PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.3.2 Released

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Dec 17, 2003, 06:43 PM
Apple released Mac OS X 10.3.2 in your Software Update:

The 10.3.2 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:

improved file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks
more robust printing to PostScript printers
improved font management
updated Mail and Address Book applications
new ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
FileVault, FireWire 800, WebDAV and USB Printing improvements from Update 10.3.1
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25652

Important Note:
Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Even with the improvements available in this update, Apple recommends you update the firmware on your FireWire drive. Please contact your drive manufacturer for more information.

mac15
Dec 17, 2003, 06:46 PM
awesome, doing the update now. hope all goes well

evolu
Dec 17, 2003, 06:49 PM
Love to update!!!!

McToast
Dec 17, 2003, 06:49 PM
I hope it fixes the QPS problem.

neonart
Dec 17, 2003, 06:50 PM
Battery update and 10.3.2 on 12" Book going on right now.
I'm very excited about the new drivers! Lets see how she does...

kwajo.com
Dec 17, 2003, 06:51 PM
i am so there! I hope this fixes all the stuff that was causing others grief

and battery update sounds exciting!

Interiority
Dec 17, 2003, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know how big this update is? It hasn't shown up in the downloads section yet...

BillClinton
Dec 17, 2003, 06:52 PM
38.2 megs

MattG
Dec 17, 2003, 06:53 PM
new ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers Sweet. Hopefully "new ATI drivers" that let my G4 wake up from sleep properly. We'll see...

isd_glory
Dec 17, 2003, 06:54 PM
Battery Update and 10.3.2. Today is awsome:D

froehle
Dec 17, 2003, 06:56 PM
Just installed on my dual 2ghz G5. Works great, although I don't notice any differences.

svenas1
Dec 17, 2003, 06:58 PM
D/ling now... let's see if this blows ;-)

S.

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 06:59 PM
The document link does not work for me... anyone???

blueBomber
Dec 17, 2003, 07:01 PM
my download is horribly SLOOOOOWWWW. Apple must be getting hit hard for this or something. All of my other large downloads are moving along at around 300kb a sec

Xero
Dec 17, 2003, 07:01 PM
sweet. this was released pretty much right when i opened safari to Macrumors. (still said "Add Comments") :P

hmm... maybe this will fix my Activity Moniter.app not working...

reiggin
Dec 17, 2003, 07:08 PM
I got it AMAZINGLY fast. Yay for Comcast upping bandwidth to 3Mbps.

Originally posted by blueBomber
my download is horribly SLOOOOOWWWW. Apple must be getting hit hard for this or something. All of my other large downloads are moving along at around 300kb a sec

CrackedButter
Dec 17, 2003, 07:09 PM
)*$*%$

I just updated the battery and NOW THIS!

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 07:10 PM
Restart took quite a bit longer than usual..and things seem to run a little bit on the draggy side..anyone exp. the same thing?

myndlinksw
Dec 17, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by reiggin

Yea, i'm getting abuot 460k down instead of the 230k I got about a week ago... ;)

BillClinton
Dec 17, 2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by pb1212580
Restart took quite a bit longer than usual..and things seem to run a little bit on the draggy side..anyone exp. the same thing?

Yeah, my startup time was a little slower, I'm repairing permissions now, hope that'll speed things up a bit.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 07:13 PM
Is it just me or is OS 10.3.2 really, really slow now? It takes me an extra 8 seconds to boot up and snappiness is even worse than Jaguar was by quite a bit. I repaired permissions and checked my disk just in case and everything should be fine... :(

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 07:16 PM
I swear it's taking 2x the time than before to boot up.
It seems to take a bit more time than usual at the gray screen and apple screen.

THEN, Loading the menus and desktop took A LONG TIME...!!! You really notice it!!!

I rebooted it twice just to make sure..

Stella
Dec 17, 2003, 07:18 PM
Apple still haven't got Dual Head working correctly.

My monitor is capable of 1152xXXX, yet it doesn't show up in Display Preferences. I get 1024.768 and 1280x768. Unfortunately, at 1280x768, the refresh rate is too low - only 60Hz.

1024.x768 is too small resolution, and 1152 is just right - has good refresh rates available.

I know Panther is capable of 1152xXXXX resolutions, because it gives the option on another 17" monitor I've used.

I shall see whether Apple have fixed Networking - can find that out tomorrow at work - can't see any PC machines on the network. Jaquar I could see all machines.

CrackedButter
Dec 17, 2003, 07:19 PM
You tell us now while i'm downloading it! :)

fluidinclusion
Dec 17, 2003, 07:22 PM
Well, I'm going to wait before installing 10.3.2 for a bit. I can say that with an "Archive and Install", my 10.3.0 and 10.3.1 are CONSIDERABLY slower than 10.2.x ever was. Permissions are not a problem. I've got a Dual 800 with 1.25 Gigs of RAM.

Specifically, there are several things slower, and a few faster.

Good news with 10.3.1: Start up is definitely faster (haven't timed it though).

Bad news: Simple functions in the finder are much slower. Although menus are about the same, Command-Deleting files to the trash are MUCH slower. Also, scrolling through image previews or movie previews are INCREDIBLY slow in column view, whereas in 10.2.x or even 10.1.x, they were <0.5 seconds. Now, although variable, I have to wait ~1 second to as long as 10 seconds (even for small <100 kb .jpg files) before the preview shows up.

I've also had intermittent wake from sleep problems that I hope are fixed with 10.3.2 (I've got a GeForce 3).

Stella
Dec 17, 2003, 07:23 PM
Yep, I agree - Panther performance has definitely been reduced. :-( Its like Jaquar.

Originally posted by pb1212580
I swear it's taking 2x the time than before to boot up.
It seems to take a bit more time than usual at the gray screen and apple screen.

THEN, Loading the menus and desktop took A LONG TIME...!!! You really notice it!!!

I rebooted it twice just to make sure..

wwworry
Dec 17, 2003, 07:27 PM
download canceled

My system was more than fine anyway. I'll wait to see what's up with the speed issues.

BillClinton
Dec 17, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Yep, I agree - Panther performance has definitely been reduced. :-( Its like Jaquar.

It's defiantly not that slow!! With 10.2.8 It was taking at least two minuets to boot up. With Panther, it takes a little over 26 seconds. Before the update however, It took 16 seconds to go from off to login screen.

rayzor
Dec 17, 2003, 07:28 PM
Can't notice any difference, but if I had to say i would say it is slightly faster.

mac15
Dec 17, 2003, 07:29 PM
can't tell the difference, it did nothing to my system which to me is great! this is a safe update to install

ColoJohnBoy
Dec 17, 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by reiggin

Boooo. I'm still only getting 1.5Mbps on my Comcast connection. Hopefully they'll upgrade the service here soon.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 07:33 PM
Everything seems slower now. Applications take twice as long to startup, the menu bar takes forever to load up, browsing through my hard drive is slower, boot up is slower, changing between folders is hugely slower, etc. I don't understand what is going on.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 07:41 PM
Can someone check what version Print Center is with 10.3.2? I moved my Utilities folder out of my Applications folder and after I updated, OS 10.3.2 made another Utilities folder and added a blank file that is labeled Print Center but it is a non functional blank white alias so I am wondering if it failed to update Print Center since it was located somewhere else than where it was by default.

reckless_0001
Dec 17, 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by rayzor
Can't notice any difference, but if I had to say i would say it is slightly faster.

I agree. Totally snappier. My window zooms are smoother too.

I run a very clean machine though.

kherdin
Dec 17, 2003, 07:43 PM
Hmm these reports of "slowedness" seem to vary, maybe its a problem with only some machines, not all?

P.S.: Am I the only one who noticed NO startup speedup with Panther as opposed to Jaguar? I even timed it, both systems took just over a minute to start on an iMac G4 800mhz.

CrackedButter
Dec 17, 2003, 07:44 PM
WOW!

This is so much better...iTunes for example took like 5-7 seconds before the update... now it took 1 bounce.

This is a GOOD update, but i did have to repair permissions first and give it another reboot.

walexx
Dec 17, 2003, 07:44 PM
I dunno what everyone is going on about. My 15" Albook booted up just as fast as ever and all apps so far work just as fast. I have noticed "preview" is heaps faster than before.

"iphoto" which is sooo damn slow opened with 1/2 a jump, same with "itunes"

Everything is just fine down here down under :)

k.double
Dec 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
two apps titled 'printer setup utility' exist in sytem profile after 10.3.2 update:

/Applications/Utilities/Print Center.app
/Applications/Utilities/Printer Setup Utility.app

both version 3.0

odd.

60sec boot time with 10.3.2, 40sec boot time with 10.3.1

rdowns
Dec 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Is it just me or is OS 10.3.2 really, really slow now? It takes me an extra 8 seconds to boot up and snappiness is even worse than Jaguar was by quite a bit. I repaired permissions and checked my disk just in case and everything should be fine... :(

Very slow reboot. Repaired permissions, it fixed 7 of them. Update must have broken them since I repaired permissions a few days ago.

Java
Dec 17, 2003, 07:48 PM
Just what exactly is more robust printing to PostScript printers? I have never described printing as robust.

liven2
Dec 17, 2003, 07:51 PM
I did find the startup the first time to be slower but after my second reboot it was just as fast as before, if not as faster. I have found most of my apps specially iPhoto and iTunes are way faster. My Internet speeds seem to be faster (comcast user), but I that could be wishful thinking. It is a good upgrade but I need to test the Macs at work since the they not been able to browse the PC network they are on. I hope it fixed it!!

rayzor
check it out

ComputerWizard
Can someone check what version Print Center is with 10.3.2? I moved my Utilities folder out of my Applications folder and after I updated, OS 10.3.2 made another Utilities folder and added a blank file that is labeled Print Center but it is a non functional blank white alias so I am wondering if it failed to update Print Center since it was located somewhere else than where it was by default.
Do you mean printer setup utility? Cause if so, its version 3.0.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the previous post.

BillClinton
Dec 17, 2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by liven2
I did find the startup the first time to be slower but after my second reboot it was just as fast as before, if not as faster. I have found most of my apps specially iPhoto and iTunes are way faster. My Internet speeds seem to be faster (comcast user), but I that could be wishful thinking. It is a good upgrade but I need to test the Macs at work since the they not been able to browse the PC network they are on. I hope it fixed it!!
Just rebooted for the second time and you're right, everything does seem much snappier! This is a great update to an already great product.

ontheverge
Dec 17, 2003, 07:58 PM
No speed problems here on either iBook G3 700 or PowerBook G4 550. Both are clean installs and permissions were repaired after 10.3.2 install.

