PDA

View Full Version : iPhone's reaction to magnets

Bettermann09
Jul 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
I found an old leather holster that came with my old T-Mobile Dash (WM :p) and the latch on it is magnetic. Is the iPhone affected by magnets? I know that some screens are and some are not.

nickspohn
Jul 23, 2008, 12:19 AM
No.

It's mainly CRT's that are effected by them.

Next Tuesday
Jul 23, 2008, 12:22 AM
No.

It's mainly CRT's that are effected by them.

I heard magnet cases are bad.

nickspohn
Jul 23, 2008, 12:23 AM
Well, it doesn't hurt it. :p

At least i think. I'm not a magtologist.

Bettermann09
Jul 23, 2008, 12:43 AM
I was just doing some more research on it and someone said it messes up the sim card. I'm not a magnetologist either... ;)

Van Wildonher
Jul 23, 2008, 12:48 AM
What makes you think the magnet from the latch on your case would cause any harm to the iPhone. It's weak... not like it's some super powered magnet or something.

SIM card, I doubt it. Who says that? Just some random guy, or somebody that knows what they're talking about?

philgilder
Jul 23, 2008, 01:18 AM
the magnets used are not strong enough to do any damage

magnets only really cause problems with CRTs, as said, and hard drives (but not flash as found on iphone) if they are strong enough

memesmith
Jul 23, 2008, 05:42 AM
Tell you what does happen though. Every time I put a parking ticked with a magnetic strip into the same pocket as my iPhone, the parking ticket becomes unreadable.

adamerr
Jul 23, 2008, 06:10 AM
magnets cause problems with microwaves...
like short-circuiting them.

dont ask.
it just happened. :p

tiguk
Jul 23, 2008, 06:22 AM
Tell you what does happen though. Every time I put a parking ticked with a magnetic strip into the same pocket as my iPhone, the parking ticket becomes unreadable.

Same here with my train ticket. Went to London yesterday and the flippin ticket wouldn't work on any of the London Underground gates. Really annoying!

gowanis
Jul 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
i have used two different magnet flip cases with my iPhone and also a magnet case with my iPod Touch and have had no related problems.

iGotMac
Jul 23, 2008, 10:01 AM
For what it's worth, I had bought a magnet case for my 1st GEN iPhone, and whenever I placed the phone in it, the battery life substantially reduced. I found myself with a dead battery about half-way through my work shift, when I had charged it at home prior to leaving. :eek:

I stopped using the case, and the battery life is normal now.

BobF4321
Jul 23, 2008, 10:05 AM
Same here with my train ticket. Went to London yesterday and the flippin ticket wouldn't work on any of the London Underground gates. Really annoying!

hmmm.... I wonder if it causes problems with the magstripe on credit cards! I have been walking around for two days with the iPhone and wallet in the same pocket.

Alphi14
Jun 27, 2009, 07:29 PM
hmmm.... I wonder if it causes problems with the magstripe on credit cards! I have been walking around for two days with the iPhone and wallet in the same pocket.

I keep my iphone 3GS in my left front pocket and my wallet with credit cards in my left rear pocket. Today I discovered that both my ATM and Visa cards could not be read. This is like a separation of about 7" through my thigh. Could the RF be that strong?

Maverick713
Jun 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
I heard magnet cases are bad.

Don't use a large magnet like from a fridge the ones on the holsters arn't that strong. My wife had hers in a holster though not on her hip when it was stolen :mad:

Maverick713
Jun 27, 2009, 07:37 PM
I keep my iphone 3GS in my left front pocket and my wallet with credit cards in my left rear pocket. Today I discovered that both my ATM and Visa cards could not be read. This is like a separation of about 7" through my thigh. Could the RF be that strong?

your leg is made of paper, other wise it has to be some outside factor maybe one of those pads that say don't place cards here

Rat-Boy
Jun 27, 2009, 07:43 PM
I carried my 3G in a Motorola Q case for a year, which has a magnet.

Zero issues.

Now, the 3GS, with a compass, the jury is out.

I have read that Apple suggests NOT to use cases with magnets, but who knows really.

steve knight
Jun 27, 2009, 07:47 PM
actually most of the cases I have used have rare earth magnets in them. far more powerful then a fridge magnet. they are very strong for their size. any other magnet would be too weak to hold much.

weeman
Jun 27, 2009, 07:50 PM
I carried my 3G in a Motorola Q case for a year, which has a magnet.

Zero issues.

Now, the 3GS, with a compass, the jury is out.

I have read that Apple suggests NOT to use cases with magnets, but who knows really.

I'm using a blackberry storm case with my 3GS and doesn't look like there's any issues so far...after reading this post I'm not too sure if I want to use it any more...

