: use the machine till it dies out from under you. literally shuts down from lack of power. plug it back in and charge it back up!

and FWIW, i always use highest CPU, and have 3 to 3 1/2 hours easy. i also do the above once a month. go figure.

Bob Knob
Dec 17, 2003, 06:18 PM
For all those posting that you have less battery time after the update might want to stop and think about what this update does.
It resets and re-calibrates your computer and your battery to more accurately determine the battery's charged state. When your battery is being charged the charge cycle will stop when the battery reports a full charge. If it falsely reports full when it's not then you get a shorter use time. Because the last time your battery was charged/cycled was before the update it's likely your battery wasn't really fully charged, even though the system thought it was. Now that you are using the new software you are seeing just how much of a difference there was. Until you have had time to cycle a battery there is no way you can tell if this update has had any impact at all.

FYI, I have been using this update since Monday on a test iBook and it gained roughly 40 minutes (average) of life between charges. I didn't really see any difference the first time it was charged, but the next charge was like having a new battery again.
(I didn't just break an NDA saying installed on Monday, and no, I did not get it illegally)

ethernet76
Dec 17, 2003, 06:19 PM
I've done calculations, and letting my 800 FW 15" Powerbook sleep for 24 hours only used 12% of the battery. However, I must echo that the battery life is unusually short. I get like 2 hours out of the battery. Yay!

paulie
Dec 17, 2003, 06:19 PM
I'd been worried about erratic battery performance on my Rev A 12" PB.

So far, I've been able to cycle the battery (partway to empty, empty to full, draining again now) and I'm getting about 25% longer life out of a 10-month old battery.

In my "travel mode" (dim screen, airport extreme off, bluetooth off, reduced processor), I am now seeing a report of 5 hours of battery life, something I've never seen out of my little PB.

If the PB even lasts the 4 hours my iBook lasted, I'll be more than happy.

Up until this update, I never saw more than 3 hours out of the battery.

miya
Dec 17, 2003, 06:26 PM
I think that the Energy Saver tab is terrible. I cannot tell the differences between the modes. For example, I'm not sure that the only difference between 'dvd playback' and 'highest performance' is just in the screen/sleep times. Ditto presentations. Does automatic adjusts your CPU performance automatically? If not, what's the actual difference with Highest performance? I think that there's more going on under the hood than what the configurator suggests.

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 06:35 PM
I think re-calibrating might be a good thing.
ALSO TO ADD: I would charge back up (after draining it by using it) WITHOUT using it at the same time. That wrecked one of my batteries before. So, drain it, and just plug it back in with lid closed.

I have a 12" rev. B.
Was: 2:30 on high and bright scree, airport and average of 5 applications running.

NOW: 3hours

Dimming the screen a bit really saves battery life, so does turning the airport off.

The above timings are using AUTOMATIC setting and running airport, full screen light and running Safari, Mail, iChat, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Virus things, podquest, weather drop, Remote Desktop, isync, Norton AntiVirus.

edgar_is_good
Dec 17, 2003, 06:35 PM
[i]
The only way to really tell if it made a difference is if you timed the battery from full charge to empty and then timed it again from full to empty after the update under the same use conditions. I doubt anyone has done this.

The battery % or Time bar are just an estimate and hardly scientific or accurate [/B]

Huh, that's funny. I thought by having a full charge, running the update, then having it say 0% and shutting down I could tell that I had lost battery life, but I guess you're the expert!

ariza910
Dec 17, 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by bobbyp80521
after the battery update my meter says 50% and before it said 75% I lost battery life blah blah blah

funny :)

rog
Dec 17, 2003, 06:36 PM
I don't know why I only get 20 minutes of battery life on my 17" AlBook. All I was doing was burning a DVD while backing up with carbon copy cloner to a firewire powered portable hard drive, charging my ipod, playing iTunes with the visualizer on large in the background, while running some photoshop filters on 5 GB files and doing some net surfing over airport and syncing my palm pilot and watching a divx movie in a small window. While I know it's bad to have screen brightness all the way up and processor at highest setting, I figure I made up for that by taking out the RAM and putting in a 128MB chip to save the power of having to access all that RAM. Maybe part of the problem is that I also had Norton utilities & AltiVec Fractal Demo running in Classic in the background. I hope this updates lets me do all that and gives me 42 hours of power instead of 20 minutes.

