PDA

View Full Version : MobileMe sucks

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 11:40 AM
Yea, just throwing it out there. My iPhone is now completely devoid of information after updating the firmware, because my MobileMe apparently doesnt feel the need to push ANY information, and I can't manually sync it with iTunes because iTunes says all the info will be synced over the air via MobileMe. What the hell is this service, it's worthless.

Sorry, this is a mockery of a sham by apple. Total fail.

HotblackDesiato
Jul 13, 2008, 12:13 PM

A mockery of a sham? :confused:

I mean really, can't they even get a sham right?

embiencechaser
Jul 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yea, just throwing it out there. My iPhone is now completely devoid of information after updating the firmware, because my MobileMe apparently doesnt feel the need to push ANY information, and I can't manually sync it with iTunes because iTunes says all the info will be synced over the air via MobileMe. What the hell is this service, it's worthless.

Totally Agree. What a shame for now. See what happen after 1 week or so.

wolfpackfan
Jul 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
Mockery of a sham. I love it. Hope you don't mind if I use that one sometime :). And by the way I mostly agree. Though me.com does seem faster (especially email) than it was yesterday. I still can't get it to push anything to my iPhone though.

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
Mockery of a sham. I love it. Hope you don't mind if I use that one sometime :). And by the way I mostly agree. Though me.com does seem faster (especially email) than it was yesterday. I still can't get it to push anything to my iPhone though.

Hah, can't take credit for that one, don't remember where I heard it though.

And the whole thing sucks - genius's at the apple store have no idea what to do about it either, because there's nothing TO do; Apple just blew this one hard.

Roller
Jul 13, 2008, 12:55 PM

What information are you referring to? Your contacts and calendar data should still be on your computer. Have you tried disabling MobileMe syncing and then manually syncing with iTunes?

jdcoffman
Jul 13, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree, everything works swimmingly for me (acknowledging that Mac->cloud happens every 15 mins).

Everything other than that delay is working fine... much better value at $99 today than .Mac has been for the last 4 years that I've had it.

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 01:33 PM
I did a full restore and things kind've work better now - by and large I get push to and from the iphone, with the exception of mail deletions being pushed from my iphone - if I delete from the phone, more often than not I just get another copy of the email in my iphone inbox telling me it's unread. The desktop applications don't push, but that should be fixed eventually (I hope), so there's some improvement - I'd just like some stability, that's all.

andiwm2003
Jul 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
well, i synced my calender to the cloud successfully. but my iphone is stil clueless about my changes. it's been 2 hrs. mails don't sync. one of my mac's still doesn't get the mobileme update 1.1 via software update. web apps are slow.

i thought of setting up a calendar/idisk for a small business with 5 email adresses but i guess mobileme is not reliable enough.:(

wolfpackfan
Jul 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
My iPhone still isn't receiving Push from .Me at all. I have to manually fetch my email and on top of that if I delete an email on the iPhone it doesn't delete on .Me. Calendar push is one way - entries I put on the iPhone do seem to make it to .Me, but entries I put on www.me.com don't show up on iPhone. Did Apple test this software at all? What have they been doing for the last year.

Dh22
Jul 13, 2008, 01:53 PM
you guys are lucky, it wont even let me log in to www.me.com. i havn't even seen the web interface!

all i'm able to do is receive mail from mail.app with a delay in push :(

andiwm2003
Jul 13, 2008, 01:55 PM
macrumors should update their page one article saying "MobileMe Online, Mac OS X Updater Available". maybe they notified arn already but he didn't get the email on his iphone because.........:D

jmingin
Jul 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
Agreed - I tried syncing my calendar after spending a couple of hours cleaning up my calendar on my computer and totally resetting Sync. Every "All-Day Event" moves one day before actual event on MobilbeMe and when I sync to my iPhone, an all-day event shows up twice, on each of the 2 days following the day it is on MobileMe. Everything appears correctly on iCal.

I tried going in and setting preferences for Local Time Zone but no difference.

I am sticking with the old way for awhile until the Genius Bar group gets time to learn the new stuff.

I was especially excited about the push calendar especially. Oh well :(

FetalSage
Jul 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
MobileMe (online) and my iPhone stays in sync very well, emails gets pushed to the phone, Calendar and Contacts take a few seconds (sometimes a minute) to update, but it does update without me having to do it manually.

The only problem is the syncing from my Mac and MobileMe, that's where the 15-minute is I believe.

iMosaic
Jul 13, 2008, 02:17 PM
MobileMe (online) and my iPhone stays in sync very well, emails gets pushed to the phone, Calendar and Contacts take a few seconds (sometimes a minute) to update, but it does update without me having to do it manually.

The only problem is the syncing from my Mac and MobileMe, that's where the 15-minute is I believe.

