PDA

View Full Version : Accidently Purchased An App - What Can I Do Now?

HelixOmnimedia
Jul 18, 2008, 05:16 AM
OH MY GOD!

I accidently purchased an application that i will never ever use and it cost me $9.99. It was for the "My Life Record Personal Edition"

I was browsing the Healthcare and Fitness section, and accidently clicked on Buy App

Any idea what I can do now. Will I be able to get a refund? and if so, how would i go about getting one.

Thanks for help and advice

razorianfly
Jul 18, 2008, 05:35 AM
I would contact iTunes Customer Support using the below link:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser/

The only problem is, as I presume you've gathered by now, is that you can't prove you did it 'accidentally'.

They may give you store credit to the value of the accidentally downloaded app, then again they may say, tough luck, you click the button.

Just explain what happened to them, and hopefully they will sympathise.

R-Fly

kis
Jul 18, 2008, 05:40 AM
OH MY GOD!

I accidently purchased an application that i will never ever use and it cost me $9.99. It was for the "My Life Record Personal Edition"

not sure you can do much there - just be happy that it wasn't the one going for 499$

onemanarmy333
Jul 18, 2008, 06:47 AM
apple need to improve the buying app system to protect people from buying insanly expensive apps like myaccountstogo.

stockcerts
Jul 18, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hmmm, I trying to understand why this is a big issue, $9.99?

Brianstorm91
Jul 18, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hmmm, I trying to understand why this is a big issue, $9.99?

Because they'd rather spend it on something that they want.

xmnj
Jul 18, 2008, 06:57 AM
Set your iTunes shopping preference to 'Buy using shopping cart', that way if you accidentally click on buying something, it's easy to just remove it from your shopping cart without being charged.

diamond.g
Jul 18, 2008, 07:04 AM
Set your iTunes shopping preference to 'Buy using shopping cart', that way if you accidentally click on buying something, it's easy to just remove it from your shopping cart without being charged.

Doesn't work for Apps. They ignore the shopping cart.

dalvin200
Jul 18, 2008, 07:06 AM
not sure you can do much there - just be happy that it wasn't the one going for 499$

which one was that? ;)

QuarterSwede
Jul 18, 2008, 07:11 AM
Doesn't work for Apps. They ignore the shopping cart.
That's something they need to fix.

TBi
Jul 18, 2008, 07:13 AM
Talk to apple. They should be able to refund you.

Donz0r
Jul 18, 2008, 08:56 AM
Talk to apple. They should be able to refund you.

+1
They will refund it, and if the person won't, hang up, call back, talk to a new person.

You won't have a problem.

kis
Jul 18, 2008, 08:58 AM
which one was that? ;)

myaccountstogo - one very expensive iPhone App...

cyclingplatypus
Jul 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
apple need to improve the buying app system to protect people from buying insanly expensive apps like myaccountstogo.

Ummm....no, you have to click on the link twice to download an app and that's after you type in your password, Apple doesn't need to change anything people just need to pay more attention.

megahertz
Jul 18, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ummm....no, you have to click on the link twice to download an app and that's after you type in your password, Apple doesn't need to change anything people just need to pay more attention.

Wrong.

That's on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Most people buy their apps on iTunes, where you're usually logged in so it's just 1-click to buy something.

ucfgrad93
Jul 18, 2008, 10:28 AM
Talk to Apple, hopefully they will refund your money. If not be thankful that is only $10. Let us know what happens.

cyclingplatypus
Jul 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
Wrong.

That's on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Most people buy their apps on iTunes, where you're usually logged in so it's just 1-click to buy something.

No you are wrong, even on iTunes it is the end user who is responsible, I don't want Apple to be required to add another step to purchasing either via iTunes or iPhone/Touch. If you have a problem in itunes perhaps you should use a cart or require a password to purchase don't punish the majority of customers because a few users have problems.

SteveLV702
Jul 18, 2008, 04:13 PM
my question is how you accidently purchase an application when I go to purchase an application via iTunes I click buy it then asks me if I am sure and I then click Buy Now.... when on the App Store I have to click Buy then it changes green to install and once I click it then it asks me to enter my iTunes password....

severe
Jul 18, 2008, 04:51 PM
my question is how you accidently purchase an application when I go to purchase an application via iTunes I click buy it then asks me if I am sure and I then click Buy Now.... when on the App Store I have to click Buy then it changes green to install and once I click it then it asks me to enter my iTunes password....

I was thinking the same thing.

Night Spring
Jul 18, 2008, 06:34 PM
The one time I bought a paid application, I clicked "Buy App" and the app started downloading without asking me for any further confirmation. And no, I'm not going to start clicking on "Buy App" buttons just to see if it happens again.
(Edit: This was in iTunes. On my Touch, it asks me to enter my password, even when I'm downloading a free application.)

dangleheart
Jul 18, 2008, 11:10 PM
The one time I bought a paid application, I clicked "Buy App" and the app started downloading without asking me for any further confirmation. And no, I'm not going to start clicking on "Buy App" buttons just to see if it happens again.
(Edit: This was in iTunes. On my Touch, it asks me to enter my password, even when I'm downloading a free application.)