Randman
Jun 27, 2009, 07:52 PM
Apple recommends against cases and holsters with magnetic latches for the iPhone 3GS as the magnetic field (even a weak one) can throw off the calibration of the magnetometer. This can result in GPS inaccuracies.

megapopular
Jun 27, 2009, 07:58 PM
Sit 2 3GS's directly next to each other in compass mode, they throw each other off rather dramatically by 24 degrees. I wouldn't put it near other magnets because they may negatively affect the
compass feature.

coolwater
Jun 27, 2009, 08:41 PM
Generally, magnets and electronics don't match. No matter how weak the magnets are, I wouldn't have them together just to be safe.

Stone 13
Jun 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
I'm having an issue now with the magnetic compass in my SUV and my 3GS, when I get in my truck which has a magnetic compass, the 3GS compass always requires calibration and prompts me to do the "figure 8" which doesn't take, the phone compass just won't calibrate. As soon as I get out, the 3GS compass is working normally. So I would say magnets are probably bad............

weeman
Jun 27, 2009, 09:10 PM
Magnetic interference does create the figure 8 calibration screen to pop up, but since I am not using it while it is holstered, I don't really mind...

But on the other hand, will it cause damage to the compass/phone in the long run?

NYR99
Jun 27, 2009, 09:28 PM
I was always afraid to use a magnetic holster for my iPhone 2G, then 3G, so I used a velcro one. Then when I got the 3GS I got an Incase Slider, therefor the iPhone wouldn't fit inside the holster I previously had for my 2G/3G. I went to Best Buy in search of a new holster that would fit the iPhone with the case on it. After a few minutes of searching, I finally found one, but it was magnetic! :eek:

Then I said F it, and bought it. I've been using it for two weeks now, and have had zero negative effects. I will never go back to a velcro holster again. Magnetic ones are so much nicer. :cool:

chriszzz
Jun 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
hard drives (but not flash as found on iphone) if they are strong enough

Unless you have a ridiculously strong magnet, like the ones found in professional degaussers, you're not going to do anything to a hard drive with a magnet.

kdarling
Jun 27, 2009, 10:25 PM
Apple recommends against cases and holsters with magnetic latches for the iPhone 3GS as the magnetic field (even a weak one) can throw off the calibration of the magnetometer. This can result in GPS inaccuracies.

Yes Apple says to keep even the earbuds away because their magnets will throw off the compass. (The compass has nothing to do with GPS, btw.)

They also recommend taking it out of a magnetic case if it's not receiving well:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2342

I'm having an issue now with the magnetic compass in my SUV and my 3GS, when I get in my truck which has a magnetic compass, the 3GS compass always requires calibration and prompts me to do the "figure 8" which doesn't take, the phone compass just won't calibrate.

This should be a sticky: Apple says to NOT try calibrating the compass while inside a car. Which makes sense; waving it around just exposes it to random influences. Mount it on the windshield and wait for it to figure things out:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767

PNutts
Jun 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
...not on her hip when it was stolen :mad:

Wow. It would have been worse to also lose the iPhone. :p

Maverick713
Jun 27, 2009, 10:58 PM
Wow. It would have been worse to also lose the iPhone. :p

She did, it was in the holster not on her hip, did i not make that clear?

medicrx
Jun 27, 2009, 11:33 PM
I had a case with a magnet for my old phone, an LG8700. Everytime the phone would ring, when I would take it out of the holster, somehow, the magnet would cause the call to go directly to voicemail. Darndest thing! Needless to say, once i figured out it was the case causing the problem, it wasn't my case anymore.

Stone 13
Jun 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
This should be a sticky: Apple says to NOT try calibrating the compass while inside a car. Which makes sense; waving it around just exposes it to random influences. Mount it on the windshield and wait for it to figure things out:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767

Thanks for the link, this exactly describes my issue. Tried out the solution and the compass calibrated itself in about 3 minutes.

kdarling
Jun 28, 2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the link, this exactly describes my issue. Tried out the solution and the compass calibrated itself in about 3 minutes.

Excellent.

Built-in car compasses are calibrated the same way: after a few turns, they figure everything out. In fact, going to a parking lot and driving in a slow circle 3-4 times will usually do it... although everyone watching will think you're nuts :)

RamSlack
Jun 28, 2009, 02:10 PM
Funny this was mentioned.

I was using my 3Gs maps in the car today and noticed that when I held it in my left hand next to the steering wheel, it constantly asked me to move my phone in a figure 8 to calibrate the compass. When I moved it away, it worked just fine. I realized that the car speaker on the door was causing the compass to wig out on the 3Gs.

Exley
Jun 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
I don't see any reason why the original iPhone or the 3G would be harmed or even slightly affected by a magnet, even a strong one.

I think the idea that electronics and magnets donít mix came from the fact that they could erase floppy discs and cassette tapes. Everything stored on the iPhone is stored in flash memory, which is not affected by magnets.

The iPhone 3Gs might be diffrent though since it has a compass.