PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: iDisk File Sharing feature coming soon

Pooshka
Jul 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.vulomedia.com/images/7554920080714_0302.png
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/idisk.html

dukishdary
Jul 12, 2008, 02:48 PM
yea to me this was one of the most exciting features. if anyone knows anything about this feature or the lack there of in the current rendition of mobileme please post :)

WilliamG
Jul 12, 2008, 02:52 PM
Is this the one where you can send people a link to download from your site? That was awesome...

Pooshka
Jul 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
Is this the one where you can send people a link to download from your site? That was awesome...
that's it

i think the reason why the share button is not there yet is because apple want to stabilise their servers first, after all that mobileme launch snafu and before they let people start sharing gigs of files like crazy:rolleyes:

tivoboy
Jul 12, 2008, 03:45 PM
This is in the VIDEO of mobileme, so I am sure it will be coming back and even easier to use.

ahmedrah
Jul 12, 2008, 04:30 PM
My idisk is only showing 10 gig available...has anyone's updated to 20 yet?

one3
Jul 12, 2008, 04:39 PM
I think by default MobileMe allocates 10GB to iDisk and 10GB to Mail ... just go into your ACCOUNT // STORAGE SETTINGS section of MobileMe to change those settings.

rdjl27
Jul 13, 2008, 06:26 AM
This is in the VIDEO of mobileme, so I am sure it will be coming back and even easier to use.

Unfortunately your faith does not serve you.

I spoke to a MobileMe Support Chat person last night to find out that they had scrapped the feature, at least in the current iteration of MobileMe and the product feature page had been edited to reflect that. I was reminded that the TOS Agreement allows them to do what they wish with anything (sounds like more than one Apple product launch to me, with announced features disappearing without a peep).

I then kindly pointed out to her (her name was Kara, but I'm pretty sure that they are all called that because it was the fourth time I had gotten a hold of "Kara") that the MobileMe support page still had instructions on how to use our now killed share button feature, and she told she would make sure to pass it on for removal.

So yeah... That's not very nice. Oh well, maybe our nigh $100 a year will justify future features, or in this case previously shown and announced ones.

Just before anybody says this feature isn't that important, it's the ONLY way that people could have shared iDisk files without having to use the web interface, or network shares, or through the finder. That would have greatly sped up the process of getting out files as you'd no longer have to worry about email attachment limits and the like, and I'm sure many people can think of scenarios where this would have been useful.

Oh well.

EngBrian
Jul 13, 2008, 01:36 PM
...MobileMe support page still had instructions on how to use our now killed share button feature, and she told she would make sure to pass it on for removal.

I just went on the mobile me site and it still talks about "Share and Share alike"...I was hoping to get a trial account to use this feature and try mobileme in general as it seems better than when I had .Mac... I hope it does come through in the end.

mca7
Jul 13, 2008, 01:42 PM

I spoke to a MobileMe Support Chat person last night to find out that they had scrapped the feature...

super.pissed.off.now.

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not renewing.

I'm scrapping Apple's access to my credit card. This is crap.

DaSal
Jul 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
Well I'm glad I only got the trial. MobileMe turned out to be a MAJOR disappointment. Half the stuff they advertised was scrapped, and the other half barely works.

No Mac 2 Me push, no sharing on iDisk, iDisk is STILL really freaking slow (around like 70kb/s when I can upload to any other server at around 240kb/s), the site doesn't even work properly on one of my macs (running Safari no less). Hell, even MobileMe to Mac doesn't push properly most of the time. And whenever my Mac syncs and there is a change half the time it'll ask me if I want to approve it or not.

Nowhere near as integrated and smooth as it all looks in the video.

Anybody with a blog want to write a good post about this and get it on Digg or comparable sites? I can't believe there's like no press on this, I haven't even read a single post on Digg or anywhere else about MobileMe being down for like days. Word needs to get out and Apple needs to get their ass kicked for this screw up.

Only reason I'm not writing angry emails and getting my money back is because I'm on the trial, thank god.

I can only say one thing though: FALSE ADVERTISING!

EngBrian
Jul 13, 2008, 01:57 PM
I guess I am not too familiar with software development cycles but how did something like the share feature get dropped in the month since the keynote when Phil showed this feature. I would have thought a month ago they would have known if it was going to be ready or not.

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 01:57 PM
I made a blogpost about the push issue but my blog is so new and pathetic, it could never get up on Digg. Even if it did, I'm sure it would get ripped to shreds because it sounds more like a rant (which it is) than anything productive.

http://soloredd.typepad.com/

rdjl27
Jul 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
I made a blogpost about the push issue but my blog is so new and pathetic, it could never get up on Digg. Even if it did, I'm sure it would get ripped to shreds because it sounds more like a rant (which it is) than anything productive.

http://soloredd.typepad.com/

I wouldn't really call it a rant. Apple gets a pass too often when its not being transparent. The fact that many people are left in the dark as to how these things actually will work (10.4.x users for instance) is sad. Things performing in ways other than they were advertised and features being pulled at the last minute just is not the way to do business.

