PDA

View Full Version : Apple Superbowl Ad 2004?

MacRumors
Dec 22, 2003, 09:08 PM
Last month's print version of Advertising Age (http://www.adage.com/) reported that Apple was in talks with their Advertising agency, TBWA/Chiat/Day, about developing a 20th Anniversary Superbowl Advertisement "that would be reminiscent of "1984".

The "1984" Apple ad marked the introduction of the Macintosh and was originally aired during half-time at the 1984 Superbowl. The "1984" television ad has received critical acclaim, won numerous awards, and is ranked 12th (http://www.adage.com/century/campaigns.html) amongst AdAge's Top 100 Advertising Campaigns of the 20th Century.

Due to the expense, however, there was reportedly some consideration to simply rerunning the "1984" ad. Concerns that younger viewers may not recognize the reference were, however, raised.

Apple had not purchased any Superbowl advertising spots at the time the Adage article (Pay Content) (http://www.adage.com/articles.cms?articleId=42792) was published.

Regardless, Apple will at least appear in Pepsi-purchased advertisements which will air during the 2004 Superbowl to launch the Pepsi's 100 million iTunes song promotion (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031016151548.shtml).

Thanks to AppleMatters.com (http://www.applematters.com/) for referencing the original Advertising Age article.

MGnards
Dec 22, 2003, 09:16 PM
well, if there's no apple ad, there goes my reason for watching the superbowl... i wonder if i can set tivo to keep commercials and delete the program...

crees!
Dec 22, 2003, 09:16 PM
I personally would like to see an all Apple ad.

richie
Dec 22, 2003, 09:36 PM
The problem is, I wouldn't want them to run an ad that tried to hark back to the 1984 ad, but failed, thus tainting the original ad.

Awimoway
Dec 22, 2003, 09:37 PM
I personally think the original ad is more relevant than ever. Just change the person on the big screen to Bill Gates.

balconycollapse
Dec 22, 2003, 09:38 PM
I'd love to see an apple ad! I had a theory for a while that maybe the silhouettes in the iPod ads were famous musicians or singers (notice the seperation ^_^). Like a few of them could easily be Lenny Kravitz, Christina Aguilera etc. It would have been rad to have them emerge from the darkness to see who they really were in some superbowl commercials. I'm giving up on this theory as I wouldn't want Apple to get endorsements from melonheads like Aguilera, but mostly cause Frank Black is a little too round these days to be one of the silhouttes.

-----
"we are not meant to be cogs in a system"
-howard dean

fatbarstard
Dec 22, 2003, 09:40 PM
That was the best ad ever... 20 years and little else comes close to the mark!!

As for rumours... by the time the news filters through to the mainstream press its more than passe on sites like these... don't even bother reading the article..

As for what's coming.....

Refreshing the G5 line... yeah whatever..., new iPods... yeah wahtever...., more iTMS stuff... all good...

What's the new thing?? What is the rabbit that is going to be pulled out of the hat?? What is the next iPod?? Anyone??

Like Snagglepuss...... exits, stage left.....

bignumbers
Dec 22, 2003, 09:40 PM
The "1984" ad is the best ad ever made. What's amazing is it only ran once, and is still the 12th highest-ranked campaign ever.

I've always been amazed and shocked that Apple didn't recycle the ad. I've got a nice local copy (don't remember where I found it, but it's around if you look), and view it now and then with amazement.

In 1984 it was a view of Big Brother, using IBM as Big Brother. Now we have Microsoft. The ad is perfectly appropriate now. Just change the narration and text at the end to a generic Apple promo and it's fine. It won't say "1984", because (as someone said) many people won't get the reference today. But something could be written to mean the same thing.

As a 60-second ad it won't be cheap during the Super Bowl. I don't care if they run it then or not (although it would be cool). They just need to use it.

york2600
Dec 22, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by richie
The problem is, I wouldn't want them to run an ad that tried to hark back to the 1984 ad, but failed, thus tainting the original ad.