On my iBook, iTunes launched in 2 dock bounces the first time, 1 dock bounce subsequent times. Other apps seem to launch faster as well.

In Mail, the mailbox drawer now opens smoothly with no lag when window is reopened. There is a noticeable speed improvement when viewing individual mailboxes and e-mails.

I seems like graphic and hard disk performance is improved in 10.3.2. I'm very happy!

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 08:00 PM
I logged in as root to replace the file myself since it couldn't do it normally since "Print Center" is invisible. The only problem now is that I have both "Print Center" and "Printer Setup Utility" listed in Utilities instead of the one and can't figure out out to make it invisible like it should be.

reckless_0001
Dec 17, 2003, 08:00 PM
check it out

it already was that version in 10.3.1 ... jeez!

From Win to Mac
Dec 17, 2003, 08:01 PM
a boot-up is always longer after you update your OS, since the "update" of the OS takes place during said startup.

Boot a second time: it should be back to normal.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 08:02 PM
Bootup is still slower no matter how many times I reboot. It is about 50% slower than 10.3.1.

ctb
Dec 17, 2003, 08:04 PM
check it out

Safari was at 1.1.1 before the Mac OS X 10.3.2 update.

kristin-a
Dec 17, 2003, 08:05 PM
Immediately after upgrading, my fan is on ALL THE TIME! (powerbook g4) I have Temperature Monitor installed. Previously the fan came on around 140, now it's on and my temp is only 116!!! My g/f has a powerbook g4 also and hers kicked off around 116. ?????? Anyone else notice this?

daveL
Dec 17, 2003, 08:09 PM
I've always found the first reboot after an update to take linger than normal. It makes sense to me that there would be some one-time initialization/housekeeping to be done.

I've updated with all the 7D seeds, and I certainly don't think things are slower. If anything, I'd say it's a bit quicker.

SoGood
Dec 17, 2003, 08:09 PM
Definitely a good update after 1 hour of use. Intial boot up was slow but who reboots every day. Everything seemed to be snappier in my play. Maybe it has something to do with the new graphic drivers in this update. I strongly suspect this has something to do with the differing reports on OS performance.

Glial
Dec 17, 2003, 08:14 PM
Speed seems the same to me (g3 800 iBook 384mb ram).

Networking with Windows still seems goofy. I will have to give it more time to tell.

But not any slower for me:D

kungfu
Dec 17, 2003, 08:18 PM
I think the performance has improved on my 12" PB... however, I'm having a problem with the fan turning on and staying on... before the update, it rarely turned on... now it seems to be "stuck".

ZildjianKX
Dec 17, 2003, 08:20 PM
Wow, OS 10.3 doesn't feel like a beta anymore... I can browse the windows LAN okay...

mj_1903
Dec 17, 2003, 08:23 PM
No issues on a PowerBook 15". Speed feels the same (of course, it was just after a reboot). Reboot was relatively normal in terms of time.

As for permissions, no errors except for some of my build folders returning errors, which I can only expect from time to time due to the number of builds I do.

No issues seen... feel free to download.

UNIX X11
Dec 17, 2003, 08:24 PM
my PowerBook is making more noise than usual... and its NOT the fan, its the humming noise thats louder... :-\

a_kim
Dec 17, 2003, 08:28 PM
Updated on my 17 inch (1.33) and my girlfriend's 12 inch (867), and everything seems fine. If it's faster or slower, I haven't been able to tell yet. iPhoto does seem faster to me.

Anybody test out the graphics driver update yet? Some framerate comparisons on games?

Oh, and for those who are interested, PPTP VPN access is still functioning normally. Also, samba sharing seems to be the same as far as the interface is concerned. I'll try out the browsing functionality tomorrow at work because I can't "browse" over VPN.

-Alex

Gymnut
Dec 17, 2003, 08:32 PM
A little hesitant to installing this hearing the numerous complaints in regards to the speed degredation. I've been lucky so far not to encounter any problems with Apple updates in the past maybe I'll chance my luck.

coolbreeze
Dec 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
Is it me, or are the iBook's speakers much louder??? My Volume Logic expired on Dec 15, and I can't seem to pay $20 for it, even though I consider it an essential solution for the iBook's pathetic speakers. It seems Apple has boosted the output level of the speakers...similar to the results I had when VolumeLogic was working. Strange, huh?

Nermal
Dec 17, 2003, 08:40 PM
Doesn't seem to be any slower for me. G4 1.25, 256 megs, 64 meg Radeon 9000 Pro.

dieterd
Dec 17, 2003, 08:47 PM
Wow. Mail now finally moves junk to my junk box automatically. Like it should have months ago. But now it won't actually let me *see* inside the junk box.

Bug fixes: 1
Net result: still unuseable.

hrumph...

Wash!!
Dec 17, 2003, 08:49 PM
It works fine for me on my G4 400 with 1.2gig ram and actually it feels faster:D
can't wait till update my 1.8 G5's and my B/W G3

beatle888
Dec 17, 2003, 08:52 PM
updated my 15 tibook 667.

works like 10.3.1. nothing's changed as far as performance goes. not that i notice anyway.

running an archive and install version of panther....speed is fine.

performand
Dec 17, 2003, 08:55 PM
Works fine with me, no problems so far. Startup is slower (appr. 35 secs with 10.3.1, just over 60 secs now), but performace seems to be the same as before. No permissions to be repaired after update.
One strange thing: The fan went on after rebooting for the first time after the update. This rarely ever happens normally.

iBook G3 900, 640 RAM, 60HD

thogs_cave
Dec 17, 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mac15
can't tell the difference, it did nothing to my system which to me is great! this is a safe update to install

I have to agree - it seems to work just fine on my G5 DP (2.0GHz) and my iBook (G3 900). The G5 came with 10.3, and the iBook was an archive and install upgrade from 10.2.4.

So, it looks pretty safe to me - but, I don't use any weird system hacks on those two machines.

yoman
Dec 17, 2003, 09:05 PM
After update the system did not want to restart. so I manually shut it down (holding power button) and started up again, then the login screen was a TERMINAL SCREEN. Hmm. I tried logging in through there but it didn't let me. Then all of a sudden the normal Login screen showed up. Whew!. I then logged in and repaired some permissions. The repaired permissions were login related. After that no problems. Restarted again just to make sure. And everything is A OK. No speed difference noted by the way. I'll have to look into it more though its only been 6 minutes. :)

Just thought I'd share my story.

Edit: fixed my story flow to make more sense :)

yoman
Dec 17, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by coolbreeze
Is it me, or are the iBook's speakers much louder??? My Volume Logic expired on Dec 15, and I can't seem to pay $20 for it, even though I consider it an essential solution for the iBook's pathetic speakers. It seems Apple has boosted the output level of the speakers...similar to the results I had when VolumeLogic was working. Strange, huh?

I also have noticed a change in the ibook's speaker output. However I have never heard of that Volume logic program. Maybe its just our ears are more sensitive.

physicsnerd
Dec 17, 2003, 09:09 PM
Just updated to 10.3.2 on my 1ghz Tibook. No problems. I did a repair permissions and it found nothing wrong. However, I did a second reboot just for kicks.

My powerbook feels a lot faster. I'm noticing a speed increase in iTunes and Camino. Finder also is more responsive. Boot up times didn't change much, if any. Networking with Windows is so much nicer now. No problems finding my XP box, and browsing my XP box is very smooth and fast. So far it's a great update.

neonart
Dec 17, 2003, 09:10 PM
Fixed Radeon 9800 glitches in Ghost Recon and has improved OS feel. Windows zoom faster and Apps seem to load faster too!
This update appears to have taken the rough edges off 10.3.

Westside guy
Dec 17, 2003, 09:13 PM
... I moved my Utilities folder out of my Applications folder and after I updated, OS 10.3.2 made another Utilities folder and added a blank file that is labeled Print Center but it is a non functional blank white alias so I am wondering if it failed to update Print Center since it was located somewhere else than where it was by default.

As a new-ish Mac user but a long-time Linux user, I have to ask... why would you do this? It seems like you'd be asking for trouble if you intended to mix-and-match 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 stuff.

In any case I upgraded and things seem quite snappy. I'm not seeing any of the slow behavior some are reporting.

bousozoku
Dec 17, 2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by daveL
I've always found the first reboot after an update to take linger than normal. It makes sense to me that there would be some one-time initialization/housekeeping to be done.

Well, that's when they're installing all of those things that are normally busy while the operating system is running. It's no wonder it takes longer.

Things seem great here. No repaired permissions. It's been a while since I restarted, but it could be that the open Finder window took longer to display items and some custom menu things took a while, but overall, it seems somewhat quicker to respond.

There was a problem with Now Up-to-Date and Now Contact menu bar items. Turning them off and back on solved it. Game video performance is much improved.

neoelectronaut
Dec 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
Now, let's see if makes the 10.3 printer drivers that came with it compatible with my printer so I can use those and dump the 10.2.8 drivers I'm forced to use.

Nobs
Dec 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
Anyone notice anything different with Fontbook? I haven't tried it yet.

a_kim
Dec 17, 2003, 09:23 PM
I just noticed that switching between System Preferences is faster. The "fading" effect when switching from viewing all of the preference panes to viewing a specific one was kind of sluggish before. Now it just seems to be a normal speed. While this isn't a huge thing in itself, I'm guessing that if this is sped up, other things will be, too.

-Alex

hmmfe
Was a bit worried after reading some of the earlier posts. But...

Nothing but good news to report. App. launches appear faster on my 1.25 17" iMac. Boot times appear about the same. When I get to work tomorrow will perform upgrade on my PB.

Sorry to hear about the troubles some have had.

Sunrunner
It's too bad we can't get inline updates to replace and restart individual system files, that way we dont need all these system restarts. My uptime gets killed by these updates every month or two....

