PDA

View Full Version : iBook Specs...

arn
May 17, 2002, 02:42 PM
Powerpage provides (http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=9368) specs for the upcoming iBooks:

* iBook G3 600 MHz, 128 MB, 20GB, 12", CD-ROM - US$1199
* iBook G3 700 MHz, 128 MB, 20GB, 12", CD-RW/DVD - US$1499
* iBook G3 700 MHz, 256 MB, 30GB, 14", CD-RW/DVD - US$1799

SPG
May 17, 2002, 02:52 PM
If true Then damn.
Speed bumps are nice, but how sweet would a G4 12" iBook be?
CDR/DVD 40gig drive. $1500-$1600 That's my very portable dream machine based on existing components.

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by SPG
If true Then damn.
CDR/DVD 40gig drive. $1500-$1600 That's my very portable dream machine based on existing components.

I agree, but we have to stop setting ourselves up for letdowns. There will not be G5's in NY, there will not be G4's in iBook till after SF. The G4 is too much for a consumber laptop in a speedbump. It would require a total redesign of the mother board.

SPG
May 17, 2002, 03:06 PM
I'd be surprised if the ibook goes to a G4, pleasantly surprised and $1499 poorer, but still surprised. I don't however think it's beyond Apple's abilities to redesign a Mobo, it's more a question of will at this point.

djniche
May 17, 2002, 03:09 PM
this sound about right for apples specs go
but very dissapointing if they are true...

g3 should be left behind with almost the whole line of G4's based
with G5 coming to the powermac in july (hopefully)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 03:14 PM
Not very impressive specs. But if they pull out a better video card, it might be worth while and would make it a better upgrade all around. What's up with the 1 GHz G3s that IBMs got? They too expensive or is it something else?

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by djniche
this sound about right for apples specs go
but very dissapointing if they are true...

g3 should be left behind with almost the whole line of G4's based
with G5 coming to the powermac in july (hopefully)

Ugh!!! Listen carefully, I want to be clear on this. There will not be any G5's in July!!!! It will be SF 2003 or later!!!!

Please understand that the iBook is a consumer and education laptop, and those specs are great! My G3 600 iBook is very fast for what I do. You don't run Photoshop on an iBook think of the screen.

fbcfabric
May 17, 2002, 03:21 PM
well, an extra 100MHz is always nice, but ill be a bit dismayed if apple sticks with 128MB of RAM in the lower two models...

obviously OSX will run on 128MB, but have you tried it?

when these machines are clearly aimed at newbies and students as well as existing mac users (who know about these things), wont they feel like they are using ancient slow monsters running OSX on 128MB RAM?

if you talk to people who dont have much of a history with computers they expect them to adhere to the same rules as any other expensive purchase like a HiFi or a TV - they wont realize that they just bought something that needs upgrading right away. its this sort of pan-handling that gives technology in general a bad name...

also, isnt IBM making 1GHz+ G3s these days? you would have thought that if the G3 days are numbered in iBooks, that apple may as well use the best they can get...

...then again 'upgrading' the 1.2GHz G3 iBook to an 800MHz G4 when the time comes might not look so good :)

mcrain
May 17, 2002, 03:30 PM
Spymac is reporting a rumor of an iBook SE model with a G4, however plausible that may be.

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Spymac is reporting a rumor of an iBook SE model with a G4, however plausible that may be.

Now I can see that, but G4's across the board? Noway!

I could see a
G4 667 with a 14.1 inch screen, 256 MB, and 20 GB Hard drive for 1899.00.

Waddya think Mcrain?

mcrain
May 17, 2002, 03:57 PM
Right now I'd kill for the new Tibook, but might consider a G4 ibook. I refuse to buy a G3 anything.

Biggles
May 17, 2002, 04:02 PM
I'd love an iBook SE...sounds nice and purdy :). i just hope they keep the 12' screen.

Quadari
May 17, 2002, 04:06 PM
I think that it is silly for people to be lamenting the fact that they are not G4s. If you really want a G4 then get a TiBook. As far as I can tell OSX runs perfectly fine on the G3. Sure you can't do massive video editing, but if you're doing that, you probably shouldn't have bought an iBook. For students and the consumer market at large the iBook is perfect.