It was the lemmings ad and it was a complete failure. They promoted it like mad and no one liked it.

crees!
Dec 22, 2003, 09:44 PM
Anyone know where someone like myself could find this 1984 ad? Does Apple have it archived on their site?

tny
Dec 22, 2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by bignumbers
The "1984" ad is the best ad ever made. What's amazing is it only ran once, and is still the 12th highest-ranked campaign ever.

I've always been amazed and shocked that Apple didn't recycle the ad. I've got a nice local copy (don't remember where I found it, but it's around if you look), and view it now and then with amazement.

In 1984 it was a view of Big Brother, using IBM as Big Brother. Now we have Microsoft. The ad is perfectly appropriate now. Just change the narration and text at the end to a generic Apple promo and it's fine. It won't say "1984", because (as someone said) many people won't get the reference today. But something could be written to mean the same thing.

As a 60-second ad it won't be cheap during the Super Bowl. I don't care if they run it then or not (although it would be cool). They just need to use it.

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing the 1984 ad running at other times than just the Superbowl.

Jerry Spoon
Dec 22, 2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by crees!
Anyone know where someone like myself could find this 1984 ad? Does Apple have it archived on their site?

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

One of many places.

Jerry Spoon
Dec 22, 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by tny
I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing the 1984 ad running at other times than just the Superbowl.

I believe it ran locally in one or two places and I've seen it in reference to "best ads of all time" things, but I don't believe it ever ran nationally again.

Anyone else know differently.

tny
Dec 22, 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by crees!

Now that I've cached a local copy ....

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

And please note that there are no direct references to IBM in the ad (though we all knew who they were talking about).

BTW, look at the audience at the end of the ad. Now, think about those G5 ads.

[edit: missed Jerry Spoon's posting of this link.
]

arn
Dec 22, 2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
I believe it ran locally in one or two places and I've seen it in reference to "best ads of all time" things, but I don't believe it ever ran nationally again.

"Officially" it only ran once.

Unofficially, it was run on some local cable station in the wee hours of the morning to get it officially aired for consideration for the next ad awards or something. (I don't remember the details).

But beyond those two times, those were the only two times it was actually run "paid". News shows etc... ran it, of course... but that doesn't count

arn

ITR 81
Dec 22, 2003, 10:02 PM
Pepsi have just started showing pre-superbowl commericals.

Basically just shows the football stadium with football sfx in the background and states are you ready for this yrs football game? Then pauses and says we are.
The screen then goes black with the Pepsi logo on it.

This to me say Pepsi is going to have a big commerical for the Superbowl when they have pre-superbowl commerials already on tv now.

Doctor Q
Dec 22, 2003, 10:11 PM
I think the 1984 commercial was great, although many think it made the wrong point at the time for a company that wanted to be accepted into the business world. Business users wanted compatibility (read: conformity) because it was safer, just as buying IBM was the safest decision for computer purchases. At the time, they said "nobody was ever fired for buying IBM" and today it applies to Wintel and Microsoft. Personally, I'm glad Apple has never lost the rebel/cool factor.

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 10:28 PM
I don't care if Apple reruns the ad, or shows a new one, but I definitely think an ad during the SuperBowl would be simply amazing! Can't wait to hear more about this one.

Oh, and I had never seen the original ad before - thanks to the members who posted the link here, it was pretty cool!

skymac
Dec 22, 2003, 10:47 PM
Wow, kinda makes me wanna read the book for some reason. But holy crat i wish i was alive to have seen that add. Of course even if apple were to make an ad our stupid cable companys would block it out like they do to every good superbowl add in the history of SB ads. All ive ever seen up here is crap during the SB.:mad:
Oh well I'm still looking forward to the game. A 20th anniversary add would be a pretty good idea for apple. Re-Broadcasting the old one first may not be such a bad idea either. I dunno

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by skymac
Wow, kinda makes me wanna read the book for some reason. But holy crat i wish i was alive to have seen that add. Of course even if apple were to make an ad our stupid cable companys would block it out like they do to every good superbowl add in the history of SB ads. All ive ever seen up here is crap during the SB.:mad:
Oh well I'm still looking forward to the game. A 20th anniversary add would be a pretty good idea for apple. Re-Broadcasting the old one first may not be such a bad idea either. I dunno

The book is amazing, I've read it twice actually - one of my all-time favorites.