CrackedButter
Dec 17, 2003, 06:44 PM
15" 1.25Ghz here

before this update i had a 3:12 battery life, thats with the screen dimmed to 1 bar and the processor turned doen and with BT + Airport turned off.

mAH was 3428 but it only charged to 3427, this mAH had come down from 3600 mAH.

no after performing the update i have 81% on my battery charged, this WAS reporting as being fully charged before the update.

Also now my mAH is 4200.

I cannot wait to find out the new battery life.

I had calibrated this battery last week and the update must of taken this into account...maybe I dunno i'm guessing here.

shen
Dec 17, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by rog
I don't know why I only get 20 minutes of battery life on my 17" AlBook. All I was doing was burning a DVD while backing up with carbon copy cloner to a

i would call apple about that.

no, better yet, make a video where you deface posters. that should help.

BillClinton
Dec 17, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by shen
i would call apple about that.

no, better yet, make a video where you deface posters. that should help.

He was being sarcastic.

shen
Dec 17, 2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by BillClinton
He was being sarcastic.

oh dear, i wasn't! :rolleyes:

bobbyp80521
Dec 17, 2003, 07:00 PM
whoever made that video seams ignorant to me....

CrackedButter
Dec 17, 2003, 07:10 PM
I got an extra 50 minutes out of the update.

alset
Dec 17, 2003, 07:45 PM
I don't understand why so many people have problems with absurdly low battery time on their PBs and iBooks. What I really don't understand is the group-think need to slam Apple instead of complaining when you buy your machine. If I had those results with my iBook I would have had it checked out within a couple days of purchase.

Do your part to get it fixed or don't complain. (I know this is unusually harsh and doesn't apply to all cases - use your discretion to determine if you think I'm talking about you. Out of the box battery problems without consulting Apple or demanding a fix is an example of those on the "no-right-to-bash" list.)

My iBook usually lasts four to five hours or more when I squeeze the settings for juice.

Dan

gopher
Dec 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
Just finished speaking to AppleCare. My battery life dropped from 3:30 to 1:30 after the update. They tell me to

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

- reset the power manager

And if that doesn't work, recalibrate the battery.

To recalibrate the battery though is a bit dangerous if you don't have a backup. If you don't plug the power in in time, your directory may be hosed the next time you boot up. To recalibrate the battery:

1. Let the battery drain until the screen goes dark with Energy saver turned off.
2. Immediately plug in the power and let it recharge overnight.

matznentosh
Dec 17, 2003, 07:51 PM
I have one of the new higher amp OWC batteries for my Tibook 800. It lasts longer, definitely, than Apple's original.

But what will this new update to to it? Will it flummox the chip or will the battery be able to deal with it?:confused:

nickfit
Dec 17, 2003, 08:04 PM
I just got my powerbook back from repair. The main reason was to have the white spots repaired. I also complained about the battery and had it replace, it was only holding about 2.4 ah. The new one holds 4.4. I just did the batter update and am in the middle of calibrating the battery. While doing this, I burned a DVD, watch about 40 minutes of a dvd I copied to my hard drive. Surfed the net, the whole time I had my airport card on. So far, I have gotten about 2+ hours. Clearly it is calibrating, since it was stuck on six minutes for about 15 minutes. And, then it jumped to 2:08. Now it is about at :13.

Anyway, I would definetely calibrate your batteries before coming to a conclusion about this update. It also should not be too risky. Just run it down while having the adapter ready to plug in. Even if it does go to sleep for a while, it should not cause any problems.

Counterfit
Dec 17, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by matznentosh
I have one of the new higher amp OWC batteries for my Tibook 800. It lasts longer, definitely, than Apple's original.