Yep, same here. My iPhone and Mobilme seem to push back and forth good on Email, Contacts and Calendar. The Mac side still needs sync for pushing up to Mobilme. Ever so slowly things are coming around.

ItsGavinC
Jul 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree, everything works swimmingly for me (acknowledging that Mac->cloud happens every 15 mins).

Everything other than that delay is working fine... much better value at $99 today than .Mac has been for the last 4 years that I've had it.

I'm with you on this one. It's working wonderfully, updates are happening in 5-7 seconds, with the exception of the Mac --> cloud, which I make happen by hitting the sync button.

I'm VERY happy at this point!

ZJKingsley
Jul 13, 2008, 03:15 PM

This is the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I am having!!!!??!??!???!?!?!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

Is there any remedy???? ive been waiting 3 days for my calendars, and emails, and contacts already, and I dont want to turn it off, so I can't sync it either,

THIS REALLY DOES SUCK!!!!!!

any help?

gauchogolfer
Jul 13, 2008, 03:22 PM
Yep, same here. My iPhone and Mobilme seem to push back and forth good on Email, Contacts and Calendar. The Mac side still needs sync for pushing up to Mobilme. Ever so slowly things are coming around.

I'm also having no problems with MobileMe (the web interface pushes to both Mac and iPhone) aside from the 15 minutes mentioned for syncing from Mac to Web. I have the .Mac sync in my menubar which I can click if I'm in a hurry. Seems great to me so far.

Medic525600
Jul 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
I can't believe how some people just complain. Push for me is working great on my Mac. The push every 15 min from my computer is working great. No, it doesn't do it instant, but it's way better than before. I have had no problem pushing cal, address books items or e-mails from the could to my iPhone. Perhaps it's you that hasn't set things up correctly. I did a test and items push from my iphone to my calendar online in about ~30 seconds. Couldn't be more happy.

Some people I think whine just to hear themselves whine. I am so sick and tired of everyone bashing everything and anything. Some people just won't be happy no matter what and will find something to complain about no matter what any company releases.

Like I said, all works perfectly for me and I just helped a new iphone user/MobileMe user get up and running and his works great as well. Since it works great for me, perhaps it's you that isn't doing something right.

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Do a restore of the firmware, that fixed it for me. Still with my iphone pushed email deletions regularly, but I'll take what I can get - at least I have contacts now.

theheadguy
Jul 13, 2008, 03:36 PM
This is the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I am having!!!!??!??!???!?!?!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!
Is there any remedy???? ive been waiting 3 days for my calendars, and emails, and contacts already, and I dont want to turn it off, so I can't sync it either,
THIS REALLY DOES SUCK!!!!!!
any help?
For some reason I can't help but feel you people didn't follow the directions exactly. It warns of this problem unless you sync the devices in a certain order before letting either iTunes or your phone even know about MobileMe. Just checking, because with people who type like ^^ , they usually aren't up for following instructions very well. :rolleyes:

BillyBobBongo
Jul 13, 2008, 03:37 PM
Is there any remedy????

I found that restoring my iPod and then setting it up as a new unit, without restoring any backups, kicked it into gear. Perhaps it's worth a try?!

cocky jeremy
Jul 13, 2008, 03:37 PM
I did a restore as soon as i got my iPhone 3g, and everything seems to be working just fine for me. I just hope they put up the "Share" feature on iDisk soon.

ZJKingsley
Jul 13, 2008, 04:22 PM
I found that restoring my iPod and then setting it up as a new unit, without restoring any backups, kicked it into gear. Perhaps it's worth a try?!

thanks, will do!

and btw to that other guy I do read directions, I have had macs all my life, and am very comp. savy, maybe you should acknowledge others' situations than your own!

jmingin
Jul 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Some people I think whine just to hear themselves whine. I am so sick and tired of everyone bashing everything and anything. Some people just won't be happy no matter what and will find something to complain about no matter what any company releases..

I'm happy everything worked out so well for you, but we are seeking answers not looking to be preached at. Why don't you explain what you did so we can figure out where the error(s) may reside instead of getting all high and mighty?
:mad:

ajpegg
Jul 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
I had a few problems persuading MobileMe to push to me. I think in the end it was down to an existing mail account getting confused with the new me.com account.

I deleted all mail accounts from the iPhone, then restarted it completely, then re-entered the mail account. Mail worked fine but there was nothing in contacts and calendar. Patience was required though, and eventually everything came through, although calendar was very slow but I think there are still server problems with MobileMe.

I am sure it will settle down, the web interface is still quite flaky but that's not really surprising for something so new.

