Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Look's like Amiga Inc will have the PPC970 in their future, hopefully, if they can get OS 4.0 released.

Mai Logic is the supplier of the Articia Northbridge used in the current Amiga hardware.
Mai Logic, Inc. Licenses IBM(R)'S Elastic Interface Technology For Its Articia Chipset Family and Teron Series Systems in Support Of IBM(R)'S Powerpc(TM) 970 Microprocessor Family

FREMONT, Calif., Dec. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Mai Logic, Incorporated, a leading global semiconductor provider of bus-interface controller circuits, embedded platforms and total system solutions, announced today it is licensing IBM(R)'s ultra-high speed PowerPC(TM) 970 Elastic Interface technology. Mai Logic plans to incorporate IBM(R)'s Elastic Interface technology within its Articia I chipset and Teron I series system product offerings, working hand-in-hand with the PowerPC(TM) 970 microprocessors to help improve the performance of next generation embedded applications in consumer electronics, multimedia, storage, main-stream computing, servers and networking application for consumer, industrial and military implementations.

"IBM(R)'s latest licensing agreement with Mai Logic demonstrates the continuing momentum of the PowerPC(TM) 970 family in the market," said Mark Ireland, Manager of PowerPC(TM) Strategy and Business Development, IBM(R) Microelectronics. "Our relationship enables IBM(R) to provide Mai Logic with the latest, most innovative microprocessor core technology for their products while in turn, driving momentum for the PowerPC(TM) architecture in the embedded space."

...Mai Logic's feature-rich Articia I supports IBM(R) PowerPC(TM) 970 microprocessor, DDR 2 memory interface and other advanced peripheral interfaces such as PCI Express and PCI-X. The combination of IBM(R) PowerPC(TM) 970's performance speeds, the ultra high speed Elastic I/O technology and Mai Logic's AGP 8X compatible Articia I chipset represents a formidable solution in the embedded markets, particularly those requiring high resolution graphics such as multimedia, gaming, medical and aerospace industries. With built-in MPEG4 accelerator and TV decoder designed for developing integrated graphic and video subsystems, Articia I is well positioned to bridge the gap between the computer and the television as the worlds of entertainment and computing converge. Articia I is also equipped with self-repairing and self-testing functions to ensure performance
stability...

[delete to end]
Thanks for pointing out the news RandyB and M.Isobe

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
As a quick btw. here's a link to a (confidential) pps file containing (p 16 - 17) the block diagrams of the Articia I and Is.

And as a quick warning, that pps is rater large, and it's largely in chinese ... well not the block dagrams fortunately.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Eric_Z said:
And as a quick warning, that pps is rater large, and it's largely in chinese ... well not the block dagrams fortunately.
Thanks Eric_Z,

This is the first sign of a Linux PPC970 machine, that doesn't use the IBM/Apple U3 Controller.

Good news for giving IBM/Apple a swift kick in the ass to keep ahead of the competition -- and Mai Logic is already showing PCI-Express/DDR2 on this chipset.

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Sun Baked said:
Thanks Eric_Z,

This is the first sign of a Linux PPC970 machine, that doesn't use the IBM/Apple U3 Controller.

Heh here's one Amiga nutter that hopes that it'll(Teron I) be used for more then Linux. ;) And it does mention OS4 on p.33.

Good news for giving IBM/Apple a swift kick in the ass to keep ahead of the competition -- and Mai Logic is already showing PCI-Express/DDR2 on this chipset.

True, will be very interesting to see if Apple will bother with DDR-II just yet though, IMHO the advantage of DDR-II isn't obvoius untill you start using PC2-5400 or PC2-6400 due to poorer latency, and those memory modules that support those clock rates aren't exactly abundent on the market today. And those that exist aren't exactly cheap from what I've seen so far.

Not that I'd complain an awfully lot if Apple released a nice new 3Ghz dual Power Mac with PC2-5400/PC2-6400 and PCI-Express support. *drools* :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.