As for not even being alive to see the ad, geez, you're making me feel old and I'm only 25! ;)

idkew
Dec 22, 2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by skymac

dude! do read 1984. makes you very suspicious!!

Doctor Q
Dec 22, 2003, 11:06 PM
What does Superbowl air time cost this year? Maybe Apple shouldn't blow a year's worth of the advertising budget on one ad!

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
What does Superbowl air time cost this year? Maybe Apple shouldn't blow a year's worth of the advertising budget on one ad!

Maybe Apple can just spend the profit they made on the 1100 Virginia Tech G5 PowerMacs for the ad. :cool:

ITR 81
Dec 22, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
The book is amazing, I've read it twice actually - one of my all-time favorites.

As for not even being alive to see the ad, geez, you're making me feel old and I'm only 25! ;)

Alot new movies have copied the 1984 ad. Watch the ad and then watch Equilibrium and you'll see what I mean.

I remember seeing the orig. 1984 add when it first aired and I was only 6 and half yrs old. It was replayed a couple more times on those *Best ever commerical shows*.

I could imagine the 04' stand alone commerical could be sortof like the 1984 commerical only updated and tweaked up a couple of notches or we could see an add they show cases all Apple products and uses in real life.

ITR 81
Dec 22, 2003, 11:57 PM

One good Superbowl ad is as good if not better then 5-6 avg commericals throughout the yr.
Reason being folks talk about it the very next day and if it's catchy it becomes a fad all yr long. Remember the Budweiser Waaasaabiii ad's?? It was the catch phrase for the rest of the yr.

iomar
Dec 23, 2003, 12:39 AM
I think the rerun of 1984 ad is a bad idea.

Doctor Q
Dec 23, 2003, 12:52 AM
How 'bout an ad with three frogs in a pond looking at an Apple Store on the shore. The first frog says "eyyyyyyyye", then the second frog says "poddddddddd", then the third frog says "Apple iTunes Music Storrrrrrrrrre"? ;)

http://www.colmackcrafts.com/jpegs/frogs/budweiser4x6.jpg

ITR 81
Dec 23, 2003, 01:06 AM
The BUD ferret kicked ass.

bdkennedy1
Dec 23, 2003, 02:12 AM
I'm actually kind of tired of Apple spending millions of dollars on ad campaigns and they only air a couple of times. I saw the iPod ads once during normal viewing. So the 1984 ad was one of the best ads ever - advertising to a bunch of drunks during the superbowl. Where has it put Apple? 3% market share 20 years later.

moose.boy
Dec 23, 2003, 02:23 AM
Didn't the 1984 mac advert start teh whole trend for advertising during the superbowl (which initially was chosen because they couldn't get their first choice ISTR)

Therefore it wouldn't be unfeasable that some negotiations have occured with the people who run the superbowl and with pepsi to get dirt cheap (if not free) advert running during the bowl. Doing so would only increase demand for next year.

I wonder which director is doing the latest advert :)

reyesmac
Dec 23, 2003, 02:41 AM
If Apple has no new 20th anniversary Mac to sell it should not waste time reminding people that they have nothing new to sell.

alamar
Dec 23, 2003, 03:13 AM
Here is idea for a new ad
A cool song is playing. We see shot after quick intercuts of XP blazing through applicaions, throwing text around, playing music, running visualizations, surfing the internet, playing quake, chatting ect. Then it crashes to the Blue Screen of death. Then user hits alt-control-delete on an Apple brand keyboard (we see only hands) Changes to a remix of the background music on his iPod, minimizez his Windows emulator and...procedes to do each and every windows task he did with OSX, Same intercuts better version of the same song in the BG. We pull out to reveal that the user is....