It seems there is an alternative, by the way - http://4iphone.net/

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
Amazing, after trying to add a new mailbox I turned off syncing, and then turned it back on, and now I have nothing. I restored my iPhone (3rd restoration) and synced everything manually, but as soon as I turn on push for my contacts etc., they all go blank and none of my contacts or calendars or anything exist anymore. It's been 30 minutes now and nothing's been pushed, so I'll assume it's not working. My restore method doesn't work anymore (as complicated as it was, haha), so now I don't know what to do. Worthless.

aristobrat
Jul 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
I hope you can get whatever the problem is with your account figured out. :confused:

It worked perfectly for me on Thursday when I updated my original iPhone to 2.0 I was at work, and my work computer has none of my personal info. I typed in my MobileMe stuff and within a minute or two, all of my emails, contacts and calendars synced over-the-air.

Same on Friday when I picked up my new iPhone 3G. I went to dinner immediately afterwords. Typed in my MobileMe info and everything synced down perfectly.

Are you new to MobileMe? I've had my .Mac account for almost two years. Don't know if that factors in somehow.

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
No, I've had .Mac for almost 5 years now. I've tried to do a clean restore, and I'm now in iTunes, and it's giving me the option of syncing my email account, the only problem with which is that when I check the check box, and click sync, it says that it's syncing the mail account yet when I go to the iPhone and look at the mail, it hasn't synced anything. So poor.

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm giving up for the night - I have done 3 restores, this one setting it up as a new phone, and this time I just entered my MobileMe account and set up all the push, yet I get nothing. I have no solutions, and anticipate having no push until I visit a useless genius. I tried following the online instructions step by step after my second restore, and that didn't work, so don't tell me I haven't done what I should have done the first time. My me.com displays all the correct location, but for some reason my iPhone doesn't want to get any of the information. Screw it.

aristobrat
Jul 13, 2008, 09:45 PM
Don't know if it matters any, but I didn't use iTunes at all to get MobileMe setup either of the times I set it up.

I did the setup on the phone directly by going to Settings > Email and clicking the MobileMe button. I was totally disconnected from the computer.

NJPitcher
Jul 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
yea, just tried a strictly iPhone setup, including deleting my account and setting it up again, and it's still a no go.

embiencechaser
Jul 14, 2008, 11:28 PM
yea, just tried a strictly iPhone setup, including deleting my account and setting it up again, and it's still a no go.

All other MobileMe service are online and fully operational, but Homepage and Groups are not.:mad:

Philscbx
Mar 3, 2009, 07:02 AM
Ok, I put up one photo sample, and it works.
Then yesterday I ended up emptying my bank account with a MacPro vs my 3.5 yr old PowerBook.
So I needed my bookmarks to be transferred to the Pro Tower.
I have to admit exploring the options as a rookie, I now have bookmarks on tower in one click.
So a Cheer for that.

Then, I try to load up a small 10Mg .MOV file that plays just fine in QT.
Complete Joke.
You don't even get the option to pick the file.

I've tried as much as a rookie can do.

Thanks' for whining support.

Phil

mariamartinez
Feb 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
http://mobilemeissues.blogspot.com/

mariamartinez
Feb 16, 2010, 09:56 PM
I can't find the link I posted, so here's the content:

MobileMe cheats users

I decided to create this blog after a very disillusioning experience with MobileMe. I never expected to be cheated by MobileMe. The company, after all, is associated with Apple Computer. Apple Computer makes my Macbook Pro and other wonderful products I have purchased associated with it. Tech support from Apple, and customer service from Apple, have been fairly good to great during the past two years that I've owned my Mac.

MobileMe came after I bought my computer. When I was told via email that MobileMe would be even better than the deal I already had - for example, MobileMe would give me 20GB of webspace to allocate as I wished, instead of 10GB, it sounded good. The "expansion" told me plenty of space was there if I needed it, served other products, and implied a general enhancement.

At the time MobileMe was introduced I had an iWeb account and an email address. I used my email address and published photographs and poetry using iWeb. I used less than the 10GB promise in effect then, more like 500MG, but planned to expand. I didn't plan to use 20GB, but thought I wouldn't have to worry about space. I could create freely. I had an Individual Account (for $99/yr., rather than The Family Pack for $149/yr.) with both the 10GB and the 20GB promises.

I found out the hard way that the promise of 20GB was a pipe dream. I found this out recently when I went up to 1.14GB of usage in iWeb. This is a fraction of 20GB, but even this was too much. I'd already had warning signs, and began to get many more different error messages when I was unable to publish, such as: Not Enough Disk Space, Publish Error, Cannot Connect to MobileMe, and Sign-In (even though I was signed in). My files corrupted as well.

