Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
A tip about the "All Mail" folder - you can "hide" it from IMAP using the webmail interface. Go into "edit labels" and you'll have the option to do it.

Unfortunately this requires me to have Adv. IMAP Controls enabled (via Labs, which are turned off by our IT dept.) :-(

volntitan

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Has MM web-based email been down? I have been getting a "Loading Email...please wait as load your information" with a status bar. Then after awhile I get an "unable to connect to mobile me". Been like that for a week.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Has MM web-based email been down? I have been getting a "Loading Email...please wait as load your information" with a status bar. Then after awhile I get an "unable to connect to mobile me". Been like that for a week.

Just tried it here in Safari and it works fine.

mlprater

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Minnesota.
Still slow

I've used MM for maybe 6 years. The web client has always been slow, but lately it stalls so frequently I cannot use it. I have 2800 emails in the inbox, but if Apple cannot figure out how to code "sync only some" then they're in trouble. I have no folders being synced.

The whole mobileme suite is problematic. I am briefly entertain when there's a contacts sync war between my macs (they just butt heads for hours), but it gets old and I end up deactivating contacts sync. I deactivate calendar sync. I brought down one of my macs foolishly trying keychain sync.

Short is, none of it works well. It's all sub-AAPL, and I don't know why they don't kill it or fix it (obviously, it's essentially free money, but that's not something wisely abused).

I hope the data center that's coming online soon fixes this. Otherwise I will think hard about renewing MobileMe next time the schedule comes up. It's just not as good as Google.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
i've been using Mobile Me since it was iTools and I have never had an issue with the mail portion of it.

I used to hate the iDisk with a passion, and used Box.net for file share. Apple's since fixed those issues I had.

I really don't have any complaints, maybe make the Mail.app look like the one from the iPad, but other than that I am fine with 90% of it.

It seems to me though, that the many that do have an issue with MM don't use much of the service, just the push and mail/contacts/calendar sync.

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
The web app is not super stable. You will enter a calendar entry and it will refresh and lose everything so you have to re-enter. Same for contacts.

The sync is fast and works well, gallery is nice (except it will not sort alpha numeric...who knows why!!!) idisk works well too.

Get the apps for your iphone for gallery and idisk as they work well too.

It is getting better.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Once again, my mobileme will not sync. So annoying. If it would work it would be great. This is the 3rd time in 9 months I've had this issue. Not worth the headache OR the $100.

mlprater

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Minnesota.
I've used MM for maybe 6 years. The web client has always been slow, but lately it stalls so frequently I cannot use it. I have 2800 emails in the inbox, but if Apple cannot figure out how to code "sync only some" then they're in trouble. I have no folders being synced.

The whole mobileme suite is problematic.

The new Mail is much, much better!

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I'll agree for the most part that it does suck, and the only reason I have it is to provide a way for entities to sync between devices.

I never go to mobileme.
It's just there in the background to serve the iPhone, which is what it was designed for.
It's just a low level entity web mail with little going for it to use on main
computers vs cell phone.

I use MacMail application from 5, 6 years ago.
It's solid and works. Paste images on the fly, within text, perfect.

I never give it out my Macmail to just anyone.
That's what Yahoo & MSN is for.
To test the source is trusted, then they get a Macmail address.
Not one spam mail is ever found in my MacMail done this way.

The photo album is at best an embarrassment to share.
I use Flickr for high res 1200x full screen or larger views.

If I was savvy enough, I wouldn't have it, but that's the cost of making it a sync base work for me.
From restoring lost bookmarks, etc.

The built in mobilme option to find and rip a lost iPhone to nothing was almost used today when the phone escaped my laptop bag leaving the aircraft at some point.

To make a long story short, call the phone immediately even if you have to bribe a nearby cell phone user.

Delta Airlines hire the lowest caliber of fat lazy brainless personal throughout the system.
So don't expect a shred of help from anyone.
I tried and tested several agents from Baggage to Ticket agents, even security.