But what will this new update to to it? Will it flummox the chip or will the battery be able to deal with it?:confused: Neither, the update doesn't apply to you. I'll update myself in a bit, then see what comes up...

dracoleb
Dec 17, 2003, 09:02 PM
What I did was install the update while plugged in, let it go full. After that I unplugged it and it gave me 2:40. I wasn't worried, installed the 10.3.2 update, restarted that, now on still on my way to re-calibration but I'm at 87% and my meter reads 4:10 left. Don't rely on the battery meter to tell you how long you have to go. Right now it's changing from 3:50 to 4:05, back and forth. I wouldn't worry too much just because it gave you wacky numbers. Most battery timers have to learn how fast your system sucks juice. BTW I'm on an iBook G4 12"

Les Kern
Dec 17, 2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by rog
I don't know why I only get 20 minutes of battery life on my 17" AlBook. All I was doing was burning a DVD while backing up with carbon copy cloner to a firewire powered portable hard drive, charging my ipod, playing iTunes with the visualizer on large in the background, while running some photoshop filters on 5 GB files and doing some net surfing over airport and syncing my palm pilot and watching a divx movie in a small window. While I know it's bad to have screen brightness all the way up and processor at highest setting, I figure I made up for that by taking out the RAM and putting in a 128MB chip to save the power of having to access all that RAM. Maybe part of the problem is that I also had Norton utilities & AltiVec Fractal Demo running in Classic in the background. I hope this updates lets me do all that and gives me 42 hours of power instead of 20 minutes.

Heck, I did all that with mine PLUS fried a couple strips of bacon on the heat sink and STILL got 30 minutes. You got ripped off by Apple again! :)

jnathanj
Dec 17, 2003, 10:13 PM
I have a G4PB 1.25ghz w/FW800. My battery life stunk since day one with this thing. Generally I never get even 2 hrs, even with minimal powerdraw. This was beginning to make me actually complain about my laptop. I installed the update and after a VERY long restart, it said I needed to charge for 4 hours!!!

I put the laptop to sleep for about 15 minutes and when I opened it back up it had a full charge. Now I am running it on battery and it is telling me 3 hours remaining. This is VERY MUCH BETTER than it was before by at least an hour. To any PB users with the new laptops, this IS A MUST HAVE!!!

Enjoy.
N

Les Kern
Dec 17, 2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by bensinc
So, will this upgrade fix my battery that was fried by that one Jaguar update?

You didn't have that replaced by Apple yet? It's free, you know.

sjk
Dec 17, 2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by iChan
BTW, i actully think this update lets me charge my battery QUICKER than before. Yeah, I noticed that with my Late 2001 iBook 600 after doing a full discharge and PMU reset. But the menu bar meter has been stuck at "Calculating... until full" for quite awhile and X-Charge claims a 100% charged, with its orange Dock icon orange instead of green. The battery capacity is still what it was before installing Apple's battery update and recharging. I might have to go through another iteration of this later, letting the battery charge overnight while I'm not using the system. I'd be glad to get 2.5-3 hours from this battery again, which was possible earlier this year after recalibration but it's gone downhill fast the last couple months.

ITR 81
Dec 17, 2003, 10:36 PM
Too bad we TiBook users can't get this update. But then again I'm already getting 3hrs and 45 mins normally out of my PB thats already just over a yr old used everyday. The most I've gotten has been 3hrs and 54 mins. I guess I could get more if I turn the screen down and kill my modem and external mouse. Then I would probably be able to do 4 hr or just over that.

sjk
Dec 17, 2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by shen
calibrate: use the machine till it dies out from under you. literally shuts down from lack of power.Hmm, mine always goes to sleep first and only wakes up if plugged in. A near-empty battery will last another couple hours sitting in single-user mode (command-S during startup) doing nothing before the system finally fully shuts down.

nagromme
Dec 17, 2003, 11:12 PM
Nobody should be posting or comparing times unless they have actually timed it with a CLOCK before and after the update. How much time do you REALLY get?

The number in the menu bar is just an estimate, affected greatly by moment-to-moment changes in use, and by calibration. The estimate given at first will often turn out to be wrong based on your actual usage of the machine. That's normal, as long as you get your warning when the juice is low.