After working with Apple Support for a few days, a technician realized that the problem was with MobileMe and I was referred to MobileMe. After many ups and downs, lasting about two weeks, the senior technician at MobileMe finally informed me (after finally being informed by his supervisor I would guess) that I was using too much webspace. When I told him (via email; everything is done online with MobileMe) that I was supposed to have 19GB to use, as I had only allocated 1GB to Mail, he informed me that even though I was told I had 20GB to allocate, I actually did not have that to use. He told me, "We don't expect people to use that much," and "iWeb isn't designed for 'extensive' use." I asked if he could make it possible for me to use even 2GB, and received no reply.

In fact, he told me, I would have problems until I either reduced my usage or upgraded to Family Pack and divided my websites into one main account and four sub accounts. Each of the sub accounts was 5GB, he said, and the main account was 20GB (but not really). I asked if the 5GB for each sub account was REAL, and he informed me that MobileMe liked to keep the sub accounts at around 100MG each, to keep them working.

20GB and 5GB for the iWeb Family Pack, in reality, amounts to less than 1GB usage for the main account and around 100MG usage for each sub account. I would guess that other MobileMe applications, such as iDisk and iPhone, don't come anywhere near to performing as promised either. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to back up to iDisk as promised. And there are no plans to change the phony promises that sell more subscriptions. Never once while working with the technician was there an apology, either.

After more back and forth, the technician told me he had upgraded my account to the Family Pack (not asking, just giving), a complimentary upgrade. The extra power has helped a little, not much but a little. I don't have to do the delete-plists or restart my computer as often, or wait as long between posting changes. Since only one of my sites is under 100MG, the rest enough larger to cause problems, I don't make use of the 5GB sub accounts. I have a complimentary upgrade, for awhile, after which time I can go up 50% in what I pay for the same deal.

Misinformation! False advertising! But apparently that's no big deal at MobileMe. It sets up the unsuspecting for upset and loss, but that's no big deal either. If you don't like it you can always cancel your subscription. I had planned and created my sites with the idea of expanding them. Now I can barely manage my incomplete sites. I've taken down some material over the past two days, so that I'm currently using 921MG for iWeb and 1GB for Mail (I have to choose between allocating 52MG or 1GB to Mail; there's no choice in-between), and I'm still having problems. Just not as many as often.

Today I was wondering about Steve Jobs and MobileMe. Steve Jobs is the man so important to the creation of the Macintosh computer, the man who said, “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” Cheating is not at all innovative. I looked up the relationship and found that Jobs resigned from Apple in 1985.

Comments from other readers, with related experiences, would be most welcome. I'd like to publish all the ones that contribute most directly to the blog theme as separate posts.

Thanks for reading this post. I hope you will participate to help inform other users -- and maybe even improve MobileMe.

February 16, 2010

liquidsuns
Feb 17, 2010, 02:04 AM
Umm, that sucks. I don't have any problem with the 20gb of space that they give me nor the 5 gbs for the sub-accounts in the family pack. The only time I've had an issue with Mobileme (my gallery wasn't syncing properly) they spent a lot of time with me and resolved the issue. I was just as pleased with the Mobileme support as I am with all of Apple's customer support.

As for your statement about Steve Jobs, he was more fired then resigned in the 80's, but, ahhh, I'm quite sure he is back with Apple and has been for quite awhile and has won numerous CEO of the year awards, introduced all their main products for the last decade and is more intimately involved with every aspect of his company then perhaps any other CEO ever. So I don't know what your point is with that.

BroadcastDoc
Feb 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
I use a quite a bit of my 20GB. I have a website, iDisk syncing and email all plugging away, and have had no problems in the years that I've had it (it's an old enough account that I have a .mac address).

So, while I don't argue that you have problems, it has been working 100% as advertised with me, and has been for many years now.

JuanGuapo
Feb 18, 2010, 09:50 AM
I use a quite a bit of my 20GB. I have a website, iDisk syncing and email all plugging away, and have had no problems in the years that I've had it (it's an old enough account that I have a .mac address).

So, while I don't argue that you have problems, it has been working 100% as advertised with me, and has been for many years now.

Same experience as you. I can't live without the iDisk or calendar syncing....both are critical for me.

mlprater
Mar 11, 2010, 11:46 AM
This is the number one thread that shows up when I Google "mobilme sucks".

With the advent of dropbox (not the Apple one), MobileMe takes a huge hit. Sync doesn't work cross platform, so I have turned it off, in favor of Google.

The one remnant I enjoy is my sweet email address. But the web client is SOOOO SLOW I am considering parking it.

Anyone else feel this way?

Lets just say I'm skeptic this crew can get cloud computing right when they can't get a web client to work well.

aristobrat
Mar 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
Umm, that sucks. I don't have any problem with the 20gb of space that they give me nor the 5 gbs for the sub-accounts in the family pack.
Same, no problems here.

mlprater
Mar 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
Same, no problems here.