I think, from the point of view of myself and for Apple, that it is much more important to keep the iBooks at as low cost as possible. That way more people will think about buying them. The best part about them is that they are Apples, small, and fairly inexpensive.

pianojoe
May 17, 2002, 04:08 PM
Well, the current iBook motherboard supports up to 800 MHz G3s. I'd love to see that.

cleo
May 17, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by arn
Powerpage provides (http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=9368) specs for the upcoming iBooks:

* iBook G3 600 MHz, 128 MB, 20GB, 12", CD-ROM - US$1199
* iBook G3 700 MHz, 128 MB, 20GB, 12", CD-RW/DVD - US$1499
* iBook G3 700 MHz, 256 MB, 30GB, 14", CD-RW/DVD - US$1799

What with putting the real power only in the 14"? (More RAM, larger HD). Could they be trying to phase out the 12" by insinuating that it's "low-end"?

I'll keep my G3 600 with a 12" over a G4 (one day) 14" any day!

rainman::|:|
May 17, 2002, 04:39 PM
Ah great... RJ just emailed me from work, he decided we are to get an iBook... first chance to get a new computer in years, and i had to tell him no. There's no reason for the iBook line to still be on G3's, especially when they're not even 800MHz. face it people, this iBook is a year obsolete already, even for a consumer model. We cannot afford a TiBook, much as i would kill for one... So we'll either be going iMac or none, and it's probably the latter, since he wants portability.

I tried suggesting we get an inverter in the car, the dome could sit between your legs (kinda) and it would be semi-portable... hehehe...

anyway, i know this is going to get me flamed, but COME ON apple, the iBook is LONG due for a G4! Motherboard redesign or not, they should be putting out cutting-edge computers even for consumers. Look at the iMac... it seems Apple is telling consumers who need portability to bugger off...

:mad:
pnw

DakotaGuy
May 17, 2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Now I can see that, but G4's across the board? Noway!

I could see a
G4 667 with a 14.1 inch screen, 256 MB, and 20 GB Hard drive for 1899.00.

Waddya think Mcrain?

If they did that why in the hell would anyone buy a G4 667 Ti Book for hundreds more??????????

mywar2000
May 17, 2002, 04:57 PM
Bus speed, ddr

still doesn't seem enough to justify the price difference I guess.

PixelBoy
May 17, 2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Quadari
Sure you can't do massive video editing, but if you're doing that, you probably shouldn't have bought an iBook. <snip> The best part about them is that they are Apples, small, and fairly inexpensive.

I use my ice500 for FinalCutPro editing and it works just fine. I use an external portable firewire 40GB drive for the video. Works great, and when I'm over at my friends I just plug the drive into his Dual G4 and continue working... I bought the iBook because it had the combo drive and was in my price range (the TiBook was too expensive). I love the small form-factor and the 12" screen. I saw the 14" at MWSF and it was a frankenstein machine... They needed to put a 13" in the 12" enclosure not make it big and bulky to use a 14". The latest TiBook looks good though, but still too expensive. The iBook does need either a G4 or a QuartzExtreme compatible video card though...

mr.w
May 17, 2002, 05:13 PM
What about that ebook idea... how about (G3) 700mhz ebook, and a (G4) 667 ibook... that would be a great marketing plan for Apple (think about it). They would get what they crave (fan support & income) ... and so would we (2 great new computers). just an idea.

maiku
May 17, 2002, 05:20 PM
Pathetic...
Why is Apple still using G3s? What about a 500mhz G4 with 100mhz bus
and a graphics card that would support all the features of OS 10.2 (i.e. Quatrz Extreme) Is that too much to ask? What's that Steve? You need fuel for your personal jet? Oh Sorry, I forgot....

dongmin
May 17, 2002, 05:24 PM
I'd argue the main reason for keeping the iBooks with the G3 is to distinguish them from the Tibooks.

They're in a tricky spot b/c they need to go to at least 700 mhz for it to be a perceived upgrade and to make it a G4 would be to close the gap too much. I don't think they'll go to the G4 until the TiBooks get a significant boost. Maybe next time, they'll bump up the TiBooks to 1 ghz and bring the iBook up to 800 mhz G4.

sjs
May 17, 2002, 05:30 PM
Why do we call it a "new" iBook (or any other Apple computer) when they just give a small speed bump? Or even if they also improve the graphics card?

Its not "new" or any other word like that. Its the same machine with an upgrade so small as to really deserve just a passing notice. If this constitutes an "event" we seriously need to get a life.

iMac was new. eMac was new. PowerMac and TiBook changes this year have just been blips...an attempt to catch up that really barely keeps up.

Call this flame bait if you like, but facts are facts. If the rumor is true, this isnt a headline, its barely worthy of a thread.