Although I'd like to point out that as long as the MobileMe support site has been up, that's how long the mention of the iDisk share feature has been noted there. Contrary to the chat agent told me, it looks like her passing on "feedback to the right channel to get that corrected" has not yet resulted in a correction. But if they're answering from scripts, it's pretty clear that they knew what what was going on. But again, a lack of clear, in the public transparency hinders us from knowing what actually is going on.

tivoboy
Jul 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
funny, so I setup the sharing with a password in my .mac (no updated to mm) control panel. then, I put some files in there, with idisk, and then I logged OUT of my mm, and went only to the PUBLIC url, was presented with a password request box, and was able to download the file I had put there.

Seems like file sharing is, or is still working.

mca7
Jul 13, 2008, 08:12 PM
funny, so I setup the sharing with a password in my .mac (no updated to mm) control panel. then, I put some files in there, with idisk, and then I logged OUT of my mm, and went only to the PUBLIC url, was presented with a password request box, and was able to download the file I had put there.

The file sharing function being discussed here is the lack of the email function. Apple advertised a way to upload large files to your idisk and then be able to send an email to a friend with a link they would easily click on and then the file would download to their computer. As of MM launch that ability is gone and supposedly has been cut from the MM service.

jc1350
Jul 13, 2008, 08:47 PM

this was something different. For example, with the file sharing people are talking about you could set options such as expire the link after x number of downloads, limit it by a particular password, and it was integrated with mail (not simply a hyperlink). If they didn't edit the file, you'll see it in action at http://www.apple.com/mobileme/guidedtour/

If they did edit it out, I have a local copy of the guided tour and you'll see. It blows public folders out of the water.

tismfu
Jul 13, 2008, 08:59 PM
Here's the nebulous reply I got from MobileMe support. I say nebulous because they seem to leave the door open to the feature popping up in the coming days/weeks/months.

Gotta say, though, as a Mac-diehard, Apple has dropped the ball and let down their customers in so many ways with this debut.

Dear xxx,

My name is xxx from the MobileMe Support team and thank you for your inquiry about iDisk File Sharing. This feature is not currently available with MobileMe.

When MobileMe was announced, iDisk File Sharing was mentioned as a feature; however, the MobileMe webpage noted that all features listed on that page were subject to change. When MobileMe was released on July 10, 2008, iDisk File Sharing was not included. I apologize for any inconvenience.

However, you can certainly use the Public folder of your iDisk to share files. You can access your Public folder through the new MobileMe interface. The new Internet address (URL) for iDisk Public folders is this:

http://idisk.mac.com/membername-Public

For more information about sharing your files using iDisk, please review this article:

Using your iDisk to share files
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1774

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

xxx
MobileMe Support
http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ww
http://www.me.com/help

tivoboy
Jul 13, 2008, 09:22 PM
Yes, I Have SEEN the "send a link to this file" functionality in the MM video before, but I THINK that people here were reporting that the public folder share, and password enabled login was ALSO going to be lacking, which it appears not to be. Certainly, one can send a link to the website with a UN and PW. But, granted, it ain't YOUSENDIT, but then again, that ain't too secure.

Maybe they will add some func in the future, as they have with Leopard, time capsule and others.

bperkins
Jul 13, 2008, 09:23 PM
Here's the nebulous reply I got from MobileMe support. I say nebulous because they seem to leave the door open to the feature popping up in the coming days/weeks/months.

Gotta say, though, as a Mac-diehard, Apple has dropped the ball and let down their customers in so many ways with this debut.

Just got the same "canned" reply from Mobile Me Mike...this is ********!

michaelsaxon
Jul 13, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm disappointed also that this isn't working.

MM seemed like such a great update to .mac and it is getting diminished each day...

Ashims
Jul 13, 2008, 10:22 PM
Honestly... I can forgive all the other problems they've had. I mean... they're all teething things that happen-- I was expecting as much with such a massive release.

That said, scrapping such a major feature with no warning? To me this is a massive letdown. Shall have to get in contact with Steve or the MobMe guys and see what is *actually* going on.

Anyone wanna volunteer?

cocky jeremy
Jul 13, 2008, 11:17 PM
Honestly... I can forgive all the other problems they've had. I mean... they're all teething things that happen-- I was expecting as much with such a massive release.