I don't have a problem with size, I have a problem with laggy software. Dropbox is much quicker than iDisk, so much so that iDisk has been relegate to an also-ran in my work.

PDACPA
Mar 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
My problems are with the web interface. I enter an appointment and MM just changes the start time to a different time. I have to post the appointment go click some place then check it. Sometimes you enter a bunch of appointments and the screen refreshes and its all gone.

I basically use the web calendar to view. Safer to add stuff on my ical or iphone.

As far as idisk and gallery and publishing. No issues other than when uploading pictures to the web gallery, same refresh on the web page and you have to redo it.

i did not realize MM was sub contracted out

volntitan
Mar 12, 2010, 06:33 AM
I'm with the original poster. MobileMe is horrible. Having trouble with mail...AGAIN. I'm glad the apple store thru this in, but I won't be re-upping. Can't believe they charge for this.

BroadcastDoc
Mar 12, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm with the original poster. MobileMe is horrible. Having trouble with mail...AGAIN. I'm glad the apple store thru this in, but I won't be re-upping. Can't believe they charge for this.

What troubles are you having? I'm just curious because I don't *think* I'm having problems, but I can't say for sure...

MacGurl111
Mar 13, 2010, 06:54 PM
Wow. I was really considering mobileme.. I saw the interface and did not like it.. I might need it tho if i have an iphone and imac. I need my emails, contacts and calendar... and I'm a stay home mom. :D

JuanGuapo
Mar 14, 2010, 12:13 AM
No major problems here. I have been using MM for just over a year now w/ two Macs (iMac and MBP) and an iPhone 3G. My wife has her own separate account as well and hasn't had any issues.

The only 'gripe' I have with it is the me.com portal (mail, in particular) has a tendency to be slow to load and/or refresh. After a few 'chats' with Apple's support people, it turns out to be a relation to the amount of mail and folders I have. It was explained to me that the me.com/mail portal is (somewhat literally) an ajax-powered IMAP client that downloads/syncs with the main mail server at each login, and re-syncs every time you switch folders. If true, that makes sense why it lags with larger mailboxes and for maintaining perfect mail synchronization with the main mail server.

I cannot say for certain if this is in fact Apple's setup for MM but I have no reason to believe anything to the contrary; however, considering the fact that MM's IMAP server is the fastest one I currently use out of my 3 separate mail accounts it 'should' be fast enough to handle the me.com portal. If anyone is using Google Apps for e-mail, the Gmail IMAP server is dog slow compared to Apple's IMAP server (presumably due to the # of users).

Lastly, I've not had any problems with the service otherwise, IMAP and Push have all been pretty fast and reliable. Sorry to hear so many people hate the service.

BroadcastDoc
Mar 14, 2010, 01:02 PM
I agree with you on speed, JuanGuapo. As far as IMAP servers are concerned, MobileMe's are the fastest I've used, especially compared to Gmail.

I'm going to try to get rid of some of my old email to see if I notice any speed difference on webmail. I don't think it's that slow, but I do have 2,500 messages in my inbox! :eek:

JuanGuapo
Mar 14, 2010, 03:44 PM
I agree with you on speed, JuanGuapo. As far as IMAP servers are concerned, MobileMe's are the fastest I've used, especially compared to Gmail.

I'm going to try to get rid of some of my old email to see if I notice any speed difference on webmail. I don't think it's that slow, but I do have 2,500 messages in my inbox! :eek:

My god that's a lot of e-mail. I have most of mine separated into folders so my Inbox is relatively clear. My sent folder just cleared 1,000 messages and my total mailbox is just over 136MB.

In regard to Gmail... My university standardized on Google Apps for everything....e-mail, calendar, etc. Gmail's IMAP server tends to be slow, and slow in regard to space. For instance, the basic setup (without Labs enabled) has no option for Extended IMAP Controls. Therefore, all labels are shared as folders meaning that having 100MB in my e-mail account means I will have 200MB of e-mail offline in my IMAP client b/c of the All Mail folder. It really bites. Moreover, I've gotten the draconian "bandwidth exceeded" message several times in the past so I've casually moved most of the important e-mail to my MobileMe account, and use it for the majority of my school stuff.

I'm not trying to dog Gmail, but their IMAP setup is not ideal for sending/receiving lots amount of e-mail. Apple's Mobileme is the only one I can think of that adheres most strictly to standard IMAP.

BroadcastDoc
Mar 14, 2010, 11:22 PM
I've been a victim of the "Bandwidth Exceeded" message plenty of times.

A tip about the "All Mail" folder - you can "hide" it from IMAP using the webmail interface. Go into "edit labels" and you'll have the option to do it.

I do like MM's IMAP implementation though. No funny folders, and nice and fast.

