Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
+ 1

I plan to get tomtom/navtech software when it comes out and will be looking for a dashboard mount and a car charger.

iPhone3G

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Car Mount

I have seen a cool, new car mount for the iPhone 3G somewhere, but I can't recall where at the moment. It was like a belt clip holder, but instead of a belt clip on the back, there is a piece that fits into your air conditioning vent. It is also adjustable from upright to landscape orientation. It looked pretty decent from what I saw briefly.

I'll post if I find it again.

Warpdrv

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I am also looking, but more so for a good cradle, I don't really care if it has a charger built in, as I have a griffin charging chord.

Looking for something like this
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/holder/Apple+iPhone-Brodit-Holder.asp

or this
http://store.everythingicafe.com/igrip-custom-fit-iphone-holder-without-mount/3A96A2890.htm

But I will make my own custom bracket to mount it too...
I absolutely hate the clamp/squeeze type mounts, they are hideous.
And I also hate those stupid gooseneck abortions that stick out of cigarette lighter hole...

2890.jpg

870168.jpg

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Not necessarily true - the belkin car charger does not work with the 3g iphone, but it works with the previous.

Any iPhone/iPod with the standard dock connector will work with any car charger with the standard dock connector.

You could get a generic iPod car charger off ebay for CHEAP and it'll work with your iPhone.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Just tested and my iPhone no longer works with my Sony head unit. It was being used for music only (not for the phone features) but it seems something Apple has done has seriously messed up the functionality which I used to have before.

I am not happy because I bought the Sony unit specifically for this purpose. :confused:

mmaguire

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Pacific NW
Not true - the belkin does work

Not necessarily true - the belkin car charger does not work with the 3g iphone, but it works with the previous.

I just bought the belkin iphone charger/FM transmitter yesterday. When I first plugged it in, I thought it didn't work because I got the screen stating that the product was not made for iPhone. When I looked at the batery icon it was charging. I charged it in the car yesterday without any problems. I have bluetooth in the car as well. It connects to the car perfectly. When I get a call the iPhone pauses the music and then restarts again after the call is finished. So running 3G, BT, the ipod and talking at the same time is not an issue anymore.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Any iPhone/iPod with the standard dock connector will work with any car charger with the standard dock connector.

You could get a generic iPod car charger off ebay for CHEAP and it'll work with your iPhone.
Nope. Your mileage may vary. A lot of AC adaptors still charge via the firewire spec. Apple disabled that with the 3G model. I have a cheap iPod / iPhone charger that I plug into my wall. Charges my old iPhone - does not charge my new iPhone 3G. I also have a Belkin car charger - charges the old, not the new.

So it's best to make sure that your adaptor supports the 3G before you buy it!

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
for a dash mount i actually use the nokia universal cradle. works great, fits the phone snuggly in the widest position. getting the griffin charger soon for it.

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Belkin FM Transmitter

I just bought the belkin iphone charger/FM transmitter yesterday. When I first plugged it in, I thought it didn't work because I got the screen stating that the product was not made for iPhone. When I looked at the batery icon it was charging. I charged it in the car yesterday without any problems. I have bluetooth in the car as well. It connects to the car perfectly. When I get a call the iPhone pauses the music and then restarts again after the call is finished. So running 3G, BT, the ipod and talking at the same time is not an issue anymore.

I just ordered this one today hoping it would work on my 3G. Are you able to transmit to an FM station okay? Do you get much static?

Thanks,

Bob

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Just tested and my iPhone no longer works with my Sony head unit. It was being used for music only (not for the phone features) but it seems something Apple has done has seriously messed up the functionality which I used to have before.

I am not happy because I bought the Sony unit specifically for this purpose. :confused:

Have you tried airplane mode, by any chance, if all you want is music?

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Belkin Tunebase FM

I just got the Belkin Tunebase FM (part #F8Z183). It was $100 but it was worth it. It says it works with iPhone. It also happens to work with iPhone 3G perfectly. It charges it and transmits the music to my stereo. FM transmission is tough since I live in the city. I'll get a very clear signal for a while and then there will be static. This unit also has a line out where you can attach a cassette tape adapter. I may do that. But this is a very nice unit. It holds your iPhone in place really well. If you are shopping around for an FM Transmitter and are interested in this one, make sure you are looking at part #F8Z183. There are earlier versions that look identical with different part numbers. I do not know if these older versions work with iPhone 3G or not. I should also note that when I hooked up my iPhone 3G to it, I didn't even get the warning notice that other people are getting on other chargers/docks.

nyctravis

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I bought the Griffin PowerJolt and can confirm that it works for me too in the car. Was my 3rd try at a car charger for my 3G and was so happy that it worked. Now I can charge and play audio at the same time. Phew

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I got the Griffin iSqueez (link). It turns one of your cup holders into an iPhone/iPod holder. It also has a hole in the bottom for a power charger to come through. I think my car charger is also by Griffin. Works great for me =)

EDIT: So it looks like they've discontinued the iSqueez. That sucks. I thought it was a great idea lol.

jjahn

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
car mount and charger

I just purchased this from Amazon. (Kensington Car Charger Deluxe)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011ULQ1K

Apple store costs $49.99
But amazon has it for $36.89.

It works pretty well with a flexible goose-neck. It also comes with a auxiliary cable to plug into the car.

starbot007

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008

I saw this at Fry's Electronics and thought that this was perfect, but it doesn't fit the 3G. There's a version for the iPod Touch and the original iPhone, so they're specifically designed for a single device.

Has anyone used these before? When I was looking at them, the corners seem kind of rough and looked like they could constantly keep scraping your phone.

steinbch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Kensington LiquidAux Deluxe

After having my Alpine head unit rendered useless in the iPod realm with 2.0, I was on the lookout for something that would let me control my ipod easily, charge the iPod, and require little wiring. I ended up purchasing the Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HO

I got it today and after brief use, I am absolutely THRILLED with it. The holder plugs directly into your cig lighter, and has a definite wiggle to it. Luckily, the wiggle doesn't seem to show up while driving on normal roads. Plugging in was a breeze. Your iPod/iPhone passes audio through the dock connector, so all you need to do is connect the Kensington's audio plug to your AUX plug in the car stereo.

When you dock your iPhone/iPod, you don't see any messages that say it wasn't designed for an iPhone, it just starts working. Did I mention it also includes a wireless remote that hooks onto your steering wheel?

Overall, I can't find much wrong with this thing, except I would have liked it to be a little stiffer, because over rocky roads I can possibly see this thing moving around.

If you are looking for an all-in-one solution to charging and playing your iPhone, I seriously suggest you look into the Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe. I was at the Apple Store today and saw a spot on their wall for it, but it was out of stock.

CrosshairDF2

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I got the Griffin iSqueez (link). It turns one of your cup holders into an iPhone/iPod holder. It also has a hole in the bottom for a power charger to come through. I think my car charger is also by Griffin. Works great for me =)

EDIT: So it looks like they've discontinued the iSqueez. That sucks. I thought it was a great idea lol.

Best Buy is selling two bundles with a new version of the cup holder -

one with an Aux cable http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...hone&lp=13&type=product&cp=3&id=1200703057028

and the other with the cassette. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ffin&lp=10&type=product&cp=1&id=1201306784884

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.