Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
Does anyone else think the finder blows?
If not, I need help.

Here is my scenario:
Today I had a folder on my desktop of various graphics files. There are 4,182 items and the folder is 300 mb. I accidently let go of the mouse while trying to drag the files into the trash. It started moving all 4000 some files to the desktop. I tried to stop it from happening by trying to click stop, but the finder became unresponsive. Its like it had to finish moving every single file before I could have any control of the finder. The dock became very unresponsive... bobing up and down very choppy. I can't access the apple menu and switching between apps is very slow. I waited for minutes. It finshed and I did an undo copy from the menu. That was at 2:52. It is now 4:26 and i still have a dialogue box on my desktop saying "Preparing to Undo move to pix2". Is this the way the finder is? Does anyone esle have crap like this happen? Is there a maximum file size for folders?

I mean, I have it in my head that this should be a fairly instantaneous event. Its not like i'm even copying them... i'm just moving them. I have 67gb free on the startup drive... I HAVE 1.5 gig of ram... I have 2 one gig processors. I feel like i'm on a mac SE30 running system 7.

I'm running OS 10.3.2. Does anyone have any answers for me? I'm beginning to have serious doubts about apple... unless this problem is happening to me only. Once again, its not like i'm calculating pi or trying to render some animation. Its just moving files. And it does this doggy behavior all the time for me.

If you have some advice let me know.:confused:

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Well first off, I have to agree with you that I hate the Finder in 10.3, ecspecially the distracting metal interface. The first thing I was going to ask you is what you were running on, but what you have is more than plenty. Sorry, all I can say is try rebooting and maybe it will work.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
There are some discussions else where abut the OS X.2.3 update making systems slow...especially boot up times. Did this happen even before you updated to Mac OS X.3.2?

I've haven't had any problems with Apple's new Finder in Panther...in face I think its great! Much more useful than before. It runs very fast on my 1 GHz Flat Panel iMac w/768 MB DDR RAM. (Mac OS X.3.1)

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Yep. The metal Finder is got to go. Also side bar needs more options... like text only... a pref for hide side bar on a global level... transparent background would be cool too.

Here's what I do: When selecting large amounts files, select them and then use the key shortcut: command + del. I use this because one time I accidently clicked to hard and the finder proceeded to launch Photoshop and in turn all 1,723 images. I had to force quit PS. No big deal I guess. I just hate having to force quit.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
yeah...

I usually try to do the command... this was just one of those things that it was selected so i might as well drag... i guess and I also hate to force quit ;-)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Originally posted by j33pd0g
Yep. The metal Finder is got to go. Also side bar needs more options... like text only...

You can make it only icons...just drag the bar in between the side bar a the rest of the window to the left and it will go over to icons only and display a little tag saying what each icon is for.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Right now I'm copying 4GB of stuff off my external FW HDD to my iMac HDD so I can burn it to a DVD and yes it did take minute or two to copy it over, but it DID NOT slow down Finder or any other app running. I would try what the others recommended. I doubt this will help, but you can repair your permissions too.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Re: yep...

Originally posted by movabi
yeah, but that doesn't change the size of the icons

The icon size only changes when you change the size of the window...Apple specifically made it that way.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by mklos
You can make it only icons...just drag the bar in between the side bar a the rest of the window to the left and it will go over to icons only and display a little tag saying what each icon is for.

Yeah I tried it like that for a week... that little strip is just strange... and then the white bubble tags are slow.

The Finder also likes to toss the desktop folder (after restarts, start ups) into my side bar. I don't want it there... but I guess it decides I do.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
i see

yeah, i see what you mean. but l like being in control of that. like adding a list view and setting one size and going with it.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
reset the pram

i reset the pram... something odd happened where my machine wouldn't boot after it... Had to restart from another drive doing command option shift delete. then reselecting panther drive.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
Nope...

Calling apple... I was hoping not to have to go that route... since it seems to take forever with little results...

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
One thing I've noticed about the metal Finder is that window resizing is noticeably slower than in spatial mode.

Safari(metal) also has slow resizing behavior, but Mail(non-metal) is very smooth.

Metal is slower.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I also think the new finder is crap. And I think apple has gone overboard with the 'metal' look.

when i preview photos in the new finder, the images are blurry.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
glad im not having these problems. the Panther 10.2.3 finder on my TiPB 867 works fine, even when moving or copying Gigs worth of stuff (sure it takes a while, but that's my 4200rpm drive...man i need to get that 7200 in here!). This while photoshopping, iPhoto-ing, safari-ing, DLing, networking, and playing iTunes. no unusual problems here. i move 300mb daily with no prob.

oh, and i like the finder too. :)

check your HD lately???

peace.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Re: Panther & Finder

Originally posted by movabi
Does anyone else think the finder blows?

Coming from Windows Explorer and KDE's Konqueror, Panther's Finder is the the most annoying for managing many files and directories. Some annoyances:

* Can't select list view as default. You have to manually set it for every new directory you view (though sometimes selecting list view of a parent seems to propagate to the child dirs, but it doesn't work consistently).

* Directories aren't listed before files. This is very annoying when traversing directories containing more than a few files--the directories you want to get to are buried among the files. Sorting files by kind is a sort-of workaround, but again, needs to be set manually for each directory.

* There seems to be an intrinsic flaw which causes it to be slow to keep window contents in sync with actual directory contents. When you switch to a Finder window there is a delay before new files appear. Sometimes new files won't appear in an existing Finder window at all.

* Selecting many files in list view for copying/moving is often frustrating. If you want to drag a meticulously selected set of files, but click in the wrong place (which seems to include the selected files themselves, for the most part) when it comes time to drag them somewhere, your selection is lost.

* And the biggest of all: lack of a tree view of directories. This makes some previously simple operations (e.g. moving a file from the a current 5-level-deep dir to 4-level-deep parent) very slow.

I'm relatively new to Mac OS X so perhaps there are some "power tips" which provide solutions to the above that I'm not aware of.

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
If you have OmniGraffle (it comes w/ some macs) you can drag a directory onto a blank document and it creates a tree map of it. At least that's what I'm told...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.