JuanGuapo
Mar 15, 2010, 12:09 AM
A tip about the "All Mail" folder - you can "hide" it from IMAP using the webmail interface. Go into "edit labels" and you'll have the option to do it.

Unfortunately this requires me to have Adv. IMAP Controls enabled (via Labs, which are turned off by our IT dept.) :-(

BroadcastDoc
Mar 15, 2010, 09:51 AM
Ah. Good to know. I turned it on long ago (probably for that reason) so I didn't realize that it was a "labs" feature. Darn those admins!! :D

volntitan
Mar 15, 2010, 12:03 PM
Has MM web-based email been down? I have been getting a "Loading Email...please wait as load your information" with a status bar. Then after awhile I get an "unable to connect to mobile me". Been like that for a week.

Weaselboy
Mar 15, 2010, 01:09 PM
Has MM web-based email been down? I have been getting a "Loading Email...please wait as load your information" with a status bar. Then after awhile I get an "unable to connect to mobile me". Been like that for a week.

Just tried it here in Safari and it works fine.

mlprater
May 18, 2010, 11:43 AM
I've used MM for maybe 6 years. The web client has always been slow, but lately it stalls so frequently I cannot use it. I have 2800 emails in the inbox, but if Apple cannot figure out how to code "sync only some" then they're in trouble. I have no folders being synced.

The whole mobileme suite is problematic. I am briefly entertain when there's a contacts sync war between my macs (they just butt heads for hours), but it gets old and I end up deactivating contacts sync. I deactivate calendar sync. I brought down one of my macs foolishly trying keychain sync.

Short is, none of it works well. It's all sub-AAPL, and I don't know why they don't kill it or fix it (obviously, it's essentially free money, but that's not something wisely abused).

I hope the data center that's coming online soon fixes this. Otherwise I will think hard about renewing MobileMe next time the schedule comes up. It's just not as good as Google.

Digital Skunk
May 18, 2010, 12:42 PM
i've been using Mobile Me since it was iTools and I have never had an issue with the mail portion of it.

I used to hate the iDisk with a passion, and used Box.net for file share. Apple's since fixed those issues I had.

I really don't have any complaints, maybe make the Mail.app look like the one from the iPad, but other than that I am fine with 90% of it.

It seems to me though, that the many that do have an issue with MM don't use much of the service, just the push and mail/contacts/calendar sync.

PDACPA
May 19, 2010, 08:27 AM
The web app is not super stable. You will enter a calendar entry and it will refresh and lose everything so you have to re-enter. Same for contacts.

The sync is fast and works well, gallery is nice (except it will not sort alpha numeric...who knows why!!!) idisk works well too.

Get the apps for your iphone for gallery and idisk as they work well too.

It is getting better.

FinderUser213
May 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks!

I'm literally in stitches from reading "mockery of a sham". That, my friend, is HILARIOUS!

miamialley
May 20, 2010, 12:28 PM
Once again, my mobileme will not sync. So annoying. If it would work it would be great. This is the 3rd time in 9 months I've had this issue. Not worth the headache OR the $100.

mlprater
Jun 4, 2010, 11:51 AM
I've used MM for maybe 6 years. The web client has always been slow, but lately it stalls so frequently I cannot use it. I have 2800 emails in the inbox, but if Apple cannot figure out how to code "sync only some" then they're in trouble. I have no folders being synced.

The whole mobileme suite is problematic.

The new Mail is much, much better!

Morod
Jun 4, 2010, 01:34 PM
The new Mail is much, much better!

Totally agree, and with Apple actually listening to some of the feedback given and making fixes to MM, it can only get better. And free, don't forget (maybe) free.

joneve
Jun 11, 2010, 11:39 AM

Digital Skunk
Jun 11, 2010, 11:57 AM

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/ :rolleyes:

Philscbx
Jun 16, 2010, 05:57 AM
http://mobilemeissues.blogspot.com/I'll agree for the most part that it does suck, and the only reason I have it is to provide a way for entities to sync between devices.

I never go to mobileme.
It's just there in the background to serve the iPhone, which is what it was designed for.
It's just a low level entity web mail with little going for it to use on main
computers vs cell phone.

I use MacMail application from 5, 6 years ago.
It's solid and works. Paste images on the fly, within text, perfect.

I never give it out my Macmail to just anyone.
That's what Yahoo & MSN is for.
To test the source is trusted, then they get a Macmail address.
Not one spam mail is ever found in my MacMail done this way.

The photo album is at best an embarrassment to share.
I use Flickr for high res 1200x full screen or larger views.

If I was savvy enough, I wouldn't have it, but that's the cost of making it a sync base work for me.
From restoring lost bookmarks, etc.

The built in mobilme option to find and rip a lost iPhone to nothing was almost used today when the phone escaped my laptop bag leaving the aircraft at some point.

