Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macenstein notes that WordPress's native iPhone App is "In Review" by Apple.
“We have not been provided with an ETA,” write Raanan, “so it could get approved at any time”. Check out the below video to see the iPhone WordPress client in action.
The WordPress iPhone App will allow publishers to publish and edit their WordPress-powered blogs straight from their iPhone. This video shows it in action. WordPress for iPhone works for both standalone and hosted WordPress-powered sites.

WordPress is a popular blog publishing platform available at WordPress.org.

Article Link

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
whats the obsession with blogging?

Maybe i just don't get it, but it just seems totally selfserving, who really gives a **ap about your blog..?!

No onee!
(unless its macrumors which isn't really a blog right)? :confused:

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
Sweet, this is the app I've been waiting for! Time to make it big time like Arn, and blog my heart out!

Yea, it's not going to happen, but I'm still really looking forward to this app.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007

Maybe i just don't get it, but it just seems totally selfserving, who really gives a **ap about your blog..?!

No onee!

While you have a point, I've found another good use. I have a private family Wordpress 'blog' that I use strictly as a family site. We have many friends and family who visit for photos and the latest news. For that type of website, Wordpress (and other blogs) are ideal. Easy to update, people can subscribe to the feed, etc. And it can be totally private.

I agree with you, though, on typical blogs. Attention whores the lot of 'em! :)

wolfenkraft

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Privately hosted?

While you have a point, I've found another good use. I have a private family Wordpress 'blog' that I use strictly as a family site. We have many friends and family who visit for photos and the latest news. For that type of website, Wordpress (and other blogs) are ideal. Easy to update, people can subscribe to the feed, etc. And it can be totally private.

That is a good idea, however have they said whether this app will only work with wordpress hosted blogs? wordpress-powered doesn't necessarily any blog based on wordpress...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apparently it's just the iPhone simulator... see how they've only got 3 applications in the homescreen and 2 in the dock?

Of course... I guess that's to be expected if they havn't had it aproved yet. They could have faked it at least... (maybe made empty applications that have the same name/icons as the default iPhone applications.)

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
That is a good idea, however have they said whether this app will only work with wordpress hosted blogs? wordpress-powered doesn't necessarily any blog based on wordpress...

The story says it will work on standalone Wordpress sites, so I'm assuming so. I'll be bummed if they don't. But given that it all runs the same software, there's no reason it couldn't work with a privately-hosted site.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO

exactly...I have a blog for my teaching...where students and parents checkout to see what I'm up to regarding the class...Parents and students love it...I update my blog every other day, this app would be cool

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

No onee!

Everybody has to start somewhere, don't they?

I just read a story about Arn in the NY Times, congrats to all his success!!

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
This is one app I've been looking forward to. Can't come soon enough.

BTW, Wordpress makes it easy to build and manage 'traditional' websites too, not just blogs.

-g-

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Oh! Oh! Can't wait...

This is exactly what I need. Now I won't have to try and figure out how to set up posting and adding photos through an e-mail interface.

dickovski

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
I am a web designer and wordpress powers about 30 of my sites and not one of them is a blog. Wordpress is so much more than a blogging tool and this app will mean I can leave the laptop at home when I go away - Fantastic

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)

LOL, my wife said the same thing about e-mail 15 years ago.

There is a big difference between "blogging" and "blogs". Blogging is just a way to create text on a web site and have others be able to add to original post. Essentially, most news sites are really blogging their stories instead of simply posting them.

Blogging is here to stay.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

No onee!

I use Wordpress for a devblog on my site, and it's a brilliant service. I can already access my Wordpress admin site from my iPod Touch but a proper app to handle it would be really appreciated.

I am a web designer and wordpress powers about 30 of my sites and not one of them is a blog. Wordpress is so much more than a blogging tool and this app will mean I can leave the laptop at home when I go away - Fantastic

Heh, same here. I used to run a site for a local business entirely from Wordpress, modded to high heaven so anyone could make updates by even just sending an email to the right address. Really effin useful!

jfruh

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
What does this app do that you couldn't do just logging into WP's control panel using Safari? Is it just neatly formatted for the iPhone window?

jf

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007

No onee!

What is the ovsession with commenting on forums?

Maybe I just don't get it, but it just seems totally selfserving, who really gives a **ap about your comments..?!

No onee!

Well it's all relative I guess isn't it. I know lots of prejudiced blog haters that broad brush all blogs without really understanding the diversity of blogs today. There are several blogs I read regularly varying from MacRumors to my friend living in Paris.. blogs that cover subjects from current news events focused on one subject that interests me to people who's writing I simply enjoy reading.

In terms of personal blogs, one might as well ask who reads newspaper columnists or the editoral section of the newspaper which in some cases are quite similar.

One might also consider how many people they personally know that say "I'd like to write a book..." or "I'd like to be a writer someday...". Blogs are just another path to realizing that dream of communicating and sharing thoughts and ideas.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
What does this app do that you couldn't do just logging into WP's control panel using Safari? Is it just neatly formatted for the iPhone window?

jf

Neatly formatted counts for a lot... but uploading photos from your phone to your site is great feature that I'm not sure you can do from the web control panel (I haven't actually tried since the iPhone 2.0 update).

Edit: Ok, I just tried. The "choose file" button is grayed out, so it looks like you can't currently choose a file from your phone and add it to a post using the web control panel.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Bah, how about a LiveJournal app for my iPhone! :)
+1! I'm hoping someone's on that already. I'd use that a lot!

I don't understand people who say "nobody cares". That's insane. Just because I don't care about most people's blogs doesn't mean nobody does.. I don't expect anyone but my friends to read mine, but they *do* read it and they *do* care.. I read theirs and care, I'm interested in their opinions and lives. I've found out a lot of stuff about people. :)

Loads of us have friends online, what's wrong with keeping up to date with what they're doing? I've never "got" people who put an iron curtain between the reader and content creators.. Especially nonsensical when they're posting on the internet themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.