PDA

View Full Version : Does Apple keep your repairs on file?

maclover001
Jul 20, 2008, 11:14 PM
Okay,
I spilled water on my iPod Touch, sent it to Apple for repair, then it came back rejected because they said it had water damage.

If I let it dry in the sun for a week, then send it back again, will they know that I sent it the first time? This would be under a different Apple ID, but obviously under the same serial number.

Thanks

cosmokanga2
Jul 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
I believe Apple keeps all of the repair information tied to the serial number rather than a user.

mando1246
Jul 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
it is all recorded in the system under the serial number and they won't help you without the serial number. Regardless, water damage causes corrosion and whatnot and you can't get rid of that, even by drying it out.

Sun Baked
Jul 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
Unless you replace the water damage indicator, you are still sunk.

Look into the headphone jack if it is pink, the warranty is gone. (I think that was the color it turned)

maclover001
Jul 20, 2008, 11:28 PM
Unless you replace the water damage indicator, you are still sunk.

Look into the headphone jack if it is pink, the warranty is gone. (I think that was the color it turned)

Err, sorry if this is not forum-appropriate, but if I DID put a piece of paper over the water sensor, then send it back, will they see the previous rejected repair and not repair the iPod this time?

mando1246
Jul 20, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yes they will.
Everything is associated with the serial number of the unit. Every time you even call it is kept on file with a case number and the agent(s) who dealt with the case. Therefore all your case notes are visible to any apple TSR who brings up your product via serial number or your own personal identification ie: phone number address etc
Also, as I previously stated, water damage in electronics causes corrosion which you can't fake.

maclover001
Jul 20, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yes they will.
Everything is associated with the serial number of the unit. Every time you even call it is kept on file with a case number and the agent(s) who dealt with the case. Therefore all your case notes are visible to any apple TSR who brings up your product via serial number or your own personal identification ie: phone number address etc
Also, as I previously stated, water damage in electronics causes corrosion which you can't fake.

Really? When I put my serial number into Apple's support website, it says my warranty is still valid.

mando1246
Jul 20, 2008, 11:43 PM
Your warranty is still valid. A warranty however does not cover accidental damage...this includes water damage. It only protects you from manufacturer defects and freak hardware/ software happenings. So, although you still have warranty the warranty will not cover this type of damage.