To make a long story short, call the phone immediately even if you have to bribe a nearby cell phone user.

Delta Airlines hire the lowest caliber of fat lazy brainless personal throughout the system.
So don't expect a shred of help from anyone.
I tried and tested several agents from Baggage to Ticket agents, even security.

The best I got was a pass to get back through security to the gate agent that had it. At one time Northwest was decent, now turn to crap.

Delta agents just standing around wouldn't do the slightest step of paging their own system to see if any gate agent found a phone.
I had to use an outside source to locate the phone.
Then force ticket agent to call the gate agent to verify the dam story.

If it's not in the job description, they would crap their pants full.

JJ5
Sep 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
Ebone V: Just like your vehicle it can need a little tune-up from human hands to get it working again. I can appreciate the amount of time that you have spent on troubleshooting your account issue as well as your past iDisk. However, Apple will not be compensating you for your time in working with these issues.

Simply put Apple has dropped the ball regarding the reliability and stability of the MobileMe service. Problems I continue to have over the past year include iDisk corruption and data allocation incorrect read out, data syncing issues, having to reset sync history from time to time for no reason other then "just because" according to Apple support rep and most recently I must enjoy pain because I had to spend over an hour texting with support to resolve stupid backend renewal problem.

Apple if you give a damn, please for God sake improve MobileMe backend issues. Other free services out there are making MobileMe look really bad.

techwarrior
Sep 1, 2010, 10:33 PM
Totally agree. I use Firefox and IE mostly, on winders. I can no longer access mail or calendar without installing yet another browser on my PC. I love iOS devices, but MM is a total fail.

alexcme
Oct 25, 2010, 05:53 AM
I was on a mobileme trial, just cancel it, had problem syncing contacts between macbook & iphone - every email deleted on mac was replicated twice on both devices, "solution" from apple support were to reset mobileme sync from mac and that is were I found that the only device synced to mobileme is the macbook, so where is my iphone (all settings were correctly set to push/auto, but, WTF):confused:

netdog
Oct 25, 2010, 05:59 AM
I find it so bizarre that people hate MobileMe. I've had .Mac since 2006, and it has been absolutely great.

Digital Skunk
Oct 25, 2010, 09:43 PM
I find it so bizarre that people hate MobileMe. I've had .Mac since 2006, and it has been absolutely great.

You're not alone. Been using it since iTools when it was free.

I think the most angst comes from people that sign up for it and only use the syncing of contacts, calendars, and mail, not knowing that they can get it for free.

They also need to learn how to do some actual shopping, and get it for less than $99.

I've seriously never had any issues with iTools, dotMac, MobileMe since day one, and I use every feature sans the find my iPhone.

JuanGuapo
Oct 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
If a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is (was) my biggest gripe with MobileMe.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5042294034_da95cfb94c_o.png

Most of the time this happened in the mornings. I couldn't send e-mail at home or at campus, it would ultimately time out on SMTP sends. I started to get it on my iPad of all things. MobileMe support was clueless and kept saying it was my end--multiple macs, and in multiple locations.

Gmail works fine so I switched to that after going back/forth with MM support for several weeks, finally gave up.

Macsterguy
Oct 28, 2010, 11:49 AM
Check your mail preference settings (Mail Prefs / accounts) for your MobileMe account:

Incoming mail server: mail.me.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.me.com

SSL - ON

Use default ports: 25,465,587

Authentication: password

What do your settings say?

Digital Skunk
Oct 28, 2010, 07:56 PM
If a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is (was) my biggest gripe with MobileMe.

Gmail works fine so I switched to that after going back/forth with MM support for several weeks, finally gave up.

I agree, that was my biggest gripe, but with Gmail as well. I get that message ever so often from both MM and Gmail . . . especially both of the Google Apps accounts I have running my business mail.

benoitgphoto
Oct 29, 2010, 11:47 PM
You're not alone. Been using it since iTools when it was free.

I think the most angst comes from people that sign up for it and only use the syncing of contacts, calendars, and mail, not knowing that they can get it for free.

They also need to learn how to do some actual shopping, and get it for less than $99.

I've seriously never had any issues with iTools, dotMac, MobileMe since day one, and I use every feature sans the find my iPhone.

Same here...MobileMe is great...works great without a glitch.

dCapedCrusader
Nov 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
My one year with Mobile is almost over. And its been great, no issues, just fantastic. The hard part is going to be paying that $99 price. Other than that, i love it. Especially the Calendar, works great for me with school and work.

Red-Biff
Nov 1, 2010, 11:00 AM
I've been really happy with MM, multiple calendars all my emails and been forwarding my gmail to it too but now its somehow deleted all my emails!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not happy!