SPG
May 17, 2002, 05:56 PM
sjs, I hear you. A speed bump is not even news, but if it's more than a speed bump than it is worthy of speculation at least.

rubikcube
May 17, 2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy

If they did that why in the hell would anyone buy a G4 667 Ti Book for hundreds more??????????

You can't be serious! Do you understand anything other than Mhz? There are a million other things to consider. Bigger screen. Higher resolution. Gigabit ethernet. Dual display-via DVI. 1 Mb of DDR cache. The iBook can't match that. It won't ever match that. You aren't going to see an iBook with those specs for a very long time.

Brad Nelson

Catfish_Man
May 17, 2002, 06:17 PM
... IBM has NOT released a 1GHz G3. They have announced the 750fx, which apparently will be introduced at 800MHz, and get to 1GHz a little bit later. It isn't shipping, and if rumor is true, won't be at 1GHz when it ships.

blakespot
May 17, 2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by cleo

What with putting the real power only in the 14"? (More RAM, larger HD). Could they be trying to phase out the 12" by insinuating that it's "low-end"?

How's that??

You mean the extra 128MB RAM and 10GB of HD space?? Real power??

The 12" is not going anywhere.

blakespot

blakespot
May 17, 2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by maiku
Pathetic...
Why is Apple still using G3s?
Because they don't want it to compete with the PowerBook G4.

blakespot

blakespot
May 17, 2002, 06:40 PM
I am going going to get an iBook in a couple of months. If they are not speed bumped, I still will be getting one (though I am sure that by MWNY at the latest, they will be speedbumped, prob. Tuesday.) The main items on my wishlist for the bump are...

1) 100MHz bus. The lowend iBook has a 66MHz bus, presently.

2) Faster video. I would rather see beefier video hardware on a 600MHz G3 then the current video hardware on a 733MHz iBook.

I think these will likely both be addressed in the bump. The only concern I have now is price. I would be getting, if I purchased from the current selection, the $1299 500MHz unit w/ DVD. I hope there is something akin to this sitting at the $1299 pricepoint. I would be hard pressed to purchase a $1499 unit to get the extra 100MHz, given that I have _no_ use for CD-RW functionality in my iBook (I have a DP G4 800 w/ that capability sitting on my desk).

It's interesting. My main motivation in getting the iBook is just to be able to carry OS X with me. As if to have it ready to use as an aide in explaining the fineness of OS X. I have no "need" for the unit, in practical terms. Talk about getting caught up in the spirit of it all. Ahh well, a nice place to be.

Now we'll have to see how much funding (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2025187780) I can scrounge...

blakespot

cleo
May 17, 2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by blakespot

How's that??

You mean the extra 128MB RAM and 10GB of HD space?? Real power??

The 12" is not going anywhere.

You're right; it was a poor choice of words. But there's a huge performance jump from 128 MB to 256 MB RAM (I know from personal experience with my iBook). Why not make this a standard option on the 12" iBooks as well?

blakespot
May 17, 2002, 06:43 PM

You're right; it was a poor choice of words. But there's a huge performance jump from 128 MB to 256 MB RAM (I know from personal experience with my iBook). Why not make this a standard option on the 12" iBooks as well?
Just add more after the fact. A memory purchase after the purchase of the computer itself doesn't count, financially, anyway.

blakespot

j763
May 17, 2002, 06:53 PM
Stop b**ching and whining about the iBook. A G3 is a perfectly good chip... If you want a g4 buy a tibook. the iBook does everything fine. Sure, it's a bit disappointing about the ATI Rage Mobility 128 (only 8mb) and Quartz Extreme. But all in all, the iBook's the best portable computer you can get in its price range.

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by maiku
Pathetic...
Why is Apple still using G3s? What about a 500mhz G4 with 100mhz bus
and a graphics card that would support all the features of OS 10.2 (i.e. Quatrz Extreme) Is that too much to ask? What's that Steve? You need fuel for your personal jet? Oh Sorry, I forgot....

OK, get a clue. What do you really think would be faster at real world apps, like surfing the net, and typing in word, playing MP3's etc. a 500 MHZ G4, or a 700 MHZ G3? If you think the G4, then I have some ocean front property in Kansas that I would like to talk to you about.

Please, post your opinion, but don't post flamebait.

rjsen
May 17, 2002, 07:05 PM
The high-end iMac has the same processor (800Mhz G4) as the low-end PowerMac. I don't see why they couldn't do the same thing with iBooks and PowerBooks.