That said, scrapping such a major feature with no warning? To me this is a massive letdown. Shall have to get in contact with Steve or the MobMe guys and see what is *actually* going on.

Anyone wanna volunteer?

Exactly how i feel. I can forgive everything getting off to such a bad start, but to totally scrap the one thing i wanted the most..errr.. annoying, at best.

themightyspitz
Jul 13, 2008, 11:41 PM
Wow.....

I'm seriously depressed now. That was by far the coolest feature in the world. I was so excited by this, I literally told everyone.

If the ambiguous marketing about Push was not enough, this certainly is. Apple has lost a ton of respect in my book.

BillyBobBongo
Jul 14, 2008, 12:36 AM
My idisk is only showing 10 gig available...has anyone's updated to 20 yet?

Seeing 10GB here too still I'm afraid!

It seriously sucks that the iDisk feature isn't there.....let's hope we see it when the dust settles.

IJ Reilly
Jul 14, 2008, 12:50 AM
This is a great feature, if it works, and it will be missed even though we never had it... but all this talk of depression and the lashing out seems a bit over the top. Apple obviously has the intention of making this feature available but is holding it back for some reason or reasons that I at least presume do not include malice. MobileMe is what -- three entire days old now? Isn't a little early to be throwing hissy fits left and right about how it's not perfect already?

cocky jeremy
Jul 14, 2008, 02:01 AM
Seeing 10GB here too still I'm afraid!

It seriously sucks that the iDisk feature isn't there.....let's hope we see it when the dust settles.

By default it splits iDisk/mail 10gb a piece. You can change it. Mine is now iDisk 19gb/mail 1gb.

Pooshka
Jul 14, 2008, 02:04 AM
latest update (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5796879&postcount=1)

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 14, 2008, 02:05 AM
http://www.vulomedia.com/images/7554920080714_0302.png

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/idisk.html

ooooooh I'm sooo excited

BWhaler
Jul 14, 2008, 02:20 AM
I was really looking forward to this feature.

This is a major disappointment.

Pooshka
Jul 14, 2008, 02:22 AM
I was really looking forward to this feature.

This is a major disappointment.
did you actually read the thread title???:rolleyes:

BillyBobBongo
Jul 14, 2008, 02:25 AM
ooooooh I'm sooo excited

....and you just can't hide it! :D

Good to see that they're working on it...I knew they still loved us! :D

cocky jeremy
Jul 14, 2008, 02:58 AM
Gooooood! If they left this out, they were really messing up. Like i said, it was my main reason for wanting MobileMe after the trial.

tivoboy
Jul 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
MY 20GB has been showing up for several days now. I split it 1GB and 19GB for the disk. I had an old code that I had bought on ebay for 29$, it worked fine to renew for one year.

tripwire
Jul 14, 2008, 09:48 AM
My family pack main account still shows 20 gigs storage space in all, and family pack sub accounts cannot login.
Support cannot be contacted by mail or by phone.

gt1948
Jul 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
I spoke witha Kara the other day also and although she was trying very hard to be cooperative it was apparent she was not up to snuff on everything MobileMe.
I am glad to see the Apple web site says "Coming Soon" now. This is one feature I am looking forward too....

I spoke to a MobileMe Support Chat person last night to find out that they had scrapped the feature, at least in the current iteration of MobileMe and the product feature page had been edited to reflect that. I was reminded that the TOS Agreement allows them to do what they wish with anything (sounds like more than one Apple product launch to me, with announced features disappearing without a peep).

I then kindly pointed out to her (her name was Kara, but I'm pretty sure that they are all called that because it was the fourth time I had gotten a hold of "Kara") that the MobileMe support page still had instructions on how to use our now killed share button feature, and she told she would make sure to pass it on for removal.

So yeah... That's not very nice. Oh well, maybe our nigh $100 a year will justify future features, or in this case previously shown and announced ones.

Just before anybody says this feature isn't that important, it's the ONLY way that people could have shared iDisk files without having to use the web interface, or network shares, or through the finder. That would have greatly sped up the process of getting out files as you'd no longer have to worry about email attachment limits and the like, and I'm sure many people can think of scenarios where this would have been useful.

Oh well.

e-coli
Jul 14, 2008, 11:15 AM
Apple = Microsoft

The mothership is on fire, friends. The mobileMe launch was a disaster. The iPhone 3G launch was a disaster. The iPhone 2.0 software rollout was a disaster.

And now they delay (Apple's "delay" means months, without exception) advertised features from their products after customers paid for the service.

Apple's consumer experience is absolute rubbish now. Inexcusable.

SiskoKid
Jul 14, 2008, 11:35 AM
YIPPY!!!