Now, it's interesting to know how often that estimate tends, over time and many charges, to be close to the actual life. But compared to actual battery life... it's trivial.

In other words, looking at the number in the meter just after the update is pretty meaningless. See what happens in the real world instead.

Counterfit
Dec 17, 2003, 11:17 PM
That's what he meant. It doesn't shut down, but goes to sleep to protect the contents of the RAM. You'd better be near power though, because the internal reserve lasts three minutes at most, but I'm not sure about the reserve held in the main battery. I think I've read 15-20 minutes for that.

eurrythmic
Dec 17, 2003, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know, as a matter of fact, if the update actually affects the battery? This I wonder because I have two batteries for my 15" PowerBook 1.25GHz.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 11:29 PM
According to the documentation that came with the SWU, the second battery will automatically be updated once you pop it in.

coumerelli
Dec 17, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by eurrythmic
Does anyone know, as a matter of fact, if the update actually affects the battery? This I wonder because I have two batteries for my 15" PowerBook 1.25GHz.

The artcle states that when each battery is put in the laptop that it will be updated, so, yes.

coumerelli
Dec 17, 2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
According to the documentation that came with the SWU, the second battery will automatically be updated once you pop it in.

ahh, you beat me to it

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 11:40 PM
I guess we discovered who the fastest gun in the west is. ;)

On the subject, it is taking forever and a day for my battery to charge back up after draining it. I checked about a half hour ago and it said 54 minutes until charged and now it says an hour and 34 minutes until charged. It never took this long to charge before and I've always had decent battery life so I'm sure it's charged up pretty fully in the past.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 17, 2003, 11:41 PM
17" pb @ 1.33ghz ...

My battery was fully charged after downloading; after restarting, it needed 15% more charge.

I downloaded the entire X.2.3 upgrade on about 60% of a full charge with a 40kbps dial-up connection. Discharging to 3% after restart...

It seems to recharging faster, too.

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Huh, too bad Apple can't release something like this to improve the iPods battery life.

they have. 1.3

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by applemacdude
OK PEOPLE Calibrate your battery by letting the battery drain completely without using the computer. Let it charge back up 'till its down. Maybe this will help

what do you mean without using the computer?

leave it sleeping?

i presume by simply having it turned on, you are actually putting it "in use"...

SBG88
Dec 18, 2003, 12:22 AM
I'm happy for all of you that this update helped. My battery does not get past 1 hour until fully charged on one. The other just says calculating...

BUMMER dude!!!

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by gopher
Just finished speaking to AppleCare. My battery life dropped from 3:30 to 1:30 after the update. They tell me to

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

- reset the power manager

And if that doesn't work, recalibrate the battery.

To recalibrate the battery though is a bit dangerous if you don't have a backup. If you don't plug the power in in time, your directory may be hosed the next time you boot up. To recalibrate the battery:

1. Let the battery drain until the screen goes dark with Energy saver turned off.
2. Immediately plug in the power and let it recharge overnight.

is it possible to turn off energy saver? doesn't seem feasible...

merges
Dec 18, 2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by iChan
is it possible to turn off energy saver? doesn't seem feasible...

I think the poster meant "turn off Energy Saver energy saving features", i.e. by preventing screen dimming, preventing hard disk sleep, etc.

eurrythmic
Dec 18, 2003, 12:46 AM
Oh cool! Thank you!

legacyb4
Dec 18, 2003, 03:07 AM
G4 PB 12" rev.B
Battery Update

03:45

Screen brightness at 6 ticks
Airport Extreme
Casual surfing

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 03:10 AM
12-inch PB Rev A

BL @ 4
AE
Browsing and listening to music...

4:20

started at 5:15!!!!

dropped quickly and seems to have levelled off now.

oops, 4:05 now... :rolleyes:

achmafooma
Dec 18, 2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
Nobody should be posting or comparing times unless they have actually timed it with a CLOCK before and after the update. How much time do you REALLY get?
BINGO.... my time estimates on my iBook have never been anywhere close to the actual times I get.

The estimate tends to be about 1:30, but I usually get closer to 2:00 or 2:30.