For example, what about:
550Mhz/12.1"/128MB/CD/20GB for $1399
550Mhz/12.1"/256MB/combo/30GB for $1699
667Mhz/14.1"/256MB/combo/30GB for $1999

Of course, they still couldn't have the L3 cache of the PowerBooks and would have an inferior video chipset (maybe Rage128 Mobility with 16MB). They'd also run on a 100Mhz bus isntead of 133Mhz. And, of course, there's always the screen -- even the 14.1" doesn't really compare to the new 15.2".

That would seem to differentiate them enough from the PowerBooks not to cannibalize sales, but still allow them to have G4s (which seem necessary at this point from a marketing perspective).

Just a thought.

rice_web
May 17, 2002, 07:22 PM
Here's something I posted over at MacWorld's Forums:
------------------------------
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down, everyone.
First, the Sahara (the 750FX) from IBM will NOT be used in the upcoming iBooks. This is not because the G3 is dead, but rather because the Sahara is a far better processor than those of equal processor speed from Motorola (the Sahara picks up over 2000 MIPS, nearly five times a single 800MHz G4).

Second, a G3 coupled with a 32MB video card will run OS X fine, granted that the upcoming version of OS X supports Quartz Extreme. The iBooks should receive the Mobility Radeon 7500.

Third, a 133MHz system bus would be the nicest of upgrades available. Not that it is feasible without a Sahara processor, but a G3 at 733MHz and a 133MHz system bus should be appealing enough.

So, here is my wish (and maybe a bit of a guess):

- 533 and 733MHz G3s
- 133MHz system buses
- ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32MB video
- 15 and 20GB Hard Drive
- 128 and 256MB RAM
- Option of 12" or 14" screen

That would do it. I think that those specifications alone would lure in new buyers, until a major revision of the iBook with a G4 is released around the Holidays.
-------------------------------------

That's just my wishlist. The improved video card is likely the biggest setback in the iBook right now (especially in OS X). The increased bus speed would be nice to see, even if higher than the current iMac.

Kid Red
May 17, 2002, 07:46 PM

I'll keep my G3 600 with a 12" over a G4 (one day) 14" any day!

You must not run X, or any app very processor or memory hunger. If you did, you would never settle or prefer a G3 to a G4. That's like wanting a Yugo over a Mercedes, just plain ridiculous.

Kid Red
May 17, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

OK, get a clue. What do you really think would be faster at real world apps, like surfing the net, and typing in word, playing MP3's etc. a 500 MHZ G4, or a 700 MHZ G3? If you think the G4, then I have some ocean front property in Kansas that I would like to talk to you about.

Please, post your opinion, but don't post flamebait.

Using real world apps in X, yes it would. Not to mention using X at all. If you think a 700 mhz G3 with 100mhz bus is faster running X then a 500mhz G4 then I have some farm land in The Everglades that I would like to talk to you about.

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red

You must not run X, or any app very processor or memory hunger. If you did, you would never settle or prefer a G3 to a G4. That's like wanting a Yugo over a Mercedes, just plain ridiculous.

Yea, Vitural PC is very processor and hard drive intensive, altivec enabled, and dual aware, and yet not much faster than on a G4. Actually, for what the iBook is for, your answer is no. She doesn't. She will be running photoshop soon, but that still is not unuseable on a G3.

yea a G4 can do a render in 1 minute and the G3 may take 1.5 or 2 minutes. Is that the end of the world? At least she has a Mac. The only people that care about the 30 seconds are the uber geeks, and pros, and the iBook is for neither.

nathany
May 17, 2002, 09:27 PM
Everyone seems to think that because the iMac has a G4 chip, the iBook will too. But in the desktop space, G4 towers are still differentiated by having dual-processor capability. Also from a marketing stand-point, a higher Mhz G3 sounds better to the uneducated than a lower Mhz G4 - and compares better to the Wintel systems. If it means a cooler running and longer battery life - I'd prefer the G3 any day.

Apple continues to optimize and smooth out OS X. Things like the sluggish behavior of live window resizing will be remedied (in 10.1.5 I think).

Now that the Powerbook has a Radeon 7500, it makes sense for the previous generation Radeon to be in the iBook. Especially because Quartz Extreme doesn't work on a Rage 128. Considering that the iBook doesn't support dual-monitors (other than mirroring), the 16MB of RAM should be fine. Indeed, all the previous-model Ti owners won't be left out in the cold because of "only" 16MB VRAM - 32 is just a recommendation.