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 09:24 PM
I tried using my parent's HP AIO printer to see if Print Center works but apparently it is only compatible with 10.1 or 10.2, this is rather disconcerting.

vancenase
Dec 17, 2003, 09:25 PM
is it possible that the screen brightness could increase on a powerbook 17" 1.33GHz since new ATI drivers were supposedly installed? my top brightness setting seems brighter ...

weave
Dec 17, 2003, 09:26 PM
I'm wondering if mail.app handles storing unsigned certs or self-signed CAs better that the current rev. (Not installed it yet myself).

performand
Dec 17, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Nobs
Anyone notice anything different with Fontbook? I haven't tried it yet.
Fontbook is 1.0 (v36) now, what was it before? I don't think anything has changed there...

k.double
Dec 17, 2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by a_kim
I just noticed that switching between System Preferences is faster. The "fading" effect when switching from viewing all of the preference panes to viewing a specific one was kind of sluggish before. Now it just seems to be a normal speed. While this isn't a huge thing in itself, I'm guessing that if this is sped up, other things will be, too.

-Alex

ditto. i noticed this also. after repairing permissions boot time to login prompt dropped 10 seconds to 50. 3rd reboot now i am draining the battery on my pbook to update the batery meter. at first things were slower but now it seems as if 10.3.2 is very good.

still have one odd quirk. the drivers for my hp 6122 network printer on my windows machine will not load. i have to use the generic built in drivers. this works, but it takes 4 times as long to print a document as it would from the windows machine. the printer immediately recognized the queue, but the print speed is extremely sluggish. i had this problem in 10.2 also.

i would definately recommed the 10.3.2 update. i have a 12" powerbook 512 ram 1ghz

Makosuke
Dec 17, 2003, 09:28 PM
Well, it seemed to work well enough on the DP1.0 I just tried it on. No noticable speed changes (complete startup takes 1:20, but it did before, too), didn't fix the drifting text in Camino issue, but in a very quick test the cross platform network here seems to be running more smoothly. A bit slow, but smooth.

Oh, and no non-preexisting permissions issues--just some with the Flash plugin that were probably there before.

I'll hold off upgrading my G5 for a little bit, at least till the combo updater is out (hope there is one).

I wonder if those complaining about app lauch times are just getting confused because they're LAUNCH times instead of RE-LAUNCH times. That is, apps always start much faster the 2nd time, but if you rarely shut your computer down you might forget this. Since you by default did shut it down for the update, you could be seeing the first launches and thinking it's actually slower.

Even my first launches are ok, and 2nd launches are one bounce or less on Safari, Mail, iTunes, BBEdit Lite, QT Player, Sherlock, Word, Terminal, and Address book. Heck, even Acrobat Reader 6 only takes a fraction longer than a bounce to pass the boot screen.

performand
Dec 17, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by a_kim
I just noticed that switching between System Preferences is faster. The "fading" effect when switching from viewing all of the preference panes to viewing a specific one was kind of sluggish before. Now it just seems to be a normal speed.
Yes, I can confirm this. Cool!

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 09:32 PM
Wow, something that is actually faster on 10.3.2, that is incredible how much system preferences has sped up.

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 17, 2003, 09:34 PM
Unfortunately for me (or fortunately if this is a bad update), my Software Update doesn't seem to be able to download anything. This is probably my fault for messing with my system so much, but I'm feeling too lazy to do anything about it.

metfoo
Dec 17, 2003, 09:38 PM
no available in my software update and the kbase article is missing.

Maybe a premature release? Maybe pulled due to problems?

Jawbreaker
Dec 17, 2003, 09:43 PM
Performance on my 12" PBG4/867 seems improved in just about all ways. In fact, everything is so much Snappier that the fan has decided to perpetually provide the sound of its applause.:( On the plus side, deleting the PowerManagement.plist and restarting has calmed it somewhat - the fan now runs all the time at low speed, instead of high.

myndlinksw
Dec 17, 2003, 09:49 PM
No speed problems on my Dual 1Ghz MDD / 768MB RAM ;D.

Expose feels a lot cleaner and fluid than before. Applications are launching quickly too..

Although large window resizes are still slow..

neoelectronaut
Dec 17, 2003, 09:53 PM
Yay!

Well, if nothing else, finally the 10.3 printer drivers work. In addition, I managed to dump the 10.2 ones off.

All is well in mac-land.

kangaroo
Dec 17, 2003, 09:55 PM
'it's a good thing' :cool:

Ling
Dec 17, 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by myndlinksw
Expose feels a lot cleaner and fluid than before. Applications are launching quickly too..

Agreed. Mail and iPhoto are much faster, Expose is smoother, and boot time is about the same.

Also, battery life better by about one hour. I've been on battery for 30 minutes now with 4:00 left. Screen at 1/2 brightness, running Safari, Word, Mail.

iBook 14" 700
384MB

GeeYouEye
Dec 17, 2003, 09:57 PM
danged new ATi drivers half-killed the screen-spanning hack, or at least made it so that the Detect Displays button just flashes the screen, whereas before, it would detect the model (Optiquest Q-51) perfectly, and give appropriate resolution and frequency suggestions. I'll try repairing permissions and restarting. Oh, and the first two reboots took about 2 minutes each! I'll boot with cmnd-v and see what's taking so long.

evoluzione
Dec 17, 2003, 09:58 PM
i wanna know if i can finally use my SGI 1600SW 17" screen. awesome screen and works perfectly with OS 9 and X.2 but i get nada with X.3 :(

this update sounds like it may be worth testing said monitor in a panther mac though..... :)

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 09:59 PM
Has 10.3.2 really been pulled? I hope if they do that they work on the performance problems that some of us are having, I feel as if my computer is running on reduced processor speed when it is in fact set to highest.

Blaaze
Dec 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
I have to agree with those who say expose feels a lot cleaner and fluid.

Also, my start-up time was blazing fast on my ibook 900. hmmm. i was expecting quite the opposite after having read previous posts.

yum..good update.

oh yeah..my screen seems a little brighter and the colors appear more vibrant than before.

ennerseed
Dec 17, 2003, 10:02 PM
When selecting text in Safari, my selection would always start a few characters off. -This is fixed after the update.

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 10:03 PM
My screen seems about the same, perhaps the last mark is a bit brighter. Exposť does seem a lot slicker, though, multiple windows seem to tile in a much more fluid manner than in 10.3.1.

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 10:08 PM
Well, the Documentation link is working now.
Lots of updates!

I am noticing good speed once it's loaded. Speed is normal when logging in from the log in menu.

Has anyone tested iSight? any changes?

mxpiazza
Dec 17, 2003, 10:09 PM
Has 10.3.2 really been pulled? I hope if they do that they work on the performance problems that some of us are having, I feel as if my computer is running on reduced processor speed when it is in fact set to highest.
i just, JUST downloaded it, so from my experience it has not been pulled.

12" rev. B 1ghz powerbook, 768 ram, no problems, except the battery won't go off of the "calculating ... until full", but i'm sure that's a battery update problem and not a 10.3.2 problem.

uv23
Dec 17, 2003, 10:14 PM
Yikes, too many issues. The always-on-fan in particular worries me. I think I'll give this one a week or so to clear up before I introduce my new 12" PB to a potetially-flawed build.

agentmouthwash
Dec 17, 2003, 10:20 PM
that update ruinned my airport connection.
I am connected via Ethernet now.
Anybody else have Airport problems?

It worked perfectly prior to this update.

ThomasJefferson
Dec 17, 2003, 10:22 PM
UGH!
At this rate, 10.4 will be out before I can catch up. I still can't convince myself to drop the cash for 10.3 on my ibook600.

Perhaps since my other mac is running 7.5.3, I'm just following true to form.

Bad habits are hard to break.

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 10:25 PM
No airport problem. I am using an airport extreme base station and extreme card.

Ling
Dec 17, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by agentmouthwash

All is normal here. Connecting through it right now. Also, no fan problems...

Stella
Dec 17, 2003, 10:27 PM
I've noticed that there is more fade in / fade out candy eye.

Two examples I noticed - I didn't notice them in previous 10.3.x

Login Screen: click on user name, I can see the password section fade in, as the view changes.

Also, System Preferences. When you change between Preference Options, you see the current Preference Plain fade out, whilst the new Preference plain fades in.

iPhoto is definitely a tad faster, as is iTunes.

Loading Times of Apps: I have noticed there is a longer pause between the bouncing icon stopping and the application window appearing.

The Bouncy loading Application Icon seems to bounce less - giving the appearance the App has loaded faster.

chickengrease16
Dec 17, 2003, 10:35 PM
my machine took forever to put the menu bar on the screen. but that was the first time booting up, i'll check more when i eventually reboot (but i hate rebooting...). but mounting windows shares and the network browsing works 1000x better.

Gizmotoy
Dec 17, 2003, 10:40 PM
Seems a little bit quicker here. First boot-up was a little slow, but not greatly. Airport/Bluetooth are working fine, in response to the few who asked. Unfortunately, it appears that mixed Network file sharing is still messed up. That was really all I wanted fixed. Guess I'll have to wait awhile longer.

straphound
Dec 17, 2003, 10:40 PM
Everything is good on my 12" rev B PB. The interface seems to be a little snappier (new drivers?) and airport reception has gotten better. Battery life is about the same.

I have noticed the fan, though. I was making a presentation in keynote and listening to iTunes. I closed all those apps and let it sit for a while and the fan still seems to be on. Granted, it is not spinning so fast noisily that you think it is going to lift off and fly away like a helicopter but still something to be concerned with.

pb1212580
Dec 17, 2003, 10:41 PM
for those of you checking out the "eyecandy" noted, you can do the Shift+Click trick to slow it down in System Preferences to see what they did in terms of fade in and out :)

lechonlubber
Dec 17, 2003, 10:43 PM

Same for me, it was working fine before. I'm on a iBook 500 with a standard airport card. Annoying!!!

Linc
Dec 17, 2003, 10:53 PM

Airport is working better for me... before on my 1ghz 12" AlBook it was almost alyways showing 3 bars, even when next to the base, and now i'm getting 4 and a little faster than usual transfer

ComputerWizard
Dec 17, 2003, 10:58 PM
No, the update was not pulled. At least it wasn't completely removed from apple's website. It's still available from the downloads section on their website
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosxupdate_10_3_2.html

sjk
Dec 17, 2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by liven2
I did find the startup the first time to be slower but after my second reboot it was just as fast as before, if not as faster./System/Library/StartupItems/UpdateSettings/UpdateSettings runs once and is removed during the post-update reboot so startup will be slower.

swissmann
Dec 17, 2003, 11:00 PM
Restart 56.87
Repair permission Restart 55.32
G5 Firmware permisssions reset (none) Restart 52.96
G5 Firmware Restart2 54.44
G5 Firmware Restart3 54.88
Photoshop 7 boot 9.33
Photoshop 7 boot 2 4.44
Photoshop 7 boot 3 4.19
Safari boot 3.13
Safari boot 2 0.89
Safari boot 3 0.94
iMovie boot 6.32
iMovie boot 2 1.66
iMovie boot 3 1.25
After 10.3.2 Update
Reboot 1.51.52
Reboot Permissions reset (none) 2 1.34.32
Reboot 3 1.35.44
Photoshop 7 boot 8.63
Photoshop 7 boot 2 4.33
Photoshop 7 boot 3 4.13
Safari boot 0.9
Safari boot 2 0.94
Safari boot 3 0.94
iMovie boot 7.03
iMovie boot 2 1.69
iMovie boot 3 1.21
Reboot 4 1.33.81
Reboot 5 1.35.60

So it looks like after the update reboot is much slower, but everything else about the same. I'm curious to see if it fixed some bugs. I'll post later.

agentmouthwash
Dec 17, 2003, 11:03 PM
because of this update I have to call Apple tomorrow and complain that my airport doesnt work anymore.
this is annoying...

