Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmail

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
After having my Alpine head unit rendered useless in the iPod realm with 2.0, I was on the lookout for something that would let me control my ipod easily, charge the iPod, and require little wiring. I ended up purchasing the Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HO

I got it today and after brief use, I am absolutely THRILLED with it. The holder plugs directly into your cig lighter, and has a definite wiggle to it. Luckily, the wiggle doesn't seem to show up while driving on normal roads. Plugging in was a breeze. Your iPod/iPhone passes audio through the dock connector, so all you need to do is connect the Kensington's audio plug to your AUX plug in the car stereo.

When you dock your iPhone/iPod, you don't see any messages that say it wasn't designed for an iPhone, it just starts working. Did I mention it also includes a wireless remote that hooks onto your steering wheel?

Overall, I can't find much wrong with this thing, except I would have liked it to be a little stiffer, because over rocky roads I can possibly see this thing moving around.

If you are looking for an all-in-one solution to charging and playing your iPhone, I seriously suggest you look into the Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe. I was at the Apple Store today and saw a spot on their wall for it, but it was out of stock.

Good looking out, that product looks awesome. But based on your review and what another person said, I'm still a bit iffy about the whole wiggling thing.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I found my old Belkin TuneDok and the phone fits it!!

Edit: It fits naked but i decided i should have a case on it. I got the one Bimmerchop posted below-post#36, and that works even better since it's more eye level.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I would be very careful with using any car chargers and FM transmitters pre-3G release.

I only trust my local genius bar people (Ardmore PA, Apple Store), and they have confirmed that just about every single car charger/FM transmitter uses a "firewire bus" which is NOT compatible with the iPhone 3G. Even if it states on the box that it is "iPhone compatible" it still most likely uses a firewire bus. Apparently, there is only one car charger that is currently confirmed not to screw up your new iPhone, and I think it was one of the Belkins. Even if it says when you plug in the phone that it is working fine, it will apparently screw something up internally. I don't remember exactly what the created problem was.

Even going to another Apple store (King of Prussia PA, Apple Store), the concierge people and even genius bar people had no idea about the difference. And they were just telling people that everything that says "iPhone compatible" would work.

Give the genius bar at the Ardmore PA store a call if you can't take my word for it. They've already confirmed exchanging many phones (including one of the employees of the store) because of this problem.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I just purchased this from Amazon. (Kensington Car Charger Deluxe)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011ULQ1K

Apple store costs $49.99
But amazon has it for $36.89.

It works pretty well with a flexible goose-neck. It also comes with a auxiliary cable to plug into the car.

I would be real curious to know how this works.
Right now I have a monster AUX cable plugged into the universal dock. The problem is when I want to make a call I must lean down and mess with the phone as it sits in the center/floor of my truck.
I wish there was a dock option where I don't have to plug the giant monster cable in on the top of the phone. :(

jjahn

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
kensington car mount

I would be real curious to know how this works.
Right now I have a monster AUX cable plugged into the universal dock. The problem is when I want to make a call I must lean down and mess with the phone as it sits in the center/floor of my truck.
I wish there was a dock option where I don't have to plug the giant monster cable in on the top of the phone. :(

Unfortunately this model doesn't have AUX out from the docking station on the bottom. You do have to plug an AUX line out cable into the top of your iphone.

I'm actually returning this to get the the other model a previous poster got.
That one has AUX line out from the docking station at the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HO

But the downside is, it's double the price.

sossner

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
belkin f8z183 and parrot bluetooth

Here is a question I can't see to find answered.....

I use the parrot aftermarket bluetooth with the 3g. works great. I want to use a charger/fm transmitter..... should I expect any interferance?

If Im listening to a podcast or music on the fm transmitter will it go to the bluetooth call over the parrot?

What do you think?

RynoZebz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I would be very careful with using any car chargers and FM transmitters pre-3G release.

I only trust my local genius bar people (Ardmore PA, Apple Store), and they have confirmed that just about every single car charger/FM transmitter uses a "firewire bus" which is NOT compatible with the iPhone 3G. Even if it states on the box that it is "iPhone compatible" it still most likely uses a firewire bus. Apparently, there is only one car charger that is currently confirmed not to screw up your new iPhone, and I think it was one of the Belkins. Even if it says when you plug in the phone that it is working fine, it will apparently screw something up internally. I don't remember exactly what the created problem was.

Even going to another Apple store (King of Prussia PA, Apple Store), the concierge people and even genius bar people had no idea about the difference. And they were just telling people that everything that says "iPhone compatible" would work.

Give the genius bar at the Ardmore PA store a call if you can't take my word for it. They've already confirmed exchanging many phones (including one of the employees of the store) because of this problem.