I've run the battery update, but won't need to do much work on the iBook 'til next week... so I don't know if it improves anything.

Zeke
Dec 18, 2003, 08:47 AM
How do you check the capacity of your battery? I see people saying 3427mAh up to 4400. I'd like to check that as well. Thanks.

KBFinFan
Dec 18, 2003, 09:19 AM
If you fire up Terminal (Applications-> Utilities->Terminal).. and type in
"ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo"
(no quotes) it should come up with the capacity and voltage.

ImAlwaysRight
Dec 18, 2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
17" pb @ 1.33ghz ...

I downloaded the entire X.2.3 upgrade on about 60% of a full charge with a 40kbps dial-up connection.Now that's just sick. The fastest laptop with the slowest possible internet connection. I'd rather be on an iBook 12" with a cable internet connection...

tace
Dec 18, 2003, 09:46 AM
After the battery update I get to see the battery level indicator at 100% for the first time in weeks. I also noticed that it took longer to charge, so hoping it will take longer to drain.
<p>

:)

nickfit
Dec 18, 2003, 11:11 AM
It seems to work great for me. Of course, the experiment is tainted by the fact that this update came on the day I got my powerbook (15 1.25ghz) back from applecare to have the white spot ridden screen and battery replaced. So, I defintely got a boost from having a battery that holds 4.4ah compared to the original one what was down to holding 2.4. Regardless, I got over two hours this morning while surfing the web (wirelessly), and writing some email and what not, and after 2+ hours the meter was still saying I had anywhere between 1:30 and 1:15 left. Oh yeah, I calibrated the battery too. While running it down, I noticed that the meter was really eradict. but, before I downloaded the fix, and calibrated the battery, it was only showing about 3 hours with a full charge. Now it shows almost 4.

But, as someone noted above, that meter fluctuates with use, so it is really only a guide. If you want to know, I suggest collecting some data by running the battery down and couple of times, and marking down the times.

iShater
Dec 18, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by miya
I think that the Energy Saver tab is terrible. I cannot tell the differences between the modes. For example, I'm not sure that the only difference between 'dvd playback' and 'highest performance' is just in the screen/sleep times. Ditto presentations. Does automatic adjusts your CPU performance automatically? If not, what's the actual difference with Highest performance? I think that there's more going on under the hood than what the configurator suggests.

I second this motion of hating it. One ONE customized option? heck windows lets you save different customized options, which would be perfect for me as sometime I need to change the mix.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 12:45 PM
I personally miss the Energy Saver control strip module from OS 9. I think it was more flexible and I liked being able to spin down my HD on the fly with a click of a button from my control strip.

iShater
Dec 18, 2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I personally miss the Energy Saver control strip module from OS 9. I think it was more flexible and I liked being able to spin down my HD on the fly with a click of a button from my control strip.

Now that would be cool to have!

Does anybody know of power management utilities for OSX that go around the horrible Energy Saver?

Thanks.

michelle
Dec 18, 2003, 01:40 PM
Has anyone noticed a difference with the battery update yet? I still get about the same battery life as before.

Marlon_JBT
Dec 18, 2003, 01:44 PM
Here's what happened here.

Rev. A 12" PowerBook, screen on lowest setting, Reduced power, Only thing open is Safari.

Battery meter:

5:25
8:08
6:06
5:25
4:43

It seems to be leveling off now, around 4:30 - 5:00. If this is true, I am going to jump for joy!

michelle
Dec 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
Wow, 8:08??

Am switching now to longest battery life, maybe I will see a bigger difference, thanks.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 02:00 PM
I think that the 8 hour time was just a quick jump while Energy Saver was calculating its actual estimated time. I don't see anything being able to make the battery last that long, although the 4 1/2 to 5 hour time does seem highly likely. I usually got 3-4 easily before the update and even before I upgraded to Panther, so if this update does improve mine, then my 15" will hopefully be in the 4 to 4 1/2 hour range, which would be awesome considering its larger screen, higher processor clock speed and 5400 rpm HD.

lakhdip
Dec 18, 2003, 02:25 PM
After installing the update and doing the calibration thing,

I've got 2hrs 40mins out of it with another 50mins showing on the meter which should mean something around 3hrs 15 - 3hrs 30.