It worked great prior to this update.

I have a 15" 1.25mhz Powerbook

moof
Dec 17, 2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by UNIX X11
my PowerBook is making more noise than usual... and its NOT the fan, its the humming noise thats louder... :-\

There may be two fans on the powerbook g4. One doesn't run as loud as the other. I am definitely experiencing this fan running all the time issue. I hate it! I loved having such a quiet machine and now it's ALWAYS running if I do anything at all. if the machine sits idle (without sleeping), the fan will stop, but the "humming noise" [smaller fan?] is certainly louder.

I hope that it doesn't take apple as long to resolve this fan issue as it did for them to resolve the battery issue (which I don't see any improvement in, by the way - although I just exchanged my old battery that got hosed by the 10.2.8 update for a new one from the apple store - used to get 2 hours max now I get 4.5 - 5 hours).

Gizmotoy
Dec 17, 2003, 11:08 PM
I withdraw my previous statement. After a second reboot, my bluetooth and airport both still work, as before. However, it appears that all mixed Network and filesharing protocols are broken. Clicking on "Network" in the finder brings up a big nothing.

In addition, I can't even click on my iDisk. It's like the icon is still there, but it isn't.

Looks like it needs some work, yet.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 17, 2003, 11:10 PM
Stock 17" alumaBook @ 1.33ghz and everything seems a tad faster with no problems so far.

arn
Dec 17, 2003, 11:13 PM
installed.

no problems at the moment

Dual 800 G4

arn

ITR 81
Dec 17, 2003, 11:13 PM
Well I'm in the process of DLing it now but my problem is I'm still on 56k so I've still got 35MB's to go.

I don't expect any problems since no one with my computer has had issues and I don't mess with my computer that much because I'm still learning all about OS X.

ennerseed
Dec 17, 2003, 11:14 PM
After the 10.3.2 update, the Finder no longer has sound when playing a mp3 or other quicktime in the preview panel.

illumin8
Dec 17, 2003, 11:14 PM
Just kidding...

The update works great on my 15" AlBook 1.25". If anything, it's much faster due to the fade effect on the login screen and on the preferences pane.

Everything works great now. Mail is much quicker. Safari seems to render pages quicker. Hopefully this fixes some of the bugs from Panther and we are finally up to a "non-beta" status. IMO, Panther was released too quickly. They should have stuck with the original December release schedule. Maybe Apple is just moving to the Microsoft release schedule where every Windows release is beta tested by the public, and by service pack 1 it's finally stable.

~Shard~
Dec 17, 2003, 11:19 PM
Any issues with 17" 1.25 GHz G4 iMacs? That's what I'm using, and am still debating whether to get the update or not, as there seems to be a mixed bag of reviews. I'm not dying to move to 10.3.2, as 10.3.1 is working great for me, but if it'll make things better (and not worse!) then I'm all for it!

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 11:20 PM
Well I just did an Xbench to see if the scores were affected at all. I noticed a pretty healthy jump in OpenGL performance with 10.3.2.

Results 122.94
System Info
Xbench Version 1.1.3
System Version 10.3.2 (7D24)
Physical RAM 512 MB
Model PowerBook5,2
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz
L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 512K @ 1.25 GHz
Bus Frequency 167 MHz
Video Card ATY,RV350M10
Drive Type Hitachi HTS548080M9AT00
CPU Test 150.66
GCD Loop 146.64 5.73 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 155.83 563.54 Mflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 153.57 4.46 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 154.84 2.40 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 143.28 5.74 Mops/sec
Thread Test 110.56
Computation 80.33 1.08 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 177.28 2.23 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 133.70
System 148.47
Allocate 791.01 515.97 Kalloc/sec
Fill 168.77 1343.43 MB/sec
Copy 76.82 384.10 MB/sec
Stream 121.61
Copy 121.75 890.03 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 123.80 913.63 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 122.71 785.33 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 118.31 722.89 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 162.64
Line 127.60 3.25 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 153.40 10.79 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 159.35 3.67 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 154.84 1.68 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 273.63 4.46 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 104.42
Spinning Squares 104.42 73.07 frames/sec
User Interface Test 216.29
Elements 216.29 69.57 refresh/sec
Disk Test 74.46
Sequential 91.10
Uncached Write 103.99 43.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 69.13 28.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 134.90 21.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 80.55 32.55 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 62.96
Uncached Write 52.99 0.79 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 66.39 14.97 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 62.59 0.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 73.43 15.11 MB/sec [256K blocks]

coumerelli
Dec 17, 2003, 11:27 PM
Well I just did an Xbench to see if the scores were affected at all. I noticed a pretty healthy jump in OpenGL performance with 10.3.2.

so have you got everything resolved with the printer stuff? I havn't updated yet (running 10.3.1) and just looked in my utilities folder - print center us just an alias to the printer setup utility. So no biggie if you don't have the former.

PM me if you wanna compare - I'm not going to update tonight.

ennerseed
Dec 17, 2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ennerseed
After the 10.3.2 update, the Finder no longer has sound when playing a mp3 or other quicktime in the preview panel.

Scratch that. I guess the Finder saves the audio levels for the preview panel and applies it to all others... Der

Powerbook G5
Dec 17, 2003, 11:33 PM
I hooked it up to my sister's Epson and it worked perfectly, so I think it is resolved. The problem was that my parent's HP All-in-One doesn't have any updated drivers for Panther yet so it didn't work and just gave me a spinning beach ball.

Everything else seems to be resolved, the only two things that seem to be sluggish right now after a few rounds of utilities are bootup times, the menu bar taking a while to build, and when you first go to open your HD, it takes a while to pop up a Finder window and Finder seems to be really sluggish to draw any of the contents of its windows the first time after a clean restart.

mactastic
Dec 17, 2003, 11:38 PM
All seems well here on my TiBook. My wife's iBook is next....

Lz0
Dec 17, 2003, 11:39 PM
At startup the fan on my MDD peaks out but after logging in goes back to normal. I've never heard it before and the temp around here over the lest few days has topped 40C.

c_waddington
Dec 17, 2003, 11:51 PM
It looks like most of the performance improvements are due to better ATI drivers.

Hence, better System Preference performance.

I ran the Halo time demo and I'm getting about 15% better performance at 1280 * 1024.

I wonder what nvidia owners are experiencing?

kimhill
Dec 17, 2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
i wanna know if i can finally use my SGI 1600SW 17" screen. awesome screen and works perfectly with OS 9 and X.2 but i get nada with X.3 :( I've been using my 1600SW (with a Formac card) successfully under Panther by using the terminal hack that Macintouch published:

sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=1"

There's no acceleration (no OS X driver), but the 1600SW works. If you boot from another disk, you need to re-do it. And the first time you do it, you need another monitor connected to the main video port- so you can see what you're doing.

If anyone else has more info on the ongoing SGI 1600SW issue, I'd love to hear...

mrdrumbum
Dec 18, 2003, 12:01 AM
everything is fine for me except that the CDs and DVDs icon is missing in system perferences. anyone else missing their icon?

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 12:01 AM
everything on my Powerbook is faster without a doubt... I am shocked with how fast iPhoto loads now... at least a 1/4 of the time... I've got over 5000 photos...

the visualiser in itunes had a big stuttering problem before the update and now it is perfectly smooth...

with OpenGL turned on, i'd an average of 22 fps, now i get 34 fps... what a fantastic update!

the Preferences fades are quite class...
this has to be the best 10.x.x updates ever.

performance wise anyway

illumin8
Dec 18, 2003, 12:04 AM
One other change I noticed is that on sleep now the white LED on my AlBook is much dimmer. This was anticipated though because I think a lot of people complained about how bright it was. I admit, if I had it next to my bed at night it would have bothered me. Now it is barely noticeable.

Anybody else notice this?

In case my last post sounded too negative, I didn't mean it that way. I just think there are probably too many hardware configs out there for Apple to test in house.

I think it's great that Apple takes so much time and effort to work on the little issues like making an LED the right brightness level. It shows a true "craftsmanship" that is so lacking in many companies nowadays.

Illmatic
Dec 18, 2003, 12:07 AM
After installing the update on my 15" 1.25 Al PB my startup time was increased by 25 seconds which sucks BUT everything else loads and runs faster. I haven't had any fan problems thus far but will re-post if I end up running into some probelms. As of now though i'm willing to give up some load time for a much faster operating experience.

ehmyerson
Dec 18, 2003, 12:09 AM
Panther ruined the 2 sided printing feature of the 7140 xi. Of course, Apple says HP ruined it. HP likewise says it's Apple.

I'm just waiting for them to decide who's going to fix it. Great feature going to waste.

Otherwise a solid update for my pb G4 667.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 12:10 AM
I'll have to check the sleep light later tonight. I have to set my PowerBook facing the wall when I go to bed at night since it is so bright when it pulses to full brightness.

edit: Wow, it is a lot dimmer than before, that's insane. I didn't think something like that could be changed in software.

mrdrumbum
Dec 18, 2003, 12:16 AM
anyone else missing their CDs and DVDs icon in system perfences?

coolbreeze
Dec 18, 2003, 12:19 AM
My sleep light is also dimmer on my iBook. That really is odd that software can change something like that.

The first sleep I did in 10.3.2, it was the normal pace/brightness, but after about 30 seconds of "sleep," the light became dimmer and my iBook took "shorter breaths.":cool:

punter
Dec 18, 2003, 12:38 AM
if they can change the brightness of the led in software I bet they can do all sorts of cool stuff like changing how it flashes!!

where is the hack for that?