I'm not sure. You guys think up celebs. I'll start with Gerorge Clinton, maybe James Bond. Maybe each time the ad plays its a differnt guy.

Anybody else have an idea?

Think Different Ads
:confused: :confused:

alamar
Dec 23, 2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by bdkennedy1
I'm actually kind of tired of Apple spending millions of dollars on ad campaigns and they only air a couple of times. I saw the iPod ads once during normal viewing. So the 1984 ad was one of the best ads ever - advertising to a bunch of drunks during the superbowl. Where has it put Apple? 3% market share 20 years later.

Call me cazy, but the slip to 3% has to do with more things than just that ad, or atleast i hope so.

Counterfit
Dec 23, 2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by alamar
Call me cazy, but the slip to 3% has to do with more things than just that ad, or atleast i hope so. Well, Crazy, you're right ;)

ITR 81
Dec 23, 2003, 04:03 AM
The 1984 ad had nothing to do with the slip of marketshare. From 1984 and throught he late 80's Apple held 50% of the marketshare back then. If anything the commerical helped them.

No matter how many people probably hate the lemmings commerical I still today think it's pretty fitting for most windows users. It's just not PC.

Maybe they can get Speilberg and Lucas to direct the commerical. That would be sweet.

X86BSD
Dec 23, 2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Maybe they can get Speilberg and Lucas to direct the commerical. That would be sweet.

Why not throw Pixar at it? I mean that's only obvious. :-)

Maybe a "Finding Apple" ad instead of Finding Nemo. Pixar could crank out a seriously bad ass commercial for them.

rdowns
Dec 23, 2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon

As I recall, they ran it locally twice so they would qualify for some ad award.

rdowns
Dec 23, 2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by iomar
I think the rerun of 1984 ad is a bad idea.

I agree.

A sequel would be nice. Show what happens to all the "lemmings" after the screen blows up. Successful, hip people using Macs in business and everyday life.

Cut to current day "lemmings" sitting in front of a screen with a Windows logo.

visor
Dec 23, 2003, 05:30 AM
Viewing the add, I think it's pretty neat. i also think it made sense to only run it once, but to a big crowd. It's heavy, and you're getting bored by it if you have to view it twice an hour. Just like watching a movie twice.

It sure doesn't make sense to run it unchanged again.
For one: it's not 1984. It makes a lot of difference.
another: it's not new. It rather reminds me of a pink floyd video
there are numerous other reasons ot to run it again. Even political ones, just look at all that terrorist bumf and all the military in the big cities.
Just like 1984 should have been named 2004 and be more true to live.

tny
Dec 23, 2003, 06:37 AM
Go to Mactopia. The top spot on the page is an ad for MS's presence at .....

MacWorld.

[shiver]

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

desdomg
Dec 23, 2003, 06:55 AM
It ran "Officially" in the UK lots of times on TV.

bwintx
Dec 23, 2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by rdowns
As I recall, they ran it locally twice so they would qualify for some ad award.

To be precise:

Apple-related products were frequently advertised with similar thin columns of text on a white background, an image of a Mac and often Apple's own logo. The notable exception to Apple's simple elegance is the initial television ad for the Macintosh, played only twice - at one a.m. on December 15 1983 on an obscure Twin Falls, Idaho station merely to qualify for the 1984 advertising awards (it won at least 35 for its creators at Chiat/Day, including the Grand Prix at Cannes); and at the January 22 Super Bowl, beginning a tradition of expensive Super Bowl-specific commercials (MacWorld, May/June 1984, p. 26).
-- http://www.landsnail.com/apple/local/design/design.html
Another page with interesting info about the ad (and a .mov file of it) is:
http://www.duke.edu/~tlove/mac.htm

aldo
Dec 23, 2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
The 1984 ad had nothing to do with the slip of marketshare. From 1984 and throught he late 80's Apple held 50% of the marketshare back then. If anything the commerical helped them.