The best I got was a pass to get back through security to the gate agent that had it. At one time Northwest was decent, now turn to crap.

Delta agents just standing around wouldn't do the slightest step of paging their own system to see if any gate agent found a phone.
I had to use an outside source to locate the phone.
Then force ticket agent to call the gate agent to verify the dam story.

If it's not in the job description, they would crap their pants full.

JJ5

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Recent thread from actual MobileMe senior support rep says it all.

Ebone V: Just like your vehicle it can need a little tune-up from human hands to get it working again. I can appreciate the amount of time that you have spent on troubleshooting your account issue as well as your past iDisk. However, Apple will not be compensating you for your time in working with these issues.

Simply put Apple has dropped the ball regarding the reliability and stability of the MobileMe service. Problems I continue to have over the past year include iDisk corruption and data allocation incorrect read out, data syncing issues, having to reset sync history from time to time for no reason other then "just because" according to Apple support rep and most recently I must enjoy pain because I had to spend over an hour texting with support to resolve stupid backend renewal problem.

Apple if you give a damn, please for God sake improve MobileMe backend issues. Other free services out there are making MobileMe look really bad.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Totally agree. I use Firefox and IE mostly, on winders. I can no longer access mail or calendar without installing yet another browser on my PC. I love iOS devices, but MM is a total fail.

alexcme

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Not worth $99

I was on a mobileme trial, just cancel it, had problem syncing contacts between macbook & iphone - every email deleted on mac was replicated twice on both devices, "solution" from apple support were to reset mobileme sync from mac and that is were I found that the only device synced to mobileme is the macbook, so where is my iphone (all settings were correctly set to push/auto, but, WTF):confused:

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I find it so bizarre that people hate MobileMe. I've had .Mac since 2006, and it has been absolutely great.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I find it so bizarre that people hate MobileMe. I've had .Mac since 2006, and it has been absolutely great.

You're not alone. Been using it since iTools when it was free.

I think the most angst comes from people that sign up for it and only use the syncing of contacts, calendars, and mail, not knowing that they can get it for free.

They also need to learn how to do some actual shopping, and get it for less than $99.

I've seriously never had any issues with iTools, dotMac, MobileMe since day one, and I use every feature sans the find my iPhone.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
If a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is (was) my biggest gripe with MobileMe.

5042294034_da95cfb94c_o.png

Most of the time this happened in the mornings. I couldn't send e-mail at home or at campus, it would ultimately time out on SMTP sends. I started to get it on my iPad of all things. MobileMe support was clueless and kept saying it was my end--multiple macs, and in multiple locations.

Gmail works fine so I switched to that after going back/forth with MM support for several weeks, finally gave up.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Check your mail preference settings (Mail Prefs / accounts) for your MobileMe account:

Incoming mail server: mail.me.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.me.com

SSL - ON

Use default ports: 25,465,587

Authentication: password

What do your settings say?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is (was) my biggest gripe with MobileMe.

Gmail works fine so I switched to that after going back/forth with MM support for several weeks, finally gave up.

I agree, that was my biggest gripe, but with Gmail as well. I get that message ever so often from both MM and Gmail . . . especially both of the Google Apps accounts I have running my business mail.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
You're not alone. Been using it since iTools when it was free.

I think the most angst comes from people that sign up for it and only use the syncing of contacts, calendars, and mail, not knowing that they can get it for free.

They also need to learn how to do some actual shopping, and get it for less than $99.

I've seriously never had any issues with iTools, dotMac, MobileMe since day one, and I use every feature sans the find my iPhone.

Same here...MobileMe is great...works great without a glitch.

dCapedCrusader

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
My one year with Mobile is almost over. And its been great, no issues, just fantastic. The hard part is going to be paying that $99 price. Other than that, i love it. Especially the Calendar, works great for me with school and work.

Red-Biff

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
London
I've been really happy with MM, multiple calendars all my emails and been forwarding my gmail to it too but now its somehow deleted all my emails!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.