Offloading work to the graphics card will also mean that Altivec isn't necessary for blending and compositing.

I don't quite see the point of the 14" iBook. For the extra money/size/weight, why not spend a bit more and get a low-end Powerbook?

I like my 12" iBook, and hope that the "high end" features like 8x8x8x combo drive and large HDD are included in it.

I wish for a cooler running iBook - the new Powerbook has redesigned cooling and is apparently a fair bit better.

A bit thinner and lighter would be nice, and I think integrating Bluetooth and Airport on the Motherboard makes a great deal of sense.

I have my doubts that they will come out Tuesday, or anytime before MWNY. But I suppose it is possible. They could still come out with DDR towers and bump the iMac chip/video at MWNY - and perhaps come out with the rumored iBook SE then as well (slot-loading, audio-in, S-Video out?).

- n8

robbyd
May 17, 2002, 09:30 PM
i wonder if apple would change the case to make it more durable and scratch resistant...

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red

Using real world apps in X, yes it would. Not to mention using X at all. If you think a 700 mhz G3 with 100mhz bus is faster running X then a 500mhz G4 then I have some farm land in The Everglades that I would like to talk to you about.

Well look at these.
http://www.barefeats.com/pb08.html
http://www.barefeats.com/pb05.html

considering that the G3 500 iBook ran right with the G4 400. I would feel very comfortable saying that a G3 700 iBook with a 100 MHZ bus would best a 500 MHZ G4 with a 133 mhz bus. Plus, use less power, generate less heat, and most important. It is cheaper.

Next....

edenwaith
May 17, 2002, 10:00 PM
It looks like the iBooks are getting marginally better, but nothing which would cause people to jump out of their pants and run downtown to get one while half-way naked. It looks like they are getting into the rut the iBooks were in before they were redesigned. The next step is to probably upgrade to a G4 processor....maybe USB 2 ports, also.

However, it seems to make some sense that Apple wouldn't upgrade to a G4 yet, because if they did, the iBooks might be more powerful than their more expensive PowerBook siblings.

But, if the hardware upgrade around November is similar to this one, then it might be decent enough of a machine for what I would like to trade in my current iBook (and perhaps my PowerMac G4 400MHz, too). What I'd like to see is a $1199 system with at least 20 GB hard drive and a CD-RW drive. MHz of 600+ would also be nice.

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by edenwaith
It looks like the iBooks are getting marginally better, but nothing which would cause people to jump out of their pants and run downtown to get one while half-way naked. It looks like they are getting into the rut the iBooks were in before they were redesigned. The next step is to probably upgrade to a G4 processor....maybe USB 2 ports, also.

However, it seems to make some sense that Apple wouldn't upgrade to a G4 yet, because if they did, the iBooks might be more powerful than their more expensive PowerBook siblings.

But, if the hardware upgrade around November is similar to this one, then it might be decent enough of a machine for what I would like to trade in my current iBook (and perhaps my PowerMac G4 400MHz, too). What I'd like to see is a $1199 system with at least 20 GB hard drive and a CD-RW drive. MHz of 600+ would also be nice.

Ok.
A few things. First the iBook does have 2 USB ports. Second it is a powerful little sucker for its size. Third, people have ran out and bought it in droves. Fourth, what iBook do you have? Fifth, you can get a 600 combo drive with a 20 gig new for 1499 right now and refurbed from Apple for 1249. Seems like they are already making the system you want.

Now, keep your pants on, and rush to the nearest Apple store. :p

TyleRomeo
May 18, 2002, 01:11 AM
easy Backtothemac
he i think he wanted to say two USB 2.0 ports
not 2 USB 1.1 ports

its a minor misunderstanding

easy with the flame thrower

dekator
May 18, 2002, 02:34 AM
Kid Red wrote:

Using real world apps in X, yes it would. Not to mention using X at all. If you think a 700 mhz G3 with 100mhz bus is faster running X then a 500mhz G4 ...