Yes, but the computer market was about 0.1% as big as it is now, and the money involved nowadays makes it almost insignificant.

Apple has always shipped the same amount of units pretty much all through its history, but the market has always got bigger and bigger and apple can't keep up, so to speak.

Gymnut
Dec 23, 2003, 07:59 AM

Well Apple did spend a little over $125 million in advertising for 2003.

Lanbrown
Dec 23, 2003, 08:28 AM

I agree that they should not air an ad. The cost of advertising is ridiculous and will have little benefit. They could do a lot of advertising elsewhere with that money and get more of an impact.

Photorun
Dec 23, 2003, 08:49 AM
If that was Gates on that big screen (I know it's not but may as well) he says "we shall prevail" before getting the hammer. Sadly he has, a bit like Hitler, only protected by a capitalist government and the general US and world public (who should be bald like in the ad). Sad world, dumb planet, I want to get off... provided my Mac work in zero Gs.

ddbean
Dec 23, 2003, 10:06 AM
I'd rather see the hammer go through the new butterfly dude being used by msn. that costume is sooooo lammmmeee

pinto32
Dec 23, 2003, 10:16 AM
They should run the original ad, and then, instead of saying "On January 24, Apple Computer will release......." just say "Twenty years ago, Apple Computer released Macintosh, and the world has never been the same."

iChan
Dec 23, 2003, 10:32 AM
There was an article recently outlining the reasons for not producing an add with any reference to 1984 and any potential follies...

Simply rebroadcasting a 20 year old ad is just plain dumb, and if that happens... Apple doesn't deserve to be held in such high regard.

~Shard~
Dec 23, 2003, 10:35 AM
Kind of seems like a waste of money to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions, or whatever a SuperBowl ad costs, to rerun a 20-year-old commercial - at least make it a new one! I doubt many people will remember the original 1984 ad, and I don't know how many people will even get the reference to the novel either. If anything, people might think "Oh, there's Apple, running some stupid, old-looking computer ad - hmm, they must not have anything new to offer, and there's no reason to switch to them, so I'll just stay with my Dell."

imamacguy17
Dec 23, 2003, 12:37 PM
instead of reruning the old ads i think apple should start a new campaign kicking off at the superbowl. Do a 20 years deal. i think the way to go is a 60 second ad that has a guy in a recliner watching the 84 superbowl and watch the 1984 ad start, the in 30 seconds it speeds through a clip of every apple comercial ever ending with the woman and hammer from 1984. then screen goes blank. The man is now in present day (future of 5 years or so) and the man is surrounded by futuristic police with guns on him. one police officer has the 20th aniversary mac (a 1.5 g4 cube) and place the cube on the ground, the screen goes dark, gun fires, the man is lead out in hand cuffs (first time seeing his face its steve jobs) and the think different poem starts "here's to the crazy ones..."
and as the ad fades to black the rainbow apple makes an apperance and underneath it reads 20 years of nonconformity. macintosh.

for the entire rest of the year they blitz the market with all of the apple ads from the past 20 years with the same final ending. 20 years of.... macintosh. all in lower case in addition to new ads every month.

this campaign would be really really cool.

Pipian
Dec 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
Music - Us and THem- Pink Floyd

Music Plays while 2 screens are shown against a white back ground.. Windows and Mac Thru the years... and at the end, it says "Always has been and always will be better than Windows"

T.Rex
Dec 23, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
I personally think the original ad is more relevant than ever. Just change the person on the big screen to Bill Gates.

I agree, except the person on the screen should be George Bush, not Bill Gates.

TheInevitable
Dec 23, 2003, 04:10 PM
If Apple really has $100 million + advertising budget, then I say go for it on the superbowl ad. The ad is awesome, even to todays standards.