I wanted this feature so badly! My father lives in Greece, and walking through a process of downloading anything is a huge chore. If I could just e-mail him a link to download videos I send him (like my graduation video he wants to see), this would make my life so much easier.

This is WONDERFUL news!

Pooshka
Jul 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
I spoke witha Kara the other day also and although she was trying very hard to be cooperative it was apparent she was not up to snuff on everything MobileMe.
I am glad to see the Apple web site says "Coming Soon" now. This is one feature I am looking forward too....
GRAMMAR POLICE HERE: this is one feature i am looking forward to;)

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 14, 2008, 12:25 PM
GRAMMAR POLICE HERE: this is one feature i am looking forward to;)

"This is one feature, I am looking forward as well!"

Pooshka
Jul 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
"This is one feature, I am looking forward as well!"
^INCORRECT

CORRECT: this is one feature i am looking forward to as well

p.s.
no comma needed

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
^INCORRECT

CORRECT: this is one feature i am looking forward to as well

p.s.
no comma needed

It was a joke.

I guess it would have been more effective with a period.

This is one feature.

I am looking forward as well.

Pooshka
Jul 14, 2008, 01:03 PM
It was a joke.

I guess it would have been more effective with a period.

This is one feature.

I am looking forward as well.
i get it now! i get it now!:D

themightyspitz
Jul 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
ooooooh I'm sooo excited

Thank goodness! At least they're working on it. Still upset it's not there from the beginning, but now it seems they will deliver.

If/When they do, THEN I will buy MobileMe. With the Sync work-around, now it's closer to what we were originally lead to believe to be MobileMe.

BWhaler
Jul 16, 2008, 12:36 AM
Apple = Microsoft

The mothership is on fire, friends. The mobileMe launch was a disaster. The iPhone 3G launch was a disaster. The iPhone 2.0 software rollout was a disaster.

And now they delay (Apple's "delay" means months, without exception) advertised features from their products after customers paid for the service.

It kills me to agree with this, but it's true.

The sad thing is the seeds for this have been long sowed.

Leopard was a buggy mess. And now, after 4 very large patches, things like Space are still moronically designed. The last version of the iPod OS had brutal bugs. Screen quality, laptop heat, etc. issues have been littered through the product lines for the past few years..

I hope the iPhone/mobileme train wreck finally gets senior management to wake up and realize that cool products without quality means squat. And don't let jr/middle management rationalize these disasters.

Apple needs to get their act together on quality. Fast.

Vaphoron
Jul 16, 2008, 12:56 PM
I really hope they are working on it and really do add this feature. I'm so sick of them pulling features at the last second. They should really have a better idea of what is going to work and what won't before they announce as a feature.

BlackMax
Jul 26, 2008, 10:17 PM
Apple = Microsoft

Unfortunately, this is becoming a disturbing trend across much of the technology industry these days. Promise a Ferrari, work up the hype and then deliver a Yugo while apologizing and promising to fix it. I've personally experienced this in 2008 with MS, Dell, VMware, a handful of smaller companies and now even Apple.

I don't know if the sales/marketing departments no longer talk with the development/engineering departments or if companies these days just figure everyone is doing it so we might as well; but I wish it would stop.

I suspect part of the problem is that many companies are being driven to innovate at a pace they can't maintain given their size, diversity of products/services and the constant push to cut cost AND grow margin at the same time.

Apple Ink
Jul 26, 2008, 10:21 PM
I think it'll come with the Mac/PC push thing as well! I just hope soon:p

stovetop6872
Aug 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
Well I am glad that they are adding this feature back, but I STILL haven't received my email from Apple about the 30 day extension, and it hasn't shown where my date expires....has anyone else had this problem??

danny_w
Aug 4, 2008, 11:56 AM
Well I am glad that they are adding this feature back, but I STILL haven't received my email from Apple about the 30 day extension, and it hasn't shown where my date expires....has anyone else had this problem??
I did receive an email back on 7/16 saying that I would get a free 30 days; this was the 30-day extension that everybody with a .mac account was supposed to get. I talked with Apple a few days ago via chat and they told me that it may not show up until the day of renewal, but that it should automatically extend your contract. I am currently sitting at 5 days until expiration, so I hope she was right. There is no way that I could justify renewing with all of the currently outstanding problems with MobileMe.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 4, 2008, 11:56 AM

same boat... I really wanted that letter.

TLewis
Aug 4, 2008, 03:52 PM
I never got the letter, but my trial account expiration date magically changed to be 30 days later.

Daveoc64
Aug 4, 2008, 09:26 PM
I've not got the letter yet (which is pretty unacceptable) nor do I have an extension.

Some people already have the extension despite their account not expiring for quite some time. They really should clarify this.

I'm worried I've been left out (well, I already have).