PDA

View Full Version : If I jailbreak my new 3G iphone can I still use iTunes and the apps store?

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 09:34 AM
If I jailbreak my new 3G iphone can I still use iTunes and the apps store?

Thanks

Tallest Skil
Jul 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yes.

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 09:41 AM
So if I jailbreak it, iTunes will act like I didn't jailbreak it? And do you know the best way to jailbreak a 3G iphone?

Thanks

Tallest Skil
Jul 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
Best way? Try the only way: Pwnage.

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 09:50 AM
I don't have mac, so i can't use Pwnage. But I found this way http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/jailbreak-3g.html#more.

Thanks

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 09:57 AM
If I jailbreak it is there a way to undo the jailbreak?

Thanks

stevepeck
Jul 21, 2008, 10:23 AM
Just jailbreak it...what have you to lose?...at the end of the day if your gonna build a brick wall in your garden you'll allways have a spare brick.
Cant understand why you guys doit...greed...to be clever...BRAVE?

Tallest Skil
Jul 21, 2008, 10:26 AM

To get apps that Apple doesn't sanction, to have lower-level control over our iPhones, and to use whatever carrier we want (Unlocking requires jailbreaking).

Warbrain
Jul 21, 2008, 11:46 AM

Thanks

Restore with the Apple firmware.

mustang_dvs
Jul 21, 2008, 11:58 AM

Put the phone back into DFU mode and restore using the stock firmware via iTunes -- you'll have a vanilla iPhone and your data. (The process is more complicated if you have unlocked it for use with another carrier.)

Just jailbreak it...what have you to lose?...at the end of the day if your gonna build a brick wall in your garden you'll allways have a spare brick.
Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_jail) doesn't brick phones (unless you use ZiPhone) -- unlocking for use with an unauthorized carrier, by changing the modem firmware, can.

I don't see how "greed" comes into play. Personally, I like having full access to the *nix subsystem of my MacOS devices.

meagain
Jul 21, 2008, 12:16 PM
Problem is - I'm not seeing any apps available on Cydia really.

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 12:21 PM
If I use Pwnage tool 2.0 is there a chance that it may brick my iPhone 3G?

Thanks

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
mustang_dvs you said "Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail doesn't brick phones" does that mean that if I jailbreak it with Pwnage tool 2.0, it will not brick?

spinstorm
Jul 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
A jailbreak on its own (without unlocking the iPhone - which is not yet possible on the 3G) will NOT brick your phone.

It is impossible as all it is doing is moving a few files and adding a few things and not touching the data communications part at all.

A normal restore to Apple firmware will put it back to factory settings.

Jailbreaks are fully reversible - no risk at all! So go for it!

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
So there's no chance of bricking it.

Thank you!!!

mustang_dvs
Jul 21, 2008, 03:36 PM
mustang_dvs you said "Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail doesn't brick phones" does that mean that if I jailbreak it with Pwnage tool 2.0, it will not brick?

If you're just using the simple mode and are using a "legit" phone, it will not brick, so long as you do not interrupt the software update (and if you do, it's still recoverable).

If you mess with the bootloader (iPhone firmware) or baseband (modem firmware) -- both only necessary if you're unlocking for use with a non-official carrier -- you run the risk of bricking the phone.

MrBackUp
Jul 21, 2008, 04:41 PM
I know someone with a powerpc mac. If I use his mac to jailbreak it, will it work with my windows pc after?

Thanks

bubbagumpshrimp
Jul 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
Once you JB your phone do you not continue to use itunes software updates? And if you did (assuming its not advised) what would happen?
thanks

LSUtigers03
Jul 21, 2008, 06:12 PM
Once you JB your phone do you not continue to use itunes software updates? And if you did (assuming its not advised) what would happen?
thanks

Nothing bad will happen to the phone it just won't be jailbroken anymore.

rhett7660
Jul 21, 2008, 06:59 PM
Not to be a prick, but do a search. All the questions you are asking have been asked and answered already.

mcdj
Jul 21, 2008, 07:08 PM
I know someone with a powerpc mac. If I use his mac to jailbreak it, will it work with my windows pc after?