Change the pulse rate etc. make it strobe perhaps

Trowaman
Dec 18, 2003, 12:46 AM
BOUT TIME THEY RELEASED THIS UPDATE!!! It is slower to start up now but, hey, it's got more stuff to load. I just finished the install but I'm assuming Panther is now a lot less buggy and if all goes well over the next few days I'll try pushing for my high school to get OS X (yes, they are using 9 and that's all most people think Mac is, it's sad)

coumerelli
Dec 18, 2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by punter
if they can change the brightness of the led in software I bet they can do all sorts of cool stuff like changing how it flashes!!

or 'listen' to iTunes...

anyway, on topic, I think I'm ready to update my powerbook 15" FW800....doesn't sound like too many people are wanting to toss theirs out the door due to this one. Good Job Apple!

dieterd
Dec 18, 2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by punter

they probably store the transistor biasing (brightness) and oscillator frequency in NV ram, which would make it impratical to update quickly, to, say, pulse to an itunes track.

Awimoway
Dec 18, 2003, 12:55 AM
Networking with Windows machines is working a little better now. I can actually get into the other computer rather than some odd alias thing on my computer.

iTunes seems a little sluggish at opening and closing.

Boot up is as fast as ever.

A bunch of Safari files needed to have permissions repaired, but little else did.

jasonbw
Dec 18, 2003, 12:59 AM
pb 12 rev a

first reboot was 2:20, ran repair permissions (there was alot) and restarted. second reboot was about 1:20, 10.3.1 reboots were usually 1:00.

The fan does come on alot more, seems to start at about 125F (previous not less than 140F). I don't mind this too much, as it's keeping the pb temp down before it gets hot.

battery time also started out at 4:00 plus (normally it starts at <2:00 and climbs, now it seems to start high and descend).

UCLAforMAC
Dec 18, 2003, 01:13 AM
TiBook 800 MHz...

So far, so great.

iPhoto's performance is VASTLY improved. Night and day for me.

adamberti
Dec 18, 2003, 01:16 AM
I wonder why, when software update is 'Optimizing', it doesnt just fix permissions while it's at it. Sure it will take a bit longer, but it needs to be done anyways. Why not improve the user experience and do it for us.

tacomancini
Dec 18, 2003, 01:20 AM
But I still wanna check airport on my school's wifi and make sure something isn't up with that. Also iphoto is vastly improved for me too. The dynamic resizing works extremely well on my collection of more than 3400 images. It is pretty great and my system doesn't have quartz extreme. I ran cocktail for permissions and it took pretty long cleaning things up.

El Payo
Dec 18, 2003, 01:25 AM
Even the Apple ones. I can't tell if they're even loading or not, but Date & Time won't show up, ARD, etc., even I specify 'Show in Menu Bar' in the prefs panels.

G5 dual 2.0

bummed

crees!
Dec 18, 2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Xero
hmm... maybe this will fix my Activity Moniter.app not working...

My Activity Monitor did not work as well before. I called up Apple Support and they had me run Disk Utility to repair permissions and that fixed everything. Give that a try and see what it does.

splashman
Dec 18, 2003, 02:34 AM
On my G4 DP 1.25, the boot time more than tripled compared to 10.3.1. I've got four apps set to launch on boot (mail, ichat, stickies, isync), and now they all launch very, very slowly (i.e., stickies icon bounces, then 20 seconds later a note actually opens). 10.3.1 booted and launched everything in about 25 seconds. 10.3.2 takes more than 1.5 minutes. (This is after repairing permissions and rebooting a few times.)

Boot time isn't a big deal, as I only boot once a day when I fire up the system, but it sure doesn't inspire much confidence. And I've lost my quick-boot bragging rights.

As others have noted, iPhoto performance has been greatly improved (2000+ photos, launch is about 6 seconds). Overall, the interface feels a bit snappier, though I can't quantify it. App launches are generally faster (FCP is about 4 seconds faster, Photoshop CS about 6 seconds faster). Don't notice much difference in UT2003.

JohnGillilan
Dec 18, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by UNIX X11

There is so much noise coming out of my 17" TiBook its ridiculous. It is actually bad enough to distract you from working.

JW Pepper
Dec 18, 2003, 02:38 AM
I ran repair permissions before installation and then again after the update. After the update there was nothing to be repaired.

jaredbbauer
Dec 18, 2003, 02:40 AM
I love that the fan is alwyas running it keeps my powerbook at a nice 116 degrees it used to get all the way up to 145 and sometimes higher! It will no longer burn my lap when I am traveling, or typing in bed! This is the best update I have ever recieved from apple! Just think they fixed my battery issues this morning and my heat issues just a few hours later! Way to go Apple!

rfenik
Dec 18, 2003, 02:51 AM
So - I installed this update and now my fan is on, and doesn't turn back off even if it's cold. it's always going to be on....

I don't like that... this thing is like a heat blanket it's great. Now it will never turn off.

AND ITS LOUD! One of the greatest things about this powerbook is that it was so quiet.... now i installed this update and i ruined it. i wish there was a way to turn this update off.

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 02:51 AM
yeah, the fan does come on a lot more now, but I'm glad it does! it keeps the 12-incher so cool now!!!

ehmyerson
Dec 18, 2003, 02:56 AM
My PB G4 667 is (for the FIRST TIME) silent! My fan was ALWAYS going. It made me think my environment was too hot for the thing. Now I have the update and while it doesn't fix the upside down 2 sided printing (the Panther flaw) it does fix the fan. WOW. Wierd. My fan is off... all of yours are on. ???

anodized
Dec 18, 2003, 03:14 AM
Wow, man this update slowed things down a bit. Startup takes forever! :mad:
But it did supposedly fix the fan problem on my Dualie G5....

sparky76
Dec 18, 2003, 03:28 AM
I reverted back to Jaguar on my 12" PB 1GHz, due to Airport problems. I have 2 wireless networks - 1 at home and 1 at work. I have mo problem connecting to both in Jaguar, but Panther required restarts to connect when the network changed (or sometimes when waking from sleep).

Has anyone else experienced this, and does 10.3.2 fix it?

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 03:29 AM
I just started the update, hope this will be a good thing, I did an update install, if something goes out of normal, I have to think about a clean install, crossed fingers... I'll let you know...

yamadataro
Dec 18, 2003, 03:36 AM
I guess it's just me, but the restart process after the usual Software Update install has caused a system crash and made the drive unrecognizable.

I had to do all Disk Utility, Disk Warrior and Norton to get it back on.

Then again, I imagine something's wrong with my system...

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 04:17 AM
:) :( ... Everything OK until now but the fan is starting pretty quick... hey, it became an independent object, System preferences is faster IMO, exposť a bit smoother, apps bouncing time is less than before, but the fan :( , I guess they did the battery update before to help the fan and at the end you will get the same time as before ..... iPhoto is getting better, or is just me? ;)

Good luck and fun ...

ITR 81
Dec 18, 2003, 04:22 AM
Well I finally got it loaded with 56k.
Then I rebooted. Then I fixed permissions(first time since owning this PB for over a yr now). Then I rebooted a second time. I noticed the boot time was the same as before. Everything seems to run smoother it seems. I noticed the sleep light tends to breath less deeply now. All the iApps open quicker. The dock items bounce only twice now. OpenGL Effects in iTunes runs abit faster: 30 compared to 28 fps.

This is on a 15inch TiBook 1GHz.

I can't say anything about the fan because I haven't let it cool down to test it or not. My PB usually runs silent for about an hr then it turns on for the rest of that time I working on it. All and all my PB is 100% quieter then the Pansonic Toughbooks I used in the Army.

snickelfritz
Dec 18, 2003, 04:39 AM
Preview is significantly faster than 10.3.1
Expose might be a little faster. In any event, it's still perfectly smooth.
Finder "Item Info" on HDD icons still does not update in real-time to match the true available space as listed at the bottom of Finder windows.
http://www.dakotacom.net/~byron/backup/hdd_1.jpghttp://www.dakotacom.net/~byron/backup/hdd_2.jpg
Window resizing still sucks in Finder "metal mode", but in "spatial mode" resizing is actually quite smooth.
Not sure if this is better than 10.3.1
I think they 'nixed the subtle blue glow around selected tab elements.
Good.
http://www.dakotacom.net/~byron/backup/glowless.jpg
Window zooming looks smoother.
Is it possible that image clarity could be improved by a software update?
The icons in my Dock look crisper, and colors seem more saturated.
Pass the microdot.

Good update.

[edit]
The monitor color profile is now loading correctly at startup, which explains the improved image quality.
I noticed a distinct color/gamma shift immediately after the desktop loads at startup.
Definitely wasn't doing that before 10.3.2 on my system.

fatbarstard
Dec 18, 2003, 04:58 AM
Just ran in the update to 10.3.2. No problems with restart - may have been quicker.

I did count the number of times the circle thingee went around on the first screen. I got 50 - does that count as trainspotting??

Nothing else to report - system seems a bit faster but hard to tell so soon after doing the update.

No crash, no burn, no knackered permissions. Nothing even!!

Exits stage right... emulating Snagglepuss

svenas1
Dec 18, 2003, 05:25 AM
..one thing it killed (could have been 10.3 - I went from 10.2.8 to 10.3.2 in a matter of hours..) is one of the applescripts I wrote. Anyone else noticed changes in Applescript ?

Sir_Giggles
Dec 18, 2003, 05:29 AM
Updating went smoothly on my G4 867Mhz Quicksilver with 1.5 GB RAM.

Some things I noticed immediately as been repeated in this thread..

1. all apps do launch quicker by a noticeable amount, with major speed increases in Mail, iTunes and iPhoto.

2. switching between tabs in System Preferences is refined and smooth

3. Expose is smoother running on a nVidia GeForce2 MX

4. Boot-up time is a tad slower by about 5-10 seconds, although I have never timed it... just how many times do you guys reboot in a day?

Overall a great update.

strangelogic
Dec 18, 2003, 05:46 AM
I installed, repaired permissions (nothing to repair) and now the system regular goes to the beach spinning it's ball ... Can't force quit applications.
Oh - I also had to 'mess with it' to get it to prompt me to transfer my keychain items - Until I forced that (acted like I wanted a different network connection then went back to my original airport network) I could not use my airport network.
Had no problems with the TI-Book though - very happy with the upgrade there.
Is the G5 build supposed to have the same number?

lucab1982
Dec 18, 2003, 06:11 AM
Im experiencing no problems at at all. Booted up fine and fast, and working like a dream, my fan isn't on all the time.