I think it would be cool to make a sequel to the 1984 ad: That woman running through the superbowl football field with her shirt off, and then getting arrested.

Awimoway
Dec 25, 2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by T.Rex
I agree, except the person on the screen should be George Bush, not Bill Gates.

:D Maybe they can lock arms and dance a creepy jig.

macshawnm
Jan 8, 2004, 11:38 AM
Apple has an add on the website www.apple.com/hardware/ads (i think)

The running woman has an ipod strapped to her, i smell a superbowl ad

Doctor Q
Jan 8, 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by macshawnm
Apple has an add on the website www.apple.com/hardware/ads (i think)

The running woman has an ipod strapped to her, i smell a superbowl ad But Apple doesn't post their ads in advance. If they have a Superbowl ad in the works, I'm sure they wouldn't let the cat out of the bag until the big day on February 1.

cajunmacaddict
Jan 25, 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by imamacguy17
instead of reruning the old ads i think apple should start a new campaign kicking off at the superbowl. Do a 20 years deal. i think the way to go is a 60 second ad that has a guy in a recliner watching the 84 superbowl and watch the 1984 ad start, the in 30 seconds it speeds through a clip of every apple comercial ever ending with the woman and hammer from 1984. then screen goes blank. The man is now in present day (future of 5 years or so) and the man is surrounded by futuristic police with guns on him. one police officer has the 20th aniversary mac (a 1.5 g4 cube) and place the cube on the ground, the screen goes dark, gun fires, the man is lead out in hand cuffs (first time seeing his face its steve jobs) and the think different poem starts "here's to the crazy ones..."
and as the ad fades to black the rainbow apple makes an apperance and underneath it reads 20 years of nonconformity. macintosh.

for the entire rest of the year they blitz the market with all of the apple ads from the past 20 years with the same final ending. 20 years of.... macintosh. all in lower case in addition to new ads every month.

this campaign would be really really cool.

OK -- they should've just hired you to produce a new ad!

Personally -- I believe it would be wonderful to see an ad during the superbowl -- but instead of just rerunning the 1984 ad, I was thinking that they should produce a new ad that references the old one... and I love the idea posted above!!!

OH -- and somewhere in the ad it should also reference "think different..."

Here's why Apple should run an ad --

1) to recognize the revolution that they started in 1984 -- really folks, the Mac did revolutionize computing... it had an impact on business, education, art and design, etc... not to mention the fact that it introduced the concept of the Graphical User Interface to the general public (it was around for a few years prior to 1984 -- but Apple finally got it out there to the public)... and we all know how Microsoft ripped off the idea and produced Windows a few years later...

2) to recognize the fact that the 1984 ad was the catalyst for the "Big Superbowl Ad" that so many other companies have produced since that year. Up until that one ad was shown, no one had put that kind of money into one ad spot. After that year, everyone was doing it.

As for how often the ad was shown -- other than the two official times (Superbowl and the local spot) -- it was shown a few times after than on some tv specials about great advertisements.

Just my thoughts... love Apple, love the Mac, and I for one will be watching this year's Superbowl with the anniversary in mind -- even if there is no ad shown...

Riggs
Jan 26, 2004, 07:36 AM
I think the ad should start of with a young Bill Gates watching the original 1984 ad. Bill would be all happy and smiling. It would start towards the end with the girl throwing the hammer through the screen. Then they cut to Bill as the guy talks about how Apple will introduce the Mac.

The smile has now gone to a frown and you hear the next ad start. Bill looks very pissed off at this point and gets up out of frame, saying "Son of a B-------!" with a nice Mac error sound (sosumi) bleeping out the "bitc#"

jmsait19
Jan 26, 2004, 05:22 PM
If I remember correctly when the 1984 ad was brought to the table, the people making the call didn't like it, but they couldn't sell their ad spot and there wasn't enough time to start over. So they ran the ad and as you well know it turns out to be one of the greatest ads ever.