Thanks

obviously you're not an iPhone developer. and you can't unlock a 3g yet, so do yourself a favor, and us, and forget about jailbreaking until there are more apps available via jailbreak. right now it's just developer apps. no themes, no games, no fun stuff. it's all stuff that's way over your (and mine and most people's) head.

jschact6
Aug 3, 2010, 09:41 PM
So if I jailbreak it, iTunes will act like I didn't jailbreak it? And do you know the best way to jailbreak a 3G iphone?

Thanks

Well if you want to jailbreak it the easiest way then use JailBreakMe. All you do is go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone or iPod Touch and it will download the files for you and it takes but less than a minute. Then presto! A jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch.

Note:
I know it works for iOS4 but if you have something else it might still work.
:apple:

bw1128
Aug 3, 2010, 09:46 PM
Put the phone back into DFU mode and restore using the stock firmware via iTunes -- you'll have a vanilla iPhone and your data. (The process is more complicated if you have unlocked it for use with another carrier.)

Jailbreaking, altering the OS to work around the chroot jail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_jail) doesn't brick phones (unless you use ZiPhone) -- unlocking for use with an unauthorized carrier, by changing the modem firmware, can.

I don't see how "greed" comes into play. Personally, I like having full access to the *nix subsystem of my MacOS devices.

what does DFU mode mean? how do you do that?

moussekateer
Aug 3, 2010, 09:52 PM
Well if you want to jailbreak it the easiest way then use JailBreakMe. All you do is go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone or iPod Touch and it will download the files for you and it takes but less than a minute. Then presto! A jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch.

Note:
I know it works for iOS4 but if you have something else it might still work.
:apple:

I know it's your first post but still. Do you not realize this thread finished 2 years ago?

Snowman3459
Aug 3, 2010, 10:22 PM
I know it's your first post but still. Do you not realize this thread finished 2 years ago?

The sad thing is, he actually had to search for this thread.

Elladan11
Aug 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
Be gentle with me folks - this is my first post and I'm kinda a novice when it comes to these things, although I do program VBA in Access for a living, so I'm not totally stupid. I haven't even begun to explore jailbreaking though, and I think I have a rather unique situtation, so I'm hoping for your help.

I have an iPhone 3g. Not the 3gS, but the older 3g. It is still normally connected through iTunes, except that I stopped updating the OS with 3.0.1, and I setup tethering with BenM.at (http://help.benm.at/help.php) (truth is, I upgraded to 3.1 like a dummy, lost the ability to tether and figured out how to downgrade again to 3.0.1). Ever since, I haven't upgraded the OS firmware because I really like the ability to tether directly to my MacBook Pro.

Now I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone because I was interested in a piece of software to make it a WiFi hotspot (to allow the iPad to have internet access through the 3G network). I still have a grandfather plan with AT&T, so I have unlimited data access.

All that being said, do you guys know if I'll still be able to tether once I jailbreak? Can I still jailbreak with such an old OS? Or should I just give it all up and forget about it? I'm not upset about using iTunes and the Apps store, but I do like the tethering aspect, and I don't want to lose that - it's worth cash to me to be able to keep it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

JCCL
Aug 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
Just point Safari on you iPhone 3g to http://jailbreakme.com and you should be all set.

Elladan11
Aug 19, 2010, 01:35 PM
Just point Safari on you iPhone 3g to http://jailbreakme.com and you should be all set.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it says that my "Version too old. You need to upgrade using iTunes before you can use this site." However, if that means upgrading my OS, I'm lothe to do that and possibly lose my tethering.

On the other hand, I just found out about a program called "TetherMe" that's supposed to be available to tether even iPhone 4.0 machines....anyone know about this yet?