Running like a dream...:D

stingerman
Dec 18, 2003, 06:53 AM
Upgraded and GUI is faster and smoother. Sine I hardly ever reboot, don't really know if bootup time is slower or faster and really don't care. The only time I restart is after an update that requires it. Keep in mind that after reboot your apps need to be re-cached, so after a days use, your launch times will go back to normal if not faster. Of course this also depends on our memory configuration. If your system can handle it, make sure you got a minimum of 512MB, OS X will use to improve your performance as it caches more of your most often used files. Notebook users will also benefit from longer battery life and less heat as the Hard drive will be accessed less frequently.

My configuration currently is:

PowerMac G4 500 AGP with Radeon 8500 and 512MB RAM.

Please post your configurations along with your comments to help all of us understand your systems envelop.

weave
Dec 18, 2003, 07:11 AM
I'm concerned about the various reports of problems with Airport cards. Is this consistent, or are there others with these cards that aren't having the same problems?

uv23
Dec 18, 2003, 07:24 AM
Can those of you with 12" PowerBooks that have constant fan activity after installing 10.3.2 please report with a post that says whether you are Rev A or B, and if possible use temeperature monitor to determine what temp the fan is coming on? Cheers.

Malic
Dec 18, 2003, 07:24 AM
My "LAIN" is an iMac DV - 500Mhz G3/1G-RAM/WD-80GB-8M Cache machine. I checked it out (apps off) with XBench. I went from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 and went from 48.58 to 50.74 - 2+ full points! 4.25% overall improvement! OpenGL went from 41.50 frames/sec to 44.21 frames/sec! Nice!

Heck, if 10.3.x updates each give me ~5% more each time, by 10.3.5, things could be VERY nice! :D

slavey
Dec 18, 2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
UGH!
At this rate, 10.4 will be out before I can catch up. I still can't convince myself to drop the cash for 10.3 on my ibook600.

Perhaps since my other mac is running 7.5.3, I'm just following true to form.

Bad habits are hard to break.

How's that Model T of your holding up driving on the freeway? ;)

vulturecentral
Dec 18, 2003, 07:30 AM
Add another Rev. A to the list of machines hit by this.

I removed Battery Update 1.0 and it made no difference, so it's definitely a 10.3.2 glitch.

Before, I'd have to be really thrashing the hard drive to get the fan to come on now it's on at a v. low temperature.

Tony @ The Register

rog
Dec 18, 2003, 07:30 AM
No airport or slowdown problems here!

One thing that seems new, or maybe I just never noticed it in 10.3 or 10.3.1. If I close the system preferences window, it actually quits the program rather than leave it running with no window open. I often do this but want to keep it running. So I find this new behavior annoying.

Finiksa
Dec 18, 2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by rog
One thing that seems new, or maybe I just never noticed it in 10.3 or 10.3.1. If I close the system preferences window, it actually quits the program rather than leave it running with no window open.

Been doing this since 10.3

I hate it!

The Grimace
Dec 18, 2003, 07:45 AM
Just updated my unsupported Wallstreet PB (thank you OWC and XPostFacto), and it seems to be fine. Not sure about speed-ups, but I don't think it has slowed down at all.

Gonna update our G3 iMac DV as well. Hopefully it'll fix the SERIOUS memory leak that appeared with 10.3.0 (the HDD will fill with page-outs that aren't released until reboot).

Of course, your mileage may vary.

[edit] Of note, after reboot Finder opened to the 'automount' folder, which is usually hidden.

(tig)

Nicky G
Dec 18, 2003, 08:26 AM
With much happiness I can report that my G4 450 Sawtooth now works properly with my OEM NVIDIA GeForce4MX (purchased through OWC). OpenGL is finally back, Quartz Extreme is back, and graphics performance is EXCELLENT overall.

Freakin' YAY! :-)

To people with problems after an update like this -- do you do any troubleshooting at all, or just freak out immediately? There are a number of decent KB articles about troubleshooting OS X issues. I would recommend going through those steps at the very least, before worrying your heads off that the update really broke something in a bad way.

Try resetting PRAM.
Try reset-nvram from Open Firmware.
Try resetting your PMU (kb article 14449).
Try booting with SHIFT down if you have boot problems.
Try Disk First Aid (repair Disk, and Disk Permissions).
Try logging in as a new user, if that solves the problem you can be pretty sure it's a corrupt file in your original user's Library folder (often the culprit is a corrupt .plist file in ~/Library/Preferences).
If you really can't handle this stuff, consider calling AppleCare.

Photorun
Dec 18, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by slavey
How's that Model T of your holding up driving on the freeway? ;)

I... I couldn't stop laughing! Brilliant!

Anyhoo I'm wondering if some of these people are having issues not with 10.3.2 per se but are they updating other things from the Software Update panel as well during their installs like Firmware or security and then blaming it on 10.3.2. Just thinking aloud here. Especially the guy with the G5 DP machine, I have the same one, no problems. It doesn't seem faster mind you but the machine is already so snappy as it is it's hard to notice, like putting 93 octane gas in a Ferrari after running it on 91 and expecting top end gains, or a Model T.

agentmouthwash
Dec 18, 2003, 08:39 AM
I recently posted that the update Killed my Airport, but I somehow managed to fix it by playing around with the settings in the Networking panel.

My Airport worked great prior to this update- but it must of changed my Airport system preferences.

If anybody has Airport problems after this update, go into your NETWORK panel and select AIRPORT TCP/IP tab and press the APPLY NOW tab on the bottom. This worked for me.

Good luck!

jayscheuerle
Dec 18, 2003, 08:51 AM
Any word on the ATI support including all the Apple-supplied, BTO, 2nd monitor XClaim 3D Pro cards?

Left in the dust?

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 08:59 AM
I ran all the usual maintenance commands and it improved the response times a bit.....I'm on a B&W tower :rolleyes:
Type in one command enter password allow to run then move on to the next. After prebinding restart computer.

cron scripts

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

repair permissions with terminal

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Updating the Prebinding

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

KBFinFan
Dec 18, 2003, 09:03 AM
Hey all,

Looks like this a great update for most... but I was just nervous about the fan always being on with certain Powerbooks. I enjoy the quiteness of my laptop and would like it to continue.

Chime in please...

Running a 15" 1.25Ghz AlBook

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by uv23
Can those of you with 12" PowerBooks that have constant fan activity after installing 10.3.2 please report with a post that says whether you are Rev A or B, and if possible use temeperature monitor to determine what temp the fan is coming on? Cheers.

Fan is working more than before... :(

Maybe I'll reset the PMU or just reboot again...

edStar
Dec 18, 2003, 09:31 AM
The reboot was a little slower, but everything else is sooo much quicker. This is awesome - itunes one bounce, safari one bounce and everything is so smooth and responsive too.

I haven't got the windows networking going yet, but if it is all fixed with this update I'll be having one hell of a happy xmas.

dloomer
Dec 18, 2003, 09:37 AM
These were my five major gripes with Panther. I had reported them all to Apple and have seen others complain about the same things; Apple has fixed one of the five in this update:

1 - Browsing the Win2K network always worked fine for me, but after waking my PB from sleep the volumes were no longer available. Worse, I couldn't manually re-connect to the server -- I had to wait until I had (unsuccessfully) browsed through all of the unavailable volumes and Panther decided it was time to re-connect. NOT FIXED.

2 - No way to mount Win2k volumes (or create shortcuts) anywhere. The only thing I could ever figure out was that I could drag one of the volumes to the Finder toolbar. However, same as above, once I put the PB to sleep and then woke it up, the shortcut was no longer available. NOT FIXED (at least the Finder toolbar thing -- I haven't messed around too much with mounting yet).

3 - Every time I re-connect to my server (i.e., way too many times) I enter my username and password and check "save to keychain." The "save to keychain" I do foolishly thinking maybe this one time it will actually do something -- but it never does. I always have to re-enter my username and password. If there is some technical reason why Win2k passwords cannot be saved in the keychain, then the checkbox should not be there. NOT FIXED (this has been a problem since Jaguar).

4 - Mail -- extra IMAP inbox folder appears in Mailboxes pane after every other launch. Just an annoyance, but FINALLY FIXED (this had also been a problem since 10.1).

5 - Mail -- Sending IMAP messages is extremely slow for me. Sending a small text-only message takes 5-10 seconds. Much slower than Jaguar. NOT FIXED

As far as the Win2K thing goes, it would be much too much to say it's unusable (and for me it was never unusable), but if I had written something like that and it was still in this state after the 10.3.2 update, I wouldn't be too particularly proud of my accomplishment, either. We all know Apple can do a hell of a lot better.

VAG
Dec 18, 2003, 09:52 AM
Here is the link to Update if you want to download it from the PC as I do and then after burning it to a CD for my iBook with the rest of Updates i keep an archive if ever I need to reinstall the OS :)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120288

And here are the latest Updates including Battery update for iBooks and Powerbooks:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75150

LaterZzz

neoelectronaut
Dec 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
I ran all the usual maintenance commands and it improved the response times a bit.....I'm on a B&W tower :rolleyes:
Type in one command enter password allow to run then move on to the next. After prebinding restart computer.

cron scripts

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

repair permissions with terminal

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Updating the Prebinding

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

I actually did this on the 14th of this month...now that I've installed 10.3.2, should I rerun these procedures?

dviant
Dec 18, 2003, 10:02 AM
Installed and everything seems fine here, normal startup time, apps launch as fast or faster... and my most favorite thing... IT FIXED THE TEXT PREVIEW CORRUPTION ISSUE IN FLASH MX!! So far seems like a good upate! I'll post back if I encounter issues.

Quicksilver DP800 GF2MX

Gizmotoy
Dec 18, 2003, 10:04 AM
To those that asked:

My 12" Revision B PowerBook's fan seems to function exactly as it had before. I am definately not experiencing the "always on" others are describing. It may be coming on more often, but if it has I haven't been able to tell.