I think you're freaking out over nothing. It's not going to damage the phone. The problem is that a lot of the later iPod chargers would allow charging for both USB and Firewire devices. Now the iPhone 3G only supports USB. If you have a device that supports both it will no longer work since the phone seems to pick up on the firewire support. It reads it as a device that won't work... or won't charge, rather. However I'm fairly certain any USB car charger would work fine. I bought a cheap no name brand one of eBay and it works great. The USB cable is separate from the part you actually put into the cig lighter. You plug the USB into that and connect the iPhone and the phone basically just sees it as you're powering from a USB source. Just my two cents.

amazingdave

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
deh-p700bt

I just got the deh-p700bt too.

seems to work well so far. The interface of the stereo is a little confusing though. Had some difficulty pairing my phone, but it seems to work well.

metec

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
For anyone interested in the Keningston LiquidAUX Deluxe, ANTOnline has it for 68.74 plus 8 shipping. I got mine a few days ago and it works great. At first, it kept disconnecting fromm the iphone. There is a little plastic part that you can remove from the bottom where the connector is. I assume this is for when you are using a case. I took that plastic out and now it doesn't disconnect anymore. The remote is pretty good too.

Link

Edit: Nevermind, Amazon's free shipping makes it cheaper than Antonline

Planet Telex

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
+1 on the Griffin PowerJolt. A pretty decent car charger - I'm using it for my 3G and would recommend it.

As for mounting options, I picked the following unit up at BB and it works well to hold the iPhone in place. Depending on whether you have a cup holder handy, it is a decent non-permanent solution:
http://www.bracketron.com/main/index.php?catid=6&pid=22

Are there any issue with the volume button? I had a similar holder for ipods, but can't use it on the iphone.

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Picked this up the other day for something like $10 bucks, actually, I think it was less.... anyways, it gets the job done

img2658jk2.jpg

img2661mi0.jpg

img2662jz1.jpg

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Would you mind sharing a few more details...what's it called? who makes it? where did you buy it?

Honestly, I don't remember. I was in line at pepboys to pay for something, saw it on the display and grabbed it since it was cheap. I wasn't even expecting it to work well, but it does. I'm going back to pepboys this afternoon though, so I'll make sure to look for it again and post back tonight :)

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Would you mind sharing a few more details...what's it called? who makes it? where did you buy it?

Okay, sorry for not posting back last night, completely forgot. I did however go back to pepboys btw. I ended up getting another one for my girlfriends iPhone as well, so I even snapped a pic of the holder in it's original case.

mounthn5.jpg

Should be able to find it at your local pepboys or autozone for $10 :)

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
My thread for the Belkin Tunebase FM (Model F8Z183):
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/533581/

Works completely with the iPhone 3G.

@Sossner: My Tunebase transfers to my Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece just fine. It (the iPhone) fades the music out and everything goes through the the bluetooth earpiece except for the ringtone.

@Randman: Careful...some places in the US have ordinances against stuff stuck to the windshield and/or blocking the view below the rear view mirror. I got pulled over in South Dakota for hanging a pair of dog tags from my rear view mirror.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Okay, sorry for not posting back last night, completely forgot. I did however go back to pepboys btw. I ended up getting another one for my girlfriends iPhone as well, so I even snapped a pic of the holder in it's original case.

mounthn5.jpg

Cool - thank you! I will head there at lunch...

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
My problem is that my aux jack is in the center console. So if I got one of these dash or windshield mounts, I would have to have a cord stretching from there all the way to the center console. Fortunately, there is a charging receptacle next to the aux jack in the center console, but still I'm not sure what to do.

Currently I'm running the cord out of the center console and keeping the iPhone in the cupholder just outside the console next to me. This isn't ideal, as it's difficult to look down or pick up the phone and change anything.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
My problem is that my aux jack is in the center console. So if I got one of these dash or windshield mounts, I would have to have a cord stretching from there all the way to the center console. Fortunately, there is a charging receptacle next to the aux jack in the center console, but still I'm not sure what to do.

Currently I'm running the cord out of the center console and keeping the iPhone in the cupholder just outside the console next to me. This isn't ideal, as it's difficult to look down or pick up the phone and change anything.

Can you get like a 6' long headphone cord and run it discreetly from your dash to the center console?

I'm looking for an iPhone 3G specific car mounting solution, there are many generic solutions out there right now. I would really like a Pro-Clip solution but they don't have any iPhone 3G holders made yet.

jaypunkrawk

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Lewisville, TX

mounthn5.jpg

Just had to make sure everyone knows you drive a Beamer, eh?

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Just had to make sure everyone knows you drive a Beamer, eh?

:rolleyes: Right, my intentions exactly. Sorry for waiting until I got in my car to pull my purchase out of the bag to snap the pic... btw, it's spelled "bimmer". Next time I just won't go through the trouble for fellow members.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.