That is what I was going to say too. There is no difference between getting a free application and buying an application. They have to put up an alert that your account will be charged so much. I do not know why people have such a big problem with that one extra step.

marksman
Jul 19, 2008, 01:24 AM
I don't get it either. I have to give my password, click install and whatever button like 3 times.

Can someone please explain to me how you accidently buy an app?

Are you saying that when browsing, you simply click one button and bam it is downloaded and on your phone with no extra button pushes, keystrokes or password requirements?

Please tell me how/what/where because I have not had that happen once. So i am curious to see it.

Was this on the phone or through iTunes?

By the way, that app looks pretty cool. Having all your medical records at a fingers touch could come in handy some day.

AceFernalld
Jul 19, 2008, 04:34 AM
As R-Fly said, contact iTunes Support via the webpage. They will refund you, trust me. They refund EVERYTHING.

I purchased the app Sketches when it was $7.99, a few days later the price was lowered by $2.00 so I contacted them asking if I could have the $2.00 refunded. She then said she would refund my account the $7.99 and the application is still on my computer and iPod :confused::confused:

Night Spring
Jul 19, 2008, 06:19 AM
Are you saying that when browsing, you simply click one button and bam it is downloaded and on your phone with no extra button pushes, keystrokes or password requirements?

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me. And it was on iTunes.

Have you ever tried buying an app through iTunes? Or do you always do it through your Phone/Touch?

kwarren
Jul 19, 2008, 06:29 AM
Have you ever tried buying an app through iTunes? Or do you always do it through your Phone/Touch?

I know exactly how you feel. Luckily though, my mistake was a $.99 purchase of ColorTilt, which isn't actually that bad.

In my iTunes (I have 'Buy with a Shopping Cart' turned on), I am never asked to enter my password or confirm that I do want to purchase the app if I click 'Buy' when I'm browsing the pages of apps. But, if I'm on the app's actual page and click 'Buy', I am always asked to confirm my intent to purchase and download.

Just my 2.

aosman
Jul 19, 2008, 06:44 AM

That was exactly my reaction. It would suck to accidentally download the $450+ apps.

Zathu
Jul 19, 2008, 08:49 AM
This happened to me last night too.. Way too easy to buy something accidentally.

apfhex
Jul 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you have a problem in itunes perhaps you should use a cart or require a password to purchase don't punish the majority of customers because a few users have problems.
That's exactly what people are compiling about. The Shopping Cart feature of the iTunes Store doesn't work with apps. No one would be "punished" by Apple fixing this feature, as the people who don't want it already have it turned off.

And to add my 2, the couple apps I've bought through iTunes did not require me to enter my password. They were downloaded as soon as I clicked Buy App.

MathiasMag
Jul 23, 2008, 10:02 PM
I just tested. I got a popup saying that my credit card will be charged. I could check "do not display this next time", but without that it ought to pop up every time.

LoganT
Jul 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
I just tested. I got a popup saying that my credit card will be charged. I could check "do not display this next time", but without that it ought to pop up every time.

I think that's the problem. I figured I wouldn't need it so I checked the do not display next time button. I came across this 450 dollar application and realized that was a bad idea. So everyone who is having trouble go into your account on Itunes and reset all warnings, it will then ask you if you are sure you want to buy it.

MojoWill
Jul 24, 2008, 01:02 AM
you have to press it twice to buy it! so not sure they will give you your money back!

diamond.g
Jul 24, 2008, 06:04 AM
you have to press it twice to buy it! so not sure they will give you your money back!

That is only the case on the iPhone itself. In iTunes if you don't actually look at the app details it is a 1-click insta-buy.

mcavjame
Jul 24, 2008, 06:32 AM
I have never turned off the confirmation dialog. I guess at some point you must have. I have one-click purchase enabled, but I am always asked to confirm the purchase as indicated in this dialog.

BTW - in iTunes you are only asked for the password if you are not logged in. Once the first purchase has been made, you are logged in to iTunes.

TBi
Jul 24, 2008, 06:35 AM

And if some idiot (or child) buys a load of apps on your account by mistake they won't refund you either?

sushi
Jul 24, 2008, 06:41 AM

I was browsing the Healthcare and Fitness section, and accidently clicked on Buy App
Others have made suggestions on how to get your funds back.

For the future, I would suggest that you turn on confirmation so that when you click on something to purchase it, a dialog will appear asking you to confirm. This gives you protection against accidental clicks.

I have never turned off the confirmation dialog. I guess at some point you must have. I have one-click purchase enabled, but I am always asked to confirm the purchase as indicated in this dialog.
Personally, I use the confirmation dialog all the time. It's a little slower because it adds a step in the process, but it keeps you from making an accidental purchase.

Night Spring
Jul 24, 2008, 07:15 AM

I've never seen a confirmation dialogue like that. I did get a dialogue asking me if I wanted iTunes to "remember this password for purchase" when I signed in to my account. But I didn't get any confirmation dialogue when I made my app purchase.

And I do have the shopping cart turned on.