I just wished they fixed they SMB networking :(

JD!
Dec 18, 2003, 10:09 AM
So far so good. Slow reboot first time out....1 minute 15 seconds, 45 seconds after after a permissions repair and restart. Some apps a little snappier. No fan problems (fingers crossed) No airport issues. Must be one of the lucky ones!

geoffrevB
Dec 18, 2003, 10:27 AM
I think some of you may have some seriously overactive imaginations. I've noticed no change in the behaviour of my 12" PB Rev B: It still runs my bath, clears the table after meals and serves me and my guests drinks without having to be asked.

skymaXimus
Dec 18, 2003, 10:50 AM
Reading everyone's posts about how their fans on their PowerBooks were always on, I thought they were overreacting .... until right now, when my fan won't shut off!
There has got to be a fix for this. I mean, yah its nice and cool now, but I was used to it being hot and quite. I think i would take hot and quite vs cold and loud ... at least for these winter months.

joker2
Dec 18, 2003, 10:58 AM
No changes in fan noise or frequency here. Reboot time is a second or two longer, but I still look away and look back and it's up :)

niall2
Dec 18, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by uv23

Fan on above 125 F. Reset PM and still the same. Very annoying (would be a nice power management feature for the 12", run cool or run quiet).

MazaGRANDEman
Dec 18, 2003, 11:42 AM
Hey all,

Installed it and anything works fine and little bit faster than before the update.
I have had problems with ťxpose and with moving files on the desktop before, but this great update fixes things up.

This update is Apple's christmas present for me. :D

titaniumducky
Dec 18, 2003, 11:45 AM
One thing that seems new, or maybe I just never noticed it in 10.3 or 10.3.1. If I close the system preferences window, it actually quits the program rather than leave it running with no window open.

Been doing this since 10.3

I hate it!

I was looking in the com.apple.dock.plist file and I noticed an item called "Persistant Apps."

If you go in here, System Preferences is one of them. I'm assuming these are the apps that stay in the dock.

There may be an option there to change this.

Personally I love this new behavior!

Is it safe for me to update to 10.3.2? Should I wait a little longer?

pimentoLoaf
Dec 18, 2003, 12:01 PM
Don't understand the fan problems people are having. Mine stays on less than it used to, which was often due to either SETI or Folding running continuously.

If you have a metal powerBook, buy a rubber-coated dishrack for underneath. It offers good support whilst providing maximum airflow 'round the bottom.

fazel
Dec 18, 2003, 12:07 PM
I downloaded the update last night. Seems to be about the same speed wise once started. However, it has taken much longer to boot up since the update. I've rebooted several times since.

griz
Dec 18, 2003, 12:26 PM
I updated last night and all seems fine. I can't tell you if it is faster because I have only had my new iBook G4 now for a week.
Can anyone tell me what the battery update has changed? Is a battery calibration required to see any difference? I am doing one anyway to see if it changes anything. Just got finished with the full recharge.

Ugimom
Dec 18, 2003, 12:34 PM
Has anybody tried VPC emulated printing with this update yet? The KB list of 10.3.2 enhancements includes: "Improves compatibility for Microsoft Virtual PC 6.1's emulated printing features." So does it work now?

I'd test and try this myself, but I've kept my work machine on Jaguar just because of the VPC printing hassle. And didn't think to grab the Powerbook (with Panther) when I left home this morning...

uv23
Dec 18, 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by niall2
Fan on above 125 F. Reset PM and still the same. Very annoying (would be a nice power management feature for the 12", run cool or run quiet).
Ha, I'd call you lucky! In my brand new Rev B the fan turns on at only ~46 degrees C (115F) and doesn't tun off again until it goes to sleep. This is with 10.3.1.

jcshas
Dec 18, 2003, 12:37 PM
Ran the 10.3.2 update on my iBook g3 800, and just about everything seems to lag: restarts, launching apps, finder, etc. At first I thought it was all a state of mind, but I havenít seen this much of the spinning beach ball since the days of running Jag on my iBook. Any of the noticeable performance I gained after installing Panther (clean install) seems to be gone! I repaired permissions, updated the prebinding, ran the cron scripts, still seesms sloooooow. Guess Iíll give it a couple of days, but so far this really bites. Think I'll hold off installing on my powermac g4.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 12:42 PM
I reset NVRAM and PRAM but I cannot figure out how to go about resetting the PMU with the new PowerBooks and Apple seems to not have updated articles for the new 15" PowerBook. Oddly enough, though, none of those seemed to help at all, so after I gave up and installed the QT 6.5 update, things suddenly got quite a bit faster. Isn't that odd or what? I'm not complaining, but it took me by surprise.

titaniumducky
Dec 18, 2003, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by jcshas

Ran the 10.3.2 update on my iBook g3 800, and just about everything seems to lag: restarts, launching apps, finder, etc. At first I thought it was all a state of mind, but I havenít seen this much of the spinning beach ball since the days of running Jag on my iBook. Any of the noticeable performance I gained after installing Panther (clean install) seems to be gone! I repaired permissions, updated the prebinding, ran the cron scripts, still seesms sloooooow. Guess Iíll give it a couple of days, but so far this really bites. Think I'll hold off installing on my powermac g4.

Try running a disk repair by using your install disk or by running fsck -y -f.

Ted Witcher
Dec 18, 2003, 12:48 PM
Same problems for me -- boot-up is slower, Mail is still slow. I still get the beachball before it opens. Other apps appear about the same, maybe a hair or two faster.

pb1212580
Dec 18, 2003, 12:50 PM
I'd just call apple up! :) something like...

apple+option+control (maybe 2 of the last three)+p+m+ (and perhaps Power as well)

They usually suggest letting it boot (chimes) 3+ times.

Beats me...just call them up! :)

I reset NVRAM and PRAM but I cannot figure out how to go about resetting the PMU with the new PowerBooks and Apple seems to not have updated articles for the new 15" PowerBook. Oddly enough, though, none of those seemed to help at all, so after I gave up and installed the QT 6.5 update, things suddenly got quite a bit faster. Isn't that odd or what? I'm not complaining, but it took me by surprise.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 01:01 PM
My PowerBook G3 was so much easier, I just had to push a button on the back to reset it.

illumin8
Dec 18, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by illumin8
One other change I noticed is that on sleep now the white LED on my AlBook is much dimmer.
I think I was wrong about this one. I was calibrating my battery after the battery update and when it went to sleep automatically, the LED was much dimmer. Ever since then, the LED has been bright again. Maybe it was just dim to conservere battery power while sleeping when the battery is almost dead...

mxpiazza
Dec 18, 2003, 01:12 PM
this is probably more of a battery update type thing to note, but i did a recalibration just to make sure of the battery update, and my battery is charging a ton faster than it used to.

rev. b 1ghz 12" pb

plastree
Dec 18, 2003, 01:13 PM
Flash performance is noticeably improved, especially in Safari. Woot!

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by illumin8
I think I was wrong about this one. I was calibrating my battery after the battery update and when it went to sleep automatically, the LED was much dimmer. Ever since then, the LED has been bright again. Maybe it was just dim to conservere battery power while sleeping when the battery is almost dead...

I don't know, my sleep light did seem dimmer all of last night even after the battery had been fully charged and the AC was plugged in.

flippy
Dec 18, 2003, 01:48 PM
>Has anybody tried VPC emulated >printing with this update yet? The KB >list of 10.3.2 enhancements includes: >"Improves compatibility for Microsoft >Virtual PC 6.1's emulated printing >features." So does it work now?

I can confirm that emulated printing to HP LaserJet 4MPlus works perfectly using VPC 6.1 and 10.3.2.

I didn't even try it under 10.3 or 10.3.1 because I had heard it wouldn't work and I hadn't needed to use it.

tduality
Dec 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
Nice update for me, too. Everything's nice and smooth. I'm glad I've got a Mac. :D

niall2
Dec 18, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by niall2

Just called apple. Its officially a FEATURE. They are dealing with the heat this way and are trying to save your battery by keeping it cool.

The temp is apparently set in the open firmware. Anyone know how to change it?

Edot
Dec 18, 2003, 02:42 PM
This update did seem to make logging in and startup slower, however, everything is a lot smoother. I am on an eMac 700. Did they update the nVidia drivers? Games seem like they are getting more FPS and the OS eye-candy is much much smoother.

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
They updated by nVidia and ATi graphics drivers, so performance should be improved for everyone. I also have noticed a drastic increased in OpenGL performance and OS X animations seem much more liquid than before. I also had this screen saver that has insanely high graphics settings and I went from 5-6 fps to about 20 fps with it, which is a vast increase in OpenGL.

uv23
Dec 18, 2003, 03:00 PM
can't.. resist... any ... longer
must.. install update aiiyyyeeee

lets hope that the fan issue is Rev a only (as I suspect) :)

Powerbook G5
Dec 18, 2003, 03:12 PM
It must be, I have never once heard the fan come on with my PowerBook and I've owned it since a week after the initial release in Paris.

titaniumducky
Dec 18, 2003, 03:23 PM
I second uv23

uv23
Dec 18, 2003, 03:29 PM
Well so far so good except for one glaring issue: networking looks to be pooched. With 10.3.1 I could see all of the machines on my local windows networks at work and now I can barely see any of them. Lets see if a permissions repair and a restart (the only two things I know how to do, as a switcher newbie) fixes things.

hulugu
Dec 18, 2003, 03:46 PM
I've run the updates and everything is working quite well, networking is still good, everything is working as smoothly and and fast as with 10.3.1.
How many of the people who are having problems now had problems with either 10.2.8 or with the first interation of 10.3? Maybe there's a correlation there, some program or particular set that makes all of this stuff wonky. I notice many of the same people who posted here also had problems with 10.2.8.

sjk
Dec 18, 2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by fazel
I downloaded the update last night. Seems to be about the same speed wise once started. However, it has taken much longer to boot up since the update. I've rebooted several times since. 10.3.2 always takes about three times longer to reboot than 10.3.1 on my iBook 600, not just the expected one-time slow reboot right after upgrading. This is unfortunate because now it takes even longer than Jaguar to reboot. With a verbose (command-V) reboot there's maybe a 30 second delay between the last console output and when loginwindow appears, awaiting input. Still haven't quite figured out why there's such a dramatic difference now.

Ambrose Chapel
Dec 18, 2003, 06:22 PM
this "feature" of the always-on fan, is this limited to 12" AlBooks or are older TiBook owners experiencing the same thing?

Lancetx
Dec 18, 2003, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by niall2
[B]Just called apple. Its officially a FEATURE. They are dealing with the heat this way and are trying to save your battery by keeping it cool.

Well, if that's true then bravo Apple! That sounds more like a fix than a problem to us. My girlfriend just got hers from Amazon a few days ago and it gets very hot after only 30 minutes or so of use. We'd trade having the fan run at all times anyday over the way it is now where you can literally fry an egg on the left side wrist rest area. It gets way too hot to set on your lap and hopefully this will fix that.