This is with Airport ON
screen brightness on 2 bars
and just mildy surfing the net
a couple of things running in the background but the only active ones are msn and safari.

All in all, i think that represents a significant improvement over before, it did take a while to charge it up the first time though so maybe its like a bug fix whereby the battery used to report 100% charged but it was still not quite at the max level.

BTW: which app can tell you the actual power in the battery and stuff like the charge stored in it? and what are the expected levels for the 15 FW800 battery?

Thanks

stcanard
Dec 18, 2003, 03:29 PM
15" ALPB (FW800)

The update caused my reported capacity to jump from 3800 Ah to 4200.

Based on these settings;

Screen brightness 1 bar
All networking turned off
Bluetooth turned off

(iow my "airplane" configuration)

Battery life before was ~ 3:15
Battery life now is reported as 4:00

This was with iTunes playing to simulate a lightly loaded environment.

I haven't tried running it down all the way, but the time remaining before was acurate on mine, so assuming the new reported capacity is there I would expect to hit 4:00

stcanard
Dec 18, 2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by lakhdip
BTW: which app can tell you the actual power in the battery and stuff like the charge stored in it? and what are the expected levels for the 15 FW800 battery?

Thanks

There is a program to check (I think it's called XBattery?) but I just issue the following from terminal:

ioreg -l | grep IOBatteryInfo

Actually I put an alias in my .profile so I don't have to remember that.

Les Kern
Dec 18, 2003, 03:43 PM
Once again I escape devastating issues sometimes associated with an update.
Here's a pic after the update. Before it said 53 mins. I'm not expecting to get 4 hours, but 3 would be sweet. (I have all settings on "I don't care, I need the speed and it HAS to be bright too".

visor
Dec 18, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by rog

shocking ;) call for warranty.

davesag
Dec 22, 2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Gymnut

damn straight. i have a fairly new 30gb ipod and to get it to full charge i need to let it charge until it thinks its full, then unplug it from the dock and reconnect it again, and let it charge up again until it thinks its charged, and over and over. each time it holds a little more charge than before, and after a day of this i get a fully charged ipod that will give me 8hrs of play time. but it used to be different, and i fully expect my battery will just vanish soon.

CmdrLaForge
Dec 22, 2003, 08:04 AM
On my iBook 900MHz I get more then 3 hours. I don't see a change before and after the update. The 3 h is timed by watch and not what the iBook says.

sethypoo
Dec 22, 2003, 06:07 PM
Haven't noticed any real increases in battery power with my 12" PowerBook G4 (rev. A). We'll see with increased battery use.

sethypoo
Dec 22, 2003, 06:10 PM
After installing the battery update I've noticed one very annoying problem: when my 12" PowerBook G4 (rev. A) is unplugged, the battery indicator in my menu bar says "Charged". Does anyone else have this problem?

See picture below. I think I'll post this in Software Discussion and Help.
Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, when unplugged, my PowerBook doesn't tell me how much charge is left, if just says unplugged. The picture below was taken while my PowerBook was unplugged.

sjk
Dec 22, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
After installing the battery update I've noticed one very annoying problem: when my 12" PowerBook G4 (rev. A) is unplugged, the battery indicator in my menu bar says "Charged". Does anyone else have this problem?I've noticed the Battery Menu Extra not always being updated.
I "fix" it by running killall -v -HUP SystemUIServer in a Terminal shell to restart the SystemUIServer process.

plasticparadox
Dec 23, 2003, 12:48 PM
This is what I get after the update.

:D

Marlon_JBT
Dec 28, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by McMike
PowerBook 12"
PowerBook 12" (DVI)
PowerBook 12" (FW 800)

Hmm, this could be a sign of things to come. :) I'm VERY SURPRISED that everyone thinks that this is a typo.

Maybe we're getting 12" PowerBooks with a 1.25 GHz processor, AND FireWire 800 at MWSF?

just dreaming.

By the way, my battery life increased to 4:30 under normal use. :D