Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Not to be outdone by last week's 50MP medium format release...

And at the same price as Hassy's current (older) 39!

3-19-08-phase_one_645.jpg

phaseone-1.jpg

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I knew that they wouldn't let Hassleblad get the lead in MP without a fight..

Too bad I'll probably never even see one of these in person..

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I knew that they wouldn't let Hassleblad get the lead in MP without a fight..

I notice they are not really in a "Megapixel fight" Right up near the top of the specs they say "6 micro meter pixels". This is by far the most informative way to specify the sensor. Few people care about the total pixel count but the size of each pixel maters a lot. When you work it out 6 um is the perfect size that balances resolution to noise, grain and ISO. I'd lable this as a "Sensor size fight". They are working their way back to the frame sizes we all grew up with.

If I was getting into commercial photography right now I think I'd be looking at the 645 format. You can buy into the Mamiya system right now for cheap and then upgrade "forever" all the way up to this Phase One camera while keeping your collection of old 645 manual focus lenses. Kind of like what Nikon and Pentax have done with small format cameras.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
If I was getting into commercial photography right now I think I'd be looking at the 645 format. You can buy into the Mamiya system right now for cheap and then upgrade "forever" all the way up to this Phase One camera while keeping your collection of old 645 manual focus lenses. Kind of like what Nikon and Pentax have done with small format cameras.

That is exactly what I am doing, except that I am more interested in the 6x7 format. I dont know why but the bigger camera just seem more intriguing to me! Problem is, that I wont see a digital back (full frame) for these for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.