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2003, 07:39 PM
I've noticed two new issues since updating last night:

screen had 3 colourful blocks about 70 percent across the screen to the right--two had single letters and since vanished

screen had dimmed without being set to do that but this later went away

This one still happens:

Residue from desktop file names

macnews
Dec 19, 2003, 12:57 AM
I have to say I am dissappointed in this update. I did wait and see some of the posting on here. After about 150 posts, though it seemed like some had no problems. I do run a clean system. Normally, in the past I have fallen in the "no problems" camp. Guess I got caught this time. Both my 17" imac and my new 17" powerbook both have increased start times by 50%. This is very frustrating on my 3 day old powerbook which would start up in just 50 seconds.

I don't notice any improvement in other apps starting on the powerbook, but did notice other apps take longer on my imac - including iphoto which I had hoped would be one app that improved. Since I don't re-start much I could live with longer start-up times if I made it up in application start-up times.

I hope Apple looks in to this. It was nice to get some speed improvement when I switched from Jag to Panther.

brutus
Dec 19, 2003, 01:06 AM
I installed the update on my new 1 ghz pb and it is running great. no speed problems. everythings is even runnig a bit faster and snappier.

And graphics are much faster. army ops is running great now!

vulturecentral
Dec 19, 2003, 04:47 AM
Downloaded TM, and have been running it for a while now.

Fan cuts in at 125.2F on a temperature rise, but doesn't cut out at that temp. when cooling. Goes off somewhere around 117, but I usually get fed up and put the PB (rev. a, 12in) to sleep beforethen.

Got to get a fix for this...

Tony @ The Register

biaachmonkie
Dec 19, 2003, 06:53 AM
Ok, I'm ready to install 10.3.2, so I repair permissions, install, reboot, and BAM! Flashing network icon, and no boot... This being the first quirk I've had with this system (my first mac ever) I was thrown, but it seemed harmless enough, so I figured it mis-read or corrupted a boot preference, so I do the zap the pram, and it boots fine and everything is good... just odd...

Now on to the main thing I was looking for with this update... the ATI graphics driver for my PowerBook G4 (1Ghz TiBook, radeon 9000 64MB)...

I've been getting graphics glitches in games ever since 10.2.4, and its still not fixed !!! I'd like to play some games, but the graphics suck, I'm not the only this happens to and it doesn't happen in 10.2.3 only 10.2.4 and up, so its not hardware.

See...
http://www.biaachmonkie.com/pbgraphicsglitches

There are examples of how this affects game play...

simply258
Dec 19, 2003, 07:44 AM
for those who still have a problem with sharing on a network, i had this problem but i managed to fix it by doing the following:

1. Open Directory Access (in Applications/Utilities).
2. If necessary, click the lock icon and type the name and password for an administrator user on your computer.
3. Double-click SMB in the list and type the workgroup name in the dialog, then click OK.

Can someone with this problem please let me know if it has any effect ?

Thanks

brutus
Dec 19, 2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the network hint. Will try it when im bach home!

KBFinFan
Dec 19, 2003, 08:30 AM
So is the always on fan FEATURE seem to be a Rev A 12" PB problem? Any 15"-ers having this feature, or 17"-ers?

Still waiting to update..

Powerbook G5
Dec 19, 2003, 09:34 AM
The fan still hasn't once turned on with my 15" PowerBook so it might just be isolated to the 12" models.

brutus
Dec 19, 2003, 09:58 AM
not for all!

Mine did not turn on yet (new pb12 1ghz)...

uv23
Dec 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Well interesting results over the last couple of days. I initially had networking problems with 10.3.2, but today I started up finder and not only did all available networks populate really fast, but I can see all machines again! Interesting. Could it have anything to do with upgrading quicktime after the fact? It certainly shouldn't. I'm just happy everything is working again.

As far as performance goes, expose does seem more fluid. Particularly the show desktop feature. Everything else seems fine. I ran xbench and got 99-100 with 10.3.2 installed, whereas I was getting 89-90 with 10.3.1 so that's gotta be a good thing.

Powerbook G5
Dec 19, 2003, 10:39 AM
I've ran Xbench three times since upgrading and my highest score was 127.8, which is insanely high for a measly 1.25 GHz PowerBook, but when you check the results, just about all of the graphics benches seem to turn out a good 5-10 points higher than 10.3.1 ever yielded.

encro
Dec 19, 2003, 11:33 AM
Knowledge Base 10.3.2 Document (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25652)

For those having problems or people interested in the smaller things that have been fixed in 10.3.2

iPhoto is most probably faster due to the improvements in the Cocoa frameworks. This should be the same with every app as there have also been improvements to the Carbon frameworks as well.

For those complaining about boot time, why bother shutting down?

Its still a fast loading system when compared to XP-SP1 with Norton AntiVirus installed so whats it matter if it takes a little longer. Have a Coffee :)

macnews
Dec 19, 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by encro
Knowledge Base 10.3.2 Document (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25652)

For those having problems or people interested in the smaller things that have been fixed in 10.3.2

iPhoto is most probably faster due to the improvements in the Cocoa frameworks. This should be the same with every app as there have also been improvements to the Carbon frameworks as well.

For those complaining about boot time, why bother shutting down?

Its still a fast loading system when compared to XP-SP1 with Norton AntiVirus installed so whats it matter if it takes a little longer. Have a Coffee :)

Being one of those people that bitched about start up times, I take exception to your "have a coffee" view on it. As I said in my post, for my iMac, I don't need to reboot much thanks to the stability of OS X - so your point is valid. But, on my brand new 17" powerbook I start up at least once a day - sometimes more depending on use and battery life. It is also a very clean system - I haven't installed anything other than Camino and 512MB of ram (total of 1GB). I find it frustrating a new laptop went from a 50-53 second startup to 1 minute 35-40 second startup. This is just not right. You would think Apple tested this update on a machine just like this and fixed it or at least noticed the problem. I could still live with it if the iapps worked faster, which was what I was hoping, and of course they don't. To be fair, I was aware this was a possibility based on the posts to macrumors and other sites. Doesn't stop me from being dissappointed and wishing updates would really speed things and throughly tested. There was an article on think secret a few days before 10.3.2 was released saying Apple wasn't asking for feedback indicating (to think secret) they were going for a quick release. They should have taken a little more time and fixed the speed issue IMHO.

razorme
Dec 19, 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by macnews
But, on my brand new 17" powerbook I start up at least once a day - sometimes more depending on use and battery life.

I don't restart my iBook except for Apple updates - went for 4 months once. Is there a reason you need to restart the 17" every day?

bousozoku
Dec 19, 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by macnews
I have to say I am dissappointed in this update. I did wait and see some of the posting on here. After about 150 posts, though it seemed like some had no problems. I do run a clean system. Normally, in the past I have fallen in the "no problems" camp. Guess I got caught this time. Both my 17" imac and my new 17" powerbook both have increased start times by 50%. This is very frustrating on my 3 day old powerbook which would start up in just 50 seconds.

I don't notice any improvement in other apps starting on the powerbook, but did notice other apps take longer on my imac - including iphoto which I had hoped would be one app that improved. Since I don't re-start much I could live with longer start-up times if I made it up in application start-up times.

I hope Apple looks in to this. It was nice to get some speed improvement when I switched from Jag to Panther.

Did you re-boot a second time after the forced re-boot to install the various system software?

Also, did you repair permissions?

nteragator
Dec 19, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
LOOP: MOVE #$01, D0
CMP #0, D0
BNE LOOP

FYI, moves to a data register in the 68K will update the zero flag (and negative flag, too) automatically, so the CMP #0,D0 is redundant.

So by chucking that one line you'll speed up that infinite loop over 27%! What you do with that savings is up to you, of course.

sjk
Dec 19, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by razorme
I don't restart my iBook except for Apple updates - went for 4 months once. Is there a reason you need to restart the 17" every day? One reason I reboot my iBook 600 is to clean up swapfiles in /var/vm. Typically two remain after logout but at that point my working environment is gone anyway so I usually do a full reboot for a fresh start. Sometimes killing the right processes convinces dynamic_pager to remove swapfiles but so far that hasn't worked as well on Panther as it did on Jaguar.

OS X is memory-hungry and I'm looking forward to having a system that supports more than 640MB.

bousozoku
Dec 19, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by nteragator
FYI, moves to a data register in the 68K will update the zero flag (and negative flag, too) automatically, so the CMP #0,D0 is redundant.

So by chucking that one line you'll speed up that infinite loop over 27%! What you do with that savings is up to you, of course.

Well, it didn't work that way on the 6502 and, I believe, the 65816, so I left it with the discrete line.

Thanks for the information, though. I'll have to tap your knowledge on PowerPC assembly later, as I move up in rank. :D

Maybe, if Apple move 27 percent faster, then my 1 infinite loop will, as well.

sjk
Dec 19, 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by simply258
for those who still have a problem with sharing on a network, i had this problem but i managed to fix it by doing the following:

[...]

Can someone with this problem please let me know if it has any effect ?I've set the workgroup but still can't browse my wife's PC from my iBook so I have to use Connect to Server from Finder. Do I need a WINS server, too? Or maybe something in the Windows built-in firewall needs tweaking... I'll try temporarily disabling that later.

stcanard
Dec 19, 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Well, it didn't work that way on the 6502 and, I believe, the 65816, so I left it with the discrete line.

Hmm, I didn't think the 6502 allowed direct comparisons between memory locations and constants. Didn't we always have to go through the accumlator or X/Y?

I must admit my 6502 assembly is a bit rusty though.

Loop:
LDA #$00 (A9 00)
BNE Loop (?? Don't remember BNE's code)

Should work and be even faster without the memory access!

splashman
Dec 19, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by stcanard
Hmm, I didn't think the 6502 allowed direct comparisons between memory locations and constants. Didn't we always have to go through the accumlator or X/Y?

I must admit my 6502 assembly is a bit rusty though.

Loop:
LDA #$00 (A9 00)
BNE Loop (?? Don't remember BNE's code)

Should work and be even faster without the memory access!

You're not rusty. No direct comparisons were possible.

Ah, the memories. I did a lot of hand-coding on my Apple ][ before assemblers came along. Big Mac seemed like an incredible innovation at the time, but compared to modern tools, it's a stone axe. I guess that dates me . . .