Weaselboy
Nov 1, 2010, 11:11 AM
My one year with Mobile is almost over. And its been great, no issues, just fantastic. The hard part is going to be paying that $99 price. Other than that, i love it. Especially the Calendar, works great for me with school and work.

Get it for $59 at Amazon.

steve knight
Nov 3, 2010, 01:49 AM
is it me or does the mail app on my iphone not update when I read a email on the computer? if another email comes in then it updates but not till then. of course if I open mail it all gets right.
I do notice I get a lot better battery though. I used gmail on manual I had mail notifier to tell me when I got emails and had calenders on push.
I still use gmail with push calenders and have all my mobileme on push and my battery is quite a bit better. usually when I got home I was at 20% but I can be has high as 40 or 50% now with the same use.

Weaselboy
Nov 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
is it me or does the mail app on my iphone not update when I read a email on the computer? if another email comes in then it updates but not till then. of course if I open mail it all gets right.

This is by design to conserve battery life. There is an Apple support article someone posted earlier explaining this is how it works.

tigres
Nov 3, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hey all...

I have a detailed question for MM users.

Are any of you using iPhone having major delays sending on your MM accounts, as well as opening mail on iPhone.

I have gotten terrible results doing both over the last 2 weeks, matters not if it's wifi or 3G.

Says "sending" for about 30+ seconds, even on a one word email.
Says "loading" for about 15-25 seconds " "

It is like the MM server is jacked up reporting to iPhone.

Any input is greatly helpful. Thanks

big samm
Nov 3, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hey all...

Are any of you using iPhone having major delays sending on your MM accounts, as well as opening mail on iPhone.

I have gotten terrible results doing both over the last 2 weeks, matters not if it's wifi or 3G.

I have the same exact issues.... but only on wifi not on 3G.... on 3G it's blazing fast but hangs on wifi... and no it's not my router or anything...
do you have a lot of emails in your inbox?

tigres
Nov 3, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have the same exact issues.... but only on wifi not on 3G.... on 3G it's blazing fast but hangs on wifi... and no it's not my router or anything...
do you have a lot of emails in your inbox?

No I don't have a lot in my inbox, however I have a lot of folders. I keep in spread out in different folders/subfolders; done it that way for years.

My total MB is about 1GB in size, no big deal.

I have a tier 2 tech looking into it, however I have not heard a word.

Doc750
Nov 3, 2010, 07:14 PM
Mine was expiring soon ... I just canceled it. Honestly $99/yr for what I use it for is not worth it. If it was a onetime deal I would have done it.

Weaselboy
Nov 4, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hey all...

Not seeing that issue here. I just did a test on wifi and sent out an email on my iPhone. It went out in about two seconds and was instantly received on my iMac.

tigres
Nov 4, 2010, 09:30 AM
Not seeing that issue here. I just did a test on wifi and sent out an email on my iPhone. It went out in about two seconds and was instantly received on my iMac.

Thanks very much for that information.

My MM account must be messed up. I have a family plan, and all accounts on it are exhibiting the exact same symptoms.

Apple is being very very non-helpful to say the least. I had a tech 2 support person email me with instructions on Sat, I had to give him permission to login, changing the PS to an impossible to remember one, and I have heard Zero back. I have sent the person 4 emails, with no response at all.

I am getting pretty pissed about this.

JuanGuapo
Nov 4, 2010, 09:15 PM
I've had issues with SMTP timeouts in the past, they seem to have been cleared up.

Zews
Dec 15, 2010, 12:19 PM
I have complained to Apple numerous times about the failure of MobileMe to deliver. I have had and continue to have multiple syncing issues, scores of multiple entries, and many more issues.

Apple is making millions of dollars a year form a service that has not performed as promised form the start. I think it is time that we start looking into to possibility of a class action lawsuit against Apple for failure to deliver on a promise made, and charge money for this failed product.

Dr McKay
Dec 15, 2010, 12:22 PM
you guys are lucky, it wont even let me log in to www.me.com. i havn't even seen the web interface!

all i'm able to do is receive mail from mail.app with a delay in push :(

My Safari loads Me.com in weird symbols, I have to load up Internet Explorer just to get onto it.

BroadcastDoc
Dec 15, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have complained to Apple numerous times about the failure of MobileMe to deliver. I have had and continue to have multiple syncing issues, scores of multiple entries, and many more issues.

Apple is making millions of dollars a year form a service that has not performed as promised form the start. I think it is time that we start looking into to possibility of a class action lawsuit against Apple for failure to deliver on a promise made, and charge money for this failed product.

What if it's working well for others?

briandesmond
Dec 18, 2010, 07:24 AM
The web interface is nice, the idea of syncing is nice, but it just keeps screwing my contacts up and is too expensive.