<sigh> It all depends on what you use your computer for. Until shortly, I was an ardent "G4 only" guy, too. Now, I got an iBook 500 and have to say that it runs fantastic. The essential thing to make it run smoothly is RAM (I've got 320MB).
While my desktop machine is a G4 and for its only 400 Mhz is *extremely* powerful, the G3 iBook runs just perfectly. Though I doubt the 15+ apps I'm running simultaneously on the G4 would leave the iBook in as good a shape as the G4, for the usual things you do with an iBook, there are no performance trade offs. Indeed, I was surprised to see OS X run *that* fast and smoothly on the iBook (hardly slower than 9). And... 10.2 is sweet and *very* fast on the iBook too... :)

Backtothemac
May 18, 2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
easy Backtothemac
he i think he wanted to say two USB 2.0 ports
not 2 USB 1.1 ports

its a minor misunderstanding

easy with the flame thrower

Flame thrower? Hey, I didn't even pick one up. Just pointing out a few observations to the young lad. Believe me that was not flamebait, just a very mild observation session. ;)

TyleRomeo
May 18, 2002, 10:28 AM
hehe allright man just making sure

peterjhill
May 18, 2002, 02:25 PM
Who would want a G3 iBook? My wife would be quite happy with one. Right now she is using an old HP P166 Desktop and looks at my Ti800 and is jealous that I have a way faster computer with a screen that is almost as big as hers that I can use while watching TV. I think she would like a 14" iBook more than the 12" one, but for checking her email and doing some iPhoto, I think the iBook will be quite enough for the price.

mariner77
May 18, 2002, 07:34 PM
My biggest complaint with the current iBook is the display. Not that it is too small (though a 13 inch display would sure be nice), rather, it's not bright enough and doesn't have enough constrast!!! actually, I have the same complaint with my PBG4 as well. if apple can double the brightness and the contrast, I'd be very happy. on a related issue, the graphic chip is just embrassingly slow in this day and age. I agree Mobility 7500 should be used but I'd settle for a Radeon Mobility with 32 MB of VRAM. I have no complaint, however, regarding the use of the G3 chip. Sure the G4 is faster on somethings but look at how little power the G3 uses!!! Those of you who asks for G4 just have never heard the roaring buzz of the fan in the PBG4. Try using it for a day with SETI@Home running in the background, it'll drive you crazy. I'd go with a 1GHz 750FX (<8watts) over a 667 MHz G4 (>15watts) anyday (in a iBook). finally, I love the iBook (12 inch) form factor and I hope apple will keep it.

oh yea, I want a DVI out on iBook!!!!

blackpeter
May 18, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by SPG
If true Then damn.

Ditto. The G3 is dead to me.

reflex
May 19, 2002, 05:34 AM
I hope Apple keep the 12" screen and formfactor, it's a defining feature of the current iBook. Not to mention it's the main reason I'm going to buy my first mac ever.

Pants
May 19, 2002, 07:17 AM
the best upgrade they could possibly do, is to PUT THE USB PORTS ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE iBOOK!!!

most of the world is right handed, and running an apple mouse with the small cables from the left to the right is an ergonomic joke! :)

rice_web
May 19, 2002, 08:50 AM
I concur with the USB on the right side argument, to an extent. Why can't Apple just put one or two more USB ports on the iBook, and extend its reach into the digital hub? Two on the left, two on the right?

crassusad44
May 19, 2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by rice_web
I concur with the USB on the right side argument, to an extent. Why can't Apple just put one or two more USB ports on the iBook, and extend its reach into the digital hub? Two on the left, two on the right?

Don't think there is room for it (battery + CD/DVD-drive), but one extra USB port on the other side would be perfect. I'm totally with you Pants. USB ports on the left side only, is not only a joke, it's insane....

mr.w
May 19, 2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by rice_web

Why not in the back, like the tiBook, or G3 powerbook? Everyone would be happy then.

Matt_d
May 19, 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Right now I'd kill for the new Tibook, but might consider a G4 ibook. I refuse to buy a G3 anything.

I agree g3 is now 5 or so years old. :( Old technology is not up to the standard of the newer chip sets. 1ghz ibook on the other hand with a decent video card well that may be almost worth it.:cool:

reflex
May 20, 2002, 03:09 AM
As far as specs are concerned:
http://www.costcentral.com/browse.php?CategoryID=53&ParentID=18&CPUCode=G3

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Matt_d

I agree g3 is now 5 or so years old. :( Old technology is not up to the standard of the newer chip sets. 1ghz ibook on the other hand with a decent video card well that may be almost worth it.:cool:

Well, while you guys wait for something that may be more than a year off, I will sit here and continue to love life on my iBook 600 G3 with 384 MB Ram. It is a really fast little machine in both 9, 10.1, and yes, 10.2.

Quartz Extreme.... we don't need no stinking quartz extreme.....